Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
World size matters, especially for the two-week advancement before starting a fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How effective are carved fortifications on high mountains if I built up into the mountain, should I still bother with building archery towers on my perimeter?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think they can shoot roughly 45 degrees down through fortifications if they're right up against them, and way less if they aren't. Their range depends on their archery skill.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is untrue. I've had plenty of building destroyer forgotten beasts destroy my hatches from the caverns.

The full write up of when they can and can't is here on the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Building_destroyer#Destroying_from_underneath

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For dummies like me who did not know DFHack does a lot of mouse integration, you can place furniture with b-t-click-click (for example for a table, if you aren't picky about exactly which table you're placing). This makes setting up 50 apartments ever so much simpler for me, although I'm sure there's some even less dumb method I still don't know about

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 26, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I know that any area that's ever flagged as "outside" stays so even if you build a roof/floor above it, but can I assume that that also works for grass regrowing? As in, can I make my pasture an area that used to be outside but is now enclosed in my fort? Or does grass actually need proper exposure to the sun/sky in order to regrow?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Nope, and in fact tiles still show "daylight" so feel free to channel out a large hole and then roof it over to have a permanent aboveground farm down next to your shroom farm or whatever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my cattle only graze on the finest all-natural staring eyeballs :colbert:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Flesh Forge posted:

For dummies like me who did not know DFHack does a lot of mouse integration, you can place furniture with b-t-click-click (for example for a table, if you aren't picky about exactly which table you're placing). This makes setting up 50 apartments ever so much simpler for me, although I'm sure there's some even less dumb method I still don't know about

Turn on planning mode (shift-p when you have selected a thing to build) and you can push enter once to place it. You can even set material types and quality requirements with planning mode so only good furniture will be placed.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

necrotic posted:

Turn on planning mode (shift-p when you have selected a thing to build) and you can push enter once to place it. You can even set material types and quality requirements with planning mode so only good furniture will be placed.

This is the feature I most want in the stock game. "When a masterwork obsidian table becomes available, place here."

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

18 Character Limit posted:

This is the feature I most want in the stock game. "When a masterwork obsidian table becomes available, place here."

That plus job-material (so you only build obsidian tables) would be killer as parts of the stock game.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

necrotic posted:

That plus job-material (so you only build obsidian tables) would be killer as parts of the stock game.

That's mostly there with stockpiles giving to workshops. At least for stone and I think some other materials, if you can select them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a good DF video tutorial for the new year.?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

18 Character Limit posted:

That's mostly there with stockpiles giving to workshops. At least for stone and I think some other materials, if you can select them.

Yeah, that kind of works. If only you could specify types in the manager interface, or pick which workshop things went to (without flooding other ones with suspended jobs).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lesson learned: undead turkeys can and will overwhelm a man and they will go straight for his eyes. :iit:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
So I found out that a lavafall with the temperature turned off is actually a bad thing.

Apparently when the lava turns to ash the dwarves still have trouble pathing through the area.

Oh well, turned temperature back on and dealt with ignored the fires that broke out. At least I now have a lava-moat.

scamtank posted:

Lesson learned: undead turkeys can and will overwhelm a man and they will go straight for his eyes. :iit:

Undead anything are usually pretty dangerous.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Starter pack 40.24_r2 is out, mostly to include the DFHack version with all the variables found and working (except god drat start_dwarf_count :argh:) but also has that item viewer thing that looks pretty neat ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147707 ).

VDay fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, where can I read up on what auto-labor does in DF-hack?

E: The answer was in he DFhack readme.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 27, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am just now starting to use DFhack.

I have figured out how to use tiletypes to rebuild natural walls that I accidentally designated for mining, and I have figured out how to squeeze 70% extra wealth out of every make Billon bars (use ore) reaction by forcing it to use tetrahedrite for the silver-bearing ore. I know there are other handy things that people use it for, and I can even find keywords like "autolabor" and "workflow" in the documentation, but hell if I can wrap my head around most of it.

I don't suppose there is better documentation out there with more examples of what the various commands can be made to do?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

I know there are other handy things that people use it for, and I can even find keywords like "autolabor" and "workflow" in the documentation, but hell if I can wrap my head around most of it. I don't suppose there is better documentation out there with more examples of what the various commands can be made to do?

There are some great guides for workflow on reddit. Let me go find them real quick...

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2kecx5/the_dfhack_workflow_plugin_a_guide_by_mechanixm/

There is one issue with the guide: when specifying specific materials in workflow, you have to have a job that has that specific material specified with job-material (alt-a when the job is selected in the workshop).

As for autolabor, I don't use it myself. That's one of the few areas I prefer to micromanage myself.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was wondering what would be a great in-depth Video Tutorial of DF 2014 that's somewhat recent, the one I'm watching I'm kind of worried they're not going to get into the intermediate stuff like minecarts, glass making, and metal smithing (or even military stuff!)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

(or even military stuff!)

I think this would be super useful. Military stuff is a bit opaque when you're trying to figure it out.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone with DFhack experience know how to turn soil into stone with tiletypes?

I can use tiletypes to turn stone into other stone; i.e., gabbro or schist into microcline, with commands like paint stone microcline, results in a Rough-hewn Microcline Wall or microcline Cavern Floor on that tile; but, trying to use that same command on a Sandy Clay Wall instead yields a Microcline Pillar and doing it on a loamy sand Cavern Floor instead yields a Smooth microcline Floor.

Turtlicious posted:

I was wondering what would be a great in-depth Video Tutorial of DF 2014 that's somewhat recent, the one I'm watching I'm kind of worried they're not going to get into the intermediate stuff like minecarts, glass making, and metal smithing (or even military stuff!)

necrotic posted:

I think this would be super useful. Military stuff is a bit opaque when you're trying to figure it out.

This is something I could do myself. Do you have any particular questions you would like answered in a tutorial, and would you like it to take place in an established fortress or from the ground up? While my posts above are all about me asking questions about DFhack, I am pretty well-versed in getting a vanilla fortress running and have done a lot of fiddling with the military.

In keeping with my earlier idea of a community embark exchange, I would even be willing to take a pre-generated embark site and either use it in a tutorial series or show of particular things.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nietzschean posted:

I can use tiletypes to turn stone into other stone; i.e., gabbro or schist into microcline, with commands like paint stone microcline, results in a Rough-hewn Microcline Wall or microcline Cavern Floor on that tile; but, trying to use that same command on a Sandy Clay Wall instead yields a Microcline Pillar and doing it on a loamy sand Cavern Floor instead yields a Smooth microcline Floor.

This is something I could do myself. Do you have any particular questions you would like answered in a tutorial, and would you like it to take place in an established fortress or from the ground up? While my posts above are all about me asking questions about DFhack, I am pretty well-versed in getting a vanilla fortress running and have done a lot of fiddling with the military.

In keeping with my earlier idea of a community embark exchange, I would even be willing to take a pre-generated embark site and either use it in a tutorial series or show of particular things.

If it took place right after the point where you have your farms and mining and really start laying down the groundwork (managers, smeleteries, digging deep etc. etc.) That would be really cool as there doesn't seem to be a lot of that on the internet right now. "Cool, you know how to make it past your first year, now here's how to strike back," sort of thing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

If it took place right after the point where you have your farms and mining and really start laying down the groundwork (managers, smeleteries, digging deep etc. etc.) That would be really cool as there doesn't seem to be a lot of that on the internet right now. "Cool, you know how to make it past your first year, now here's how to strike back," sort of thing.

I'll get to working on something like that today or tomorrow. The project you're describing is pretty much what I am in the middle of sperging about anyway: I am presently doing a bunch of fortresses where I start with slightly different embarks and try to get a set of defenses and desired industries up as quickly as possible. Once my ~optimal build order~ is established I will test it on a couple of new forts to iron out the kinks and then start working on this.

Just so you know, though: "right after the point where you have your farms and mining and really start laying down the groundwork" can be as early as the first month once you're familiar with the UI and how to micromanage dwarfs.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'd suggest watching any of the 40.x streams made by Nirruden. While the Extra Life stream is the most recent, it's sort of overly long and he gets sort of quite eventually since his voice wasn't ready for such a marathon stream. I think the one just before is a bit more compact.

While he does start from scratch and will go over things you already know, he expects you already know the basics like how to designate rooms to be mined out. He goes over a lot of things using DFHack, like workflow. Maybe autobutcher? His military setup is what made it finally click for me, I think.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Nietzschean posted:

You're not defining a special modifier with your paint brush, so it just takes what's there. Soil, for some bizarre reason, counts as smooth by default. Try paint special normal to force your brush do ordinary cave surface things.

Type help [paint option] into the tiletypes interpreter to see what arguments you can have.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

While he does start from scratch and will go over things you already know, he expects you already know the basics like how to designate rooms to be mined out. He goes over a lot of things using DFHack, like workflow. Maybe autobutcher? His military setup is what made it finally click for me, I think.

Military setup is incredibly simple once you understand it, though getting there is admittedly more mind-boggling than the infamous cat druid dps flowchart JOHN loving MADDEN.

scamtank posted:

You're not defining a special modifier with your paint brush, so it just takes what's there. Soil, for some bizarre reason, counts as smooth by default. Try paint special normal to force your brush do ordinary cave surface things.

Works perfectly, thanks a lot! :buddy:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Military setup is incredibly simple once you understand it,

There are just so many steps. Create uniform -> make squad -> assign dwarves -> make barracks -> assign squad to barracks -> create training schedule -> activate squad. And I feel like I'm missing a step since I'm not actually pulling up the wiki.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

Military setup is incredibly simple once you understand it, though getting there is admittedly more mind-boggling than the infamous cat druid dps flowchart JOHN loving MADDEN.

This is my experience with druids in raids.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

In terms of DFHack questions, how can you use createitem to create pets/livestock? I've never gotten it to work.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

When using the Dwarf Therapist guide at the "putting it all together" stage, I get weird stuff:

Normally I would expect the "Lead xxxx fitness" columns to have numbers and be sortable like the "xxxx fitness" ones, instead they're empty. Also as you can see the Pickdwarf assignment column got some weird numbers - not sure if related.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

There are just so many steps. Create uniform -> make squad -> assign dwarves -> make barracks -> assign squad to barracks -> create training schedule -> activate squad. And I feel like I'm missing a step since I'm not actually pulling up the wiki.

Well, you didn't assign the uniform to a squad or specify for them to use that barracks for training so following only what you have written you now have a group of dwarfs in civilian clothes standing around insisting that they could totally kick your rear end if they felt like it and you wouldn't believe how skilled they are with a weapon, man, you just have no idea (because they did not bother to pick them up).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Well, you didn't assign the uniform to a squad
That's why I made the uniform first, so it isn't an extra step, just choose the already made one during squad creation.

Nietzschean posted:

or specify for them to use that barracks for training
Yeah, there we go.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

In terms of DFHack questions, how can you use createitem to create pets/livestock? I've never gotten it to work.

Making creatures out of thin air is a bit more arcane than just poofing items into existence.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

Making creatures out of thin air is a bit more arcane than just poofing items into existence.

The only way I can think of doing it is some egg voodoo.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

scamtank posted:

PET is one of the acceptable arguments for createitem, though?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can make a creature by using 'createitem PET HORSE:MALE 1' but it just creates something called a 'tame horse' that I don't think the game recognizes as an actual animal/pet/livestock. It didn't even have a proper horse icon in my game when I tried it and just used the default ASCII 'H' symbol instead.

Like the others said, I think creating an animal and tagging it with all the appropriate flags so that the game treats it like livestock is probably way trickier than just using createitem to spawn it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can someone give me some pointers on how to defend/effectively use a massive amount of windmills for a fortress wide power system for the various computing uses and the modded in automatic workshops?
Or should I just try and use the cavern water for watermills instead?
Since its only about ~30 z-levels down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Can someone give me some pointers on how to defend/effectively use a massive amount of windmills for a fortress wide power system for the various computing uses and the modded in automatic workshops?

Oh, here you go Nietzschean: something with power. I haven't quite gotten to the point of messing around with it, but I am scared by it.