Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get Kudzu, the Aquaculture mod, and have someone here add killer carp to the wildlife tables and you got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Slime posted:

Yeah the romance stuff is downright annoying. Normal people don't hit on the same person repeatedly only to get rejected again and again and then go outside and strip because of how sad they are. Not everyone in the world is a weirdo goon.

Isn't the developer a gamergate retard? Sounds like he is describing his experience with stupid sluts only interested in alpha Chads (he's a weirdo goon)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Famethrowa posted:

Isn't the developer a gamergate retard? Sounds like he is describing his experience with stupid sluts only interested in alpha Chads (he's a weirdo goon)

you have activated the trap card

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

Please don't ruin this game for me, I don't need to start second guessing the real meaning behind heavy mood penalties from being turned down.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's probably just an unintended side effect of moodlets stacking, don't read so much into people's politics lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shirec posted:

I had this dude on a constant regimen of beer and smokeleaf just to keep him from food binging and wandering. He literally couldn't be around a female pawn and not hit on her, so he had three constant stacked debuffs at least. So I had him surrounded by luxury, a drugged rib, eating lavish meals, and a joy filled schedule, and he still had breakdowns from being a weirdo as soon as any sort of event happened. The idea of having two of those was so unfun to contemplate, so I fixed the problem.

Sounds like some people just can't handle living out there. Maybe you should "let" him leave with the next slave trader.

Babe Magnet posted:

it's probably just an unintended side effect of moodlets stacking, don't read so much into people's politics lol

Yeah, as annoying as this is, I cannot imagine that it's a statement as much as it is an annoyingly unbalanced game system that needs another pass (no pun intended). You'd see traits like "alpha male" or something if it were really supposed to be LadderTheoryRomanceImpl.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

Don't talk about Gamergate.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Had an event where a whole bunch of tame Yorkshire terriers turned up and started living in my colony. Which sucked because they were really annoying and kept eating my food too, so I slaughtered them all then made cowboy hats with their skin. That's my Rimworld story.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this except i called an exotic goods trader and just sold them all

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As cool and out of character it is for Tynan to give us a drug to block malaria, is there any way to prevent the flu or the plague? It feels weird to only be able to block one of them when functionally they seem pretty much the same.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You mean expanding the medicine system to include vaccinations?
Flu shot, plague vaccine?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
My Night Artist had the Highly Neurotic trait, which meant that she was starting to teeter on the edge of minor breaks at all time. I know, I'll install a joy wire! So, I schedule the surgery, but my surgeon headed off to bed. I force her to do the surgery, but she botches it, killing the patient.

By looking for the brain in the left leg, where the bionic limb was.

:downsgun:

So long, Muse.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
There are three options for safe prosthetics surgery: bionics, glitterworld medicine, and drugs. Level 10 medicine, no reduced pawn capacities, a clean room (or just outside), and wakeup has a surgery success chance over 100% - better than Level 20 medicine unenhanced. So... never operate sober.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zhentar posted:

So... never operate sober.

Really, words to live by regardless of context.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean, I guess it just seems moderately silly to living human beings that humanlike characters would become so distraught over repeated rejections that they just wander aimlessly out into the snow, shedding all of their clothing.

Or maybe it seems moderately silly that someone would hit on someone who obviously isn't interested four times in four hours, but since this describes a pretty mild weird-customer interaction from my retail days it seems less likely, a contributing factor at best.

The social interactions are for the most part ignorable, other than the occasional big stack of Goon Romance debuffs, contained in their own tab in the character window, so it's pretty reasonable that people would be aggravated when our only real interaction with it is fighting the one really irritating edge case?

Excellent red text-avatar-post combo!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Famethrowa posted:

he is but the emotion/relationship system just has some weird bugs and outcomes, this isn't deliberate

same as the weird sex slave background, someone paid for that to be in the game because one of the kickstarter bonuses was to make up a background and there wasn't a "no creepy poo poo" clause

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tias posted:

Excellent red text-avatar-post combo!

Yeah it turns out mentioning that one has a lifelong history of third party or write-in votes, but is still grudgingly voting for Clinton, gets people extremely angry right now. This loving election can't be over fast enough, people can go back to thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm not very good at expressing disorganized thought patterns instead of due to knee-jerk tribalism.

e:

Raerlynn posted:

Nice meltdown.

:same:

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 17, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah it turns out mentioning that one has a lifelong history of third party or write-in votes, but is still grudgingly voting for Clinton, gets people extremely angry right now. This loving election can't be over fast enough, people can go back to thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm not very good at expressing disorganized thought patterns instead of due to knee-jerk tribalism.

USPOL Oct: This loving election can't be over fast enough

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

LonsomeSon posted:

Nice meltdown.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm thinking about trying this out, but pretty hesitant on early access. I guess it's pretty fleshed out for an early access game though from what I've read?

Also, has the dev said anything about maybe multiple Z levels one day? I love me that third dimension.

Finally, is lovely politics chat normal for this thread or did I just start reading at a bad time?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm thinking about trying this out, but pretty hesitant on early access. I guess it's pretty fleshed out for an early access game though from what I've read?

Also, has the dev said anything about maybe multiple Z levels one day? I love me that third dimension.

Finally, is lovely politics chat normal for this thread or did I just start reading at a bad time?

as it stands, it's leagues ahead of most released games in its genre. you will not regret the purchase.

the dev has reacted negatively to z level hopes, but i don't think he's explicitly ruled them out. mark it as unlikely, though.

the thread periodically erupts in paroxysms of liberal rage over perceived wrongthink.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Politics no, that's just bad timing, but people get irrationally angry at the idea that some kickstarter backer added a sex slave background to the game and that occasionally results in

Nut to Butt posted:

the thread periodically erupts in paroxysms of liberal rage over perceived wrongthink.

But don't let that dissuade you, the game is awesome and you should play it. As for Z-levels I think Tynan said that it probably wasn't going to happen due to limitations in the game engine at one point, I can see if I can dig up the old reddit thread about it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So redist heat is broken right when I started to mess around with the ductwork part. Hopefully it starts working again soon, but who knows.
Also thank you to whoever recommended Kudzu/whatever it's name is now! It makes the world feel way better!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'll just post more trap card gifs the more people talk about stupid political bullshit so you can see it as a silver lining i guess

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Shirec posted:

So redist heat is broken right when I started to mess around with the ductwork part. Hopefully it starts working again soon, but who knows.
Also thank you to whoever recommended Kudzu/whatever it's name is now! It makes the world feel way better!

You're welcome! How's redist heat broken, though? I haven't noticed anything wrong yet, but I'm playing on a desert map with not a lot of significant temperature variation, so I may have not noticed whatever the issue.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Shirec posted:

Is this the mod that adds more trees?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Katsuma posted:

You're welcome! How's redist heat broken, though? I haven't noticed anything wrong yet, but I'm playing on a desert map with not a lot of significant temperature variation, so I may have not noticed whatever the issue.

There's a bit more detail in the steam workshop comments, but the pipes seem to not be able to carry any cool temperatures, and the smart ducts are messing with everything. I had a cooler room pumped to -2 F and it couldn't cool one freezer room.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Shirec posted:

There's a bit more detail in the steam workshop comments, but the pipes seem to not be able to carry any cool temperatures, and the smart ducts are messing with everything. I had a cooler room pumped to -2 F and it couldn't cool one freezer room.

I keep my cold stuff at -20, gives me more wiggle room during solar flares.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shirec posted:

I've literally never had redist heat cool anything without using duct coolers to cool the network. Using intakes from a cold room never worked (using intakes for heat did)

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Azhais posted:

I've literally never had redist heat cool anything without using duct coolers to cool the network. Using intakes from a cold room never worked (using intakes for heat did)

How are the duct coolers? I've never tried them. I've always used intakes from my freezer to pipe cold air over to my medical storage.

beerinator posted:

Is this the mod that adds more trees?

Yah. Only changes jungle, temperate forest, and boreal forest biomes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Katsuma posted:

How are the duct coolers? I've never tried them. I've always used intakes from my freezer to pipe cold air over to my medical storage.

They're just AC units that connect directly to the pipe and chill the network while producing heat. They've always worked fine for me, just need some exposed pipework someplace.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Azhais posted:

They're just AC units that connect directly to the pipe and chill the network while producing heat. They've always worked fine for me, just need some exposed pipework someplace.

Speaking of, does ambient temperature affect their cooling ability? I tried using them as a combo heater/cooler unit by putting them in a small room with a bunch of intakes to heat my base, but it seemed like they just couldn't keep up with my cooling needs when I need them the most.

I got my best results by putting a few industrial coolers in the freezer, then staggering the temps on each of them down to -20F so that not all of them were drawing max power the entire time. I then used intakes to pipe it to the rooms I wanted to climate control; though I pretty much only used it to cool bedrooms and the infirmary, since that's all you really need to do to avoid the slept in the heat mood modifier.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Just found something out that's a great tip:

Use doors on outward facing bunkers and hold them open so people can go past them quicker, but if you disable "hold them open", when your drafted people get in the bunkers they close the doors behind them. Having two-people bunkers is best in case a melee guy gets in which could otherwise be dangerous. My expansion plans involve making a third outer layer for turrets with a similar bunker layout, and switching from wood to steel walls along with concrete flooring to avoid fires.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Use doors on outward facing bunkers and hold them open so people can go past them quicker, but if you disable "hold them open", when your drafted people get in the bunkers they close the doors behind them. Having two-people bunkers is best in case a melee guy gets in which could otherwise be dangerous. My expansion plans involve making a third outer layer for turrets with a similar bunker layout, and switching from wood to steel walls along with concrete flooring to avoid fires.

You should put hard cover in those bunkers. Replace the two side sandbags with a single wall. Shooters stand behind the wall and lean out and fire over the sandbags, way more secure

code:
WWSSWW
W----W
Like that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azhais posted:

You should put hard cover in those bunkers. Replace the two side sandbags with a single wall. Shooters stand behind the wall and lean out and fire over the sandbags, way more secure

code:
WWSSWW
W----W
Like that

Does that restrict field of view (and thus arc of fire) significantly?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Steel walls still burn don't they?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does that restrict field of view (and thus arc of fire) significantly?

Flesh Forge posted:

Steel walls still burn don't they?

Yes and Yes. But the former increases survivability, unlike the burning steel walls.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Doors are good, but you can go one better: have it so your pawns stand in the doorway itself in their shooting position, so it's open when they're standing there but as soon as you take it off hold open and step backwards, the door slams shut in the enemies faces.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there an updated list of good/recommended mods floating around anywhere?