Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
off topic for the thread but ff12 is an incredibly underrated gem of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Powerwash Simulator has an aiming mode where it locks down your view, and now moving the mouse controls the angling of your sprayer instead of where you're looking. Makes sense to use when you have a big flat area you want to sweep over more evenly.

Unfortunately, the concept of "moving the mouse isn't moving my character" does not agree with my brain and using it gives me instant pangs of motion sickness. :(

Though the game in general might be giving me low levels of it by default. If only due to some of the funky angles you need to deal with.

I apparently had the opposite problem - the camera jerking around so much in normal mode was making me insta-nauseous, to the point where I was tapping 'c' automatically on entering a stage, and only going back to normal mode if there was a tricky angle I had to deal with. Maybe my brain just isn't cut out for quick-moving FPSes anymore...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marshmallow creep posted:

Dragon age 2 had problems but I remember setting up really satisfying combos with the scripting. It was more user friendly than DAO but not as simple as DAI. I... honestly don't remember any scripting for DAI. I suppose if that existed it shows how little I used it across multiple playthroughs.

Yeah DA2 had surprisingly solid combat mechanics let down by dogshit encounter design.

Inquisiton's UI was awful for party-based fights. You couldn't even get tooltips a lot of the time which hurt if you were suddenly playing an unfamiliar party member mid-fight.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

4REAL posted:

Of my gazillion hours in RDR2 I'm pretty sure like half of them are me running all over the map trying to find all the cigarette cards

Same. Also finding the four types of berry for Herbalism 3.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Jul 4, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

I wish there was blood or some better indicator of having killed a guy. Sometimes those big blocky expressionless ragdolls don't really "fall" so much as "lean against the wall" and I find I'm putting a lot more bullets into them than is necessary.
There's a booming SFX, a different (customizable) coloured hit marker and a text message just under the crosshair.
It's already bordering on :siren: :siren: :woop: :holy: :siren: :siren:

What gets me with Battlebit is a good amount of times I get downed is because every uniform pretty much looks the same. Oh it's a guy in tan camo! Oh... it was the BAD tan...
The game doesn't have the fidelity to really make the models different enough at a glance (which is fine for the look of the game), so use those colours instead.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Croccers posted:

There's a booming SFX, a different (customizable) coloured hit marker and a text message just under the crosshair.
It's already bordering on :siren: :siren: :woop: :holy: :siren: :siren:

What gets me with Battlebit is a good amount of times I get downed is because every uniform pretty much looks the same. Oh it's a guy in tan camo! Oh... it was the BAD tan...
The game doesn't have the fidelity to really make the models different enough at a glance (which is fine for the look of the game), so use those colours instead.

There's a little red triangle above the bad guys.

Is there a sound effect for kills? Maybe I was just assuming those were more background explosions or something. There's never not sounds going on.

I know the reticle has a color change when you've hit something, but I almost never see it for some reason. I'm never really looking at the reticle.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Jayme posted:

I apparently had the opposite problem - the camera jerking around so much in normal mode was making me insta-nauseous, to the point where I was tapping 'c' automatically on entering a stage, and only going back to normal mode if there was a tricky angle I had to deal with. Maybe my brain just isn't cut out for quick-moving FPSes anymore...

Nah, there's definitely something about PWS that causes it. It's the only first-person game I can think of that causes me eye strain, even after they added the FoV slider. Shame, because I love the thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And now, weirdly enough, playing some more I didn't have a problem with the static aim mode anymore. :iiam:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

There's a little red triangle above the bad guys.

Is there a sound effect for kills? Maybe I was just assuming those were more background explosions or something. There's never not sounds going on.

I know the reticle has a color change when you've hit something, but I almost never see it for some reason. I'm never really looking at the reticle.
??? You mean the lil Green/Red thing on the back of helmets?

It's a soft bass sting. You can turn it up.

You can tweak those to hilariously large sizes. There's a set of options for each Hit, Headshot, Armor Hit and Kill types.

And this is why the two sides looking the same bugs me so much. Almost everything is tweakable which is rad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Croccers posted:

??? You mean the lil Green/Red thing on the back of helmets?

I could have swore that good guys had blue triangles and bad guys had red ones but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did something change or am I going bananas?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I bought the Advance Wars remake and that's been bugging me. You're the orange team and the blue team is the enemy, it's very counter-intuitive!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Opopanax posted:

I bought the Advance Wars remake and that's been bugging me. You're the orange team and the blue team is the enemy, it's very counter-intuitive!

Oh what so orange people should be the 'bad' people to you huh wow I cant believe someone in tyool 2023 would have this kind of mentality

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
A definite thing dragging down We Love Katamari Re-roll + Royal Reverie is that you now have to play through some levels multiple times to get each cousin. As in, only one cousin for each time through a level and the next one only appears after you get the first one.

Which is fine if it's a short-ish level, but a real gently caress you if it's one of the long ones. And no, you can't hop in the eternal version and grab them there either.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Red is the color of bad guys, republicans, and communism.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

SilentChaz posted:

A definite thing dragging down We Love Katamari Re-roll + Royal Reverie is that you now have to play through some levels multiple times to get each cousin. As in, only one cousin for each time through a level and the next one only appears after you get the first one.

Which is fine if it's a short-ish level, but a real gently caress you if it's one of the long ones. And no, you can't hop in the eternal version and grab them there either.

The biggest complaint I have is that some of the levels have you so zoomed in on the katamari that you can't see poo poo around you

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Morpheus posted:

Oh what so orange people should be the 'bad' people to you huh wow I cant believe someone in tyool 2023 would have this kind of mentality

Orange man bad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Phigs posted:

Orange man bad.

A few years ago my grandfather started to send me e-mails that just said this. I thought he was coming around that the weird fat troll he voted for was bad, but then my uncle had to explain that republicans calling their oily idol "Orange Man" is somehow one of those fuckin bizarre surreal ways republicans try to get one over on the libs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It's cause TRIMP!!! is orange.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lies of P is clunky feeling. Like it's obviously going for a Bloodborne vibe but your character doesn't control nearly as well. The dodge feels really unresponsive (thankfully it's more a perfect block focused game) and the movement just feels a bit clumsy. I died a few times trying to adjust my direction walking on a plank between rooftops; I tapped the stick as lightly as I could and Pinnochio staggered 5 feet forward and fell to his doom.

I'll still probably get it since other than that it seemed pretty good and I'm a sucker for soulslikes :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember reading that they have heard the complaints about the dodging and will be changing it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF7Remake's battle system is great, it just requires you to... actually want to control a party, like you did in the original FF7.

Actively controlling a character does two important things:
- Make their actions fill up the ATB way faster than if they were just AI-controlled
- Draw aggro from most of the other enemies

So you're meant to get into a loop most of the time where you fill up your ATB bar, unload with an ability or two, and then you're drained and you probably have all the enemies on top of you.
So you switch to a different character, who has been slowly filling ATB and is probably at least half full by now. Build them up, unload, the enemies are on them now, switch.

That said it does have one annoying trait where boss phases are often damage-gated so you might stagger a boss and get totally ready to unload on it but oops cutscene transition and its stagger gauge is empty again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

bewilderment posted:

That said it does have one annoying trait where boss phases are often damage-gated so you might stagger a boss and get totally ready to unload on it but oops cutscene transition and its stagger gauge is empty again.

That happened so frequently in that game haha

I'm playing Temtem, and while I understood it to be "Pokemon but different," it really feels like "Pokemon but the name is different." I've never even played Pokemon, but everything about this feels so identical. I mean, it's not like that's a secret, but... I didn't think it would be quite so copy+pasted. Is this a good game?

credburn has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Jul 6, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really liked FF7R's combat system but I hope in Rebirth they find a way to make every character as fun to play as Tifa.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Not a complaint, but usually in sequels you'd expect new characters to show up. In Tears of the Kingdom an entire new ancient civilization sprouts up in the six year time skip, and completely replaces the other ancient civilzation that was in the last game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not a complaint, but usually in sequels you'd expect new characters to show up. In Tears of the Kingdom an entire new ancient civilization sprouts up in the six year time skip, and completely replaces the other ancient civilzation that was in the last game.

Every ancient civilization in Zelda games is only like 3 years old. Advanced societies are like mayflies there

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Every ancient civilization in Zelda games is only like 3 years old. Advanced societies are like mayflies there

Not only that but apparently no one in Hyrule ever looked up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there were clouds

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If we’re talking about Tears, I’m kinda disappointed in the Guardian Stalker analogue in terms of atmosphere, Jumpscare Gloom Hands/Phantom Ganon. Like, they’re scary as poo poo the first time you see them and probably get the poo poo slapped out of you, and then you can just climb up a nearby surface and not engage with them until you’re ready, because they’ll just peace out. As opposed to Stalkers, where even if you have One Weird Trick, Robots Hate It (parry), mistiming the parry means eating colossal poo poo.

If anything I’d prefer if they were just sentries that you could see from a distance like normal enemies but were more persistent and dangerous if they saw you, you know, like Guardians. Heck, you can even have them use the Demon King’s Bow to snipe at you Lynel-style.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Help! My advanced societies keep mysteriously collapsing!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Overall Boltgun is a fun shooter, but the level design needed another pass IMO. It's frequently easy to get lost and there's not much signposting about where you should be headed next. I think they intended the floating skull companion to be a guide, but it's not very helpful most of the time. This leads to a lot more wandering around than should be happening in this kind of game (at least the environments tend to be detailed and cool to look around in). On top of that, there's literally no map to pull up and look at! I don't know why that's a feature that got left out but c'mon.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That's advanced ancient societies for you.

A thousand years to build up, a single catastrophic misuse of power to bring down.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

spend less on gannons

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kazil posted:

spend less on gannons

no

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

If we’re talking about Tears, I’m kinda disappointed in the Guardian Stalker analogue in terms of atmosphere, Jumpscare Gloom Hands/Phantom Ganon. Like, they’re scary as poo poo the first time you see them and probably get the poo poo slapped out of you, and then you can just climb up a nearby surface and not engage with them until you’re ready, because they’ll just peace out. As opposed to Stalkers, where even if you have One Weird Trick, Robots Hate It (parry), mistiming the parry means eating colossal poo poo.

If anything I’d prefer if they were just sentries that you could see from a distance like normal enemies but were more persistent and dangerous if they saw you, you know, like Guardians. Heck, you can even have them use the Demon King’s Bow to snipe at you Lynel-style.

Somebody on Twitter put together a design that looks like a Guardian but with the gloom aesthetic/gloom hands for feet and I think the coolest thing Nintendo could add to the game would be using that idea wholesale. The Guardians are mysteriously missing since BOTW, suddenly they show back up but they're gloomified, and they will hunt your rear end down/fire death lasers at you while the shrieking hands skitter to carry it across the ground at top speeds. They've also got this whole backwards-music aesthetic for the deeply corrupted parts of Hyrule, play that anxiety-inducing piano riff from the Guardians backwards while the hand grabs you and the laser eye charges up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bawk posted:

Somebody on Twitter put together a design that looks like a Guardian but with the gloom aesthetic/gloom hands for feet and I think the coolest thing Nintendo could add to the game would be using that idea wholesale. The Guardians are mysteriously missing since BOTW, suddenly they show back up but they're gloomified, and they will hunt your rear end down/fire death lasers at you while the shrieking hands skitter to carry it across the ground at top speeds. They've also got this whole backwards-music aesthetic for the deeply corrupted parts of Hyrule, play that anxiety-inducing piano riff from the Guardians backwards while the hand grabs you and the laser eye charges up.

I'm just imagining it like the Tatarigami from Princess Mononoke but with a gloom-covered guardian's body.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man that would be so sweet if they started crawling out from the depths after you clear 3-4 dungeons

100 hours into the game you think you've finally mastered all the challenges or situations you might come across. Then it's pants shittin time

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Pretty sure the guardians are absent for the same reason as the rest of the Shiekah technology like the towers and shrines. It's a combo of Purah and her crew dismantling it to repurpose its parts to build skyview towers and poo poo, and the upheaval/gloom loving it up. It's a bit of a contrivance, ngl, but it makes sense at least. And I think the sky islands are supposed to have been much, much higher, to the point of not being visible, prior to the upheaval.

Speaking of plot holes in TOTK, I am kind of confused as to what's the deal with Zelda's relationship to Rauru and Sonia. It's pretty heavily implied that she's their direct descendent, as she has access to both Rauru's light powers and Sonia's time powers, and also obviously they're the king and queen of the kingdom she's princess of. But it's never outright said, I don't think. They also appear to have no children before they both die in the Imprisoning War; if they do, then all mention of them is mysteriously absent from the memories we see. So is Zelda their descendent or not? If so, where are Rauru and Sonia's kids, and if not, what is Zelda's relationship to them?

One possibility I thought of is that Rauru's sister Mineru, who does survive, becomes queen after the Imprisoning War and later has children and becomes Zelda's ancestor. But then Sonia and Zelda aren't related, and multiple scenes that draw a strong connection between Sonia's and Zelda's time powers make no sense. Zelda should have spirit powers instead of time powers if that's the case. So I don't think that is right.

Obviously this all doesn't really matter cause it's a fuckin zelda game, but if you make a game about kings and queens and princesses and kingdoms, I'm gonna wonder about genealogy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

When the Imprisoning War happened, Mineru also got her rear end kicked pretty heavily. She ends up putting her spirit into the Purah Pad as a means of continuing the fight later through Zelda's plan

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

bawk posted:

When the Imprisoning War happened, Mineru also got her rear end kicked pretty heavily. She ends up putting her spirit into the Purah Pad as a means of continuing the fight later through Zelda's plan

Hmm, I forgot about that scene where she looked all hosed up from the gloom, so maybe she was already dying. I was imagining that she survived and could've spent some time mothering a child before doing that whole business with Zelda. The theory's not really plausible for the other reasons I mentioned anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
How about the fact that they don't play the Chocobo theme when you ride one in FF16? What kind of bullshit is that?