Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AshleyCuadra1/status/1493709718329700356

And TRUKK NOT MUNKY begins now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1493706271207292928?s=21

Looks like a trilogy for Rise of the Beasts and a new CG movie too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I particularly like the look of it. Kind of a weird and different aesthetic. Interesting that it's gonna be happening with Nickelodeon. I don't really have any idea how they're gonna handle it. They've wildly mishandled a lot of other shows, and I often get the sense they want out of creating new shows as a company.

What's up with the white guy that turns into a red quadcopter?

Oh, that's Bumblebee. That's what Bumblebee looks like now.

He still can't talk.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

What's so bad about it?

Optimus looks very mechanical. Elita looks like she put on some weight and now looks like a mom? This sounds negative, but it isn't just something I think and have no strong feelings over either way.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
My only complaint about that movie announcement is I hate how things like have to be announced as multiple things. I want things to be able to just tell a story and not have to be setting up cinematic universes etc. I AM curious on a CGI movie though and the cartoon having Nick Roche on it already has me intrigued.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It would be cool if the CG film was, like, a LSOTW adaptation, but I don't think that story is four-quadrant enough.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The CGI movie is supposed to be an origin story set on Cybertron.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think when it was first announced the CGI movie was supposed to the origins of the war in the Bayverse? I'm guessing things have changed quite a bit since then with the Bumblebee semi-reboot.

Anyway, add in one more show, with really weird timing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoulderMediaLtd/status/1494020483939020812

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, better late than never.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how it's 2022 and they still can't make a Transformers cartoon that looks as good as Beast War's last season

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

What's so bad about it?

Optimus looks very mechanical. Elita looks like she put on some weight and now looks like a mom? This sounds negative, but it isn't just something I think and have no strong feelings over either way.

I have no strong opinion on it one way or another, more amused how a certain segment of the fanbase trips over each other to declare the newest iteration an affront to God and man.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I love how it's 2022 and they still can't make a Transformers cartoon that looks as good as Beast War's last season

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I know people who worked on it way back then, and they didn't even have the budget to render shadows on most episodes.

I think the biggest difference between Beast Wars and more modern shows is direction. I can't speak for this latest series, but shows like Prime and Cyberverse were hiring directors who came from 2D animation, while Beast Wars took advantage of the many live action TV directors infesting the gutters of Vancouver, who had a more innate understanding of staging scenes in a 3D space. It also helped that Beast Wars had a small local team, while newer shows tend to outsource to other countries where directors aren't necessarily giving feedback directly to the animators, or even speaking the same language.

There's also a degree of complexity in newer shows that didn't used to exist, but schedules aren't changing to accommodate that. On Beast Wars, they basically just did the animation and then rendered it (if you can call screen-recording the frames generated by the animators' local machines "rendering"). Now every shot has to go through a bunch of different departments in the same amount of time, so the quality suffers.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 16, 2022

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Prime looked better than Beast Wars in every way imaginable. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Prime has obviously superior rigging and lighting and materials but Beast Wars has much more ambitious and experimental staging and its willingness to push animation boundaries with goofy proportions and forced perspective make many of its best moments way more memorable than Cool Fight #17 from Prime.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I never saw more than a few minutes of Prime but it looked bland to me. I actually sat through an episode or two of the Netflix shows and those look and sound hacked together for five dollars.

Part of the reason why I got into Transformers as a kid is because I thought the show looked really cool. I'm way outside the target demo now so what do I know, but I just get a little tiny pang of sadness that there's no highly reflective glossy chrome surfaces, cool split focus shots, age inappropriate sexual inuendo/ultraviolence or shredding guitar solos anymore like an old fart would.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Prime was the first series to actually give Transformers a sense of scale and heaviness. You felt like you were in Jack and the other kids’ shoes when they first met them, due to a combination of staging and the fact that Prime TFs actually had a sense of weight. This is undoubtedly due to how primitive it is, but BW characters all felt the “same” in how they moved and carried themselves; they felt like puppets held up by invisible strings. Prime did admittedly start out a bit stiff, but it also came to eclipse BW in terms of how emotive characters were. Just watch Starscream in later seasons, every part of him moves when he emotes, from his wings slumping and raising depending on whether he’s happy or sad, for instance.

BW is good by the standards of its time but lots of shows have eclipsed it since.y

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Prime Starscream is the definitive version of the character for me, and a huge part of that is his physical characterization.

Comparing the two shows, you can see where their different strengths are.

Both of these are from the 21st episode of the first season, so each show has had about the same amount of time to mature.

In Beast Wars, you've got a camera that's orbiting around the characters, which doesn't really come across in a still image, but it gives the shot a lot of depth. The characters are kind of bunched into the frame and are all just standing there like action figures, but the blocking of the scene conveys that Waspinator (or Starscream in Waspinator's body) is at odds with the rest of Megatron's crew, and making him the largest character in the frame helps to sell that he's actually still got some power in the scene despite being alone.

In Prime, you've got a nice static composition and a better sense of each character's individual personality and feelings, but the image isn't doing much storytelling on its own. The characters are arranged in a triangle shape that guides the eye towards Optimus, but the shot is actually about Ratchet and Bulkhead, who are relegated to the lower right-hand side of the frame.

Both shows can and do have moments of good physical characterization or visual storytelling, but Beast Wars leans more into stuff like wide lenses and dutch angles to heighten what's happening in a scene and compensate for shortcomings in the anim, while Prime is more content to let the animation within the frame do most of the heavy lifting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there a reasonably easy way to watch Beast Wars in the UK? I had a look on Netflix but all I saw was the WfC dirges and the second season of Cyberverse.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the best versions around are probably the 4k upscaled episodes that one guy's been making and putting on youtube, but I don't know if they're region blocked at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They aren't, cheers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I think the best versions around are probably the 4k upscaled episodes that one guy's been making and putting on youtube, but I don't know if they're region blocked at all.

I'd probably download those while I could. I can't imagine they'll have a long life expectancy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can't not hear Cheetor and Rattrap as Mega Man and Proto Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When DBZ first came out on YTV in Canada it was the Ocean dub, so Goku and Piccolo were Cheetor and a really deep voiced Dinobot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Picked up SS BB Wheeljack, and just like Ratchet, the hips are super floppy.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man I love these little dudes - so much fun to mess around with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You can almost hear FrenzyRumble the cassette yell "Hey, no fair!"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Big thanks to The Great Burrito for the Secret Santa package I just got! No idea what could have happened to it, can see from the label it's been in transit fully since early December! Will throw up pictures when I have some time.

Fallingup
Oct 24, 2010

Ooh, which Grimlock is that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s a model kit one, I think?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah, looks like a knockoff Warbotron Grimlock.

https://www.tfsafari.com/products/kbb-dinobot-g1-grimlock-building-set-12cm

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Canada Post dropped the ball pretty bad, here's my Secret Santa haul from The Great Burrito.

Fans project Rodimus upgrade is super cool, never had any major third party stuff before but the Universe upgrades like this and the Optimus ones have long had my eye. I'm not familiar with the series the model kit is from but it looks like a sweet build, and I keep hearing great things about Legends Soundwave there. Tracks was a good shout there, was on the fence but it's great when you figure out how the legs work! Thanks!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Look who got dropped off at my door today!

Such saurian charisma!

He makes a pretty good steed for his namesake.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Fallingup posted:

Ooh, which Grimlock is that?

As already mentioned, it's the KBB kit. It was the smallest Grimlock I could find and seems to scale ok with the core class guys. Plus it was super cheap!

It's been a while since I put together a kit - it was fun, but the dino legs/robot arms don't seem to screw together perfectly so they're a bit floppy. But he can still stand and pose fine.

The mini Insecticons are super posable for something so small - probably my fav of the lot. The energon cubes are a nice bonus too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“McDonald’s! McDonald’s! McDonald’s!”

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Canada Post dropped the ball pretty bad, here's my Secret Santa haul from The Great Burrito.

Fans project Rodimus upgrade is super cool, never had any major third party stuff before but the Universe upgrades like this and the Optimus ones have long had my eye. I'm not familiar with the series the model kit is from but it looks like a sweet build, and I keep hearing great things about Legends Soundwave there. Tracks was a good shout there, was on the fence but it's great when you figure out how the legs work! Thanks!

Glad it finally showed up! When I sent it they gave me an approximate 2 week time frame but couldn’t promise. Literally the day you said it arrived I had just dispatched a much smaller order from amazon UK, and was able to send it back. Long story short merry belated Xmas!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Rox posted:

As already mentioned, it's the KBB kit. It was the smallest Grimlock I could find and seems to scale ok with the core class guys. Plus it was super cheap!

It's been a while since I put together a kit - it was fun, but the dino legs/robot arms don't seem to screw together perfectly so they're a bit floppy. But he can still stand and pose fine.

The mini Insecticons are super posable for something so small - probably my fav of the lot. The energon cubes are a nice bonus too.

Lmao his expression is perfect fot this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What do y'all think of Kingdom Scorponok and Terrorsaur? I kinda want to get them as a little goon squad for BW Megs, especially after seeing how dirty they got done at the end of season 1.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dabir posted:

What do y'all think of Kingdom Scorponok and Terrorsaur? I kinda want to get them as a little goon squad for BW Megs, especially after seeing how dirty they got done at the end of season 1.

Terrorsaur good, scorponok just ok.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there anything that's particularly difficult to ignore about Scorponok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
He’s incredibly square torsoed, and very short. The original was one of the bigger Predacons, so it was weird to see him so stubby. However he’s my fav transformer so I bought one, and with the waist and leg upgrade kits he’s pretty decent.

Terrorsaur is a retool of the recent fantastic Airazor, and looks great in bot mode. His beast mode is kinda terrible.