Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Good luck, Kalessin! You're doing a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

BLUF: let me try this intro posting thing to not evoke unabashed shitlordism
SUBJ: Hi
REF: a. escaped many generations of poverty
b. grew up in a falling apart trailer
c. by statistically unlikely events i am alive today
d. by additional statistically unlikely events i got a scholarship
e. by even more statistically unlikely events my poor rear end got selected for some fancy nerd degrees at a fancy nerd school because i convinced enough people that i want to use my nerd skills to better the fleet and the nation.
AMPN: a. diagnosed with ptsd for things that aren’t public record
b. diagnosed with anxiety disorder
c. diagnosed with depression
d. diagnosed with gender dysphoria
e. diagnosed with suicidal tendencies
BODY: hi so i would like to formally express that maybe some of our sailors might need to be able to relate to people who have dealt with comparable circumstances.
ACTN: a. hit me up if you or your sailors have dealt with comparable diagnoses
b. especially hit me up if you or your sailors have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria because technically my waiver package is the first and so my career is on the chopping block.
ADTL: a. please don’t make this cathartic statement into some sort of pissing contest about lives saved, ships saved or $s saved. Not worth skirting the limits of unclass info for posturing and unfortunately i have more than enough data to come out on top.
b. not really in the mood to deal with trollistic “fight me” rhetoric or similar “gently caress nobles” statements all things considered.
R/
Me

Never write like this again. Best of luck to you with everything.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

BLUF: let me try this intro posting thing to not evoke unabashed shitlordism
SUBJ: Hi
REF: a. escaped many generations of poverty
b. grew up in a falling apart trailer
c. by statistically unlikely events i am alive today
d. by additional statistically unlikely events i got a scholarship
e. by even more statistically unlikely events my poor rear end got selected for some fancy nerd degrees at a fancy nerd school because i convinced enough people that i want to use my nerd skills to better the fleet and the nation.
AMPN: a. diagnosed with ptsd for things that aren’t public record
b. diagnosed with anxiety disorder
c. diagnosed with depression
d. diagnosed with gender dysphoria
e. diagnosed with suicidal tendencies
BODY: hi so i would like to formally express that maybe some of our sailors might need to be able to relate to people who have dealt with comparable circumstances.
ACTN: a. hit me up if you or your sailors have dealt with comparable diagnoses
b. especially hit me up if you or your sailors have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria because technically my waiver package is the first and so my career is on the chopping block.
ADTL: a. please don’t make this cathartic statement into some sort of pissing contest about lives saved, ships saved or $s saved. Not worth skirting the limits of unclass info for posturing and unfortunately i have more than enough data to come out on top.
b. not really in the mood to deal with trollistic “fight me” rhetoric or similar “gently caress nobles” statements all things considered.
R/
Me

We're here for you and have all been dicked over by the Navy so we understand where you're coming from.

The big thing is - Although we were or are Navy, it doesn't define us. It doesn't define you as a person either. I'm still in but I work to live. I don't live Navy.

I think that's the big clash. You're probably being sarcastic formatting your post like an email to an N2 or something but here we're just people. Talk to us like people. We'll talk to you like people.

Unless it's making fun of the Navy then jargon away! The nobles stuff isn't a dig at your personal situation. It's a dig at Navy culture.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My weed is by prescription. Most states have some sort of medical pot in 2019 and PTSD is almost universally recognized as a qualifying condition.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Laranzu posted:

We're here for you and have all been dicked over by the Navy so we understand where you're coming from.

The big thing is - Although we were or are Navy, it doesn't define us. It doesn't define you as a person either. I'm still in but I work to live. I don't live Navy.

I think that's the big clash. You're probably being sarcastic formatting your post like an email to an N2 or something but here we're just people. Talk to us like people. We'll talk to you like people.

Unless it's making fun of the Navy then jargon away! The nobles stuff isn't a dig at your personal situation. It's a dig at Navy culture.

This but like for real, talk to us like we're people. It took me like 5 times reading your poo poo to get the wholesome message lying underneath.

E: what are your pronouns so I dont gently caress it up

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My reservist cheddar brain almost couldn’t.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Laranzu posted:

You're probably being sarcastic formatting your post like an email to an N2
Yeah, sarcasm is admittedly one of my favorite coping mechanisms.

Also I was having fun mocking some of the emails I got from tryhards on my carrier tour. The joy of being bombarded by hundreds of messages daily from deskpilots who don’t understand that their admin taskers aren’t as important as literally putting out fires. :)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

... helps further ACLU lawsuits for wrongful termination and breach of contract.
If you haven't already, at least touch base with them and GLAD and Lambda Legal. They may know of ways to improve your current position or the stance of a future lawsuit.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, sarcasm is admittedly one of my favorite coping mechanisms.

Also I was having fun mocking some of the emails I got from tryhards on my carrier tour. The joy of being bombarded by hundreds of messages daily from deskpilots who don’t understand that their admin taskers aren’t as important as literally putting out fires. :)

Wow. gently caress em lol.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

http://broadside.navytimes.com/2019/09/03/broadside-week-of-sep-2-2019/

[MST3K] Huge slam on 1830s out of nowhere [/MST3K]

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some some random white dude enlisted walking through the yards with a beard and type 3 boonie hat.

So I ordered a boonie. This thing rocks. Basically no way my unit will approve it but whatevs it was cheap.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

days
left

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

days
left

Mazel tov

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Some some random white dude enlisted walking through the yards with a beard and type 3 boonie hat.

So I ordered a boonie. This thing rocks. Basically no way my unit will approve it but whatevs it was cheap.

I bought one for SERE and wear it when I go camping. They're great.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

A lost EOD/Diver?

There was always one diver who would walk around the shipyard wearing PTUs with boots and a cowboy hat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A lost EOD/Diver?

There was always one diver who would walk around the shipyard wearing PTUs with boots and a cowboy hat.

I have no idea. I wanted to stop and talk to him about it because i was genuinely curious but I had places to be.
There’s also a little person serving on the Nimitz I was a little curious about but it’s just rude to ask about waivers.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/09/03/this-branch-takes-the-cake-as-the-us-militarys-fattest/

Navy weighs in a 22% obesity rate. Lol. Ive been noticing for a bit now that sailors round the PNW have been looking a lil’ husky.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dingleberry posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/09/03/this-branch-takes-the-cake-as-the-us-militarys-fattest/

Navy weighs in a 22% obesity rate. Lol. Ive been noticing for a bit now that sailors round the PNW have been looking a lil’ husky.

Just storing vitamin-D reserves for the long overcast winters!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dingleberry posted:

"The Navy, meanwhile, reported the lowest incidence rate of cumulative injuries. How much of that could be related to inactivity was not determined."

:laffo:

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

ZekeNY posted:

"The Navy, meanwhile, reported the lowest incidence rate of cumulative injuries. How much of that could be related to inactivity was not determined."

:laffo:

Didn’t count carpal tunnel otherwise the nukes’ WoW-sustained cumulative injuries would’ve spiked that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Didn’t count carpal tunnel otherwise the nukes’ WoW-sustained cumulative injuries would’ve spiked that.

it really is flaring up playing classic right now.

this poo poo didnt use to hurt

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Stop paying sailors to get married young and have babies, start paying them to run. Analyze your workload (GAO report in Dec 2018 said this was started 10 years after the initial recommendation to do so). Improve retention (see previous step). Develop a reserve capability that replaces Sailors that attrite, instead of offering commanders the treacherous decision to divest themselves of resources and threaten operability on the principle of standards. I assume the CTF doesn't like, "I can't get underway, but we are getting in three runs a week!"

The injuries statement, while somewhat humorous is a serious deal. Losing one man to a running injury can be 50% of a rate on a ship because you only had 2 of the 4 billets ungapped to begin with.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t see the real harm in overweight sailors. Honestly, I can’t. You guys live on loving boats in the middle of the ocean- being able to run a 6 minute mile doesn’t loving matter in the middle of the ocean when your on a destroyer that’s primary job is firing various guided missiles. Or a submarine. Or an amphib. Or a carrier.

Not being retardedly fat, I can understand, but honestly, I cannot fathom the harm caused by the navy being a little fatter than it’s sister services. It makes sense, it’s not like the navy’s ability to fight has honestly been impacted by being the “fattest” branch.

Just not seeing the problem, I guess. Obviously your SEAL’s and USMC assigned corpsman etc, that’s different. But they’re fighting in entirely different domains and poo poo than the vast majority of sailors.

Ya’ll need a tiered PT system or something, because there is absolutely loving nothing that’s one size fits all, or even most, with the Navy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Portable Submersible pumps weigh 75 pounds and you have to carry them up "stairs" that are practically vertical if not use an outright ladder. And when you're carrying them its because something is flooding and you need to hustle.

Firefighting gear isn't light, fire hoses aren't light. Fat guy in a fire suit even without a real fire get overheated and exhausted pretty quickly.

Also especially on submarines most areas are just wide enough for two skinny guys to pass if they turn sideways.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I was told to stop exercising before watch and while in Port on duty days because of the perception it gave coners of fully qualified nuke watchstanders.

gently caress the Navy and especially senior enlisted.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a high school buddy who just got married to a chick he’s been dating for three years.
Their life plan?
He’s too old to join the service so she joined the coast guard and she’s currently in boot...
Gettin’ that BAH and health insurance heyyyyy

Oh she’s like 22.

I dont know what to say.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I can’t see the real harm in overweight sailors. Honestly, I can’t. You guys live on loving boats in the middle of the ocean- being able to run a 6 minute mile doesn’t loving matter in the middle of the ocean when your on a destroyer that’s primary job is firing various guided missiles. Or a submarine. Or an amphib. Or a carrier.

There are a lot more tasks and duties expected of shipboard sailors that have nothing to do with people's primary jobs. There is always a lot of hard work to do on a ship. Chipping and painting, stores onloads, working parties etc etc.

The current fitness system in the Navy is definitely dumb though so yeah...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Portable Submersible pumps weigh 75 pounds and you have to carry them up "stairs" that are practically vertical if not use an outright ladder. And when you're carrying them its because something is flooding and you need to hustle.

Firefighting gear isn't light, fire hoses aren't light. Fat guy in a fire suit even without a real fire get overheated and exhausted pretty quickly.

Also especially on submarines most areas are just wide enough for two skinny guys to pass if they turn sideways.

That's a legitimate concern I suppose but when I was active and not a fatass I was an incredibly tired malnourished port and starboard cic watchstander.

What I'm saying is the Navy has problems.

Also maybe dont try to keep manning up by completely giving up on pfa standards lol.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

There are a lot more tasks and duties expected of shipboard sailors that have nothing to do with people's primary jobs. There is always a lot of hard work to do on a ship. Chipping and painting, stores onloads, working parties etc etc.

The current fitness system in the Navy is definitely dumb though so yeah...

Lol stores onload is not hard work lol.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Being in shape helps you with those 36 hour workdays too, but hard to stay in shape if you're working them and not already just super inclined to be a workout monster.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I was told to stop exercising before watch and while in Port on duty days because of the perception it gave coners of fully qualified nuke watchstanders.

gently caress the Navy and especially senior enlisted.

PneumonicBook posted:

That's a legitimate concern I suppose but when I was active and not a fatass I was an incredibly tired malnourished port and starboard cic watchstander.

This is absolutely where those numbers come from.
You are actually discouraged from exercising in the fleet.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Maybe a focus on functional fitness? Like the heavy equipment carrying and firefighting, you can train to that without running 3-5 miles a day. A simple stationary bike or elliptical and doing functional strength training should be more than adequate for everything you described.

Sounds like you need strong sailors, more than skinny or fast running ones. Like I said man, a tiered a system makes sense- and being obese isn’t compatible with military service regardless of branch, but overweight? I don’t find that to be a huge issue for the USN.

Keep in mind I’m being specific with overweight here, I.E. higher than a BMI of 25 but less than 30. I’m not talking egregiously fat folks, just your normal not skinny but not obese overweight types.

I understand why fitness is good, I do. I enforced and lived that poo poo for years, but I also know for a fact that being overweight isn’t necessarily inherently bad or a disqualification for being good at your job and being able to execute your duties.

You’ll find that if your service goes full retard in response to these studies, that it will result in hilarious (to me, the uninterested outsider) consequences. Hell, the last time you guys cracked down on PT big time I had to help our command separate 3 IS’s and 1 CT who cost the government insane amounts of money to train, let alone clear. Two landed jobs as contractors doing similar stuff like they did while on AD. Except now they cost way more to pay, don’t deploy or go on ships, and they’re all as fat and happy as can be. That’s loving hilarious, to me at least. No idea what happened to the other 2. But it was all honorable discharges, nobody lost benefits, I’d have had a goddamn litter of kitten if someone had tried to give anything besides honorable, but luckily no one did and I’m pretty sure the regs say that if the only thing wrong is failing PT than it’s an honorable. But you just know if you crack down again there’ll be Khaki’s trying to gently caress people.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 5, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Maybe a focus on functional fitness? Like the heavy equipment carrying and firefighting, you can train to that without running 3-5 miles a day. A simple stationary bike or elliptical and doing functional strength training should be more than adequate for everything you described.

Sounds like you need strong sailors, more than skinny or fast running ones. Like I said man, a tiered a system makes sense- and being obese isn’t compatible with military service regardless of branch, but overweight? I don’t find that to be a huge issue for the USN.

Keep in mind I’m being specific with overweight here, I.E. higher than a BMI of 25 but less than 30. I’m not talking egregiously fat folks, just your normal not skinny but not obese overweight types.

I understand why fitness is good, I do. I enforced and lived that poo poo for years, but I also know for a fact that being overweight isn’t necessarily inherently bad or a disqualification for being good at your job and being able to execute your duties.

You’ll find that if your service goes full retard in response to these studies, that it will result in hilarious (to me, the uninterested outsider) consequences. Hell, the last time you guys cracked down on PT big time I had to help our command separate 3 IS’s and 1 CT who cost the government insane amounts of money to train, let alone clear. Two landed jobs as contractors doing similar stuff like they did while on AD. Except now they cost way more to pay, don’t deploy or go on ships, and they’re all as fat and happy as can be. That’s loving hilarious, to me at least. No idea what happened to the other 2. But it was all honorable discharges, nobody lost benefits, I’d have had a goddamn litter of kitten if someone had tried to give anything besides honorable, but luckily no one did and I’m pretty sure the regs say that if the only thing wrong is failing PT than it’s an honorable. But you just know if you crack down again there’ll be Khaki’s trying to gently caress people.

Change should start with leadership.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How are people getting fat at sea in a military environment where the same org. setting the weight limit determines their diet?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

How are people getting fat at sea in a military environment where the same org. setting the weight limit determines their diet?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

shovelbum posted:

Have...have you never been on a deployed ship?

Or any ship?

Or Navy Galley?

Or...base?

The Navys 'culture of fitness' is a hot garbage mess that does an absolutely horrible job at keeping people fit.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm a merchant seaman, we fry up huge piles of stuff and eat it all day at best, and if it's not provided we go ashore and buy em out of calories, but no one can tell us what to do and many of us are well nigh spherical

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah if you think the navy has an obesity problem, go pull the crew from any cargo ship or tanker.

We had deckhands who couldn’t go into ballast tanks, the man holes were too narrow. I had a chief mate get stuck down there once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I do all my weight gain on vacation, I can't believe how much some guys pack it on at sea, my first lovely box boat I lost several pounds a week