Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Real good look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mischief posted:

2008, 3.5 SE with the manual 6 speed. It's no super car but it's more than enough fun for me. Dealership had it listed strangely so we did really well on the price. It's fast enough to keep me happy and still just big enough to drag the kids along if I have to.

I haven't washed a car in over a decade, so the nice black paint has me scared. :ohdear: It's got two rock chips in the hood that are driving me nuts.

How does that thing handle with the V6 up front? The weight distribution makes it seem front heavy. I think the I4 is something like 61/39.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bovril Delight posted:

How does that thing handle with the V6 up front? The weight distribution makes it seem front heavy. I think the I4 is something like 61/39.

Edmunds measured the 3.5 at 62/38.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
A better shot of the new guy:

And both of my cars together:

Any advice for a few stone chips on the sides of the 3? Worth taking to a body shop? I'm going to keep it a few years.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BiRD BoY posted:

Any advice for a few stone chips on the sides of the 3? Worth taking to a body shop? I'm going to keep it a few years.

I've got stone chips on my 09 MS3 hood, and on the roof right near the windshield. I just bought a small vial of touch up paint from the local Mazda dealership, but I'm definitely no expert at applying it. I'm sure a body shop could do a pretty good job, but I have no idea how much they would charge.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

My daily is just a Jetta.

Here's the weekend ride - 1969 BMW 1600 Cabriolet with an s14 out of an e30 M3.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

littlewing posted:

I'm just going to sit here :allears: a little while if that's OK with you.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
So I have a new job, 8 miles from the house, 10 red lights, 3 stop signs, and I can't get my Jetta TDI out of 4th gear at any point in the drive.

gently caress that, time for something big and comfortable, screw gas mileage.

So... enter the Caddy

So boring, so comfortable.

Time to order the stuff to put the stupidest stereo in it I've ever built, because, gently caress it why not?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

I've had a lot of fun with it. My dad and I used to do seriously casual autocross in his 350Z from the same year and it feels surprisingly similar. I've been driving a tank of a 1998 Accord coupe for over a decade with a V6 so maybe I'm just used to the weight? I'm also not a race car driver, so it might actually handle like poo poo. :)

littlewing posted:

That's gorgeous. I've always liked the older BMW body styles.

mischief fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 18, 2012

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

littlewing posted:

Thats just an amazing little weekend ride, I am so jealous. Never sell it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Just picked up a 1996 900SE (2.0t) for $1500. Needs minor work. Phone doesn't like to take photos when it's getting rained on.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

littlewing posted:

Woah :eyepop:
Engine shots/more photos?

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
What better excuse to go for a quick rip around the back roads of south - western Ontario than a being stuck at a friends childs birthday.

The kids dad came with us too.

GTi_guy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 19, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Grimster posted:

So I have a new job, 8 miles from the house, 10 red lights, 3 stop signs, and I can't get my Jetta TDI out of 4th gear at any point in the drive.

gently caress that, time for something big and comfortable, screw gas mileage.

I get that the boring commute inspired you to buy something comfortable over sporty, but what required the extra size over the Jetta? New job require hauling gear?

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

mutt2jeff posted:

Thats just an amazing little weekend ride, I am so jealous.  Never sell it.

Thanks! I don't plan on selling it. It's been in my family since my Dad bought it in '72. Hopefully I can pass it on to my future kids.

ash with a five posted:

Woah :eyepop:
Engine shots/more photos?

I don't have good current engine shot on me, but it needs to be cleaned and the paint on the valve cover is coming off. I'll probably repaint the cover sometime this year. Here's an older shot from around 2001, just after the motor was swapped in. The insulation panels aren't on the hood anymore and it's got a strut bar now.

Here's a exterior shot from the same time as the one above:

Recent exterior shot with the top up:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

littlewing posted:

Thanks! I don't plan on selling it. It's been in my family since my Dad bought it in '72. Hopefully I can pass it on to my future kids.

I don't have good current engine shot on me, but it needs to be cleaned and the paint on the valve cover is coming off. I'll probably repaint the cover sometime this year. Here's an older shot from around 2001, just after the motor was swapped in. The insulation panels aren't on the hood anymore and it's got a strut bar now.

Here's a exterior shot from the same time as the one above:

Recent exterior shot with the top up:

Holy crap dude. loving awesome. How's it drive with that motor?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Holdbrooks posted:

I finally got the camera to work so here are some pics of the new look.

I have a matching lip and splitter, I just need to find some time to make them work. As for the wheels I know they suck for this car, but they were for my 89 supra and had new star specs on them when I sold and parted it out. I threw them on since the stock bbs had cording snow tires on them and my other 18's wouldn't clear the brembos.

This car looks great, I wouldn't worry about the wheels too much. Long as the brakes clear who cares, really?

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005

So I just moved to Michigan and my roommate and I thought it would be a good idea to pick up this $300 1984 RX-7. The clutch slave cylinder and the battery were toast. The guy offered to take those out of the price and we replaced them today. It drove the 60 miles back to our apartment without too much trouble. Just had to hold the choke open a lot and heel toe at stop lights. We're probably going to fix it up a little bit and look into rally crossing it. This is the worst best idea.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Solosilent posted:

So I just moved to Michigan and my roommate and I thought it would be a good idea to pick up this $300 1984 RX-7. The clutch slave cylinder and the battery were toast. The guy offered to take those out of the price and we replaced them today. It drove the 60 miles back to our apartment without too much trouble. Just had to hold the choke open a lot and heel toe at stop lights. We're probably going to fix it up a little bit and look into rally crossing it. This is the worst best idea.

'Sup fellow Michigoon. Buddy of mine had a white FC for awhile as well before our roads and salt finally put the nail in its coffin. :( How is the body on yours?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Solosilent posted:

We're probably going to fix it up a little bit and look into rally crossing it. This is the worst best idea.

Do it.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
click for big
Just bought this, and I already hate now long it takes to say the name
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY THREE THOUSAND MILES

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

intheflesh posted:

click for big
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v

It's awesome no matter how long the name. I need to find myself one of those. For some reason I have the urge to get an older Audi as a second car. If you don't mind, how much was it?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

intheflesh posted:

click for big
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v

That sign is incorrect, you are doing things the right way.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

DropShadow posted:

, how much was it?
Three Grand, which seems a bit high for something that is 22 years old and has so many drat miles, but the previous owner did most of the mods I would have done already, and the thing is in immaculate condition. Wheels are allegedly of some old Porsche (924 maybe? Has Porsche centercaps which look legit but no markings on the outside), but I haven't taken them off to validate yet. Also came with a set of Audi 4k wheels with some brand new studded snows, so that's a bonus right there.

Only problem I have to deal with is some strange squeaking sound while driving. Doesn't sound like wheel bearings, rhythmic squeaking sound that does not change with speed or engine RPM or what gear I'm in, and only happens from 25ish to 50ish. what the hell

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

intheflesh posted:

click for big
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v

I bet the bomb is not working.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I bet the bomb is not working.

What do you mean? I know not what the bomb is

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

2005 Subaru Liberty (aka Legacy) 3.0 Spec B with 6-speed STI 'box.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

BiRD BoY posted:

I've always wondered- do they make an aftermarket piece for the front plastic bit that's not plastic? I love the look of those cars (I drive a subaru; I have weird automotive aesthetic taste) but if I had one, I would want to replace that with something maybe body colored? I dunno. That's just always the first thought that pops into my head when I see one.

"steady posted:

2005 Subaru Liberty (aka Legacy) 3.0 Spec B with 6-speed STI 'box.
Good lord, that's beautiful. Absolutely the best looking car subaru ever made. You should post some more about it in the subaru thread so I can live vicariously through your fast legacy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Jabberwocky posted:

I've always wondered- do they make an aftermarket piece for the front plastic bit that's not plastic? I love the look of those cars (I drive a subaru; I have weird automotive aesthetic taste) but if I had one, I would want to replace that with something maybe body colored? I dunno. That's just always the first thought that pops into my head when I see one.

You can get it sprayed, would probably be the best bet. Aftermarket bumper covers never fit right.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can get it sprayed, would probably be the best bet. Aftermarket bumper covers never fit right.
That's fair. I just feel like that plastic frontend stuff you see on mazdas and the new focus and festiva (amongst others) look kind of distractingly cheap on what are otherwise very attractive cars.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

A month since my last post and here is the glacial progress

At this point there can be no further cause for delay, so I hope to have it back next week.

I got a final bill of sale out of him a while ago so he can't jack up the price on me. I think it had the effect of causing him to backburner the work even more since he is not making much.

Headliner install, 4 wheels restored, all body work and paint with clearcoat and decals applied, $2940.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005

movax posted:

'Sup fellow Michigoon. Buddy of mine had a white FC for awhile as well before our roads and salt finally put the nail in its coffin. :( How is the body on yours?

The body isn't too bad. The inside of the fender wells are starting to rust, the bottoms of the doors are starting to rust, and the rear axle is pretty rough. But other than that it seems pretty solid. It's an open diff, so we're prolly gonna replace that rear axle. I think a miata rear end would swap, and maybe look if the miata wheel hubs and brakes could be swapped on. 4x110 is a pretty useless bolt pattern and so are rear drums.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's like the opposite of a car mullet -- Sports in front, kids in the rear (and I wish I could get one in the US).

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

meatpimp posted:

It's like the opposite of a car mullet -- Sports in front, kids in the rear (and I wish I could get one in the US).

It didn't always look so sporty - it had a different front bar and headlights that didn't support a front-mounted intercooler. That and it didn't survive a trip into a ditch at speed.

Here's what it looked like sitting in the car yard in Osaka where it was built and lived until I bought it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

intheflesh posted:

What do you mean? I know not what the bomb is

The likelihood of you learning very soon is high with that many miles on it

http://20v.org/brakprob.htm

You'll also need to rob a leprechaun to fill your bomb with green gold.

I had a '91 100 Quattro whose bomb died at 100000 miles, replaced the bomb and it blew out the steering rack seals shortly thereafter. I could go on and on...Audis of that era are a blast to drive but I didn't have much luck in keeping mine running. Or housetraining it. Fortunately an errant driver totaled it for me and I ended up making money.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

Oh god, it's been years since I looked at a page like that. So specific and detailed for the most minute things... and that's what those cars need. Continual maintenance just to keep them functioning properly. Late '80s / early '90s Audis were badass in their day, but looking back? Sometimes-rolling nightmares. (As compared to the 4000 I had before that (solid, reliable and bulletproof), and the allroad I had after (multiple swords of Damocles hanging overhead -- suspension, turbos, big $$$ stuff).

Late model Audis just feel like VWs. Or maybe the other way around. Anyway, nice 90, I hope it keeps running for you.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 23, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

I had a '91 100 Quattro whose bomb died at 100000 miles, replaced the bomb and it blew out the steering rack seals shortly thereafter. I could go on and on...Audis of that era are a blast to drive but I didn't have much luck in keeping mine running. Or housetraining it. Fortunately an errant driver totaled it for me and I ended up making money.

Is there just an electric hydro pump and no vacuum boost on those vehicles? If so, that sounds remarkably similar to the terrible Bendix ABS setup used on Jeep XJs from the early 80s through '91, at which point they switched to a sane setup that actually has fully mechanical brakes plus ABS and won't turn into a 3300lb, 50mph game of russian roulette if the hydro pump fails.

The 80s and very early 90s: a bad time to be an ABS-equipped passenger vehicle, apparently.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Drove the Volvo into work today, and parked it next to a friend's Mini.

I am easily amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
God that thing rules.