Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Grassy Knowles posted:

I bet you didn't read the post you replied to

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Anyone else have Apple maps stop loading data in the last couple days? The maps will load, and basic data about my recent items will load. But searches and directions just sit on the "loading" spinner unit a time out.
Phone and iPad, wifi and cellular. Phone's on iOS 10, and iPad on 11.
I mean, I can use Google maps for directions for now, but it's hamstringing my "Hey Siri" experience.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

CaptainCrunch posted:

Anyone else have Apple maps stop loading data in the last couple days? The maps will load, and basic data about my recent items will load. But searches and directions just sit on the "loading" spinner unit a time out.
I mean, I can use Google maps for directions for now, but it's hamstringing my "Hey Siri" experience.

Ever tried Waze? Once you do you'll probably stick with it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Not having that issue. Maybe try deleting the app and redownloading?

I love Apple Maps. Using it with my watch and Siri is too convenient to switch to another app. Of course, I live near the Bay Area so the navigation works great for me here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Depending on the rate of your adoption where you live, Waze is either a Google Maps clone with less features and worse UI, or a complete life-changing experience.

Being that I live in Austin, a massively overpopulated city that can't spell "urban planning", it's definitely at the life-changing end of the scale for me, but if you don't have hundreds of people feeding real-time updates on your route as you drive it may not be all that.

Google owns Waze and is supposed to be incorporating Waze reports into Google Maps but I haven't seen it the few times I've tried.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Mhm it's very well adopted in Chicago. The place-finding features are better in GMaps, so sometimes I'll find the place I need there, then type the address into Waze.

Siri, Watch, and Carplay are all advantages AMaps has but I personally don't care about those.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I know its bean asked a million times since ios 11 came out, but jesus gently caress thanks for making the native podcast app into poo poo apple.

All I want to do is play episode 183, and then when its done episode 184 starts playing unless I set the sleep timer to stop playing at the end of 183. I don't want to have to make playlists to to do this. Ive set overcast to oldest to newest but it it switches to the newest episode every time. Do I have the settings wrong or does overcast not do this? Is there a podcast app that just does this? I dont need a million playback features.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bugsy posted:

I know its bean asked a million times since ios 11 came out, but jesus gently caress thanks for making the native podcast app into poo poo apple.

All I want to do is play episode 183, and then when its done episode 184 starts playing unless I set the sleep timer to stop playing at the end of 183. I don't want to have to make playlists to to do this. Ive set overcast to oldest to newest but it it switches to the newest episode every time. Do I have the settings wrong or does overcast not do this? Is there a podcast app that just does this? I dont need a million playback features.

Downcast does this and I prefer it to Overcast.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That's how I use Overcast and it works fine for me. Go to a podcast's "Unplayed" list and it should have an upward triangle. If you tap the "Unplayed" header (which I've done by mistake) it'll swap to playing newest first instead.

You can also change the play/sort order in the third tab there. The one thing that threw me is that unlike the subscribe/notification/keep stuff in that tab, this seems to be a global setting, not a per-podcast setting. Tapping the header or changing the settings section will change it for all podcasts.

I assume you'll need to make a playlist if you want some podcasts to go one order and some to go the other. I am not sure why this is.

Downcast is awesome for customization but feels like overkill for "playing podcasts in order".

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not having that issue. Maybe try deleting the app and redownloading?

I love Apple Maps. Using it with my watch and Siri is too convenient to switch to another app. Of course, I live near the Bay Area so the navigation works great for me here.
I thought native apps just were hidden when you hit the "-" button in jiggly mode? Only re-download is on an OS update?

Issue fixed itself as soon as I tried to show it to a "Genius" yesterday. Back to loading near instantly.

Michael Scott posted:

I have and I didn't. Way, WAY, too many times routed to a left turn with no signal across a main thoroughfare (like Wilshire, lol) which ADDS time to a journey. So much for that time-saving, traffic-avoidance routing!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have and I didn't. Way, WAY, too many times routed to a left turn with no signal across a main thoroughfare (like Wilshire, lol) which ADDS time to a journey. So much for that time-saving, traffic-avoidance routing!

Since a while ago they added an option to avoid difficult unsignaled turns, so that probably wouldn't be an issue anymore. Specifically because of roads like Wilshire.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

I thought native apps just were hidden when you hit the "-" button in jiggly mode? Only re-download is on an OS update?

That’s how it was in iOS 10, but in 11 it actually does delete the app.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bugsy posted:

It has been poo poo many more previous versions. Downcast is the app that you want for this. Never look back.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I'm still on ios9, don't know much about apple updates, is it easy to just get 10 and not 11?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm still on ios9, don't know much about apple updates, is it easy to just get 10 and not 11?

Unless you're on a 32-bit phone, it's literally impossible.
Anything from a 5s up will have to go to 11

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
But holy poo poo is iOS 11.1 beta 5 worlds better than iOS 11.0.3. It's so much better that I temporarily have faith in Apple again.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I'm on an SE, the battery life problems I've heard about 11 concern me. That's really my main worry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bobfather posted:

But holy poo poo is iOS 11.1 beta 5 worlds better than iOS 11.0.3. It's so much better that I temporarily have faith in Apple again.

Yeah they shouldn't have released iOS 11 until the X came out

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah they shouldn't have released iOS 11 until the X came out

Surely true, but iOS 10.0.x sucked also. Apple just isn't any good with their initial software releases, but they are pretty good about ironing them out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I'm on an SE, the battery life problems I've heard about 11 concern me. That's really my main worry

SE user here. The battery problems aren't great, but also not the worst thing ever. Maybe an hour less with light use.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is it possible to update from 11.0.x to the 11.1 beta without access to a computer? Can I do it OTA?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is it possible to update from 11.0.x to the 11.1 beta without access to a computer? Can I do it OTA?

Just google iOS public beta profile

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Every single iOS release has new reports about "battery life problems"

Every single goddamn one.

Every single new site has a "users report battery problem" article queued up and ready to go, just waiting for that fist MacRumors forum post to hit so they can press "submit".

And every single time they're either 1) iOS indexing everything and people playing with new features that drain the battery or 2) a legitimate problem that gets fixed in a couple weeks in a quiet minor point release.

Just update your phone, it's fine and cool and good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not actually sure it's possible to do *with* a computer.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Just updated. The massive bold text titles look kind of silly but eh. Seems ok so far

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FCKGW posted:

Every single new site has a "users report battery problem" article queued up and ready to go, just waiting for that fist MacRumors forum post to hit so they can press "submit".

And every single time they're either 1) iOS indexing everything and people playing with new features that drain the battery or 2) a legitimate problem that gets fixed in a couple weeks in a quiet minor point release.

This sure as gently caress is category 2... apparently fixed in iOS 11.1.

Most major iOS releases have had major bugs in the first few versions. It's not a huge deal, but it could well be a problem to someone who doesn't use massive amounts of battery. (Which sure as gently caress ain't me, I've sewn secret pockets for extra battery packs into my clothing.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just updated. The massive bold text titles look kind of silly but eh. Seems ok so far

oh god, don't open Music :gonk:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

oh god, don't open Music :gonk:

too late lol

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

If you're still on IOS9 then presumably you're pretty happy with it and why would you update?

Edit:

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 26, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

If you're still on IOS9 then presumably you're pretty happy with it and why would you update?

Edit:
Having security features that are actually up to date is a big positive.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Having security features that are actually up to date is a big positive.

Exactly. I also hoped this issue would be fixed, but I guess not

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new features that iOS 10 and 11 added are pretty great too.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

FCKGW posted:

fwiw 11 seems to be the buggiest .0 release, at least for me, since 8. i did get a significant hit to battery life when i updated (on an iphone 6) but that has seemed to have reached some kind of equilibrium, though it took literally weeks. or maybe i've just got used to it, who knows

SeANMcBAY posted:

The new features that iOS 10 and 11 added are pretty great too.

and honestly this is hardly an 'iphone 4 on ios7' (or iphone 4s on ios 9, which i'd argue is worse) situation. the weakest phone hardware-wise that will run 11 is the 5S, a config that i have used albeit briefly, and it's totally fine. looking forward to the reported improvements wrt lag though

i feel like they look alright on apps that have got a complete redesign with them as an integral component, like the new app store (which while prettier still works like absolute poo poo), but they seem to have just been slapped into apps like mail out of obligation and look really out of place there

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 26, 2017

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Michael Scott posted:

Since a while ago they added an option to avoid difficult unsignaled turns, so that probably wouldn't be an issue anymore. Specifically because of roads like Wilshire.

Well drat, if I need to dive into traffic again soon I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Weedle posted:

That’s how it was in iOS 10, but in 11 it actually does delete the app.

Oh, I'll remember that once I upgrade!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Slash posted:

Downcast does this and I prefer it to Overcast.

Thank you. Grabbed Downcast last night and after playing with the settings it does pretty much everything I want it to do.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else having a problem with Yelp updating lately? It'll go to 100% and then hang. The only thing that works is deleting and reinstalling it from scratch.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
11 is deffo the buggiest ios upgrade i’ve ever had and i’ve been on ios since the 3g

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

11 is deffo the buggiest ios upgrade i’ve ever had and i’ve been on ios since the 3g

It sucks. I'm getting problems with SMS notifications not showing up. like how do you gently caress up the most basic thing that your OS has been doing for literally a decade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 11 has been nothing but smooth sailing for me. btfo haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It really bothers you, doesn't it?