Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
sketchy as gently caress but $28

I'm sorta surprised these exist. I'll be even more surprised if they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KS posted:

sketchy as gently caress but $28

I'm sorta surprised these exist. I'll be even more surprised if they work.

Haha Aliexpress

"quality problems, the sound from the optical input is intermittently interrupted for 2-3 seconds, the subwoofer makes noise if you watch the movie in dts mode. I'm disappointed with the quality. very poorly decomposes the sound to 5.1 in acoustics. works only in 2.1 normally. periodically falls off the sound."

How is that a 5 star rating? D'oh.

I guess there is no such thing as a real decoder only.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I think Geffen makes one but they're megabucks.

Edit: was thinking of this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650899-REG/Gefen_GTV_AUDDEC_Gefen_Audio_Decoder.html

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 22, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Charles posted:

I guess there is no such thing as a real decoder only.

There definitely used to be expensive processors back years ago, for straight Dolby Digital and nothing else (DTS probably had one too, and maybe some boxes later on did both). Pro Logic amps would generally have 6ch discrete input and you could rig up one of these to go between your surround source and your receiver.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I've got some very old speakers (Technics SB-X3) that I really like and I have a problem connecting cables to them: I lost the white nut-like thingies that you can see in the picture (not mine) so there's just a metal screw thread.I have no idea what these things are called and I seriously doubt I can get replacement ones, given that the speakers where made in 1979.

What's the least stupid way to connect the cables now?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cebrail posted:

I've got some very old speakers (Technics SB-X3) that I really like and I have a problem connecting cables to them: I lost the white nut-like thingies that you can see in the picture (not mine) so there's just a metal screw thread.I have no idea what these things are called and I seriously doubt I can get replacement ones, given that the speakers where made in 1979.

Solder alligator clips to your speaker wire

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cebrail posted:

measure the screw thread/dia and get some nuts from the corner Ace and spin a couple as far down as you can then stack a 3rd over a pair of washers, wrap wire in between the washers?

would be my angle

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Carpet posted:

Just got a Sonos Play:1 and I've now discovered it only supports SMB v1, but as MS (and most everyone else) has disabled use of that there's no streaming from my PC's music folder. Google (and Sonos' support forums) says a RaspberryPi is the solution for a low-cost media server - has anyone else done this? Wouldn't mind finally getting one just to play about with as well, so willing to spend a bit of time setting it up.

Does your router have USB file sharing? If so, a flash/thumb drive can function as a library too.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I finally bought my own house a year ago, and would like to put a speaker system in the drop ceiling of my basement. The tiles are fairly thick and sturdy, so should be able to support speakers in them. I just want something that I can play music through so everyone downstairs can hear, without wires and speakers cluttering things up. I'm no audiophile, so I should be easy to please soundwise.

I have zero speaker experience outside of plugging logitech computer speakers directly into the back of my computer. I am however fairly knowledgeable of circuits and wiring, just not speaker wiring.

My basement is kind of donut shaped with the stairs in the center, with a larger area in the front, two hallway sized sides, and a smaller area in the back. I figured 4 speakers in the main front area, two on the narrower sides, and two more in the back area.

Would something like this be what I want? 8x 6.5" Pyle ceiling speakers, 200 max watt 2-way speakers: https://www.amazon.com/PDIC61RD-2-Way-Ceiling-Speaker-System/dp/B014V4CVA2
Also, my main confusion, what kind of amp would I need? I'd like something with an aux out so I can just plug a phone in easily, and a bluetooth connection would be a plus. I saw some amps that fit right into an outlet in a wall, which would be perfect because I have a few old telephone jack outlets I could make use of. Are there any that could be recommended?

Then I see that speakers can be wired in series, parallel, or series-parallel. I have no idea what would be appropriate.

So, what should I buy, and how should I wire them. Budget of about $400 I guess.

Thanks!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm going to get a new receiver in about a month and would like some advice. I currently have a Pioneer 1018 Here's my situation.

Components
LG OLED C7P
PS4 Pro
Switch
HTPC
2x Energy C-500s
4x Energy C-100s
1x Energy C-C100
1000W sub ~$400 (can't remember off top of head)

I'd like to get one that works with all of this. 4K, HDR, at least 7.1. Future proof for Atmos in case I want to move my 7.1 to some ceiling speakers. I'm probably going to incorporate some smart home stuff within the next couple of years. I can't really tell what more I might get going from a $400 to a $800 receiver and that's probably my budget. I know it's more power, but maybe my speakers wouldn't allow for any noticeable difference.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Ravendas posted:

Q's about basement audio setup.

Eight speakers like this is kind of an boondoggle of a home audio setup. Any home theater receiver you find would be set up for 7.1 discrete channels which would output in Left or Right configuration which would just sound bizarre spread out over a basement.

The easiest solution would be a commercial setup like a restaurant would use. Pyle makes an all in one kit that comes with a receiver and 8 speakers for ~$475. It's over your budget, but is easily the most turnkey solution you will find. You simply wire the speakers inline to the amp and you're good to go. Note that this amp doesn't have Bluetooth, but you can wire a stereo Y cable to hook up your phone to play music.

Pyle KTHSP85DV 4 Room Home In-Ceiling Speakers W/DVD/MP3 Amp System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030X0DEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_78KWAbV9P73FJ

I also like that this kit includes separate volume knobs which are super handy for the setup you're going for.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bigman.50grand posted:

Pyle KTHSP85DV 4 Room Home In-Ceiling Speakers W/DVD/MP3 Amp System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030X0DEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_78KWAbV9P73FJ

The one and same Pyle "1500 watts in the streets / 35 watts in the sheets" Pyle?

I've never even tried anything made by them due to the extreeeeeeeeeme overinflated specs

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I'm being asked to come up with a solution to livestream a monthly meeting to Facebook Live. The room we're in is kind of a classroom-type space but has no audio or video equipment, so I have to supply all the hardware.

A cheap Canon camcorder will do for video, but I'm not convinced that its internal microphone is going to be sufficient for audio (which is really the more important factor in this case). What sort of microphone would be suitable for capturing audio in an ill-suited, classroom/meeting room type setting?

The camera is going to be set up at one end of the room to be able to get the whole room in frame, and I'd like to minimize cable runs so the mic would have to be fairly close to the camera.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
You gotta really draw a diagram of how this space is going to be used / how the people are seated. There's just infinite possibilities for how to mic/shoot that right that all depend on the layout.

However you're correct in principle that you absolutely are going to regret trying to use a built in little mic on a camcorder vs. actually micing the space correctly.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Sniep posted:

You gotta really draw a diagram of how this space is going to be used / how the people are seated. There's just infinite possibilities for how to mic/shoot that right that all depend on the layout.

However you're correct in principle that you absolutely are going to regret trying to use a built in little mic on a camcorder vs. actually micing the space correctly.

Here's the basic layout. Rows of tables with people seated at them, me and the gear at the far end in the corner. Room is ~50 ft long and about half that wide, wood paneled and carpeted with a drop ceiling.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Can you move the tables so it's like a normal meeting room?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Can you move the tables so it's like a normal meeting room?

Probably, they're not anchored to anything. What are you thinking?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Boundary mic in the middle of the table like a regular VC setup

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this meeting everyone discussing something or is it mostly you talking?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Like so

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

agreed

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
OK, are the cheap USB/3.5mm mics they sell for videoconferencing technically boundary mics? Or should I be looking for something specific?

e: Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Conference-M...44P3K919BKR78D4

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 16, 2018

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Boundary mic just means it lays flat at the edge of the room or on a surface, like this one. It's built to a price, so it's performance might not be great, but it should work okay.

Try to keep it mechanically separated from the table, by placing it on a soft mat, and try to get the louder speakers to sit further away from it than the quieter ones, and you should get okay results.

I'd grab one and do some test recordings/skype calls with a laptop in the room.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Hell, if the laptop has a built in camera, you might be good to go.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Try to keep it mechanically separated from the table, by placing it on a soft mat,

This is an important point. I generally place them on a separate desk entirely so that nobody can bang the table. Also the first rule of mics is whenever you're recording, someone with a cough will sit right next to the mic.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also the first rule of mics is whenever you're recording, someone with a cough will sit right next to the mic.

This is certainly always true.

I've filmed many similar setups, using two cameras and four stick microphones (two to each camera) to get maximum coverage and reduce noise.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I would also put some pot plants in the background so it looks like they are growing out of people's heads, but that's just a personal preference.

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009
Hey friends, I am in need of some help. I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to audio stuff - I mainly use my PC for everything I do because my TV and soundbar sound really bad. I'm trying to give my TV another go, though. I'm reasonably sure my poor audio is as result of the quality of my soundbar (was gifted to me), but I wanted to run my settings by everyone just in case.

Issue: Dialogue is drowned out by background music, sounds. Audio is much worse running directly through the TV.

TV: Samsung UN50J5200AFXZA
Soundbar: Insignia SB316, no standalone subwoofer
Connection: Optical Line
Intended Use: Games

Audio Settings

Format: PCM
Dolby Digital Compression: RF

Soundbar DSP Options: Standard, Theater, News (Each one sounds relatively similar - News emphasizes dialogue better, but it seems to alter how the sound)

Do I have this set up incorrectly, or do I just have a trash soundbar?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

That issue is normally caused by playing a surround sound (5.1) signal through a stereo playback device. You say the intended use is games, and the connection is optical, but what devices are you trying to watch, and how are they connected to the TV and soundbar?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes that’s been my experience too - everyone who complains about audio balance in movies is dealing with a stereo downmix from multichannel. I only run 3.0 personally, but having the center channel separate is nice to give a little bit more control over the dialog and I rarely have to mess with the volume.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went from 3.1 to 2.1 and the thing with surround mixes nowadays is that 80%+ of all audio is coming from the center so explosions will just be too loud in the center instead of from the L/R. A few things that helped with dialog were getting proper stands so my L/R are the right height, bumping my treble slightly and I was getting reflections from my center off my coffee table which muffled things more. My stereo setup is actually better than my LCR was but everyone’s mileage varies.

The ideal center position is simply not achievable in most home environments that aren’t using an AT projection screen. A lot of people are pointing them in the wrong place or getting nasty reflections off their furniture.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

The stuff described above is definitely an issue, but I don't think it is the cause of the problem here.

The issue I am describing is when a multichannel source is fed into a preamp/processor that can handle multichannel, but it is not aware it only has L/R speakers, and doesn't down mix. The solution is to set the source to output in stereo instead of 5.1.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...and yet there's still a lot of movies out there with really bad audio mixes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd be honestly shocked if there was a single receiver from the last decade that couldn't manage downmixing properly. If it was set up with the center channel on but there wasn't a speaker you wouldn't get low voices you'd get basically nothing.

The default advice for people struggling with what is really a mastering problem is for them to get a center channel speaker [or a larger/better one] which has the potential to make the problem even worse. "Night theater" mode is the best thing we've got until AC4 takes off, [if ever,] it has a dedicated controls for dialog levels and dynamic range management. Center channels are great for getting more of the room in the "sweet spot" and getting higher overall output. It's also the trickiest to position properly and if the tweeter is 2 feet below ear level and pointed at the front of a coffee table it's not going to make dialog much clearer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Many reasons why I don't bother with a centre outside the fact the audio always sounds off unless your centre is as big as your L/R which is a rarity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was lucky in finding a center matched to my mains, and while the speakers aren’t as big they’re sizeable that dialog hasn’t been an issue despite the fact I don’t have perfect placement.

When I had an issue with my tv only kicking out 2.0 for a bit and I was trying to keep the volume down, it was night and day different.

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)
I am looking to buy new 2.1, 3.5mm jack wired speakers for my desktop pc, budget of about $150, does anyone know a review site for pc speakers that is not a shill or full of audiophile woo? I usually use which for stuff like that but they only review bluetooth speakers.

Failing that is
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-BlasterX-Kratos-Analogue-Speaker/dp/B01M3Z28AF
any good? I live in a small quiet flat, so I need clarity more than volume.

I am having trouble deciding as the specs seem ok, the reviews are ok but the name makes me think they are targeting it at 'gamers' so they can mark it up 50%.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, fuckin Gibson is filling for bankruptcy because nothing is sacred anymore, and apparently they have a stake in Onkyo? Who's also partially owned by Pioneer? That's so hosed to me, especially seeing I'm all smug over my new Onkyo I upgraded from a Pioneer receiver from

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gibson is bankrupt because they borrowed too much money to buy companies like Onkyo in the first place. Leveraged private equity acquisitions are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is this why the A-9010 has been out of stock everywhere for 5 months?