Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

I personally rather invest in good cameras so I can also spy on my dogs at random times and if someone breaks into my house I have 4K video of them.

I've got me some cameras, but I refuse to point them into living spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

I've got me some cameras, but I refuse to point them into living spaces.
Same but only because I don't feel like ever having to review footage of my own bare rear end.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We only have one internal camera and it’s pointed at an entrance, it just so happens to be a favorite spot for the dogs so we get a glimpse into what they’re up to. Everything else is mounted outside.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nest Hello is our only camera and it's my favorite thing. I can shout at the kids to get off my lawn with the push of a button.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
jfc there needs to be a Nextdoor thread somewhere.

One of the nearby neighborhoods is lit up with people railing against an electrical operation center being built around an existing substation. Basically it's just a storage site for vehicles/materials to maintain/repair the grid. They've started a GoFundMe to pay a lawyer to fight the city on it.

Thing is, the site was re-zoned about 5 years before the first house in that subdivision was even built, and most of the houses immediately surrounding the site (including the home of the person who started the GoFundMe) weren't built until 2-3 years AFTER plans for the site were published.

So now they're trying to get a restraining order to stop construction, even though the plans have already been 100% approved, and the site has been cleared of trees and leveling/grading is well underway. I mean I understand the NIMBY attitude because I wouldn't want it either. But drat, it's a BIT late to be freaking out about this...

Though the same neighborhood just had a freakout over AirBnB and are mounting a huge campaign to amend their CC&Rs to prohibit short-term rentals (they specifically argued that AirBnB would cause the "decay of <city>").

Glad it's not my neighborhood...

edit: though to be sure, it's great fun to poke at this stuff and rile them up. Hell, all it takes is a reasonable argument against their position and they flip their poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pyf idiots on social media.

This sounds amazing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912275

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

You know I saw that thread a while back and I thought it was a typical GBS parody thread, but looks like it's actually got real content now.

But then again, Nextdoor is a parody of itself so I guess it's fitting!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

One of the nearby neighborhoods is lit up with people railing against an electrical operation center being built around an existing substation. Basically it's just a storage site for vehicles/materials to maintain/repair the grid. They've started a GoFundMe to pay a lawyer to fight the city on it.

Thing is, the site was re-zoned about 5 years before the first house in that subdivision was even built, and most of the houses immediately surrounding the site (including the home of the person who started the GoFundMe) weren't built until 2-3 years AFTER plans for the site were published.

So now they're trying to get a restraining order to stop construction, even though the plans have already been 100% approved, and the site has been cleared of trees and leveling/grading is well underway. I mean I understand the NIMBY attitude because I wouldn't want it either. But drat, it's a BIT late to be freaking out about this...

Though the same neighborhood just had a freakout over AirBnB and are mounting a huge campaign to amend their CC&Rs to prohibit short-term rentals (they specifically argued that AirBnB would cause the "decay of <city>").

Glad it's not my neighborhood...

edit: though to be sure, it's great fun to poke at this stuff and rile them up. Hell, all it takes is a reasonable argument against their position and they flip their poo poo.

Do...do you live in my neighborhood/city because these 2 exact things are happening here too...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone from a theatre posted about a production of The Vagina Monologues and a bunch of people who think that's a bad word got mad, it was pretty cool/disappointing

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"The Hoohah Lectures" got considerably worse reviews but the locals were happy.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

"The Hoohah Lectures" got considerably worse reviews but the locals were happy.

The yokels actually specified that there was no acceptable term and it should never be mentioned

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

rt4 posted:

The yokels actually specified that there was no acceptable term and it should never be mentioned

I'm not really a fan of the show, but those people should absolutely be forced to watch it

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

rujasu posted:

I'm not really a fan of the show, but those people should absolutely be forced to watch it
But then god will hate them and it will be all those dirty liberals' fault.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

USPS helpfully informed me that I'll be receiving a letter in the mail today regarding the first property tax reassessment since I bought my home. In Michigan a property sale triggers the SEV (state equalized value) to become uncapped, and the taxable value is raised to meet that. Taxes going up 27%. I expected a jump but gently caress, not that much. :homebrew:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sirotan posted:

USPS helpfully informed me that I'll be receiving a letter in the mail today regarding the first property tax reassessment since I bought my home. In Michigan a property sale triggers the SEV (state equalized value) to become uncapped, and the taxable value is raised to meet that. Taxes going up 27%. I expected a jump but gently caress, not that much. :homebrew:

You could hire a lawyer and appeal and probably get it down some, at least that's the song and dance around here

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You could hire a lawyer and appeal and probably get it down some, at least that's the song and dance around here

Honestly, compared to what the taxable value of my neighbor's homes are, my new assessment seems pretty fair. I would guess I'd lose an appeal, though it seems here it's all handled through small claims courts so it's possible I could try for no or very little money out of pocket.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But after all that work you put in, your house is going to be worth way more than what it's going to be taxed on, so that's the flip side of the coin.

All I can tell you is that my escrow went up 650/mo my second year (but it was in my budget because my escrow for year 1 was below budget).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

totalnewbie posted:

But after all that work you put in, your house is going to be worth way more than what it's going to be taxed on, so that's the flip side of the coin.

All I can tell you is that my escrow went up 650/mo my second year (but it was in my budget because my escrow for year 1 was below budget).

Yeah I guess it's just more of a surprise than anything. I'm sure not having heat all weekend (still waiting on the service tech with my special order part) made me less amenable to this information as well.

Edit:

heat is back on and I got the actual letter in my hand now and ouch

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 24, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
drat, that heat really raised your property value!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Michigan, the old really screw the young on property tax, when you are old though it will be amazing!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not old and young so much as just bought the house vs. been there a while.

I would guess every state has an assessment increase cap law.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Michigan, the old really screw the young on property tax, when you are old though it will be amazing!

Have you heard of California's Prop 13?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Elephanthead posted:

Or years 2007-2020 happened.

Property values/taxes are reassessed basically at transfer of ownership. You can imagine how that goes for everyone who buys a house from someone who bought a house ten years ago.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Current mileage for my city is 69.24 so I'm looking at over $5k/yr in property taxes this year (new taxable value is $72,400). Everybody thinks Ann Arbor is expensive (it is) but lol their mileage is only 49.41. My monthly mortgage payment will likely go up more than $100..

I just wish this process has been more transparent to me going in. I've got a long text conversation with my real estate agent where I tried to understand how much the tax assessment would likely go up after year 1, I was worried it would jump up to ~$85k (true 50% market value) making the home largely unaffordable to me and he assured me that would not happen and that instead it would go up to meet the previous SEV of $59,400. Another $1k/yr isn't going to bankrupt me or anything, but obviously I should have done more research to understand what the SEV of comps and my neighbor's homes are to better predict this new assessment. Except I don't think anything I read or anyone I talked to clued me into that before hand, besides my agent who only gave me wrong advice?? Even the first time homebuyer class I went to really said gently caress all about this except for a generic *your taxes will probably go up after you buy" statement.

tl;dr I have made peace with this and I am still within my budget but wow houses are expensive and I should be sleeping

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 25, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That sucks :/ I don't know if your agent was misleading you on purpose, by accident, whatever.. but https://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/TransferOwnershipGuidelines_423898_7.pdf was pretty clear about what I should expect my taxes to be (millage * 1/2 my purchase value, more or less). I was hopeful that I was wrong when my first year's taxes were still low but then it caught up to me (and more, because my escrow was negative) and it was painful but /shrug.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the way Michigan does property taxes, property taxes in general, etc. There's just a lot of factors to juggle that it's hard to make any sort of call that is good for everyone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is time for my first property tax payment, however after checking the Maricopa County treasury website for the tax summary I see the following:

quote:

When are taxes due?
First half taxes are due Tuesday, October 01, 2019, and delinquent after Friday, November 01, 2019. If you miss the first half payment date you may pay the full year amount by December 31 without incurring interest.

Second half taxes are due Sunday, March 01, 2020, and delinquent after Friday, May 01, 2020.

Interest on delinquent property tax is set by Arizona law at 16 percent simple and accrues on the first day of each month including weekends and holidays and cannot be waived. The interest on delinquent property tax payments is deducted first and the balance applied to the taxes owed. Payments that do not include accrued interest will leave an amount of TAXES due equal to the interest. Electronic payments that do not include accrued interest will not be accepted.

What is the point of having a tax due date set if it doesn't become delinquent and accrue interest until two months later? I can't think of any reason to pay it before the delinquency date (within reason) based on this, am I wrong?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 27, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
In my area you get a discount for paying early. It’s like 2% or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Current mileage for my city is 69.24 so I'm looking at over $5k/yr in property taxes this year (new taxable value is $72,400). Everybody thinks Ann Arbor is expensive (it is) but lol their mileage is only 49.41. My monthly mortgage payment will likely go up more than $100..

I just wish this process has been more transparent to me going in. I've got a long text conversation with my real estate agent where I tried to understand how much the tax assessment would likely go up after year 1, I was worried it would jump up to ~$85k (true 50% market value) making the home largely unaffordable to me and he assured me that would not happen and that instead it would go up to meet the previous SEV of $59,400. Another $1k/yr isn't going to bankrupt me or anything, but obviously I should have done more research to understand what the SEV of comps and my neighbor's homes are to better predict this new assessment. Except I don't think anything I read or anyone I talked to clued me into that before hand, besides my agent who only gave me wrong advice?? Even the first time homebuyer class I went to really said gently caress all about this except for a generic *your taxes will probably go up after you buy" statement.

tl;dr I have made peace with this and I am still within my budget but wow houses are expensive and I should be sleeping

A realtor seems like the exact wrong person to have this conversation with. They have zero concern for your ability to afford the house once they've received their commission, and plenty of motivation to say whatever soothes you into spending the money.

The lender would be the ones to care, but mine sold my mortgage to Wells Fargo within weeks so it wasn't really their problem, either.

So yeah I'm not surprised people get burned by this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had a near verbatim discussion with my lender that went into more detail and they gave me the same information my agent did. They expected the home taxable value to raise to the then current SEV of $59,400. It did not and now it's $72,400.

I have done plenty of reading since my last post and tbqh the only way I could have guessed what my tax rate was going to be was to look at neighbor's homes and comps and see what they were assessed at, but even that is a best guess kind of situation. I don't think you can even be certain that a new assessment will take place, only that the taxable value is uncapped to meet the SEV. I knew all of the above before buying this place, I'm not sure there's anything I could have done differently to have predicted this. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

It is time for my first property tax payment, however after checking the Maricopa County treasury website for the tax summary I see the following:

What is the point of having a tax due date set if it doesn't become delinquent and accrue interest until two months later? I can't think of any reason to pay it before the delinquency date (within reason) based on this, am I wrong?

Could be reported to the credit agencies as delinquent which would ding your credit.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Edit: I derped.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

This is basically their way of giving the post office time to deliver your check to them, them to open it, etc. It's pretty standard for bills to be due on a certain day and "late" some number of days later. Your rent is probably due Jan 1 and late Jan 14, for example.

This is one of those things where "play dumb games win dumb prizes" applies. If you gently caress it up trying to super optimize your payment date you could wind up owing way more than your two weeks of interest gained. You're playing games with the title of your house, not some cable TV bill.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fair point you've got there. :v: Thank you

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

I had a near verbatim discussion with my lender that went into more detail and they gave me the same information my agent did. They expected the home taxable value to raise to the then current SEV of $59,400. It did not and now it's $72,400.

I have done plenty of reading since my last post and tbqh the only way I could have guessed what my tax rate was going to be was to look at neighbor's homes and comps and see what they were assessed at, but even that is a best guess kind of situation. I don't think you can even be certain that a new assessment will take place, only that the taxable value is uncapped to meet the SEV. I knew all of the above before buying this place, I'm not sure there's anything I could have done differently to have predicted this. :shrug:

I'm willing to bet most assessors do the bare minimum work required ( https://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/Guide_to_Basic_Assessing_1-16_511508_7.pdf ) and more or less use the sale price as a guide.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Our house went from 145k (was renovated before we bought it for 225k) to 245k, then 275k. RIP my escrow. I think it's finally evening out now.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our taxable market value that the county uses went from $34k to $294k in one year. I was somewhat surprised that the bank had no method at all for evening out this wholly unexpected value change from building a new home, other than "your taxes are going to go through the roof after 18-24 months, prepare yourself".

We did sit down with our mortgage person and figure out roughly what our payment would be with the higher end estimates of our expected property value, based on tax records with the county on the other comparable houses on our block. We've got the money set aside to pay our escrow shortage in one payment, plus planned for the higher monthly as our "what are we comfortable spending" chats during the planning process. But I can see how people get caught off guard if it's their first purchase, and they don't know what to ask their mortgage person.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Well, Spring must be here because I woke up to a wet basement this morning. Sump pump seems to be working fine, but we have a French drain around the inside of the basement and I could see water at the top of it on the side farthest from the sump well. I think the drain might be clogged? I know the previous owners left some paperwork on who installed the drain but I can’t find it, so I have no idea who to contact to service it.

It’s making me look into a more comprehensive waterproofing solution since having a wet basement is pretty high on my list of things I don’t like about this place. Until then I’m going to have to come to terms with my laissez-faire approach to document management and dig out that paperwork, or figure out how to repair it myself

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Just got my interest rate for my first home locked in: 3.375%. Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hoodwinker posted:

Just got my interest rate for my first home locked in: 3.375%. Hell yes.

Was this before or after the Fed just cut interest rates by .5%?