Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If UC2 didn't have the weird melee combat system I could tell you that Saber ripped it off for Quake Champions and you'd 100% believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
UT2004 servers are finally up on the QFZ network. DM, CTF, Onslaught, Bombing Run, and Invasion. UT99 next in the pipe, then Enemy Territory.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wamdoodle posted:

5 GB's gently caress do they think i'm made of money :eyepop: How far we've come now, lol

I know this is a mostly PC focused thread but did anyone try and play the, I guess, spinoffs Unreal Championship 1 and 2 on the OG Xbox? I remember the second one having more melee options and that characters had archtypes like light, medium and heavy fighters.

Unreal Championship 1 was basically UT2K3. I don't know which started development first, but they were pretty much the same thing. I played UC2 without having access to Xbox Live, so I never played it with actual people. I can tell it was a game more suited to a console though. Poking, closing in, dueling worked way better than just poking.

I don't know if Digital Extremes were as involved with the second Championship game as they were with the first one, but it feels like it somehow was an inspiration for Warframe.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't know if Digital Extremes were as involved with the second Championship game as they were with the first one, but it feels like it somehow was an inspiration for Warframe.

Now that you mention it, when I played Warframe, it felt familiar somehow and you've dialed it in for me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It also felt a lot like Dark Sector

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

DE isn't listed in the credits of UC2 at all, and they don't mention it on their own website.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Anyone got any experience with getting the Doom RPG mod working with the RL stuff? Even using the DoomRPG specific launcher someone made, I just get a litany of errors and so far only one actual half-success. What should I be doing to get the drat thing working?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

First question I should ask is if you’re using Doom RPG, or the more recent, actually regularly updated Doom RPG SE; I don’t really know how well the original version runs with the latest version of DRLA. Second question: what version of GZDoom are you trying to run these with? If you’re using SE, it has to be 3.7.0 or above.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

First question I should ask is if you’re using Doom RPG, or the more recent, actually regularly updated Doom RPG SE; I don’t really know how well the original version runs with the latest version of DRLA. Second question: what version of GZDoom are you trying to run these with? If you’re using SE, it has to be 3.7.0 or above.

Yes am using SE, and using version 4.3.3 of GZDoom. I can handle loading any other mods just fine (indeed been playing many lately) but Doom RPG is just beyond me it seems. And there doesn't seem to be a single set of clear instructions anywhere on the internet on what I'm supposed to be loading, which folders am I supposed to be pointing the launcher to, whether or not I need the PK3s and where to put them, etc.

Edit: Kind of got it working? I don't see enemy health bars and the Colourful Hell mod doesn't seem to work and I'm getting "AAAA" on my screen. Have I got it working alright?

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 13, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Heads up, there's probably a Crysis remaster being announced soon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
funny, i just reinstalled that this weekend and found it still very pretty but also perplexingly taxing on my 2019 pc

playing predator still fuckin owns tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

site posted:

funny, i just reinstalled that this weekend and found it still very pretty but also perplexingly taxing on my 2019 pc
I think I remember hearing it was a multicore CPU thing?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah, according to afterburner it does not scale up on the multi-threading much if you have many cores available

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Heads up, there's probably a Crysis remaster being announced soon.
https://twitter.com/Crysis/status/1249714251360501761

CryTek haven't been shy of teasing it, apparently. What better way to ring in the new console era than to dust off 2007's original GPU-fucker?

Some recent, better-late-than-never news drops:
  • Maximum Action has updated with a new level by the developer of Dusk, a new HUD and various important usability improvements.
  • Embers of Armageddon is yet another entry in the "Doom 2016, But In Doom" field, this time trying to be as faithful to the newer game as possible with minimal adaption or adjustment.
  • SM207: Ceremonial Speedmaps continues the tradition of speedmapping sessions paying tribute to CZG (and, thankfully, not his colon like that one time.)

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

site posted:

If I remember right, both it and Warhead aren’t well suited to taking advantage of modern processors. I played both of them though back to back, I want to say 4 to 5 years ago, on a 2500K and 290X rig, and if you checked CPU usage it was only using like 2 threads. I remember checking because there were times the frame rate would tank for apparently no reason and was curious what the hell was going on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah its the same problem i had replaying saints row 3 & 4, games totally ream my cpu because they only use like a core (bottlenecking itself at 100%) and half so i got 4 idle cores but its hitting 90c

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A remaster of Crysis 1/Warhead e will be welcome , just to have a game that uses multicore cpu properly, yep.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

site posted:

yeah its the same problem i had replaying saints row 3 & 4, games totally ream my cpu because they only use like a core (bottlenecking itself at 100%) and half so i got 4 idle cores but its hitting 90c

I’m an idiot who enjoys Arma3, so I know this pain all too well. One core will regularly hit 100 percent usage, it will sip from another, and the 6 others will sit at idle. You can tell when there are AI units around, because the frame rate will halve.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Welcome to early-2000s game engine design, before threading became mandatory with the appearance of generation 7 consoles and consumer-targeted multicore CPUs.

I don't know what's up with Arma 3, though, it should have no excuse.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TBH I'm just surprised Crytek is still doing stuff. I thought they lost all their money and Id stole all their rendermancers. Did WARFACE and Hunt really do that well?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe theyre doing the remaster hoping for a cash injection from nostalgia seekers

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The official Xbox account tweeted as if they know something too. Wouldn't be surprised if its a Crysis remaster with raytracing and multicore support for next gen consoles and PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

TBH I'm just surprised Crytek is still doing stuff. I thought they lost all their money and Id stole all their rendermancers. Did WARFACE and Hunt really do that well?
Hunt's done OK, I think, though it didn't blow up like other BRs and also isn't really a BR. I still play it and it maintains a very consistent playerbase of about 10k at any one time. Steamspy claims between 2 and 5 million owners but who knows if that's even slightly accurate.

I do remember seeing an article that WARFACE is quietly huge, though from what I understand the team spun off into their own company.

E: Yeah, supposedly it has fucken 80 million registered players not that that means anything for a F2P game.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 13, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder what the ETA until some idiot goes "UGH THE REMASTER IS poo poo THEY CLEARLY DOWNGRADED THE GRAPHICS" simply because you can actually run it maxed out

e: Also Warface is huge in China and Russia afaik, it just never took off in the anglosphere.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
nvidia account tweeted at that too fffffffffffffff

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ETPC posted:

nvidia account tweeted at that too fffffffffffffff

raytracing in the remaster, 100% sure then.

Man, I still remember the terrible ending in Crysis 3...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

raytracing in the remaster, 100% sure then.

Man, I still remember the terrible ending in Crysis 3...

I don't even remember the plot of Crysis 3, something to do with the bad guys from the second game starting an energy company and loving everyone over with massive bills? There was a cool bit where you blew up a dam though IIRC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder what the ETA until some idiot goes "UGH THE REMASTER IS poo poo THEY CLEARLY DOWNGRADED THE GRAPHICS" simply because you can actually run it maxed out

If it supports raytracing this will probably again not be the case for any consumer-attainable graphics hardware.

gently caress, make the top option 100% raytraced image generation. Or require a RenderMan install.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'll be disappointed if it doesn't have ridiculously unusable ultra settings that'll be playable in 2030.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Here's hoping they remake the game into something actually good!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wow

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
make the zero-g section longer

make infinite suit power a selectable option

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sort of in line with early FPS, but sad news either way: the VA of TF2's Soldier has died.

https://twitter.com/DmnPix515/status/1249787590716174336

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BurningCourage posted:

Anyone got any experience with getting the Doom RPG mod working with the RL stuff? Even using the DoomRPG specific launcher someone made, I just get a litany of errors and so far only one actual half-success. What should I be doing to get the drat thing working?

Seeing the DoomRPG mod get brought up reminds me that I tried to get it running at one point, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I downloaded it and got the vanilla mod running, but...well, it doesn't seem bad, per se, but the amount of stuff it throws at you and the number of new keyboard commands you have to input is daunting. Adding in the other mods must make it even more complicated.

Feels like I'm 1 for 4 out for FPS-RPG hybrids. New Vegas is the only game where I really took to it. Everything else I've bounced off; Borderlands, Shadow Warrior 2, Destiny 2 (actually I still have SW2 and Destiny 2 installed, and I should try to put some more time into both.)

Sergeant Steiner posted:

I’m an idiot who enjoys Arma3, so I know this pain all too well. One core will regularly hit 100 percent usage, it will sip from another, and the 6 others will sit at idle. You can tell when there are AI units around, because the frame rate will halve.

ARMA 3 is one of those games that seems like a lot of fun if you can get mods setup with it, but everytime I've tried to run it, the peformance I get is terrible. My computer isn't cutting edge (i7 4790k; GTX 1070, 16GB RAM), but it still runs most games without issue. ARMA 3 though is the only game where it virtually crashed the computer (don't think it actually, crashed but I had to restart it) because it was hogging so many resources.

Shadow Hog posted:

Sort of in line with early FPS, but sad news either way: the VA of TF2's Soldier has died.

:smith:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

I don't even remember the plot of Crysis 3, something to do with the bad guys from the second game starting an energy company and loving everyone over with massive bills?

Let's be fair if this is accurate it's the most realistic thing about the Crysis series :v:

EDIT:

Shadow Hog posted:

:smith: that really sucks.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Seeing the DoomRPG mod get brought up reminds me that I tried to get it running at one point, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I downloaded it and got the vanilla mod running, but...well, it doesn't seem bad, per se, but the amount of stuff it throws at you and the number of new keyboard commands you have to input is daunting. Adding in the other mods must make it even more complicated.

Feels like I'm 1 for 4 out for FPS-RPG hybrids. New Vegas is the only game where I really took to it. Everything else I've bounced off; Borderlands, Shadow Warrior 2, Destiny 2 (actually I still have SW2 and Destiny 2 installed, and I should try to put some more time into both.)

Myself I'm in the same position, I try a lot of the FPS-Looter hybrids but I always bounce off. I can't get on with the Borderlands games and Destiny 2 got overwhelmingly grindy quickly when I tried it around Shadowkeep.

Thus was the appeal of DoomRPG + the handful of compatible mods. I've got it kind-of working now, but the mods aren't working fully for some reason. I do get the wacky new melee attacks that behave differently at least, like having the Saitama one punch, but I can't choose classes!

Doom Eternal just put me on a Doom/Doomclone kick, they're all I've been playing. It's fascinating seeing that Doom and its relatives are just platforms for entire games now, stuff like Golden Souls could easily be a retail product and I'd buy it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

site posted:

There was a DF on this exact topic, as it happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYA-H3qpTI

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not to say that I didn't have fun playing Crysis, but I only had fun when I was breaking the game and giving myself unlimited suit energy and the ability to run so fast that I commonly died running into walls. If they remove the ability to mess with those settings I will be upset.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Not to say that I didn't have fun playing Crysis, but I only had fun when I was breaking the game and giving myself unlimited suit energy and the ability to run so fast that I commonly died running into walls. If they remove the ability to mess with those settings I will be upset.

They 100% remove that ability and probably sell it as DLC somewhere down the line.

Crysis 1 sucked. All the talk about an open level design was bullshit; it's a corridor shooter with slightly wider corridors and the suit powers are implemented in the most boring and un-fun way. Warhead is very marginally better but still not great.

It isn't until Crysis 2 that Crytek figured out people were in it for the superpowers, and unfortunately much better power design couldn't save Crysis 2 from the rest of Crysis 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know I played Crysis 2. I remember the submarine, and Battery Park, and an overpass. But that's about it. I should probably replay it all the way through.