Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Stitecin posted:

The Super League clubs often run teams in multiple divisions. We played San Francisco Golden Gate's D II club every year until we both moved up to D I, they're able to field a PRP side, plus a D I A side and most of a B side, plus a D III side at different locations on the same day. (They've always been kind of assholes about bringing tons of guys from their PRP squad on to play for the D I side against us if there wan't a PRP match because our clubs have a fairly intense rivalry.)

I don't think Wisconsin has that kind of depth. Knowing what I know about rugby in the upper midwest, there's a good chance that their roster is largely the same guys and having gotten 5 years older it makes sense that they've moved down given how much families cut into rugby time, and you know getting older.

Well I remember Philadelphia-Whitemarsh RFC was a Super League club, but after that comp collapsed their club did as well and they were a mediocre D3 club for a couple years before getting their poo poo back together and now they play D2.

Here in NC, Raleigh has both D1 and D3 sides, and their D3 side is mostly old boys who don't practice regularly and use Old Man Rugby tricks against other teams' B-sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Gregor Townsend is to take over from Cotter next summer. Good for Scotland. crap for Glasgow.

A google search indicates it might have something to do with the allegations made by Jim Hamilton a few weeks back.

In other news, Beauden Barrett is starting this weekend in Sydney at 10.

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Nathan Harris
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Waisake Naholo
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Codie Taylor
17. Kane Hames
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Liam Squire
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Julian Savea

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Vagabundo posted:

A google search indicates it might have something to do with the allegations made by Jim Hamilton a few weeks back.

I was going to ask what you meant and then I Googled it and :stonk:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Apollodorus posted:

I was going to ask what you meant and then I Googled it and :stonk:

Yeah, the take away of that is don't read clickbait. Jim Hamilton later said it was bullshit and he was exaggerating for a laugh on the podcast, they did catch and kill rabbits to eat as part of the team building exercise but they didn't torture them. If it had anything to do with that dumb story then I imagine the dismissal would be immediate and instating an interim coach and not in 12 months time.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The real question, being Scotland and all, is, did they deep fry the rabbits?

Also, I know Sam Cane is the Anointed One and all that poo poo, but what the gently caress does Ardie Savea need to do in order to get a start ahead of the Prince? He's clearly a better 7 in pretty much every aspect of the game. Sam Cane should be playing at 6 (if at all).

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I've had my doubts about Cane, but so far he's done well with the fulltime gig. Savea is very good but I see no reason to make a change just yet, his time will come.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Also, I know Sam Cane is the Anointed One and all that poo poo, but what the gently caress does Ardie Savea need to do in order to get a start ahead of the Prince? He's clearly a better 7 in pretty much every aspect of the game. Sam Cane should be playing at 6 (if at all).

Not really. Cane's style of play is closer to latter-era McCaw, but they have fairly constrasting strengths as opensides. Both are about on par in terms of tackles made, but Cane has a bigger and more consistent presence in the tackle-ball and breakdown area, which creates more opportunities for turnovers, which has been a duty shared by most of the forward pack.
Savea often stands at the ruck, but not actually engage, so that he can swoop in and get the turnover, or hit the first/second receiver instead.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Expect Ardie Savea to be put on around the 60 minute mark and be asked to wreck the Australian defense. The idea of impact players isn't popular in many quarters but he is one player built to do just that. Who Savea replaces is what intrigues me.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 18, 2016

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Who Savea replaces is what intrigues me.

Julian.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

I wonder if they can get Sean Lineen to come back though knowing the SRU they'll pick someone suitably terrible.

It's extremely likely to be the latter.

Always remember - the SRU are cunts.

"Dodson, for it is he posted:

"In two or three weeks time, I think we'll be in a position to make sure that the Glasgow fans realise that we have taken the project at Scotstoun on to another level with a person that can replace Gregor and just keep that wonderful story of the Warriors going.

"I think, when you see the person we've appointed, I don't think they'll be any doubt about his quality."

This is either going to be good or a masterful troll.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 18, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apparently, according to the Glasgow facebook page, Dave Rennie (Chiefs coach) is going to take over at Glasgow. That's a very solid appointment if it's true.

e: It's on the BBC and the Scottish Rugby website so looks to be true.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 19, 2016

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
A listening device was found in a team meeting room in the All Black's hotel

I just love the idea of Cheika sitting in a van outside the hotel, listening to Israel Dagg make fart jokes

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

The Hamster Man posted:

A listening device was found in a team meeting room in the All Black's hotel

I just love the idea of Cheika sitting in a van outside the hotel, listening to Israel Dagg make fart jokes

That's some England level patheticness from the Aussies.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol what a bunch of cunts.

Never change Australia.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That's insane. The risk hardly seems worth the reward.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

No way is it the Australian team doing it, far more likely to be the press or Foxtel. I mean, there's no way we're getting the bledisloe back this year, so why would you try something like this?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Would bookies do something like this?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If spot-fixing is a thing that has happened in league, it's not unreasonable to ponder the possibility of it happening in union. The only real issue is that World Rugby has no will or interest in investigating possible cases.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I love these moments when the average racist Australian has to squirm in their seats while aboriginal people get a chance to speak.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

I love these moments when the average racist Australian has to squirm in their seats while aboriginal people get a chance to speak.

Hooray for liberal guilt

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Apparently, according to the Glasgow facebook page, Dave Rennie (Chiefs coach) is going to take over at Glasgow. That's a very solid appointment if it's true.

e: It's on the BBC and the Scottish Rugby website so looks to be true.

Surprisingly good appointment.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess it's one of those evenings for the Wallabies.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I don't think Giteau staying on was very bright watching that replay of him twisting the same ankle again

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah I don't think Giteau staying on was very bright watching that replay of him twisting the same ankle again

Yeah that was loving insane.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just stupid decision making by the Wallabies. They're competing well at the breakdown, but the All Blacks are getting over the advantage line with ease.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has that guy stopped talking about Aborigines yet?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Because Folau never kicks (probably poo poo at it), it's obvious what he's going to do. It takes out a winger, who needs to hang back to clear it for him when a big boot is needed. Either way, it reduces Australia's attacking options.

And because the All Blacks are consistently getting over the advantage line, it keeps the Wallabies under pressure, leading to them scrambling and making poor, dedperation calls.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Vagabundo posted:

Because Folau never kicks (probably poo poo at it)
He's got range/accuracy, but isn't really up to scratch on how to use those skills.

AB line out looking good.

Wallabies are just...awful.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
:swoon: Beauden

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Because Folau never kicks

Then they shouldn't waste their best attacking player at fullback.

e: holy poo poo Kano.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think Oz should have been allowed to bug the ABs room.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

They're absolutely shellshocked

edit: I did like that moment where Pocock for some reason thought it best to continue his mid-ruck debate with the referee while holding the ball the ref told him not to touch

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

I think Oz should have been allowed to bug the ABs room.

Given how bad this is going for them, I'm starting to wonder if they accidentally put in a two-way radio.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Beauden is so fast...if only he could goalkick.

Oh no poor Waisake :(

edit: giteau --> Toomua --> Horne --> Phipps .... oh dear

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Great try but Naholo looks like he's done his hamstring. :(

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Everyone is getting hosed by the stupid long Super Rugby season.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Christ, this is going to be another 50-pointer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

With the way the ABs score tries who cares about kicking goals.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Only question now is what will the IRB 2015 coach of the year do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Ditch Dagg and put McKenzie at fullback and give him goalkick duties. Problem solved.