Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

no more plastic packaging for the device that is permanently bricked by activation locks and 3rd party repairs

we're saving the loving planet, folks

coming after the next store refresh:

Apple Sticker: $29
[Mini] [Pro] [Max]

[Add to Cart] [Maybe Later]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

goddamn it what will I slap on my lovely dell?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in my head, infernal machines works at some sketchy “repair shop” that’s like 90% a fence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
close enough. i handle a lot of "e-waste" from clients who have upgraded their devices and can't be bothered to remove them from their apple accounts.

i don't even want to sell the stuff, i would just give it to people locally who need something, but i can't because the hardware is useless unless the people who "recycled" it can be bothered to go through the process to remove the activation lock, which they don't care to do. so instead it's actually trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not even like they explicitly refuse and insist the device be trashed, they just say "okay" when i explain the process to deactivate find my or remove it from their account and then don't do it because it's too many steps or something. i have to actually go through the process with them when offboarding the device or it doesn't happen.

so i have a bunch of phones and ipads that people who can't afford to buy a new one could use, but can't because we had to go nuclear to kill the stolen device market. except of course we haven't done that and you can use some shady-rear end overseas service to do it, as long as you're willing to pay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so you contrast this with removing the stickers you've included with your gear for 30-odd years or removing the charger, so it has to be purchased separately, in the name of the environment and it's a bit funny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get the program they use and skip the middleman. i believe in you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
infernal, it's time we buy a 5 Tonne press and go into business together! we can install it at the Montessori school

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we can just compress all the old iphones and ipads into a sculpture, like the metaphorical opposite of that ad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
did the hydraulic press get rid of the camera bump

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah i’m pretty sure you can just crush them to get a new ipad. maybe add a stradivarius and a can of paint as a catalyst

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

just get the program they use and skip the middleman. i believe in you

i really should put some work into figuring out how that functions. i looked into it a few years back but it seems to require some level of carrier integration and obviously some connection to apple, but i don't know the specifics.

probably 80% of the sites offering it are scams anyway, so it's definitely a nut to crack

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rjmccall posted:

yeah i’m pretty sure you can just crush them to get a new ipad. maybe add a stradivarius and a can of paint as a catalyst

we just need a philosopher's stone

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

a giant statue of tim cook made from “recycled” apple products, titled iWaste

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple recycles ads too
https://twitter.com/asallen/status/1788428991118164356

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rjmccall posted:

in my head, infernal machines works at some sketchy “repair shop” that’s like 90% a fence

better than working for some sketchy company that purposely bricks hardware so it can’t be resold/recycled

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this person that traded in their car didnt give me the keys. this is worthless. ford bricks their vehicles on purpose so they can't be resold/recycled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, i think you can still re-key cars.

i mean, it's also a terrible metaphor, but i think you can still re-key cars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you generally need to prove ownership first.

which does bring up a valid point - i wouldnt mind seeing a bill of sale type thing that legally defined a phone or similar expensive gadget owner. maybe that would help mitigate, if apple would play ball with it and unlock something you had the paperwork for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apple actually has a 1st party unlock service. they don't provide any details about how they decide whether to unlock a device or not but anecdotal user testing suggests it's based on the device age and whether the icloud account is still actively used. new device are basically a no go, and if the account has been signed into in the last year, also no go. of course the imei has to be clean and the device can't be flagged as stolen orr lost.

the former generally isn't an issue, these things are usually three to five years old by the time i get them, but the icloud accounts remain active because they people still use them, the imeis are always clean because these are being given to me by the original owners. but because they use their apple accounts and they don't want to take the time to navigate the preference pane and remove the device, well, they're junk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
huh, TIL. thats cool that there's at least some sort of option

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not bad at all, it's just the particulars of how it seems to work in practice mean it doesn't really work for my use case.

it also assumes you have the device because of a sale and requires receipts and seller information, and i don't buy these devices, so idk how that's supposed to work.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
we should definitely have a system (if we really don’t already) for charities to say “this was just donated” and get the hardware reset. assuming it’s not in fact currently registered as stolen, that is, which is something that charities presumably already have to deal with

lol @ the idea that we’re bricking them to prevent legitimate resale, though. the random guy on sa mart giving you a great deal on an ipad he mysteriously can’t unlock is in fact 100% selling you stolen goods

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don’t really know if that’s a problem on sa mart

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, i get that there are good reasons for the activation locks. i think in practice, they way they're implemented has resulted in shitloads of perfectly serviceable hardware being crushed and shipped to the third world to be stripped for precious metals.

i don't like that, but moreso i think it's funny every time apple claims to be doing something nakedly self serving "for the environment"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rjmccall posted:

i don’t really know if that’s a problem on sa mart

those cd/steam key resellers are the most sketchy

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

apple actually has a 1st party unlock service. they don't provide any details about how they decide whether to unlock a device or not but anecdotal user testing suggests it's based on the device age and whether the icloud account is still actively used. new device are basically a no go, and if the account has been signed into in the last year, also no go. of course the imei has to be clean and the device can't be flagged as stolen orr lost.

the former generally isn't an issue, these things are usually three to five years old by the time i get them, but the icloud accounts remain active because they people still use them, the imeis are always clean because these are being given to me by the original owners. but because they use their apple accounts and they don't want to take the time to navigate the preference pane and remove the device, well, they're junk.

I mean, if someone has active access to their iCloud account and is just obstinate about the idea of removing a device, that's significantly more on them than on Apple.

i don't like that, but moreso i think it's funny every time apple claims to be doing something nakedly self serving "for the environment"

This all came out of the fact that they aren't putting stickers in the boxes any more, and it's hard to call that nakedly self-serving when they easily gained more in marketing value from those stickers than they cost. Apple under timb clearly has more concern about the environment than they have had at any point in their past.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you love tim so much why don't you marry him?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Apple under timb clearly has more concern about the environment than they have had at any point in their past.

lmao if you believe this

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

lmao if you believe this

Please, point me to the year when Apple was more environmentally conscious.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they sold the least crap 1996

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

LanceHunter posted:

it's a steady zero on the timeline op

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

doing things for the bottom line or to adhere to regulations doesn’t count for giving a poo poo about the environment even if the effects of those things benefit the environment as a side effect, hth op

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

LanceHunter posted:

the apple 1 had a compostable wooden case, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

their products have never been less repairable or user serviceable

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

but hey they do the whole greenwashing thing so I guess that worked on you

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

love when a $1 component failure turns my mac into a $4000 brick

but at least they'll recycle it for free

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

love when a $1 component failure turns my mac into a $4000 brick