Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

my current iPad is an iPad mini 6th gen. last iPad I had before this one was an iPad Air 2 I think? I have one of the pro max iPhones, which has a screen nearly the size of my iPad mini

afaik the iPad mini doesn’t have stage manager support since it’s using an a15 processor and iirc stage manager requires an m1?

right

stage manager is very different, but imo it's not good. there's split-screen pseudo-tiling that you can use instead, which works a lot better i think

but if you're familiar with using modern ios on a pro max iphone, or even just the current ipad mini, then you're pretty familiar with how modern ipados is, it'll just be a lot faster. the m-series chips make a huge difference. but there are also some multitasking gestures and poo poo that'll be new to you

e: stage manager sucks for other reasons too, but one is apparently because my ipad air has 8 gb of ram. but so does the 6th gen and afaict the 7th gen 11" ipad pro. apple doesn't say anything about ram on the tech specs page and wikipedia says "8 GB, 16 GB". so unless they give you more ram if you pay for more storage, which is just lovely, then i assume the 13" has 16 gb

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the M4 with 256GB and 512GB of storage is a 9-core CPU (3-perf, 6-efficiency) with 8GB of RAM while the 1TB and 2TB models are a 10-core CPU (4-perf, 6-efficiency) with 16GB of RAM. it’s outlined on the iPad comparison page https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

the other part of why I think I tend to gravitate to my phone the more I think about it is the mini’s screen quality just can’t touch the iPhone’s. lcd instead of oled, 60Hz instead of 120Hz, no HDR, only 500-nits of brightness. iPhone just trounces it, while the new iPad Pro display is probably better than what’s on my phone

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

the M4 with 256GB and 512GB of storage is a 9-core CPU (3-perf, 6-efficiency) with 8GB of RAM while the 1TB and 2TB models are a 10-core CPU (4-perf, 6-efficiency) with 16GB of RAM. it’s outlined on the iPad comparison page https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

lol christ poo poo like this pisses me off. not everyone needs a ton of storage but ios apps are memory hogs and multitasking just makes it worse, so everyone could use more ram. it'd probably only cost apple a few dollars more but then at least everyone gets the same, smooth experience and everyone would like it more. i don't think stebe would've been down with this for that reason

Branch Nvidian posted:

the other part of why I think I tend to gravitate to my phone the more I think about it is the mini’s screen quality just can’t touch the iPhone’s. lcd instead of oled, 60Hz instead of 120Hz, no HDR, only 500-nits of brightness. iPhone just trounces it, while the new iPad Pro display is probably better than what’s on my phone

then yes, i am sure you will love it. everything i've read about the pros say the screen is incredible, and tbh even lovely oleds trounce the ipad mini's screen. my dad has one, it's a pretty crappy lcd

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if you do not have literal mountains of extraneous computing devices that you do not actually use, you cannot post in yospos

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
dang :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if you do not have literal mountains of extraneous computing devices that you do not actually use, you cannot post in yospos

i dont live in trash sorry :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this but in reverse and the ipad has moose milkie on it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

goddanit piece of poo poo bp keyboard

i guess y key is dead now

i assue theres like a tiny piece of lint in there. can you use like copressed air to blow it out, anyone know?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol that explains it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

goddanit piece of poo poo bp keyboard

i guess y key is dead now

i assue theres like a tiny piece of lint in there. can you use like copressed air to blow it out, anyone know?

looks like your m key is dead too, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Carthag here are some useful Ms you can copy/paste

M M M M

m m m

M M M

m m m

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

lol that explains it

:negative:

but can i use like a air thing? its outta warranty by now & i already had the kb replaced once

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Carthag here are some useful Ms you can copy/paste

M M M M

m m m

M M M

m m m

ty <3

Branch Nvidian posted:

looks like your m key is dead too, op

pls dont rub it in :(

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

:negative:

but can i use like a air thing? its outta warranty by now & i already had the kb replaced once

depends on which model of mbp it is. if it's got that dumbshit butterfly key then you're probably hosed. you can certainly try compressed air though, i don't see that hurting anything more than it already is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah air is totally fine to try

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

depends on which model of mbp it is. if it's got that dumbshit butterfly key then you're probably hosed. you can certainly try compressed air though, i don't see that hurting anything more than it already is

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

but thx ill give it a shot, cant hurt anything as you say

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

but thx ill give it a shot, cant hurt anything as you say

yeah that has the butterfly switch. good luck with the compressed air. the "good thing" is that Apple has a keyboard service program so even though the thing is out of standard warranty it might be covered if it's a failure of the butterfly switch mechanism
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
once there was this poster
whose shitposts were lovely and couldn't post to yospos
when his probe finally ended
his posts had turned from cool into M-less
he said that it was from when
the keys had smashed so hard

NoneMoreNegative posted:

M M M M

m m m

M M M

m m m

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

yeah that has the butterfly switch. good luck with the compressed air. the "good thing" is that Apple has a keyboard service program so even though the thing is out of standard warranty it might be covered if it's a failure of the butterfly switch mechanism
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

yea i got it replaced in 2021 (iirc) under either that prograM or just general eu warranty law, not sure

gonna try calling the authorized stores next after i guess. dont feel like setting up an appointMent if the air thing works

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cold on a Cob posted:

whose shitposts were lovely and couldn't post to yospos
when his probe finally ended
his posts had turned from cool into M-less

lol that eter is so off tho but thx

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg i guess it dislodged!

mmmmmm nice

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
“whose shitposts were so lovely that he couldn’t post to yospos”, hth ty

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol that eter is so off tho but thx

i was thinking for far too long wtf an eter was because i have the short term memory of a goldfish these days

rjmccall posted:

“whose shitposts were so lovely that he couldn’t post to yospos”, hth ty

y'all inspired me, this is 99% to the original meter :shobon: gently caress that second line pretend he holds school for two syllables in the original lol

got into a flamewar and couldn't post to yospos
but when he finally came back
his posts had turned from poo poo into M-less

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

once there was this goon, who
got a lovely laptop and he couldnt type an M, but
when it finally did work, his posts
were honestly still lovely
he said that it was from the
goddamn fuckin keyboard

NoneMoreNegative posted:

M M M M

m m m

M M M

m m m

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
:golfclap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i shoulda wrote "bullshit" for the first "lovely"

but dan thats a hard song to write lyrics for

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol nicely done

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

why are ios shortcuts the only way to filter photos i didn't take with the phone camera into a separate "not camera roll" album

why is there no camera roll album

why does the ios shortcuts app feel so buggy and half-baked. it doesn't seem to even save my edits half the time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

corona familiar posted:

why are ios shortcuts the only way to filter photos i didn't take with the phone camera into a separate "not camera roll" album

why is there no camera roll album

why does the ios shortcuts app feel so buggy and half-baked. it doesn't seem to even save my edits half the time

you can sort by camera model, but afaict you need to do a search for (at the very least) specific manufacturers first. i don't think there's any way to invert the query filter

but then again, it is apple photos. they want you to see the photos you took with your apple equipment first and foremost, having functionality to import photos taken with other equipment is just a bonus feature

e: speaking of missing letters having a chihuahua sit on your chest will do that too it seems

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 26, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

yeah I don't really mind not being able to filter by camera model but i do want the ability to clean up all the shitposts, saved pictures from failed copy-pastes, and screenshots I've accumulated over time (on top of the actual on-device screenshots)

and an authoritative "yes i took it with this phone and not another iPhone of the same model number that someone might have sent to me" would be nice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

corona familiar posted:

yeah I don't really mind not being able to filter by camera model but i do want the ability to clean up all the shitposts, saved pictures from failed copy-pastes, and screenshots I've accumulated over time (on top of the actual on-device screenshots)

and an authoritative "yes i took it with this phone and not another iPhone of the same model number that someone might have sent to me" would be nice

well, the search is actually more powerful than it seems. you can search for "screenshot" and it'll show you results it thinks are screenshots (sometimes even pictures of screens), etc.

i'd love to clean mine up too but since automating it doesn't really seem possible and i have 2 TB, meh lol

i think you can also find pictures you took vs. ones from other sources because i've seen "from (contact)" on pics i've saved from messages, but idk how

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

i ended up hacking together this terrible shortcut that processes images 100 at a time and tries to determine whether it was taken with the camera by checking if the "camera make" EXIF field was filled in. it catches photos i import off my actual camera but that's fine

i tried to find photos with no limit on the result set but there seems to be some superlinear step that gets dramatically slower the larger the query result set gets so i just loop over it a bunch of times :downs:

it's a little noisy if you have stretches of time where you only have camera photos but i thought it was better than wondering if the process was frozen. you can delete that notification action if you care

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f04a9234c7864eb3942ce85268b03d33

it should handle running over and over again and shouldn't duplicate photos in your library but no promises

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 26, 2024

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

corona familiar posted:

it was an acquisition which they struggled greatly to integrate and so they spent a few years on that instead of on things like making the app work better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: apple products

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

welp apple had a decent run, albeit more of a hobble these days

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I hope I’ll be able to turn all that poo poo off :(

I hope it’s a deal like the one with google where google pays apple but it probably isn’t because everything is so loving stupid now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

according to The Information, which cites a source who has spoken to OpenAI CEO Sam Altman about the deal.
okay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do you really think sam altman would do that? just go to a reporter and tell a lie?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

whatever deal there is, we won’t reasonably know how bad it is until wwdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wwdc will be all paid clapping plants this time around rofl
nobody wants this poo poo.