Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, problem is anything arcane heavy doesn't really come online until late game which rules it out for anything I'd recommend. Pure faith is a barrel of fun from the get go, and as you said this could still work because dragon incants benefit from arcane thanks to their seal and are extremely powerful and fun. It's something a pure faith run could transition to for the endgame without even a respec, in the same way that pyro builds have the same problem with all of the best spells being in Mountaintops. I used a ton of dragon stuff and had a decent bit of arcane on my pure incant run for this purpose, it's just too good having a nuke of every element type in the game at ready.

I'm doing a lvl 12 Sunbro build right now and I'm doing hella dex/arcane stuff. A scarseal and prosthesis-wearer's heirloom will let you use Reduvia and Bloodhound's Fang early. Slap Bloody Slash on an uchi (or any other katana, really) for sick bleed procs. Pulley crossbow will proc bleed, rot, and poison in like one volley depending on resistance, too.

It definitely requires more creativity and running around than a faith/int/str build, but early-game dex/arcane builds are plenty viable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

redreader posted:

What builds are there that are fun, that are not str, str/fai, or int builds? Is there a good dex + arcane build or something like that?

Dex + Arcane was *insane* at launch. Now it's just merely very good.

For bonus silly points, wield a poison infused Antspur in your right hand and a magically frost-imbued katana (or other naturally bleeding weapon that can be magicked) in your left. Or you can just do bleed estoc for dual-wielding, marginally less silly shenanigans.

You can also keep a flail in your backpack for trolls and crystallians and similar poo poo - one you can get from the very first soldier camp, the other (maybe better ?) one from the very first night knight.

(Antspur is really easy to get super early, too - find about 10-15 crystal darts (the recipe of which you can buy along the way) and you can easily berserk the NPC's golem bodyguard. Then just move back and watch.)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 23, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Pulley crossbow will proc bleed, rot, and poison in like one volley depending on resistance, too.

Bwuh ? Either/or depending on bolts I can see, but all three at once ? How do you do that ?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

redreader posted:

What builds are there that are fun, that are not str, str/fai, or int builds? Is there a good dex + arcane build or something like that?

Dex+Arcane is a lot of fun imo. With Frozen Needle+Antspur Rapier, you can apply 4 statuses at once with the right infusion/ash of war (Frost+Rot, then Poison Ash and Bleed Infusion). The only downside is that the Raper dual-wield moveset kinda sucks and heavily favors one weapon over the other, so it's better to just keep them both in the right hand slot and swap to the other once you've applied your status effects.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Bwuh ? Either/or depending on bolts I can see, but all three at once ? How do you do that ?

Sorry, bleed, poison, or rot.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Horace Kinch posted:

The only downside is that the Raper dual-wield moveset ...

The what?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgcXHC7A_I

I do NOT remember them being this aggro

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Those DS3 black knights in dark firelink after champion gundyr are beasts. I routinely kill Champ Gundyr first try parrygodding him to death. Then in the next area I immediately eat poo poo because if I whiff one parry I’m getting punished by a whole combo.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

redreader posted:

Have you messed around with the fist weapons yet? Venomous Fang with bleed infusion is real fun and does a good amount of poise damage so you can get the stagger crits that dex builds sometimes struggle to get.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgcXHC7A_I

I do NOT remember them being this aggro

lol that is the best outcome of that matchup

and yeah the ds3 knights are relentless

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The two/three finger hands difference makes a lot of sense, because the two fingers should look cool and towering in the roundtable hold, and the three fingers should have a player grab animation that actually works in practice and thus needs to be a lot smaller.

I think as someone said, it's missing the 5-10 things that do connect them perfectly for the one thing that is easily explainable by One Piece villains.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

When you wield two weapons of the same class in each hand, L2 automagically changes from "left hand heavy attack" to "dual-wield combos, DS2 style".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kobal2 posted:

When you wield two weapons of the same class in each hand, L2 automagically changes from "left hand heavy attack" to "dual-wield combos, DS2 style".

You missed the typo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

No Dignity posted:

lol that is the best outcome of that matchup

and yeah the ds3 knights are relentless

They're super easy to backstab. You can roll forward and you'll end behind in most of their long range/charge attacks.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Getting frustrated like I never have with a souls game playing this lately. Been depressed and elden ring probably isn't the best depression Gameboy drat nothing fulfills my need for video game dress-up like a souls game.

Midway thru leyndell capital I had to change gears and go beat radahn / start the deeproot depths stuff because I felt like I was smashing my head against a difficulty wall, but I'm level 75 so it should be fine. Can't tell if I'm just playing too aggressive/bad or if caster is just hard (playing a faith str build, never done anything but str)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Leyndell is harder for sorcerers since a lot of stuff blocks or resists magic, but otoh there isn’t much in there that a sorcerer will actually want. I’d start on Gelmir and Sellen/Ranni quests first if you haven’t already.

If you want to fight Leyndell knights as a sorcerer, ambush shard or rock sling will do better than regular glintstone spells.

e: nvm, I misread.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 23, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Towershield in one hand great axe in the other

Wow this is stupid amounts of fun

So many guard counters

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eerkik posted:

Midway thru leyndell capital I had to change gears and go beat radahn / start the deeproot depths stuff because I felt like I was smashing my head against a difficulty wall, but I'm level 75 so it should be fine. Can't tell if I'm just playing too aggressive/bad or if caster is just hard (playing a faith str build, never done anything but str)

What part of the level are you having trouble with? Also it might help to talk about what your stats are, what weapons you're using and how upgraded they are, and what spells you have memorized.

Fth/Str has a lot of extremely powerful options, one of which can be farmed right at the beginning of Leyndell.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have tried really hard but I think I just hate using spells in Souls games, I like getting in the enemies faces so I thought that Carian Slicer and friends would solve that problem but somehow it still feels lovely and bad. It's probably because you don't get a real full moveset and have to awkwardly switch between spells, but I also just like parries and stance breaks and AoWs and casting doesn't support any of those as well as melee does.

Weirdly, Catch Flame feels better to me than any sorceries, possibly just because of Dark Souls muscle memory

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I really want to get i to magic but I feel you. Nothing like raw physical fighting.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

What part of the level are you having trouble with? Also it might help to talk about what your stats are, what weapons you're using and how upgraded they are, and what spells you have memorized.

Fth/Str has a lot of extremely powerful options, one of which can be farmed right at the beginning of Leyndell.
Not sure if there's another entrance but right after the ramparts after the draconic tree sentinel I'm basically getting my rear end handed to me by all the soldiers, which i don't remember ever being an issue. Think I got 26 str, 34 faith, 15 dex and have been working towards filling out mind and endurance now with a bit of vigor. Using a sacred claymore, with sacred blade. None of the incantations really click with me thus far, so I've been pulling with lightning spear or flame sling but nothing seems to compare to sacred blade to melee, but I'm open to suggestions because I made the character with the intention of going half n half leaning more towards incantations(I'm absolutely gonna pick up the blasphemousblade soon, just have never done the manor quests so wanted to go that route thru it rather than running the dungeon). I've pretty much always used big swords so if there's anything cool to try thats not Big sword (even small sword is cool) I'm open to whatever, just to change things up a bit. My claymore is +14

Honestly I've been playing q lot of bloodborne and lords of the fallen too, so I might just be coming at it too reckless. I've managed to beat the crucible knight guarding that shortcut and the tree avatar but the packs of knights, the great bow ones in particular, seem to ve problematic for me

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 23, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Those knights kick every build's rear end, they're a big test to tell you how hard a time you're going to have going forward.

I highly recommend Aspect of the Crucible: Horns for them. You can charge it out outside of their attack range and it'll rag doll them for a charged R2 and whatever followup should finish them off. Flame Art will serve you better than Sacred there (and in most places), and if you want to keep it physical then the Giant Hunt ash of war will also ragdoll and can go on the Claymore

Discus of Light is wonderful if you have a bit of INT for it - 3fp and good damage if you position it right, which is easy enough that it becomes second nature. Lightning Spear's biggest utility is that if it's uncharged, enemy AI will ignore it. Frenzied Burst is a bit expensive but it's the magical equivalent of a .50 cal sniper

You can be pretty aggressive in this game but you've gotta have a build that can do it all that you're very comfortable with. Until you get to that point, take it slow

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eerkik posted:

Not sure if there's another entrance but right after the ramparts after the draconic tree sentinel I'm basically getting my rear end handed to me by all the soldiers, which i don't remember ever being an issue. Think I got 26 str, 34 faith, 15 dex and have been working towards filling out mind and endurance now with a bit of vigor. Using a sacred claymore, with sacred blade. None of the incantations really click with me thus far, so I've been pulling with lightning spear or flame sling but nothing seems to compare to sacred blade to melee, but I'm open to suggestions because I made the character with the intention of going half n half leaning more towards incantations(I'm absolutely gonna pick up the blasphemousblade soon, just have never done the manor quests so wanted to go that route thru it rather than running the dungeon). I've pretty much always used big swords so if there's anything cool to try thats not Big sword (even small sword is cool) I'm open to whatever, just to change things up a bit. My claymore is +14

If the part you are struggling with has a lot of narrow streets between buildings who have golden roofs, patrolled by tons of knights and footmen with the occasional perfumer and high page: that area sucks, and IMO there's nothing there worth the trouble. Explore along the wide street to find access to less-heavily-trafficked parts of town.

Would also be helpful to know your vigor; I think you probably want at least 25 by this point, and returns per point will increase up until 40.

You are getting to the part of the game where holy damage starts having issues due to enemy resistances. Fire is better against most things, with the caveat that there are a handful of things that are immune to it and it is affected by rain and standing in water. If you have Flaming Strike, and even better if you picked up the red whetblade (both from Redmane Castle, although you can't get the whetblade if the Festival is on until Radahn is dead and you've spoken to Jerren to return things to nromal), you can get a similar buff effect to Sacred Blade although the projectile is replaced by a short-range AoE, and the Flame Art infusion from the whetblade will add faith scaling and has better base damage than regular fire infusions. There are several mines in Altus Plateau that will get you up to +15 at least, they're marked on maps as these black holes on the edge of cliffs.

What seal are you using, and how upgraded is it?

Lightning spear is a perfectly decent spell, although the big knights in the area are lightning-aligned so it's not going to do well against them. Flame sling is just plain bad. The black flame spells from the prayerbook you can get just off of the big courtyard in Stormveil are a lot more useful, as are the Frenzied Flame spells Flame of Frenzy and Frenzied Burst. The Godskin Apostle in the windmill village drops another black flame spell. There are also several useful buffs like Flame, Grant Me Strength and Golden Vow. You have enough Faith for Frozen Lightning Spear, which drops from a boss in Ainsel River, which you can access through a building in eastern Liurnia, similar to how you got to Siofra River in Limgrave. Many spells can be improved by charging them, and there's a talisman from an evergaol in south Altus that will further improve the damage of fully charged spells and attacks. Note that charging Lightning Spear is a bad idea against enemies who like to dodge; they won't dodge the uncharged version, but will dodge the charged. Don't overlook the basic elemental damage resist spells, either.

The larger trumpeter on the ramparts drops a str/fth weapon that has one of the most insane AoWs in the game, which will utterly destroy large enemies, even ones that resist holy. It upgrades with somber smithing stones. It's also a strike weapon, which has its uses.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Until you reach about level 120 on, being in Leyndel can go from bad to worse quickly.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Is Hyetta’s quest bugged? She asked for a finger grape, so I went to kill Vyke and got one, but when I got back to the church she’s not there. I’m so annoyed because it took me forever to fulfill her grapely desires.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you gave her your first she moved along her quest pathline, I recommend looking it up unless you've been meaning to 100% clear Lakeland.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah she goes all over the place. You will find her at the Purified Ruins and then again at Gate Town Bridge. Then at the Bellum Church. Then she goes underground and will be at the Frenzied Flame Proscription.

If you talk to her she tells you to get naked and go to the Three Fingers down the hall.

Milena will yell at you not to do so when you rest there.

Ps: getting down that shaft to The Proscription can eat dick. Don’t have runes on you that you care about keeping.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe I’m broke brained but I enjoy when Fromsoft is being dicks

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I treasure each and every FromSoftware platforming section

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe I’m broke brained but I enjoy when Fromsoft is being dicks

When I first entered the Big Poison Swamp (tm) in DS3, and heard the characteristic rattle of basilisks to go on top of that, I actually laughed out loud.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eerkik posted:

Not sure if there's another entrance but right after the ramparts after the draconic tree sentinel I'm basically getting my rear end handed to me by all the soldiers, which i don't remember ever being an issue. Think I got 26 str, 34 faith, 15 dex and have been working towards filling out mind and endurance now with a bit of vigor. Using a words words words
Mate I have found your problem: You are dying because you health bar is being emptied, well pal you need more health bar! Your build is a glass cannon. In fact I ran into the same brick wall (but a different location) and what solved it was just Health Health Health. Pump all your points into Vigor until you have at least 50!

Later on in the game there are going to be megatanky bosses that are total slogfiestas equipped with multiple attacks that will one-shot you with a build like this. Unless you are a Pro-Core FromSoft Streamer with mad iframes knowledge, you will need to be able to take a few hits without bursting into flames or your endgame is going to suuuuuuck shiiiiit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Vigor to 60 or bust. Also reach every soft cap.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah she goes all over the place. You will find her at the Purified Ruins and then again at Gate Town Bridge. Then at the Bellum Church. Then she goes underground and will be at the Frenzied Flame Proscription.

If you talk to her she tells you to get naked and go to the Three Fingers down the hall.

Milena will yell at you not to do so when you rest there.

Ps: getting down that shaft to The Proscription can eat dick. Don’t have runes on you that you care about keeping.

Additional tip: Once she's at her bridge spot it can take some grace resting/extra dialogue exhausting to get her to move on after giving her a third grape.

Also I believe you need to tell her the truth about them when she asks.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Pumping vigor made the game soooo much easier.
I think I was at 50 vigor when I hit Leyndell and it was really not too bad. I was also a str/fai with focus on strength.
Just put giant hunt on whatever sword you are using and go to town.
Giant hunt->charged R2 or Giant hunt-> Giant hunt->R2 will poise break pretty much anything. Even crucible knights were easy with this set up.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Eerkik posted:

Honestly I've been playing q lot of bloodborne and lords of the fallen too, so I might just be coming at it too reckless. I've managed to beat the crucible knight guarding that shortcut and the tree avatar but the packs of knights, the great bow ones in particular, seem to ve problematic for me

As others mentioned, those knights are just huge assholes. Other people have mentioned trying different weapon skills than sacred blade. What worked for me on my first play through was a flamberge with bloodflame blade and the double cut art of war. A full double cut combo would stagger and kill them before they could do anything. I still had to be cautious to separate them and fight them one at a time, though.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Knights get mulched if you can hit them with fast reliable DamageLevel 3 stuns from say a zweihander crouch pokes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The carbot team did the sewars a few weeks ago. Some spoilers I guess so I'll url it.

https://youtu.be/JgAUtcVaw7U?si=hvi7LmlKzMyq6cxG

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Pumping vigor made the game soooo much easier.
I think I was at 50 vigor when I hit Leyndell and it was really not too bad. I was also a str/fai with focus on strength.
Just put giant hunt on whatever sword you are using and go to town.
Giant hunt->charged R2 or Giant hunt-> Giant hunt->R2 will poise break pretty much anything. Even crucible knights were easy with this set up.

It's really amazing just how much more you FEEL like you're dominating once you learn a weapon well enough to start using a lot of charged R2s, anything that can be staggered just instantly becomes 10x more manageable, and everything can be staggered

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wish there was a bit more consistency between weapons when it comes to the relative speed of R1 vs R2 attacks, like if you 2hand a greatsword or curved GS the uncharged heavy attacks are barely any slower but for some weapons the heavy attacks are almost unusable because they're so slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Additional tip: Once she's at her bridge spot it can take some grace resting/extra dialogue exhausting to get her to move on after giving her a third grape.

Also I believe you need to tell her the truth about them when she asks.

Yeah she be eating eyeballs and poo poo, son.