Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

The Lord Bude posted:

That PCPartpicker list shows an R9-280, not an R9-290 like you said. Which are you actually getting? $204 is overpriced for a 280, but an amazing steal for a 290 (although I'd make sure it's a custom cooled model, the reference cooler sucks balls and I'm not sure I'd want to subject myself to it even at that price.)

Whoops, it's the 280. I'm in Japan and everything has a ridiculous mark up. This build is for a mate who doesn't seem to keen to spend the ~$500 most places are asking for the 970. I just priced everything in shop at a local Tsukumo.
Maybe I'll suggest he waits for a 960 or try to see what it would cost to order something in from overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Lord Bude posted:

That's a very low end cpu cooler, especially considering you are buying a high end CPU and motherboard. Get a Phanteks TC14PE, or TC12DX (check height restrictions on your case and pick one of the above accordingly)

I'm not planning on going nuts with overclocking right away, but I would like to give it a go eventually. I wasn't too worried about high-end cooling so I just wanted something to replace the stock fan with the 4790k which everyone said was poo poo. That being said, the TC12DX is only $15 more than the Hyper 212 and it seems like it will let me get more out of my system when I do decide to push it so I may as well get the better unit now. I even found a picture review of someone installing it in my case so I know it will fit just fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MediumWellDone posted:

Whoops, it's the 280. I'm in Japan and everything has a ridiculous mark up. This build is for a mate who doesn't seem to keen to spend the ~$500 most places are asking for the 970. I just priced everything in shop at a local Tsukumo.
Maybe I'll suggest he waits for a 960 or try to see what it would cost to order something in from overseas.

That depends when the 960 comes out. Honestly before the 970 came out anyone here would have told you the 280 was perfect for 1080p gaming - it all depends on the relative price differences between say the 280, 280X, GTX760 and GTX970 - and also when the 960 is coming out which nobody knows.

If the best price he can get on a 970 is 500 and a 280 is 200 then it probably isn't worth it to get a 970 - yes the 970 is probably close to double the performance but a 970 is overkill for 1080p anyhow.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Factory Factory posted:

Nobody does interlacing any more, thank goodness.

Unless Carmack gets his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqzpAbK9qFk

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Does anyone else in here have a Nanoxia DS1? The dust filters on my front fans seem to be completely stuck. The manual, as well as every youtube video I can find, show them sliding in and out with no pressure, but they just will not move no matter what i do :(

E: Nevermind, got it figured out. Turns out it just takes so much force you start to worry you're gonna break the thing. Might sand down those nubs that hold the filters in place a bit.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 9, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, if I wanted to get into 4k gaming, I'm looking at a 980? SLI 970s? Shooting myself?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

MediumWellDone posted:

Just FYI, the US Amazon has 970s for $350~ if your buddy doesn't mind waiting for them to get some more in stock/shipping time. This seems like the best option for those of us in crazy markup countries.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, switch to Intel. I have an AMD FX-8350 8 core at present and even with a brand-new nVidia 980 GTX, I get lag in quite a few games that shouldn't otherwise lag, sometimes just as a matter of course or sometimes depending on the settings.

To add onto this the FX series is bad at single threaded/core performance. A large majority of games still rely on it so it's no real surprise that performance will tank. A Core i3 would usually tend to outbest it in this scenario (especially the more recent Haswell Refresh series).

Also to help clear up some confusion regarding AMD's core count, the FX 8 core processor is a 4 core processor. How so? This is a block diagram of the "8 core" Bulldozer architecture (Piledriver really isn't much different):

As you can see there are 4 real cores, one in each module block. What AMD are labeling as cores are only the individual integer clusters shown in the diagram (ie 1 integer cluster is labelled as 1 "core").
There is 1 core and 2 integer clusters per module block. What this means is that: the 8 core is a 4 core processor; the 6 core is a 3 core processor; and the 4 core is a 2 core processor.
It's all quite misleading in honesty.

Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong or incorrect though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So, if I wanted to get into 4k gaming, I'm looking at a 980? SLI 970s? Shooting myself?

980 would be bare minimum - I'd say SLI 970 would be pretty good, and SLI 980 would be excellent, but it also depends on the game - outliers like crysis 3 are still under at 4k. Then you have the expensive 4k monitor, and the hassles of SLI - some games scale better than others, although SLI is pretty good these days. Personally I don't think 4k is worth doing till you can do it with a single gpu.

Note also that I consider 'everything except AA is set to max' as the minimum acceptable gameplay settings, so YMMV.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 9, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they call the next generation 1080 or something it's going to be very confusing

I guess they should call it GTX One 70

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

UHD (2160p, not quite 4K, but that's what's on the market) is 78% more pixels than 1440p, which is probably the 970's natural fit. The 980 does not close the gap on its own.

SLi 970 is probably your best bet, but keep in mind you won't have as much overclocking headroom with SLi because not only does it have to work with both cards but it also has to work with SLi overhead. SLi 980 is probably not wasted money (relatively speaking), though, if you're already making the outlay for a decent UHD monitor and an SLi setup.

You will need a beefy power supply for either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm gonna say your probably want SLI 970s... or even picking up a pair of cheap R9 290. The R9 290 is more compeitive at higher resolutions, and they are getting cheap now.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I picked up a reference cooled 290 a year ago for 200 from a goon, but jesus christ is it annoying. What is my best option on modding the card? It seems using a kraken bracket and a closed loop water cooler is surprisingly simple.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I picked up a reference cooled 290 a year ago for 200 from a goon, but jesus christ is it annoying. What is my best option on modding the card? It seems using a kraken bracket and a closed loop water cooler is surprisingly simple.

Corsair also has a competing product the hydro HG10 which is supposed to be pretty good.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

thorsilver posted:

I'm glad I asked, that's really useful :) Thanks for that. The 970 goes for about £260 if I get a Zotac one, or £275 for Windforce 3 OC... are either of those models considered OK? I can stretch my budget if it's going to do me better than the R9 290.

Of course then I miss out on the 3 games from AMD, so I'll have to add another £30 to the budget for Alien: Isolation... argh.

I just got a Zotac 970, and I'm not sure about the non-overclocked ones, but the AMP! Omega runs quiet and cool on the benchmarks I ran overnight, so I'd say Zotac is fine. It's also owned by the parent company that owns Sapphire which I never had any problems with, and got a quick RMA for my AMD card a few years back.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

thorsilver posted:

I'm glad I asked, that's really useful :) Thanks for that. The 970 goes for about £260 if I get a Zotac one, or £275 for Windforce 3 OC... are either of those models considered OK? I can stretch my budget if it's going to do me better than the R9 290.

Of course then I miss out on the 3 games from AMD, so I'll have to add another £30 to the budget for Alien: Isolation... argh.

I'd pick the gigabyte windforce out of those two but if you could get hold of the Asus Strix or MSI models that would be better. Those two are the clear leaders.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Corsair also has a competing product the hydro HG10 which is supposed to be pretty good.

The noise is loving obnoxious on this thing at high speeds good god.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

The noise is loving obnoxious on this thing at high speeds good god.

Yeah the reference cooler was grossly incompetent for such a ludicrously hot, power hungry, sheer inelegant brute force of a product.

It's so bad that the card throttles, so you aren't even getting the full performance potential out of it yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah the reference cooler was grossly incompetent for such a ludicrously hot, power hungry, sheer inelegant brute force of a product.

On the other hand, it massively undercut the 780. I'm a fan of anything that brings lower prices for consumers. I'm very glad the 290 exists.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It's so bad that the card throttles, so you aren't even getting the full performance potential out of it yet.

:stonk:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I've done that with a custom bracket, and while it is simple, it's still a nerve-wracking experience to void the warranty on such a pricey part. I'd pick the NZXT G10 over Corsair's bracket due to the fan replacement, personally - the G10 is styled very much like my mod, i.e. replacing the stock blower with a case fan for PCB cooling, and I'm quite pleased with how that turned out.

If you want a nice kit and don't mind a small price premium, Arctic Cooling's Accelero Hybrid and Hybrid II are kits that combine good fans, VRM and RAM heatsinks, and mounting hardware. The Hybrid II is easier to install and doesn't require thermal glue.

For anyone with a GTX 970 or 980 considering a CLC mod, BE VERY CAREFUL - some cards have the VRM laid out near the display outputs rather than on the other side as is the norm. A G10 or Accelero Hybrid might not get any air to those at all and you could seriously damage your card through overheating.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Titor posted:

To add onto this the FX series is bad at single threaded/core performance. A large majority of games still rely on it so it's no real surprise that performance will tank. A Core i3 would usually tend to outbest it in this scenario (especially the more recent Haswell Refresh series).

Also to help clear up some confusion regarding AMD's core count, the FX 8 core processor is a 4 core processor. How so? This is a block diagram of the "8 core" Bulldozer architecture (Piledriver really isn't much different):

As you can see there are 4 real cores, one in each module block. What AMD are labeling as cores are only the individual integer clusters shown in the diagram (ie 1 integer cluster is labelled as 1 "core").
There is 1 core and 2 integer clusters per module block. What this means is that: the 8 core is a 4 core processor; the 6 core is a 3 core processor; and the 4 core is a 2 core processor.
It's all quite misleading in honesty.

Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong or incorrect though.

Eh. Eh.

Yes, AMD's "cores" are implementations of a symmetric multithreading design that send two threads through one module. The is similar to how Intel's Hyperthreading will schedule two threads to one core so that the second can use execution resources the first is not. But Intel's design is a true single core - a single thread can use every resource the core has to offer; Hyperthreading just fills in gaps when a single thread isn't saturating every internal execution port. A Bulldozer/Piledriver/etc. module is not like that. It's a clustered multithreading design with a lot of dual-core-like character within each module, with two of almost every execution unit.

A Bulldozer module consists of two almost-cores, with the only share resources being the floating point math unit. The FP unit is a bit odd - it's a 256-bit wide unit, but when executing 128-bit or shorter instruction (i.e. SSE, or AVX rather than AVX2), it bifurcates into two pipes and allows two threads to execute on it simultaneously without competing for resources. So when you are doing anything with 128-bit floating point math, the FX acts as a true 8-core CPU.

When this happens, with 128-bit math, the floating point operations throughput is proportional to core performance - eight times what a single core can do. On 128-bit FP, an Intel CPU will also have performance proportional to cores, four times what a single core can do. You see this play out really well in video encoding benchmarks that don't use AVX2 (256-bit floating point operations) - an FX 8-core that has a 50% per-core performance deficit vs. a Core CPU will tie the Core in encoding performance. But when you use AVX2 instructions, that's where Bulldozer's clustered multithreading design starts to act in terms of modules rather than "cores."

Each module's FP unit can only run a single thread of 256-bit FP math. When you use AVX2 instructions, instead of getting eight times 128 bits of FP ops, you get four times 256 bits of ops - the peak throughput barely changes, just a couple percentage points from AVX2's increased efficiency. Intel's cores, on the other hand, go from 4x128 bit to 4x256 bit of ops - AVX2 doubles the peak floating point throughput, and the Intel CPU can leave Bulldozer in the dust (it may or may not depending on the non-FLOP parts of the program).

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 9, 2014

Roger Wynter
Aug 19, 2009
Would very much appreciate some advice on the below build. My main aim is to build something small and quite (so my better half will stick around), but that will still let me game at decent levels; 1080+ 60fps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£100.78 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£61.74 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£87.49 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply (£63.35 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-09 17:10 BST+0100

From what I’ve seen Silverstone do a 450W Gold, that I can’t find on PCPartPicker but I imagine that’s the one to go for?
I’m not sure about CPU cooling and note that Factory Factory says in the overclocking thread that “Not all cases can fit the radiator assembly” so I hope you’ll be able to recommend me one that will fit in this smaller/odd case.
Budget is fairly flexible, but always open to saving a few pennies if it’s possible. Equally, if there is opportunity to reduce noise I would be happy to spend a little more.

Thank you in advance!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
e: nm, entire question rendered irrelevant for now, typing out the post helped me work out the thought process in my head

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 9, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

api call girl posted:

e: nm, entire question rendered irrelevant for now, typing out the post helped me work out the thought process in my head

Just in case, you might want to consider an external sound card. Easy to install, physical volume control, less prone to electric noise.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Reposting this because I want feedback before pulling any triggers:

A few questions

Here's what I'm looking at

CPU:Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard:ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard OR MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg and Amazon respectively)
RAM:CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit (Already owned)
Case:Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Total:~$300

My questions are: 1) Is there any meaningful difference in those motherboards if I don't plan on overclocking anything? 2) Will my RAM get along fine with either until I can afford to upgrade it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Roger Wynter posted:

Would very much appreciate some advice on the below build. My main aim is to build something small and quite (so my better half will stick around), but that will still let me game at decent levels; 1080+ 60fps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£100.78 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£61.74 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£87.49 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply (£63.35 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-09 17:10 BST+0100

From what I’ve seen Silverstone do a 450W Gold, that I can’t find on PCPartPicker but I imagine that’s the one to go for?
I’m not sure about CPU cooling and note that Factory Factory says in the overclocking thread that “Not all cases can fit the radiator assembly” so I hope you’ll be able to recommend me one that will fit in this smaller/odd case.
Budget is fairly flexible, but always open to saving a few pennies if it’s possible. Equally, if there is opportunity to reduce noise I would be happy to spend a little more.

Thank you in advance!

Silverstone ST45SF-G. You actually might consider the 600W version since you're overclocking, SX600-G. It's pricey, but you're overclocking and it's already a high-end build.

For a CPU cooler, you can fit a single-wide 120mm radiator and that's it.

Not a heck of a lot of space to work with. My advice would be to get a Corsair H50/55/60 - they're all the same Asetek-OEM radiator, whatever's cheapest - and replace the fan with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM. That'll be about as good as it gets in the space available.

Alternatively, you could try a Noctua NH-C14, but I think you might need to take off the top fan, and I'm not sure how well it'll work pull-only.

It might just be easier to go with a non-overclocking CPU and motherboard and 450W PSU. Crank up the graphics card, sure, but there just isn't enough room for cooling to really let Haswell breathe.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hob_Gadling posted:

Just in case, you might want to consider an external sound card. Easy to install, physical volume control, less prone to electric noise.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0

That would be two volume control boxes on my desk, but it might be worth it if just to slightly reduce cable connections behind the computer.

e: This looks like a winner, thanks for the recommendation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 9, 2014

Roger Wynter
Aug 19, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

It might just be easier to go with a non-overclocking CPU and motherboard and 450W PSU. Crank up the graphics card, sure, but there just isn't enough room for cooling to really let Haswell breathe.

Thank you. I think I may just do the above, as I have little experience with overclocking and the case does not really lend itself to first timers.

If I swap in the Core i5-4590 and new motherboard (could you suggest a decent mini ITX motherboard), I should be good go?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, switch to Intel. I have an AMD FX-8350 8 core at present and even with a brand-new nVidia 980 GTX, I get lag in quite a few games that shouldn't otherwise lag, sometimes just as a matter of course or sometimes depending on the settings.

The most extreme example: Metro 2033 Redux, if I keep AA completely off, it runs smooth at 60 FPS even during fairly heavy scenes (Such as the combat standoff outside in the Dead City with Bourbon against the horde of mutants) and with everything else maxed. If I turn even the lowest AA on, it slows down to between 15 and 25 FPS for no discernible nor logical reason.

A number of other games have also not displayed the kind of performance jump that would be expected of a 980 being run at 1920x1080 (For example, maxed out Battlefield 4 doesn't run at a constant 60FPS on all maps, I've seen it go down to about 53 or 54 during gameplay). Unfortunately, I've had something else come up so my plans for getting a new CPU and some other stuff are on hold until that's all settled, so I can't 100% confirm that it's my CPU yet, but given everything I've heard about AMD since getting this thing as well as my own experiences with it, I wouldn't doubt that it's the problem.

In short: Intel, no question.

Just want to add this because it hardly ever gets benchmarked (for good reason, it's inconsistent for graphs). The moment you put an AMD cpu into a cpu-intense online situation, in this case such as BF4, you get bottlenecked in a way you never see in single player. A 980 not being able to run 60 fps in BF4 with a 980 is almost certainly entirely due to CPU.

This applies to single player games too but that is represented correctly in general and is often less extreme.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Have any of you worked with an Antec Minuet case? Comes with an 80+ PSU and both of the add-on cards I'm carrying over are low profile. Looking at a Pentium Anniversary build for an HTPC so not a high power or high heat machine. It'll be going in a cabinet but it has an open back. Thoughts?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Roger Wynter posted:

Thank you. I think I may just do the above, as I have little experience with overclocking and the case does not really lend itself to first timers.

If I swap in the Core i5-4590 and new motherboard (could you suggest a decent mini ITX motherboard), I should be good go?

ASRock H97M ITX/ac

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Just want to add this because it hardly ever gets benchmarked (for good reason, it's inconsistent for graphs). The moment you put an AMD cpu into a cpu-intense online situation, in this case such as BF4, you get bottlenecked in a way you never see in single player. A 980 not being able to run 60 fps in BF4 with a 980 is almost certainly entirely due to CPU.

This applies to single player games too but that is represented correctly in general and is often less extreme.

I can vouch for this as well. I have a GTX 980 paired with an oc'd Lynnfield i5 and I'm entirely CPU bound on BF4. Luckily my Haswell parts will be delivered this afternoon.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

I've done that with a custom bracket, and while it is simple, it's still a nerve-wracking experience to void the warranty on such a pricey part. I'd pick the NZXT G10 over Corsair's bracket due to the fan replacement, personally - the G10 is styled very much like my mod, i.e. replacing the stock blower with a case fan for PCB cooling, and I'm quite pleased with how that turned out.

If you want a nice kit and don't mind a small price premium, Arctic Cooling's Accelero Hybrid and Hybrid II are kits that combine good fans, VRM and RAM heatsinks, and mounting hardware. The Hybrid II is easier to install and doesn't require thermal glue.

For anyone with a GTX 970 or 980 considering a CLC mod, BE VERY CAREFUL - some cards have the VRM laid out near the display outputs rather than on the other side as is the norm. A G10 or Accelero Hybrid might not get any air to those at all and you could seriously damage your card through overheating.

Is it something I should even consider doing sooner rather than later?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is it something I should even consider doing sooner rather than later?

Removing a graphics card is very easy, so there's no additional difficulty for doing it later. You already have the card, so you've already "waited and seen" whether you want something better, so it just comes down to this: Buy it if the difference will be worth it to you.

Since it's a 290, if you are going to overclock the poo poo out of it and send the power consumption through the roof, maybe get a G10 and a 140mm radiator just so you don't bump up against thermal limits. I'd call it an absolute requirement if you plan to overvolt. If you won't be going crazy, a 120mm radiator should be fine, though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I have decided on parts for my new build almost across the board, and have even grabbed up some of them already.

I have two questions though, and I have sifted through a whole lot of information and cannot seem to get a concise answer.

1) I need a mobo that is haswell socketed, has tons of USB ports, and can handle SLI 900 series nvidia cards. I have sifted through a lot of motherboards and I just wanted to know if there was a defacto one recommended by players?

2) Ram is still pretty basic right? If I get 2x8Gb sticks I should be set? Is quad channel worth it?

Edit: Does the haswell socket even support quad channel?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Removing a graphics card is very easy, so there's no additional difficulty for doing it later. You already have the card, so you've already "waited and seen" whether you want something better, so it just comes down to this: Buy it if the difference will be worth it to you.

Since it's a 290, if you are going to overclock the poo poo out of it and send the power consumption through the roof, maybe get a G10 and a 140mm radiator just so you don't bump up against thermal limits. I'd call it an absolute requirement if you plan to overvolt. If you won't be going crazy, a 120mm radiator should be fine, though.

Thanks mate. Speaking of coolers, I've seen the h100 recommended over the h80, but most benchmarks/testing equipment I've seen use the h80i over the h100i or the h110. Is there any particular reason for that? I also seem to recall the actual performance is rather similar, and some of the Kraken products similarly priced straight up beating the corsairs in terms of performance.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Anti-Hero posted:

I can vouch for this as well. I have a GTX 980 paired with an oc'd Lynnfield i5 and I'm entirely CPU bound on BF4. Luckily my Haswell parts will be delivered this afternoon.

This is entirely off topic but I just absolutely adore Intel's standards for naming their CPUs. Lynnfield rolls off the tongue, Sandy and Ivy Bridge just sound cool, and Haswell is kinda meh but still interesting. Where do they come up with those names?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

This is entirely off topic but I just absolutely adore Intel's standards for naming their CPUs. Lynnfield rolls off the tongue, Sandy and Ivy Bridge just sound cool, and Haswell is kinda meh but still interesting. Where do they come up with those names?

"Merom" is still one of my favourite words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Haswell is named after a town in Colorado so poor that the entire town only has one computer: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23370797/intels-newest-processor-named-after-small-colorado-town

• Locked thread