Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

apple loves reusing devices

as long as its them doing it, not some random pleb with an ifixit kit. all that lost cashflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

am I crazy or didn’t Apple just launch a huge self repair guide/system and a way to order parts?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Last Chance posted:

am I crazy or didn’t Apple just launch a huge self repair guide/system and a way to order parts?

Yes, but you're talking to the same people who were upset that Apple was ruining all of tech when they stopped including 3.5" floppy drives on the iMac, so we can't really expect them to actually have reality-based opinions on the situation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, this is a good step forward. it's more of a pain in the rear end than it could be, but it's better than what they had.

the previous decade or so of apple devices are clearly irrelevant.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm glad to see we haven't accidentally run off all the true blood apple fanboys itt with our occasion criticism of apple and their products though.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

every time someone makes fun of apple i touch my framed copy of the original yospos rules and whisper "i still believe in you"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

somewhere kgob, wayne static, and that weirdo who likes peter thiel are shaking their fists in unison

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haters won't rest until apple devices are openable with a 10mm socket and have garden variety ups batteries and sodimm sockets inside

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

god willing jonny, god willing

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

pighammer
   /
:pram:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

haters won't rest until apple devices are openable with a 10mm socket and have garden variety ups batteries and sodimm sockets inside

thought that said sodium at first, lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

the 10mm socket will be immediately lost, as is custom

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Chris Knight posted:

the 10mm socket will be immediately lost purloined, as is custom

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

the 10mm socket will be immediately lost, as is custom

harbor freight's got this on lock

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Hochul’s dumb statement made me remember that loving “what’s a computer???” apple ad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://youtu.be/zfR_Jj4grZE?si=3PrIWWOcXGoPgSN3

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all tech should be repairable but every ewaste center is full to the ceiling with stacks of 5-15 year old windows towers that were probably never opened once

also I have a six year old phone and it's still perfectly usable, I don't think there's a single vendor besides apple where that's the case

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I dunno. It was different when the next generation of wheat thresher had iron bolts instead of wooden pegs, so you had to repair that linkage with a store-bought bolt instead of carving a peg out of a nearby fencepost. but the tech we have come to grow to rely on has been shrunk to such a small scale per unit of work that I think we're hamstringing ourselves by saying we have to be able to upgrade the RAM on an apple silicon device. and dont even try to lie to me, yall don't want to 'replace the bad ram'. you want to buy the base model and put newegg ram in it

If you want a 'field repairable' computer you can still get it. you can run a thinkpad from 2015. nobody's stopping you. you can use a phone from 2012 with the right carrier network. you can type your book reports on a computer that has discrete DIP14 ram chips. Nobody's legally banning you from doing that.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 10, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

replacing ram is pretty pure strawman though, replacing batteries is important though, and replacing screens pretty far up there.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

without the hyperbole it’d be good if Apple would make their products repairable, yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

without the hyperbole it’d be good if Apple would make their products repairable, yes

they do not make them unrepairable on purpose. they are difficult for your baby gorilla hands to repair. these are different concepts.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

also I have a six year old phone and it's still perfectly usable, I don't think there's a single vendor besides apple where that's the case

yeah. my daughter uses my 10 year old iphone 6 for text messages and photos. i don't think it gets any OS updates anymore but it's otherwise pretty good still.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

“what’s a computer?” “you know exactly what I’m talking about you brat”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loving seiko making this 5 unrepairable! i bought a screwdriver set off amazon and everything!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

anyway i just think they should stop coming out with brand new products every year. let's just run with the iphone 15 for a couple years, it's already fast enough.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

they do not make them unrepairable on purpose. they are difficult for your baby gorilla hands to repair. these are different concepts.

they literally have the software lock you out of swapping parts from a donor unit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

they literally have the software lock you out of swapping parts from a donor unit.

quote:

There are some companies that specialize in buying up used Macs that had accidents.
Then they take the screen from one that drank a glass of water and mate it up with one that works, but broke its screen.
Generally speaking, these options are not readily available until much later in the product cycle, when used parts and accident-prone computers become more plentiful, and fixing up a slightly older Macs through Apple makes less sense.
I would start with reputable vendors like PowerBook Medic.

this is good to know. I'm going to report this guy for lying on Quora

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

this is good to know. I'm going to report this guy for lying on Quora

https://www.ifixit.com/News/69320/how-parts-pairing-kills-independent-repair

can’t even change the battery with an official one from a donor without the software freaking out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my 1997 5 series exchanged VIN numbers between the headlight switch and main ECU at startup for safety reasons, but i dont see you yelling at bayerische motoren werke

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

my 1997 5 series exchanged VIN numbers between the headlight switch and main ECU at startup for safety reasons, but i dont see you yelling at bayerische motoren werke

yeah because I have no clue about any of that and don’t care.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wouldn’t accept a bmw for free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thank god i switched back to japanese cars t b q h, we can agree on that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like my Nissan

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

parts pairing doesn't work anyway, that place in Shenzhen where all the stolen iphones end up is clearly able to bypass it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

r u ready to WALK posted:

parts pairing doesn't work anyway, that place in Shenzhen where all the stolen iphones end up is clearly able to bypass it

Yeah before i randomly guessed the password to the mbp the startup let me keep, i was looking at those, they seem to have a pretty solid pipeline for unlocks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its one of the really bad touchbar intel mbp's too. just the worst computer. but it was free so w/e

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

there is a device that will clone the serial from one part and overwrite the serial on a replacement part with it. hugh jeffreys, a guy who does device repairs on youtube, has frequently shown himself using one to replace batteries and displays on iphones

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like my Nissan

I like my Nissen :corsair:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Datsun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian