Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Squeezy Farm posted:

crysis is cool because mech warrior living legends is badass

It is, but good luck getting into MWLL now without 7 other grognards yelling at you through chat because you did something "wrong".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Barudak posted:

Expect a huge push in PC gaming now for drive speed on a related note

Can you expand on this?

For example I built my computer in 2016 and four years later, it still plays every game I throw at it max settings, 60fps, 1080p. I’ve been wondering what the next big “leap” will be especially with the new consoles coming out (assuming no Covid19 delays)

Ray Tracing, 4K, VR?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Can you expand on this?

The upcoming consoles have ludicrously fast SSDs and gaming PCs are going to need to keep up once games start being built around those rather than the dogshit laptop harddrives the current consoles use.

Consoles are leapfrogging PCs here, most SSDs you can buy today are slower than what's in the PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, remember all those "squeeze through a crack in a wall" scenes? They'll be gone next gen on consoles.

The SSD in the PS5 is so fast that even though theoretically you can replace it wit off the shelf parts, there isn't yet a consumer product on the market that meets its specs. Even going with the slower Sexbox drive, its still roughly 25 times as fast as a 5400 rpm drive.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

The upcoming consoles have ludicrously fast SSDs and gaming PCs are going to need to keep up once games start being built around those rather than the dogshit laptop harddrives the current consoles use.

Consoles are leapfrogging PCs here, most SSDs you can buy today are slower than what's in the PS5.

You mean games will finally be able to take advantage of my m.2 drive?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jehde posted:

You mean games will finally be able to take advantage of my m.2 drive?

Your m.2 might be below minimum spec, since the slower xbox is using nvme and pulling 2.4/4.8 GB/second

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 15, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

So trying doomrpg after seeing topic brought up: Is the uac base suppose to be at the start or the end or in between each stage cause the mod sort of implies that you can only get certain upgrades from the base...

I dont get it... i finished a run with original doom2 maps and the game just ends without ever even going to the base. Did i do something wrong?
I just checked this out and played a few maps and the interface kind of sucks but there's a skill called Transport that you can cast to take you there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tim Thomas posted:

I’m all for making GBS threads on tactical shooters, you do you, but anyone who is saying crysis/warhead is rear end, what is a better tactical shooter? it’s the top of that genre and I’ve yet to play anything that comes close.

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

(PC version, Athena Sword preferred but optional. xbox version is fine too, but also not actually the same game in any way, shape or form)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imma let you finish but SWAT IV is the best tactical shooter of all time

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

(PC version, Athena Sword preferred but optional. xbox version is fine too, but also not actually the same game in any way, shape or form)

good game but I think warhead is better, BUT

Barudak posted:

Imma let you finish but SWAT IV is the best tactical shooter of all time

i retract, this is correct

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Your m.2 might be below minimum spec, since the slower xbox is using nvme and pulling 2.4/4.8 GB/second

It remains to be seen whether this will actually matter in practice at all. There are still load times on NVME even for PC-only titles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

It remains to be seen whether this will actually matter in practice at all. There are still load times on NVME even for PC-only titles.

I dont think there are any NVME exclusive titles though, is the point. When new consoles launch all games for those systems minimum specs will be what I quoted with playstation exclusives able to (theoretically) double that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
MW5 might as well be NVME exclusive because I installed it on spinning rust and it takes like 4 minutes to load each mission

Also I really liked RS3 and SWAT4 but I have trouble playing them now because cop games

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is because the game and engine are designed with a HDD in mind this gen, loading everything from HDD into RAM at launch to prevent possible performance problems caused by asset management during gameplay. Xboxsex and ps5 have storage fast enough that its possible to pull data from it when needed, so cheats used to hide load times and asset streaming artifacts (eleveators, cut scenes) could be eliminated and the way data is packed, optimised for HDDs with heaps of redundant data to reduce seek times, could be changed to be far more efficient.

By the sounds of it, it'll be like going back to cartridges where the performance difference between the storage medium and system RAM are relatively small (relative to HDD/Optical anyway).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

I feel like the progress of game graphics started to really slow down in around 2007 so nobody needed to do regular pc upgrades anymore and crysis was one of the last games that was marketed as something to test your new graphics card on
A lot of it is that most graphically-intense AAA games used consoles as their target platform and the PS360 era lasted a full decade.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

MW5 might as well be NVME exclusive because I installed it on spinning rust and it takes like 4 minutes to load each mission

Also I really liked RS3 and SWAT4 but I have trouble playing them now because cop games

I don't see the issue. Also RS3 has nothing to do with cops.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

So trying doomrpg after seeing topic brought up: Is the uac base suppose to be at the start or the end or in between each stage cause the mod sort of implies that you can only get certain upgrades from the base...

I dont get it... i finished a run with original doom2 maps and the game just ends without ever even going to the base. Did i do something wrong?

There's an option somewhere where you can choose to go back to base after every mission, find that and turn it on. I think it's in DoomRPG options.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I don't see the issue. Also RS3 has nothing to do with cops.

R6 are just interpol SWAT really

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Meh, if you can put yourself in the fiction of being a mythical doom slayer that kill demons maybe you also can put yourself in the fiction of being a good cop in an ideal world where cop corruption doesn't exist

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

R6 are just interpol SWAT really

I still don't see the issue and then

Turin Turambar posted:

Meh, if you can put yourself in the fiction of being a mythical doom slayer that kill demons maybe you also can put yourself in the fiction of being a good cop in an ideal world where cop corruption doesn't exist

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I still don't see the issue and then

:shrug:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

I just checked this out and played a few maps and the interface kind of sucks but there's a skill called Transport that you can cast to take you there.

BurningCourage posted:

There's an option somewhere where you can choose to go back to base after every mission, find that and turn it on. I think it's in DoomRPG options.

Thanks !

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

kirbysuperstar posted:

you’re playing the baddies, problem solved

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Not to derail or anything but like, mythical righteous vengeance fueled demigods who exist to slay demonkind for eons are completely removed from reality. Police brutality is not. I can absolutely see and understand that being a barrier for enjoyment. It's hard, especially in this day and age, to forget the real rear end poo poo that goes down.

But on FPS chat: Limited Run games STILL hasn't shipped the fucken boxed System Shock copies and I ordered that poo poo back in October. They only had 99 of these things, what could possibly be the hold up? Well, now I understand but what was the excuse before?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tim Thomas posted:

you’re playing the baddies, problem solved

Pretty sure the religious cult that murdered their own children and buried them in the basement are the baddies but what do I know :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty sure the religious cult that murdered their own children and buried them in the basement are the baddies but what do I know :v:

Yeah in SWAT 4 you are absolutely playing the good guys. You get penalized for not following procedure to the letter. You lose if you shoot someone who was unarmed. You have to give people a chance to surrender themselves even if they are armed and actively pointing their guns at you. And every opposing force in every mission is always clearly criminals (and no matter how bad they are, you are expected to treat them all with the same level of strict procedure following).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's okay to not be comfortable playing games where you do war and murder on people. I used to like playing pretend victim in Red Orchestra as a "stay alive as long as possible before being horribly murdered" role playing game but today I'm happy to say that I've worked through those issues and have been gruesome imaginary death-free for 10 years. namaste

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah in SWAT 4 you are absolutely playing the good guys. You get penalized for not following procedure to the letter. You lose if you shoot someone who was unarmed. You have to give people a chance to surrender themselves even if they are armed and actively pointing their guns at you. And every opposing force in every mission is always clearly criminals (and no matter how bad they are, you are expected to treat them all with the same level of strict procedure following).

so completely unlike reality

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
acab

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

site posted:

so completely unlike reality

Yes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

What about Robocops?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Not to derail or anything but like, mythical righteous vengeance fueled demigods who exist to slay demonkind for eons are completely removed from reality. Police brutality is not. I can absolutely see and understand that being a barrier for enjoyment. It's hard, especially in this day and age, to forget the real rear end poo poo that goes down.

But on FPS chat: Limited Run games STILL hasn't shipped the fucken boxed System Shock copies and I ordered that poo poo back in October. They only had 99 of these things, what could possibly be the hold up? Well, now I understand but what was the excuse before?

Limited Run is top quality but you might as well tack 6 months onto whatever shipping date they give you. My copy of Sigil got delayed multiple times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wild T posted:

What about Robocops?

the first 'a' stands for 'all'

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Wild T posted:

What about Robocops?

Still had to kill 'im to get Robocop

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We finally built a new PC which means I get to catch up on the games of yesteryear that have been sitting in my Steam library unplayed because I didn't have the hardware for it.

Anyway I'm working on Wolfenstein: The New Order right now. The game is great but it has this super loving obnoxious habit of failing to launch and it's driving me insane.

I click play, Steam says it's running, but then it doesn't. I check the Task Manager and it isn't running but when I try to force close Steam I get a message saying the game is running. Restarting Steam doesn't even work so the only way to correct it is to restart the computer altogether.

What the hell is going on here? I Googled it but people keep mentioning black screens and DisplayLink but neither of those are applicable to my situation :psyduck:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finished Unreal with the Unreal Evolution mod. It was... OK.

The biggest gameplay change is the weapon upgrades. I didn't realize at first that the weapons in their base form are all slightly nerfed from their OG versions (I think; at the very least they have a lot of annoying recoil). All throughout the game you come across upgrade canisters that let you upgrade one of two weapons (you don't get to pick what the upgrade is, just which weapon). The problem with this is two fold: if you miss any canisters you are missing out on better weapons, and some weapons end up staying pretty bad since you never upgrade them. I think I only upgraded the biorifle like once, for example. Pretty late in the game I even picked the distruptor pistol since the alternative was worse (that one worked out super well since a fully auto disruptor is surprisingly hilarious!).

Like I mentioned in my first post about it there are some minor additions and behavioral changes to the bestiary to flesh out the world a bit more. I didn't mind the new enemies (acid spitting spiders and a squid), but the teleporting enemies are a bit tedious. Supposedly the boss fights are "better" whatever that means but the final boss is still a pushover.

Unfortunately it doesn't really fix the biggest issue with Unreal which is that it gets a bit tedious in the final levels. The game is squarely from the age where they couldn't display many enemies on screen so they made up for it by making them spongy and/or very hard to hit. Fighting a non-stop onslaught of what are essentially multiplayer bots gets a bit old. The arsenal is in some ways almost a multiplayer loadout since it's very balanced and there's no real direct replacements which is both good and bad, but I really wish there was a super-gun with limited ammo so you could occasionally just tear through enemies.

If you've played the game a million times before and want something new I would recommend checking it out, but for me a large part of Unreal is nostalgia. I think I might have been happier with the Oldskool mod where you play Unreal inside of UT99 with those weapons (because gently caress the stinger).

Is Return to Na Pali worth playing? I think I've only ever played like 15 minutes of it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Refactored how my GZDoom UI project renders on screen :science: and now I'm dealing with Gimbal Lock. Yay! :eng99:

Looks like :barf: but its like throwing stuff at the wall to see whats breaking, in this case rotations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

repiv posted:

It looks like it can go around the speed of a ram disk which is pretty fast, I wonder if they will release more PCIE adapter cards to plug them into current mother boards. But the current m2/u2 ports are 4x as well so they should just plug into those?
And what is the use of really fast hard disk other than loading bigger things in time? It still needs to transfer everything in the memory and such first.

Lemon King posted:

Refactored how my GZDoom UI project renders on screen :science: and now I'm dealing with Gimbal Lock. Yay! :eng99:

If you are dealing with gimbal lock in doom you have probably already gone too far, so keep going.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 16, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I always thought what doom was really missing was the quaternions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

david_a posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't really fix the biggest issue with Unreal which is that it gets a bit tedious in the final levels. The game is squarely from the age where they couldn't display many enemies on screen so they made up for it by making them spongy and/or very hard to hit. Fighting a non-stop onslaught of what are essentially multiplayer bots gets a bit old. The arsenal is in some ways almost a multiplayer loadout since it's very balanced and there's no real direct replacements which is both good and bad, but I really wish there was a super-gun with limited ammo so you could occasionally just tear through enemies.

That's how I felt by the end of the game. I always forget how long it is, and it doesn't help that the last section of the game is entirely inside the Skaarj mothership, which is just way less interesting than the fantasy areas to me.

david_a posted:

Is Return to Na Pali worth playing? I think I've only ever played like 15 minutes of it.

It's alright, it's basically more Unreal, but with some terrible voice acting and a few new enemies and weapons. At least some of the levels were cut from the base game and you can tell where they would have slotted in based on the style.