Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

they admire them as good businessmen afaik

GeneX posted:

Do the chinese have their own jewish stereotype, because that being the one thing to penetrate their 5000 year old culture would be hilarious and unsurprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

In two years in Thailand I have never seen milk in Pepsi. They use condensed milk as dipping sauce for pastries though.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I never saw milk in pepsi in the time I lived in Thailand but I wouldn't be shocked about seeing it there.
I first went to Thailand at age five, and then almost every year after that. It was a big thing when I was a kid there. You would always buy your Pepsi in the plastic bag with ice, tied together with a rubber band and a straw sticking out. You could get it mixed with regular milk or condensed milk. My Thai family always went for the regular milk (because cheaper, LOL). I got used to the taste. It's just like a Pepsi Float with melted ice cream.

caberham posted:

But half and half sounds weird.

I'm going to try it.

I was in Shenzhen yesterday. Haier did you take one metro stop from nanshan to houhai?

I saw this tall dude almost as high as the subway car wearing sweat shirt and sweat pants from this same company hunched down and playing with his phone. He looks goony
I walked both ways, 12km total. I would never wear sweatpants in public. Eww. Also I am not freakishly tall. I don't know if I look goony, but I am sure posting here has one of those Law of Attraction things where the universe responds and we all look like nerds.

ladron posted:

was he jewy and reeking of vaginal discharge and half and half?
I'm not Jewish. I did reek of dairy products. U guys r so mean.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

lmao, just lmao if you still think america isn't a garbage tier country after electing trump

china #2! (Taiwan #1)

At least they have elections

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I'm not Jewish.

you can be jewy without being jewish, jason swartzman-man

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Haier posted:

I first went to Thailand at age five, and then almost every year after that. It was a big thing when I was a kid there. You would always buy your Pepsi in the plastic bag with ice, tied together with a rubber band and a straw sticking out. You could get it mixed with regular milk or condensed milk. My Thai family always went for the regular milk (because cheaper, LOL). I got used to the taste. It's just like a Pepsi Float with melted ice cream.

Ah, the soda in the bag thing is definitely a tier below even the places I normally hangout. I've only done that once here and it was when I was passing through an area and the shopkeep knew I wouldn't be bringing the glass bottle back and didn't want to lose the deposit on it. I can see this being more popular in provincial and rural areas where that practice is still fairly common.

My wife, from Taiwan, apparently grew up doing the soda in a bag thing, but that was before garbage and recycling culture took hold there and made little plastic baggies taboo. She never mixed it with milk though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Holy sheeet, Dikötter's book on the cultural revolution. 1967 seems to have been an interesting year with all the witchunts, largescale battles with makeshift weapons and armor, outright civil war with artillery and mortars in some places and oh, the cannibalism that was mentioned here before.

But the best twist so far was 68, when the young people get carted off to the countryside that they imagine to be idyllic and they find that it's literally Mordor, deforrested by the great leap with the naked and completely destitute population there starving in mud huts that melt when it's raining.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ah, the soda in the bag thing is definitely a tier below even the places I normally hangout. I've only done that once here and it was when I was passing through an area and the shopkeep knew I wouldn't be bringing the glass bottle back and didn't want to lose the deposit on it. I can see this being more popular in provincial and rural areas where that practice is still fairly common.
Thailand, especially BKK, was a lot different in '89-'98 when I was a kid there. I barely recognize the place now. The drink bag thing was standard everywhere back then, since plastic bottles weren't a thing (though cans were, so I don't know why). I remember drinking everything out of the iced bags while outside, from soy milk to gotu kola.
As far as I can tell, they never gave up the "drink every single thing with a straw" habit though.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

Thailand, especially BKK, was a lot different in '89-'98 when I was a kid there. I barely recognize the place now. The drink bag thing was standard everywhere back then, since plastic bottles weren't a thing (though cans were, so I don't know why). I remember drinking everything out of the iced bags while outside, from soy milk to gotu kola.
As far as I can tell, they never gave up the "drink every single thing with a straw" habit though.

so you ever do it with a thai woman?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

Beer with a straw is a proud Asian tradition.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I noticed Chinese meals tend to consist of a little bit of good stuff (vegetables and animal protein) and a ton of filler. How do you guys feel about this?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It depends on what you are getting and how much rice/noodles you consider filler like you might look at pasta or chunks of potato. If you are some big get together you can skip the rice entirely if you want to chow down on nothing but mains.

If you think you are getting a lot of filler, order something else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GeneX posted:

Do the chinese have their own jewish stereotype, because that being the one thing to penetrate their 5000 year old culture would be hilarious and unsurprising

I haven't heard any unique ones but the cultural baggage is different. Asia seems to 100% buy into full on Protocols of the Elders of Zion level Jews rule the world nuttery but what they take from it is "these rich Jews who control everything must be really smart, let's be like them".

nickmeister posted:

I noticed Chinese meals tend to consist of a little bit of good stuff (vegetables and animal protein) and a ton of filler. How do you guys feel about this?

This is typically how Chinese people eat but you can just not do it that way. When we go to lunch the Chinese tables usually will order three or four of what I would consider mains, meat/vegetables plus the obligation soup nobody touches. They'll eat maybe half of each but go through three buckets of rice. Our table will order four or five of the vegetable dishes and barely touch the rice. Everything is ordered separately so you can just do whatever.

The eating pattern in China/Korea/Japan is different than ours. Looking at the rice as filler is the western point of view. To the locals, the rice is the meal. All the meat and vegetables are sides and not necessary. We just think of it the other way around.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 26, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually like the obligation soup and drink a bowl or two with an emphasis on drink.

But you drink it anyway with relatives as you have no choice on the matter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a lot of really good soup, I just think it's funny people insist on ordering it whether anyone wants soup or not. I've seen so much soup wasted on this continent.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The other thing about the soup is that usually you can't just get one bowl of it. Sometimes for lunch I just want some tomato-egg-seaweed soup but when I order the 4 kuai portion they bring like 10 litres of it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have been to places that give you the soup with your order it or not for dinner service.

They are petty thin soups most of the time so drinking it doesn't impact how much you can eat, but too often much of it goes to waste.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grand Fromage posted:

The eating pattern in China/Korea/Japan is different than ours. Looking at the rice as filler is the western point of view. To the locals, the rice is the meal. All the meat and vegetables are sides and not necessary. We just think of it the other way around.

Rice fills you up, but you kind of NEED the stuff that's in meat in vegetables...

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

China's futuristic 'straddling bus' now sits abandoned, gathering dust and blocking traffic

China's once-celebrated Traffic Elevated Bus (TEB) has been left abandoned in the middle of a Hebei city road, not having moved once in over two months. Originally touted as the futuristic solution to urban traffic jams, the "straddling bus" is currently causing them.

A local reporter recently checked up on "the future of public transportation" at its testing site in Qinhuangdao, only to find it forgotten in a rusted garage, covered in dust. The bus is currently being looked after by a pair of old security guards who reluctantly admit that they've been forgotten about as well.

"The managers from the company have long drifted away, and I am unable to contact them," said an unidentified guard.

This is quite the reversal from early August when the TEB made its first "test-run" to much fanfare and media coverage on a tiny 300-meter-long strip of road in Qinhuangdao. Unfortunately, testing was abruptly stopped only a few days later after Chinese state media labeled the "straddling bus" a big, fat scam. Nervous investors soon began asking for their money back and public criticism started to far outweigh the positive hype that the headline-catching project once enjoyed.

In early September, it was announced that the TEB would begin testing again, and local residents were invited to take part. However, that arrangement doesn't seem to have lasted very long and the "straddling bus" has since returned to its garage.

Despite its innovative design, critics have pointed out a few flaws with the "straddling bus." For example, only vehicles that are no more than 2.1 meters in height can pass freely underneath the bus, yet vehicles of up to 4.2 meters in height are allowed on most Chinese roads.

A few other concerns include that the 22-meter-long bus may be too heavy and cumbersome for roads in China, which have fallen victim to sinkholes in the past. Also, in the event of an emergency, passengers will be forced to escape from the carriage while suspended two stories above the ground.

But as much as TEB Tech may want everyone to forget about the "straddling bus," it simply refuses to die, living on now as a local traffic nuisance.

To test its invention, the company actually leased part of a city road in Qinhuangdao. Since the bus now remains exactly where it was abandoned , it continues to block three lanes of traffic, annoying residents to no end.

"No one has done anything with it in over two months. It still hasn't been dismantled," said local resident Chen Peng. "Give us back our road so we can pass through."
Unfortunately, locals won't be able to get rid of the "straddling bus" so easily.

The lease for the 300-meter-long test track was set to expire on August 31st; however, in September TEB Tech deputy manager and spokesperson Li Nancang confirmed that the lease had been extended for another year.

With one foot in the grave, it looks like the "straddling bus" finally lives up to its name.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nickmeister posted:

Rice fills you up, but you kind of NEED the stuff that's in meat in vegetables...

Rice is so healthy, do you know? Not like bread.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Celebrating traditional Hong Kong Christmas dinner at a friend's house with ham, turkey, haggis and sushi

So proud to call HK home

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

This is typically how Chinese people eat but you can just not do it that way. When we go to lunch the Chinese tables usually will order three or four of what I would consider mains, meat/vegetables plus the obligation soup nobody touches. They'll eat maybe half of each but go through three buckets of rice. Our table will order four or five of the vegetable dishes and barely touch the rice. Everything is ordered separately so you can just do whatever.

Experts agree that pandas are the descendants of carnivores with a digestive track fit for digesting meat, however pandas simply prefer bamboo. This is not to say that pandas never eat meat. According to How It Works, pandas eat meat occasionally when it is offered. The World Wide Fund for Nature or WWF, states that pandas sometimes hunt for pikas and rodents. According to the WWF, however, only 1 percent of the panda’s diet comes from meat and plants other than bamboo.

To accumulate enough energy to get through the day, giant pandas eat an enormous amount of bamboo -- about 40 pounds (18 kilograms) per day [source: Youth]. Not that the panda's day is incredibly strenuous, as most of it (12 to 16 hours) is spent eating. Add that to 8 to 12 hours of sleep to conserve energy, and you've got an animal that eats to have enough energy to eat.

One might think hibernation would be a great way for the giant panda to conserve energy. But its bamboo diet is exactly what prevents it from accomplishing an extended sleep period. Giant pandas can't pile on enough body fat for foodless months; bamboo doesn't provide enough energy to allow the panda to sustain a long period without eating.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Haier posted:

I think they did that in a lot of SE asian countries. phillipines, thailand, malaysia

Hold on to the can so they get the money back, then give you a sandwich bag with a straw. Sometimes no ice at all depending on how poo poo poor the area, so you have a 98F bag of coke

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LentThem posted:

Experts agree that pandas are the descendants of carnivores with a digestive track fit for digesting meat, however pandas simply prefer bamboo.

Bamboo is basically panda junk food? Buncha ursine carb addicts.

e: Has anyone tried offering bamboo to other bears? Can you escape a grizzly attack by throwing a pound of bamboo at it?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Why do they Chinese like pandas so much? Did Mao like them?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bamboo is basically panda junk food? Buncha ursine carb addicts.

e: Has anyone tried offering bamboo to other bears? Can you escape a grizzly attack by throwing a pound of bamboo at it?

No it's more they are evolved to eat it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sai posted:

China's futuristic 'straddling bus' now sits abandoned, gathering dust and blocking traffic

China's once-celebrated Traffic Elevated Bus (TEB) has been left abandoned in the middle of a Hebei city road, not having moved once in over two months. Originally touted as the futuristic solution to urban traffic jams, the "straddling bus" is currently causing them.

A local reporter recently checked up on "the future of public transportation" at its testing site in Qinhuangdao, only to find it forgotten in a rusted garage, covered in dust. The bus is currently being looked after by a pair of old security guards who reluctantly admit that they've been forgotten about as well.

"The managers from the company have long drifted away, and I am unable to contact them," said an unidentified guard.

This is quite the reversal from early August when the TEB made its first "test-run" to much fanfare and media coverage on a tiny 300-meter-long strip of road in Qinhuangdao. Unfortunately, testing was abruptly stopped only a few days later after Chinese state media labeled the "straddling bus" a big, fat scam. Nervous investors soon began asking for their money back and public criticism started to far outweigh the positive hype that the headline-catching project once enjoyed.

In early September, it was announced that the TEB would begin testing again, and local residents were invited to take part. However, that arrangement doesn't seem to have lasted very long and the "straddling bus" has since returned to its garage.

Despite its innovative design, critics have pointed out a few flaws with the "straddling bus." For example, only vehicles that are no more than 2.1 meters in height can pass freely underneath the bus, yet vehicles of up to 4.2 meters in height are allowed on most Chinese roads.

A few other concerns include that the 22-meter-long bus may be too heavy and cumbersome for roads in China, which have fallen victim to sinkholes in the past. Also, in the event of an emergency, passengers will be forced to escape from the carriage while suspended two stories above the ground.

But as much as TEB Tech may want everyone to forget about the "straddling bus," it simply refuses to die, living on now as a local traffic nuisance.

To test its invention, the company actually leased part of a city road in Qinhuangdao. Since the bus now remains exactly where it was abandoned , it continues to block three lanes of traffic, annoying residents to no end.

"No one has done anything with it in over two months. It still hasn't been dismantled," said local resident Chen Peng. "Give us back our road so we can pass through."
Unfortunately, locals won't be able to get rid of the "straddling bus" so easily.

The lease for the 300-meter-long test track was set to expire on August 31st; however, in September TEB Tech deputy manager and spokesperson Li Nancang confirmed that the lease had been extended for another year.

With one foot in the grave, it looks like the "straddling bus" finally lives up to its name.

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS???

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Fojar38 I guess

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS???

RIP straddling bus, you were too good for this world.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Isn't that like the third time that's been posted in this thread?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Japan bullied China!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154807877159820&id=355665009819

quote:

The family witnessed a group of mainland passengers attack airport staff, triggering police intervention.

“It was absolutely crazy that the situation flared up so quickly,” he said. “The group started chanting and made things very tense and wrapped the atmosphere up into almost a riot situation.

“We’ve got two young children who witnessed a lot of things that terrified them and actually upset them.”

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I bet all the water taps in that airport are opened all the way, and the toilets are being repeatedly flushed

take that!!!!

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

JaucheCharly posted:

Fojar38 I guess

"Everything that gets reported regarding China or Chinese achievement is at best incredibly exaggerated or at worst an outright lie" hasn't led me wrong yet

Fojar's Law

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"Chinese travellers are almost literal children. News at 10"

nickmeister posted:

Why do they Chinese like pandas so much? Did Mao like them?

Because they are cute and they have a monopoly on them. Every single Panda in the world it owned by the CCP, and foreign zoos have to pay through the nose for the chance to showcase them in their countries.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

Blistex posted:

Because they are cute and they have a monopoly on them. Every single Panda in the world it owned by the CCP, and foreign zoos have to pay through the nose for the chance to showcase them in their countries.

What happens if a foreign zoo says "actually we're keeping the pandas and not paying you anymore, they are ours"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
They activate the killswitch and a FOB nong immediately transforms into a 1960s looking Chinese Communist and feeds it plastic rice until it dies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Taipei: A group of Chinese warships lead by the country's sole aircraft carrier has passed through waters south of Taiwan and is heading southwest, Taiwan's defence ministry said on Monday of what China has termed a routine exercise.

The ministry said the aircraft carrier the Liaoning, accompanied by five other vessels, had passed 90 nautical miles south of Taiwan's southernmost point on Monday morning via the Bashi Channel, between Taiwan and the Philippines.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/china-says-aircraft-carriers-cruise-near-taiwan-routine-exercise-20161226-gti0jm.html

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

the "other vessels" escorting the liaoning are tugboats

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

etalian posted:

No it's more they are evolved to eat it.

But they didn't evolve. They still have a carnivore gut and that's why they are so bad at living on bamboo and barely have the energy to gently caress. But they still prefer bamboo to other foods more suitable for their digestive system.

What if bamboo is just catnip for bears? All we have to do to save the pandas is ween them off the devil weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Atlas Hugged posted:

Every couple weeks we need an update that the bus/train/scam is still abandoned and blocking the road. How long until someone strips it for scrap?

• Locked thread