Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mehXzl7yHA

I don't have a dutch oven, but would a cast iron pan lined with baking paper serve a substitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Xander77 posted:

I don't have a dutch oven, but would a cast iron pan lined with baking paper serve a substitute?

The big reason to use a dutch oven is that it traps the steam that helps form a good crust. If it's just uncovered in a cast iron pan, you might not get the same results.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you don't have a dutch oven, you can leave the cast iron pan on the bottom oven rack while you preheat it. Boil some water, then right after you put the loaf in (on the rack above it), fill the pan with the boiling water and shut the oven door.

You won't be trapping the steam from the dough but you will still be filling your oven with steam which will have a kinda similar effect on the crust.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Got a big oven-safe pot? Just place that over the dough on your cast iron pan. Should work pretty nicely if it seals ok.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

plester1 posted:

The big reason to use a dutch oven is that it traps the steam that helps form a good crust. If it's just uncovered in a cast iron pan, you might not get the same results.
I do have what seems like a reasonably oven-safe pan cover. It should fit the pan rather well.

Edit - do I have to do all the mixing in the video by hand, or could I just throw it all into the bread machine and hit the "dough" setting?

Editx2 - Followed the recipe (though the poolish was on the counter for about 36 hours), dropped it into a dough mixer. Took it out - the mixture is a sticky puddle that shows no signs of turning into a dough no matter how much I slap it around. Anything I can do? Add flour or something?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 14, 2022

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if you're following the recipe in that youtube video it looks really high-hydration, which he compensates for by barely handling the dough at all. it really benefits from having time to form gluten on its own with just a bit of guidance, which is what the stretching and folding is about

it'll come together! you just need patience

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

if you're following the recipe in that youtube video it looks really high-hydration, which he compensates for by barely handling the dough at all. it really benefits from having time to form gluten on its own with just a bit of guidance, which is what the stretching and folding is about
So throwing it into the breadmaking machine to mix might have been the wrong move.

Man, there's just no use for that piece of crap.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

So throwing it into the breadmaking machine to mix might have been the wrong move.

Man, there's just no use for that piece of crap.

The best thing a bread machine did for me was getting into baking bread without a bread machine.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

They say the two happiest days in a baker's life are the day they buy a bread machine, and the day they get rid of it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

They say the two happiest days in a baker's life are the day they buy a bread machine, and the day they get rid of it.

I don’t know if that a real expression but I should be.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I made my first bread! I decided to make just like a basic bread with some chopped rosemary in it, inspired by the memory of going to a SCA event two decades ago. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! We have a dutch oven, so I let it bake for 30 minutes covered and then 20 uncovered at 400 F. I let it proof a biiiiit too long after the shape (was aiming for two hours, ended up more like 3.5 due to misadventures) so the crust was a bit crunchier than anticipated, but I scored a bit extra to try to make up for it.

Would definitely bake bread again, it was a lot of fun and not really too time-consuming.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xander77 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mehXzl7yHA

I've used glass Pyrex casserole dishes with covers, and it worked just fine. You can find those cheaply in thrift stores.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Prop Wash posted:

I made my first bread! I decided to make just like a basic bread with some chopped rosemary in it, inspired by the memory of going to a SCA event two decades ago. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! We have a dutch oven, so I let it bake for 30 minutes covered and then 20 uncovered at 400 F. I let it proof a biiiiit too long after the shape (was aiming for two hours, ended up more like 3.5 due to misadventures) so the crust was a bit crunchier than anticipated, but I scored a bit extra to try to make up for it.

Would definitely bake bread again, it was a lot of fun and not really too time-consuming.

As a first bread that’s really good! Would eat. Especially with rosemary. I love rosemary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA95tUK2RZU

Can I at least use the dough function in a bread machine for this (Ciabatta mixing), or does it have to be a stand mixer?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Xander77 posted:

Can I at least use the dough function in a bread machine for this (Ciabatta mixing), or does it have to be a stand mixer?

bread machine works fine

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Same Ciabatta recipe:

Biga. Mixing everything resulted in very dry clumps, so I sprinkled a bit of water in, which probably caused more hydration than needed.

Initial dough mix pre biga and water (using white bread flour)

After about 15 minutes of mixing in the bread machine (doesn't have slow \ fast settings) this watery mess has no intentions of forming into any sort of dough.

Ah... more flour? More mixing? Give it time to rest? Throw it out along with the machine and forget I ever thought about baking?

Edit:

A full dough cycle later (hour and thirty minutes, though not continously), still a porridge.

Let is rest in a covered bowl for an hour, tossed it around in a desultory fashion - still nothing resembling a dough.

Threw in a bunch of flour until it could be kneaded.

Hella chewey. Tough exterior.

Any ciabatta recipes you'd recommend instead? Maybe bread machine specific.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 21, 2022

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
made furikake milk bread rolls, could've used more furikake/flakey salt on top tbh

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Xander77 posted:

Same Ciabatta recipe:

After about 15 minutes of mixing in the bread machine (doesn't have slow \ fast settings) this watery mess has no intentions of forming into any sort of dough.

With those floppy doughs, it's very very weird, but after mixing it all together you just need to do about 4 stretch and folds (one for each side), wait 10 minutes, do it again, and maybe do it one more time within the first hour, and magically they start getting some kind of structure. The amount you knead it when mixing it in the first place, doesn't seem to have the same effect at all. It's the folds that allow those doughs to form properly.

I did a poolish the other day and forgot to fold it, and 2 hours in it was still a gooey liquid mess. I managed to save it by just folding it late into the first rise and letting it rise a little longer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

redreader posted:

With those floppy doughs, it's very very weird, but after mixing it all together you just need to do about 4 stretch and folds (one for each side), wait 10 minutes, do it again, and maybe do it one more time within the first hour, and magically they start getting some kind of structure. The amount you knead it when mixing it in the first place, doesn't seem to have the same effect at all. It's the folds that allow those doughs to form properly.

I did a poolish the other day and forgot to fold it, and 2 hours in it was still a gooey liquid mess. I managed to save it by just folding it late into the first rise and letting it rise a little longer.
I mean... it's a porridge. I tossed it around a fair bit after letting it rest (and again after letting it rest some more) including picking bits of liquid up and letting them trickle down, but it didn't have any sort of structure that could be folded.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Xander77 posted:

I do have what seems like a reasonably oven-safe pan cover. It should fit the pan rather well.

The dutch oven is just traps the steam of the bread, which gives you a crisper crust. You can get the same effect by steaming up your oven. Try leaving a cup of hot water at the bottom of the oven in a cast iron pan or something oven safe. It should provide plenty of steam and hopefully waft over the bread.

That Dutch oven trick is pretty clever. Kind of funny to put an oven in your oven.

God drat why am I reading all these GWP threads when I'm on a diet. I want these breads so loving much. I hid all my baking stuff just to stop myself.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The dutch oven is just traps the steam of the bread, which gives you a crisper crust. You can get the same effect by steaming up your oven. Try leaving a cup of hot water at the bottom of the oven in a cast iron pan or something oven safe. It should provide plenty of steam and hopefully waft over the bread.

That Dutch oven trick is pretty clever. Kind of funny to put an oven in your oven.

God drat why am I reading all these GWP threads when I'm on a diet. I want these breads so loving much. I hid all my baking stuff just to stop myself.

Tell me about it. I've been craving a good focaccia bread for weeks now, but I'm also dieting, and so i can't make a whole batch of it because I'd definitely eat it all by myself, in like a day.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Screw diets, exercise more, eat all the bread you want.

Tonight I am making pizza.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Making a FWSY pan de campaigne and think I misread the directions and shorted the dough 100g of flour.

Very sticky and wet. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Depends on how sticky, but i'd throw flour at it til it's workable.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Keetron posted:

Screw diets, exercise more, eat all the bread you want.

:hmmyes:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Depends on how sticky, but i'd throw flour at it til it's workable.

It kind of went wide rather than up. Looks and smells fine though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hi Thread!

Since mid may i've been trying out baking, starting with this recipie from Adam Ragusea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2-6Ps2Hcc

I baked the first 3 basically back to back over my birthday weekend then came back and tried a fourth, still dialing in the timing with my kitchen (which is a little too cool being stuck in england), But i'm proud of the results so far!

Probably going to move onto some big loaves next! Any reccomendations for good people to follow would be appreciated.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

so i've been wondering about something. is there any big difference between baking with a poolish and baking with dough that cold-proofed in the fridge overnight? feels like they're basically the same process

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Similar to that question, someone mentioned the Pain de Campagne recipe from flour water, salt yeast, above. I noticed it uses a levain or some other sort of starter. Is there a method for converting a recipe which uses sourdough or a preferment to one that purely uses yeast?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

null_pointer posted:

Similar to that question, someone mentioned the Pain de Campagne recipe from flour water, salt yeast, above. I noticed it uses a levain or some other sort of starter. Is there a method for converting a recipe which uses sourdough or a preferment to one that purely uses yeast?

At a guess just take the four and water for the starter and throw in a packet of yeast and do everything else the same.

Probably won’t go too far wrong though you may have to adjust times to what your dough is doing.

Lots of no knead overnight recipes just use a packet of yeast.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Murgos posted:

At a guess just take the four and water for the starter and throw in a packet of yeast and do everything else the same.

Probably won’t go too far wrong though you may have to adjust times to what your dough is doing.

Lots of no knead overnight recipes just use a packet of yeast.

2gr of yeast per 500gr of flour for an overnight rise. A slow fridge ferment might take more yeast.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I almost expect to be banned for posting this here, but...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

I almost expect to be banned for posting this here, but...

MODS??!?!???

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can throw all kinds of flavouring in bread. The last loaf i made used coffee instead of water. But I'm not going to try that, in all fairness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

therattle posted:

MODS??!?!???

It's just water sugar and salt, dude. Same stuff that already goes in bread. Add some lemon zest and boom: gatorade bread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

It's just water sugar and salt, dude. Same stuff that already goes in bread. Add some lemon zest and boom: gatorade bread.

You monster.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Monster Energy Drink Bread

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've heard of soda bread, but this is ridiculous!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've heard of soda bread, but this is ridiculous!

drat, that’s a much better response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Marmite bread