Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I have heard Christians literally argue that the value of charity is not in helping the poor, but in giving you spiritual fulfillment by choosing to do good things.

Probably the same people who can't wrap their head around atheistic and agnostic morality either. They act like it's truly hard to be good without the ever looming threat of eternal damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

xergm posted:

Probably the same people who can't wrap their head around atheistic and agnostic morality either. They act like it's truly hard to be good without the ever looming threat of eternal damnation.

My parents' church friend was blown away by someone being atheist and wasn't like sacrificing chickens to the blood God or something.

She's in her 60s and is from NY.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Understanding morality in terms of one's own purity or goodness rather than in terms of the outcomes of one's actions is hardly limited to evangelicals. How many lefties do you know who "vote their conscience" for third parties or engage in meaningless, personal boycotts of companies that won't notice the lost revenue?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Svanja posted:

That literally makes me nauseous that people think of it that way.

Literal quote "How can it be charity if the government does it for you?"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Pope Guilty posted:

Understanding morality in terms of one's own purity or goodness rather than in terms of the outcomes of one's actions is hardly limited to evangelicals. How many lefties do you know who "vote their conscience" for third parties or engage in meaningless, personal boycotts of companies that won't notice the lost revenue?

I do the latter a lot and I know that it doesn't impact their bottom line too much. But I don't berate people who don't do exactly the same as me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So let me ask this question:
If during the first debate Hillary took institutional responsibility for the Gulf War II and Benghazi - not personally but as a government official - and just let Patricia Smith scream at her on stage do you think it would have any positive effect on her or would it just galvanize those who think she should be imprisoned but can't actually think of a charge that would stick?

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 4, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Those aren't the same at all. A personal boycott can have absolutely no impact whatsoever (and the only way they can if enough individuals take part) but it's not equivalent to actively trying to reduce safety nets because they reduce poverty and thus the amount of people that need religious charity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's not the same result but it's sure the same underlying principle that morality is about individual performance of moral rules rather than about external outcomes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just remember every single conservative I know raving about Gran Torino and I'm pretty sure it was mostly because they saw the movie as "badass old white veteran stands up to disrespectful ethnic thugs"

Yeah, they have a tendency to do that.

Along with every other "ZERO DARK THIRTY/AMERICAN SNIPER/13 HOURS" movie that comes out. Then they throw a hissy fit when Hollywood doesn't give them an oscar and blame it on hollywood being "TOO LIBERAL".

No, no. Could it be that a.) films snobs have different tastes, and b.) the movies they gave the awards to were BETTER?

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Sean Hannity: “I have watched these Republicans be more harsh towards Donald Trump than they’ve ever been in standing up to Barack Obama and his radical agenda"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Because ... ?

BECAUSE ... ?

C'mon man, you're literally one step away and nobody listening to you can see it?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brown face?

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/761202586947051520

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He put antisemitic words into the mouth of the impersonation he did of Ana Kasparian.

What's sad is...Ben Shapiro is in that video and he goes onto slander the Young Turks. I saw a video the other day where Cenk actually was "fair" to him and said defended his right to speak on campus.

These people are human garbage. Crowder's impersonation seems to come from a place of hatred, anger and racism. I really hate that that sack of poo poo.

Cenk isn't perfect, but give me that guy any day of the week.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This is great and good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

He put antisemitic words into the mouth of the impersonation he did of Ana Kasparian.

What's sad is...Ben Shapiro is in that video and he goes onto slander the Young Turks. I saw a video the other day where Cenk actually was "fair" to him and said defended his right to speak on campus.

These people are human garbage. Crowder's impersonation seems to come from a place of hatred, anger and racism. I really hate that that sack of poo poo.

Cenk isn't perfect, but give me that guy any day of the week.

Yea Cenk was super toothless with him in person compared to his usual 'I just hate them SO MUCH' poo poo, and did the whole 'well free speech means you literally have to be allowed to speak anywhere you want at any time' thing. It was the nicest the interview could have been.

But gently caress him anyway I guess

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Cenk was super toothless with him in person compared to his usual 'I just hate them SO MUCH' poo poo, and did the whole 'well free speech means you literally have to be allowed to speak anywhere you want at any time' thing. It was the nicest the interview could have been.

But gently caress him anyway I guess

The more I think about it, the impersonation reminds me of when Frank Grimes went nuts at the end of 'Homer's Enemy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egouKh2eErk

It's coming from a place of anger and resentment.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

I've only seen one TYT video, so I'm not very familiar with Cenk. Is the bacon grease thing (I wouldn't say it's a joke) in Crowder's video just "lol he's an overweight Muslim, probably chugs the stuff, even though he's not supposed to," or is there something I'm missing? I'm guessing I'm not missing anything, because Crowder is human garbage and incapable of understanding those with whom he disagrees or "satirizes."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trilas posted:

I've only seen one TYT video, so I'm not very familiar with Cenk. Is the bacon grease thing (I wouldn't say it's a joke) in Crowder's video just "lol he's an overweight Muslim, probably chugs the stuff, even though he's not supposed to," or is there something I'm missing? I'm guessing I'm not missing anything, because Crowder is human garbage and incapable of understanding those with whom he disagrees or "satirizes."

Cenk is actually an avowed atheist, so Crowder couldn't even get be bothered to check that in his rush to be a jackass.

I've fallen out of love with TYT myself over the last few years, but I'll still admit they're more a force for good in this world than ill, especially compared to Crowder, Walsh, Shapiro, et al.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

The more I think about it, the impersonation reminds me of when Frank Grimes went nuts at the end of 'Homer's Enemy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egouKh2eErk

It's coming from a place of anger and resentment.

Which is the opposite of comedy. If Chowder wasn't such a hateful bigot and did some improv/acting classes he might actually show some talent. He's too much of a twisted, insecure rear end in a top hat to make that leap, though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I've fallen out of love with TYT myself over the last few years, but I'll still admit they're more a force for good in this world than ill, especially compared to Crowder, Walsh, Shapiro, et al.

The slander against Sam Harris was a particularly low point, but I gather that was mostly Cenk's doing. I know a bunch of ex TYT people raked him over the coals for it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I have heard Christians literally argue that the value of charity is not in helping the poor, but in giving you spiritual fulfillment by choosing to do good things.

lmao, when they get up to heaven, Jesus is going to be waiting for them and it's going to be like that scene from a Christmas Story where Santa pushes Ralphie down the slide with his boot

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/761337132447330304

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Well, that's a good start.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly surprised Zimmerman hasn't showed up on the campaign trail with Trump, at this point.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/markdice/status/761336625976610816

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Let us play a little song for him on the smallest violin in the world.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/hydrophiinae/status/761338714878382080

:laugh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kilroy posted:

To be clear, I don't think Eastwood is an old angry racist nor that he was a young angry racist. I would guess he was just incurious about racial issues in general and accepting of the status quo ca 1960 or so, and has not made much effort to update his beliefs since then. That means he was a young ordinary racist in 1960 and an old ordinary racist now.

He's got no excuse for not pulling his head out of his rear end in the last fifty years, but as these things go there are bigger fish to fry.

I think it's just generational and hard for people to understand. My Grandmother, one of the kindest, sweetest and most generous people I've ever known viewed and categorized people by race for no other reason than that was what she was taught. When you get older and the world starts moving faster than you can keep up, it can be a struggle.

It doesn't excuse anything or make it right simply because I loved her, but it provides context and explains how people form their world view. It's going to happen to us too.

seiferguy posted:

Bill Maher in a New Rules segment called Donald Trump the last 1950s man that will probably ever run for office. A guy who wants to bring America back to the 50s, where white men were head of the household, they got a good paying job that supported the whole family, and everyone ignored all the issues that eventually popped up in the 60s (civil rights, the hippie movement, anti-war protests, etc). When I see Eastwood talk about how much he loves Trump.

Eastwood is a fantastic filmmaker. You can appreciate a film for the creative work that it is, while strongly disagreeing with their views. But still, it's still funny to see a guy who created Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, two movies about an old man overcoming his deep-seated prejudices towards a minority to see the light, still wants to vote for the 1950s man.

You left out Unforgiven, his best film, where his best friend was a black dude and the guy he finally went to the wall for.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 5, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Zimmerman is going to spend the rest of his life hated and mocked, and only he is never, ever going to understand why.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bushiz posted:

I'm honestly surprised Zimmerman hasn't showed up on the campaign trail with Trump, at this point.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/402758686659325952

He doesn't seem to be a fan but than again this was almost three years ago..

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/402758686659325952

He doesn't seem to be a fan but than again this was almost three years ago..

I wonder how many Republicans that were mad at this tweet in 2013 are now supporters

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's just generational and hard for people to understand. My Grandmother, one of the kindest, sweetest and most generous people I've ever known viewed and categorized people by race for no other reason than that was what she was taught. When you get older and the world starts moving faster than you can keep up, it can be a struggle.

It doesn't excuse anything or make it right simply because I loved her, but it provides context and explains how people form their world view. It's going to happen to us too.

Someone post the webcomic about not being able to call them "pets" in the future.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was Zimmerman even in the news before that tweet? Or is that after the shooting?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

BiggerBoat posted:

You left out Unforgiven, his best film, where his best friend was a black dude and the guy he finally went to the wall for.

It also repudiates all of the western mythology in the movies before it, since all of the cowboys and gunslingers are psychologically damaged drunkards. It's a deconstruction of the very genre that made him famous which took balls.

It's up there with High Noon, which John Wayne called the most unamerican film ever and was basically about facing down HUAC on your own while your friends bailed on you.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Someone post the webcomic about not being able to call them "pets" in the future.

Tim Kreider?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Zimmerman was framed. Trayvon was an inside job by George Bush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ijPww3FOg

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I'm sure this guy would defend OJ if it had happened to him instead.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

My problem is with people (regardless of age) who when witnessing obvious, blatant injustice refuse to acknowledge the basic humanity of the victims. People don't lose empathy with age - in fact I think we become more empathetic as we get older (unless the difficulties of life have basically destroyed your soul). I would guess that old racist people simply were never confronted first hand with the very real human consequences of racism. But when it finally does confront them, whether they choose to remain loyal to their hatred or allow some empathy into their heart says a lot about their true character.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

Tim Kreider?

Yes, thanks! I can never find this when I look.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

citybeatnik posted:

It also repudiates all of the western mythology in the movies before it, since all of the cowboys and gunslingers are psychologically damaged drunkards. It's a deconstruction of the very genre that made him famous which took balls.

Agreed. I generally hate westerns but absolutely loved Unforgiven specifically for that reason. It made killing seem hard and psychologically damaging to the people that actually do it and have to live with it. It was quite the takedown of the totemistic image of the macho all american cowboy gunslinger hero just murdering people.

Wow. Clint Eastwood derail. Didn't see that one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rick_Hunter posted:

Tim Kreider?

This is funny, but also confusing, because it implies that pet ownership is evil and equally as bad as slavery, which is preposterous.

I guess it could also be implying slavery was as harmless as pet ownership, but that would be even worse.