Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

however, let me affirm that i don’t really give a poo poo now that i realise that this is redditor drama

remember how SA used to mock the internet as lol serious business? well now it is and nowadays reddit drama can motivate people to vigilanti raid restaurants in search of child sex trafficing and cannibalism dungeons so unfortunately for humanity it does kinda matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkeymon posted:

reddit drama can motivate people to vigilanti raid restaurants in search of child sex trafficing and cannibalism dungeons so unfortunately for humanity it does kinda matter

hosed up and true

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Munkeymon posted:

remember how SA used to mock the internet as lol serious business? well now it is and nowadays reddit drama can motivate people to vigilanti raid restaurants in search of child sex trafficing and cannibalism dungeons so unfortunately for humanity it does kinda matter

honestly i’m just waiting for reddit to have the inevitable “oh yeah we sold all your data” facebook-like meltdown which will be triple hilarious because the site is semi anon

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Who would pay, like, actual money for reddit user data? What the gently caress would they use it for?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

Who would pay, like, actual money for reddit user data? What the gently caress would they use it for?

augmenting the sex offender registry

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
blackmail

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Who to advertise figurines to

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fiedler posted:

good candidate list for the forced sterilization program

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fiedler posted:

People I thought would barely be on the internet have reddit accounts. Like people who work in the oilfield with my brother and such. And people subscribe to subreddits which is pretty equivalent to liking companies on facebook. I'm sure you can infer a lot about a person based on reddit history.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
When you need to target a specific niche group, what better way than targeting reddit?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/980857659892133889

I, for one, am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and want to believe the best of this wholesome lad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bhodi posted:

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/980857659892133889

I, for one, am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and am willing to believe the best of this wholesome lad

yes, devices and mechanisms planted to spy on people are often colloquially called "bugs".

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

however, let me affirm that i don’t really give a poo poo now that i realise that this is redditor drama

why would vice need to go after her platform tho

like if they would take "no" for an answer, and it seems weird that "hey please don't ask about any of this or print it" before the reporter's trip needed a "clarifying" question and how asking such a question puts them in the clear, but do you not think her actions indicate she didn't want it printed "for support" or w/e

vice's characterization that she didn't say no, and i'd say "please don't print this or it will make me unsafe" over a period of weeks qualifies, and that she made unreasonable demands, "please let me see what you're stirring up so i can prepare for the internet shitstorm," don't really help their case that they were acting in good faith. i mean poo poo, if y'all are really invested in defending the billion-dollar publisher over the independent maker, you could at least bring up her request for folks to take photos of the editor out on the streets of NYC

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey man if nothing else i hope the hot girl wins against the sweaty (but apparently also female) nerds at vice

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fiedler posted:

Reddit is the 6th most trafficked website in the world, ahead of Yahoo, Amazon and Twitter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only good thing about vice is Motherboard, because Claire Evans is cool as heck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
motherboard kind sorta reminds me of wired back in the 90s

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

poemdexter posted:

People I thought would barely be on the internet have reddit accounts. Like people who work in the oilfield with my brother and such. And people subscribe to subreddits which is pretty equivalent to liking companies on facebook. I'm sure you can infer a lot about a person based on reddit history.

yeah but reddit is barely a step below 4chan when it comes to anonymity. gotta wonder how useful that data would actually be

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

and that she made unreasonable demands, "please let me see what you're stirring up so i can prepare for the internet shitstorm," don't really help their case that they were acting in good faith.

asking for a story from a reporter before its published is usually considered an unreasonable demand

non journalists probably don't know that so if thats all they have to defend themselves its quite telling. there wouldn't be a problem if vice kept to their original promise afterall

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

the only good thing about vice is Motherboard, because Claire Evans is cool as heck

their coverage of euromaidan and the ensuing war in ukraine was good too. at least they seem to have grown out of the poverty/drug tourism stuff.

"yeah, we're in a third world shithole where most people live in corrugated metal shacks and die by the time they are 30 while the dictator and his harem ride around in a fleet of luxury cars, but LOOK AT THESE DANK NUGZ!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

after posting that i went 'wait what if claire evans has done something horrible that i didn't hear about to ruin her forever' so i looked and yyyep

https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/10/11652960/yacht-band-sex-tape-hoax-jona-bechtolt-claire-evans

god dammit is there nobody left in the world i can like that doesn't turn out to be a loving monster

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

akadajet posted:

augmenting the sex offender registry

eschaton posted:

blackmail

Wheany posted:

Who to advertise figurines to

President Beep posted:

good candidate list for the forced sterilization program

all good answers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

after posting that i went 'wait what if claire evans has done something horrible that i didn't hear about to ruin her forever' so i looked and yyyep

https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/10/11652960/yacht-band-sex-tape-hoax-jona-bechtolt-claire-evans

god dammit is there nobody left in the world i can like that doesn't turn out to be a loving monster

consuming media products is not a political act

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

asking for a story from a reporter before its published is usually considered an unreasonable demand

non journalists probably don't know that so if thats all they have to defend themselves its quite telling. there wouldn't be a problem if vice kept to their original promise afterall

yeah, reporters usually send their drafts of the story to the person without needing to be asked

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

consuming media products is not a political act

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

let's just cut to the chase here: Lemmy--nazi or not-nazi?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hey man if nothing else i hope the hot girl wins against the sweaty (but apparently also female) nerds at vice

not really an option at this point, cat's out of the bag. she can't "win," it's to what degree she loses

like it kinda sucks that she can't just share her passion without fending this kind of thing off? the founder of maker faire casually took a cheap shot last year. bunnie and others in the community don't have to spend X% of their time on a public platform just defending the right to be there

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

President Beep posted:

absolutely nazi

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

he thought they were cool enough to dress up as on the reg so a distinction without a difference

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

JawnV6 posted:

not really an option at this point, cat's out of the bag. she can't "win," it's to what degree she loses

like it kinda sucks that she can't just share her passion without fending this kind of thing off? the founder of maker faire casually took a cheap shot last year. bunnie and others in the community don't have to spend X% of their time on a public platform just defending the right to be there

i dunno about the maker community whatever stuff but she does seem to want to stay quite anonymous. i mean, she seems to place a huge emphasis on attractiveness and sex appeal, and considering her primary audience is white hormonal teenage boys on reddit i don’t think it’s surprising they want to know all about her personal life. it’s poo poo, unpleasant and garbage but we already knew all that about reddit. vice is merely an extension of that community

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vice was founded by the creepy ex-pat fucks responsible for exile.ru

what no it wasnt

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i dunno about the maker community whatever stuff but she does seem to want to stay quite anonymous. i mean, she seems to place a huge emphasis on attractiveness and sex appeal, and considering her primary audience is white hormonal teenage boys on reddit i don’t think it’s surprising they want to know all about her personal life. it’s poo poo, unpleasant and garbage but we already knew all that about reddit. vice is merely an extension of that community

being a woman, especially a woman participating in a male-dominated field is....difficult

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

poemdexter posted:

a lot of people (normies) just use it to look at gifs and pictures of dogs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i like lorenzo franceschi-bicchierai idk if hes still at motherboard tho? m,aaybe he moved to dailybeast or something.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lemmy is not a nazi.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

she seems to place a huge emphasis on attractiveness and sex appeal, and considering her primary audience is white hormonal teenage boys

sure

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
:shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"a teenage boy would take a prurient interest, therefore vice was right to destroy her platform, income, and force her out of the public spotlight"

i assume you think there's some nuance in there beyond the victim-blaming garbage but im not gonna suss it out for you

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
screw ethics, a journalist's job is to get the sexy hot lady's number for those horny white males on reddit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wait, you mean she has boobs AND she plays video games??? whoa!!! whoa!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

JawnV6 posted:

"a teenage boy would take a prurient interest, therefore vice was right to destroy her platform, income, and force her out of the public spotlight"

i assume you think there's some nuance in there beyond the victim-blaming garbage but im not gonna suss it out for you

i’m made of straw