Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Just be "evil" don't be a murderous warmonger out to kill everyone, you can still act like a jerk and kill people in dialogue for all the wrong reasons, and if it really bothers you that your companions leave when your rep is out of whack then install the mod to stop them from leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah might just do a semi evil run where i stay above the line and use a save editor if i get to low/high. Its still annoying though i wanna be a chaotic evil blackguard.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dont really know what the deal is with spoilers but I'll spoiler this anyway.

Basically the people in BG1 that are worth killing (particularly if you want to do an evil playthrough) are as follows:

Firebead Elvenhair, Unshey at the Friendly Arm Inn, Algernon in Feldepost's Inn in Beregost, Drizzt, Elminster and Shandalar.

• Firebead you can try to kill right at the start of the game, he's only worth XP but if you succeed in Candlekeep it gets you to like level 2 or 3 before you even leave and he still shows up at his house in Beregost anyway (unless they fixed this in EE, idk). Otherwise kill him in Beregost for a decent chunk of easy XP.
  • Unshey you should complete the quests for then murder him/her (idk) to get the belt back. You can try pickpocketing but it's unlikely to succeed this early in the game, so murder is more likely.
  • Algernon you can pick-pocket to get one of the more useful cloaks in the game for no rep loss, but its easier to just kill him.
  • Drizzt is probably the most worth-while kill in this list because he has the only +3 weapons in BG1 as well as some really good chainmail armour, although its not possible to kill him without a bit of cheese (you can kite him around with one character while shooting him with your others, it takes about 10 minutes but he will die).
  • Elminster you have a chance at killing every time he shows up, and he gives you some crazy amount of XP for BG1 (like 25000 from memory).
  • Shandalar is worth killing for a decent amount of XP and because he's wearing a valuable robe.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 12, 2015

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

How would one kill firebeard? last time i tried the guards intervened.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Arghy posted:

Traps are the easiest way

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Arghy posted:

Yeah might just do a semi evil run where i stay above the line and use a save editor if i get to low/high. Its still annoying though i wanna be a chaotic evil blackguard.

You can still be a chaotic evil blackguard. The game is just designed to discourage you from being a crazed spree-killer out to kill everyone on the face of the planet. That's less chaotic evil than murderously insane, anyway. It IS possible to play chaotic evil without murdering every intelligent being you come across.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Taliesyn posted:

You can still be a chaotic evil blackguard. The game is just designed to discourage you from being a crazed spree-killer out to kill everyone on the face of the planet. That's less chaotic evil than murderously insane, anyway. It IS possible to play chaotic evil without murdering every intelligent being you come across.

This. To be chaotic evil you just have to:

a) not be bound by any lawful code
b) not be bound by doing good.

Much leeway for your immersion.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arghy posted:

I've never had that happen. In EE?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Korgan Bloodaxe is chaotic evil and he can function in society pretty well.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

fong posted:

I've never had that happen. In EE?

Yeah i mistakenly attacked him on my first run through and some guards showed up as he blasted me--didn't bother trying again. Next run through gonna try to kill him but 49 hps is pretty goddamn big. Just gotta decide on a char now and its so drat annoying because i need a tank with a shield but i can't think of an evil one.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Wait, you can kill Elminster and Shandalar? How?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ilyich posted:

Wait, you can kill Elminster and Shandalar? How?

Very carefully.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shandalar is immune to practically everything except nonelemental magic damage, so hire every wizard you can find and mass-attack him with magic missiles. If you have enough castings he'll go down. He's considered innocent though, so be ready for the reputation hit.

Elminster you have to screw around with his pathfinding to kill. The easiest time to kill him is after you clear the Nashkel mines, when he talks to you in Beregost, near the smithy. Enter the map from the north, have a cleric summon some skeletons (they last a long time), and if you manage your pathfinding just right, you can use the skeletons to trap him against the wall of the smithy as he tries to path around it to talk to your protagonist. Then you can sloooowly beat him down with missile weapons. His AC is enormous so you'll only hit on a crit, but he won't go hostile as long as he keeps trying to pathfind to your protagonist, so you'll have all the time in the world. Bring lots of ammo.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Did backstab get messed with between 1 and 2? My thief was dealing a good 60-80 damage consistently in 1:EE but now in 2:EE he's getting like 30 damage, which blows.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
EE changed it so that if you attack Firebeard in Candlekeep all the guards aggro on you. If you do it in his house in Beregost though he's fair game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Parts Kit posted:

Did backstab get messed with between 1 and 2? My thief was dealing a good 60-80 damage consistently in 1:EE but now in 2:EE he's getting like 30 damage, which blows.

What's your backstab multiplier, weapon, and strength?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
STR:19
Multiplier: 4x
Weapon: Either Burning Earth (Longsword +1, +extra for random stuff) or Celestial Fury
Proficiencies: 4 for longsword, 2 for katana
Inventory screen says I should be doing 13-22 in damage after all bonuses are worked in for Celestial Fury, but a test backstab on Yoshimo just gave me 35 damage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah, uh, you should really be doing more damage than that! Maybe someone else can weigh in, I've not played EE2, and maybe some chucklehead did mess with the formula. That sucks, because 30 damage in BG2 is just a vanilla attack for most beefy fighter types.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I should be doing 52-88, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maybe the bonuses (+weapon damage at least) is applied after the multiplier, and you rolled a 1 on the katana's d10?

Do a few more tests and see what the damage range seems to be, so you can reverse engineer it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

STR:19
Multiplier: 4x
Weapon: Either Burning Earth (Longsword +1, +extra for random stuff) or Celestial Fury
Proficiencies: 4 for longsword, 2 for katana
Inventory screen says I should be doing 13-22 in damage after all bonuses are worked in for Celestial Fury, but a test backstab on Yoshimo just gave me 35 damage.

Strength bonus is added after the multiplier.

So you rolled a 2 with Celestial Fury, yielding: ((2) Base Roll + (3) Celestial Fury bonus + (2) Specialization) x 4 = 28 + 7 (Str) = 35.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arghy posted:

Yeah i mistakenly attacked him on my first run through and some guards showed up as he blasted me--didn't bother trying again. Next run through gonna try to kill him but 49 hps is pretty goddamn big. Just gotta decide on a char now and its so drat annoying because i need a tank with a shield but i can't think of an evil one.

Blackguard

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So did the EE fix werewolves to be as badass as they were supposed to be?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

amanasleep posted:

Strength bonus is added after the multiplier.

So you rolled a 2 with Celestial Fury, yielding: ((2) Base Roll + (3) Celestial Fury bonus + (2) Specialization) x 4 = 28 + 7 (Str) = 35.
Well that explains it. Guess I'm just on the bad side of the RNG currently.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What stats does a blackguard need? also if i edit a char to give it lock picking they can't open locks unless they have the thief ability yeah? If i gave a mage the unlock spell would he be able to cast it at lvl1? or would i need to make him a wild mage and use the wild spell?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Arghy posted:

What stats does a blackguard need? also if i edit a char to give it lock picking they can't open locks unless they have the thief ability yeah? If i gave a mage the unlock spell would he be able to cast it at lvl1? or would i need to make him a wild mage and use the wild spell?

Are you not planning on taking any of of the thieves available in Baldur's Gate for some reason? Safana is neutral, and Montaron and Tiax are both evil.

The 'unlock spell' is Knock, and it's a second level spell. I believe there is a copy of it near the gnoll fortress. If not, then the only copy is sold inside Baldur's Gate proper.

Edit: Blackguards are fighter-types, so strength, con, and dex. They also have a charisma minimum. While they do cast some priest spells, I don't think there's a wis minimum - if there is, it's probably 9.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 13, 2015

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah but all the chests in candlekeep you can easily get a couple hundred exp and 1000+ gold its so annoying leaving that all behind.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

It's chump change. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget you can force some of them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Taliesyn posted:

It's chump change. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget you can force some of them.

What? how?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

You click on the attack button, then on the container you're attempting to force. Unless you're using a fighter with strength in the mid to high 18/xx's, you will almost certainly fail. Even at 18/00, I think you fail more than you succeed.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Arghy posted:

Yeah but all the chests in candlekeep you can easily get a couple hundred exp and 1000+ gold its so annoying leaving that all behind.

Yeah, I just don't even do any of the quests in candlekeep anymore, I just leave. All the free poo poo in the hidden spots all over the place make the game cake anyway. Like there is that diamond in the first map in the tree trunk etc.

Arghy posted:

Weapons you spec in are the only really big decision really, if you plan on going all the way to ToB then halberds are good, otherwise dual wield and pick 2 different weapons you really like. Since your evil longswords would be a good idea tho.

Edit: nevermind horcs cant be blackguards.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 14, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Candlekeep quests get you gently caress all XP or money, the only one I bother with is the Firebeard one for the identity scroll

Like the same amount of time spent killing respawnable gibberlings in the first two maps outside Candlekeep would get you twice the gold and XP.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

fong posted:

The Candlekeep quests get you gently caress all XP or money, the only one I bother with is the Firebeard one for the identity scroll

Like the same amount of time spent killing respawnable gibberlings in the first two maps outside Candlekeep would get you twice the gold and XP.

If you pass the CHA test with the nobles they give you 1200 gold worth of gems if you have over 60 lock picking--i was able to buy all the magical goodies and plate mail really fast because of that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arghy posted:

If you pass the CHA test with the nobles they give you 1200 gold worth of gems if you have over 60 lock picking--i was able to buy all the magical goodies and plate mail really fast because of that.

Wait what? I don't think I've ever seen this quest

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fong posted:

Wait what? I don't think I've ever seen this quest

I think he means if you pass the CHA check with the nobles, they won't aggro if you lockpick their locked chests and steal their belongings maybe? I wouldn't really know, I'm not even sure how you'd get 60 lock picking by that point in the game, I always just assumed it was stuff you'd get much later on in the game when you return to Candlekeep.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

That diamond in the chest, if you do the 3rd response, 'you have so much wealth on you' they put 2 more gems into that chest. You need atleast 12 CHA and 50+ lock picking to reliably pick the lock.

I've also found a way to get caught stealing and still get away if you can hide in shadows. Pick the lock then take the items and hide so you don't have LoS to the door then use hide in shadows and just walk past the guards. I don't know if the guards will simply stay there forever or despawn so either test it or don't plan on going back there again. You can also just go upstairs instead of hiding if its a 2 story but you still need to stealth past the guards that spawn.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Arghy posted:

It's still not a big deal, I've only ever had one character that bothered with it, my f/m/t solo run, otherwise I never take thief skills or anything, like I said you get way more out of all the various hidden items laying around anyway.

I'm not saying it's not a great reward and a big boost early on, because it is, but there is no real reason to go out of your way to make a character with thief skills for every run just because of it.

Edit: If you want to make a fantastic character for an evil run and really want thief skills, than a Half-Orc fighter thief is great. But Blackguard will be more thematically appropriate.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 14, 2015

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/ArcaneSpells.htm and http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/DivineSpells.htm solid tips when it comes to learning what spells are good/suck or is it bad advice?

Selane
May 19, 2006

It's an ok list, but keep in mind that you should base your assessment of spells on how you're playing the game(full party, small party, solo, etc). Also whether you want a spellcaster to be doing offensive stuff or playing more of a support role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy crap i now keep the wiki open so i can look at the map for every zone thats an insane amount of loot in the first 3 zones also 18 CHA is crazy haha, why yes i'll take magical items for my reward! I love how each side of the map reveals different zones so i never saw a ton of them. I remember saying to myself, it would be retarded to limit your exploration by clicking on different sides of the map!

Where can i get an evil healer? i know theres that drow cleric but thats a pretty high level area.

*Does sanctuary still act like invis for stealing in EE? i have a cleric/thief game i wanted to play and it would be so much easier just casting sanct and walking past the spawned guards.

Arghy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 14, 2015