Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Jorah barely gets cock-blocked at all in the leaks so you know they're fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If Arya kills Cersei that'll be the ultimate sign of how far the show's diverging from the books, since she's not the valonqar (unless they pull a "prince/princess that was promised" again)

They left the valonqar part out of the prophecy on the TV show, that's book only. All the TV show prophecy was "You'll have 3 kids, but not with the King. Gold shall be their crowns and gold shall be their shrouds."

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The season production hasn't even begun. Real leaks will come later when there is filming and scripts, like they have in the past. Who cares about dissecting some random fan fiction.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

So It Goes posted:

The season production hasn't even begun. Real leaks will come later when there is filming and scripts, like they have in the past. Who cares about dissecting some random fan fiction.

the hacked leaks (including a god drat episode, so it was legit) had scripts from 16 months ago that were about 90% accurate (the changes were stuff like fighting on a bridge vs not)

so it's entirely reasonable to get scripts right now that'll be changed/fleshed out later and move character deaths around a bit on which episode they show up in, but that's it

edit-someone said this a page ago, woops

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 21, 2017

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

everything comes full circle like city of god or sth so leaks must be real.

fat man is going to make game of thrones 2

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Where's the leaks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RedSnapper posted:

I'm firmly in the "spoilers look real" camp. They're just too stupid to not be a product of D&D's minds.

And as for the "GRRM told them the ending": yeah, he gave them the bullet points but let's face it - that doesn't mean that D&D will A) stick to the script and B) make any sense of it if they do.

Plus, GRRM constantly changes poo poo as he writes. The ending in his head now is prob different from the ending in his head when he told D&D what happens 7 years ago.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

IRQ posted:

Where's the leaks

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

the hacked leaks (including a god drat episode, so it was legit) had scripts from 16 months ago that were about 90% accurate (the changes were stuff like fighting on a bridge vs not)

so it's entirely reasonable to get scripts right now that'll be changed/fleshed out later and move character deaths around a bit on which episode they show up in, but that's it

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6urnji/a_comprehensive_breakdown_of_why_the_season_8/

I've been around GOT and it's leaks. I've believed the ones that were believable and this one just isn't that believable.

The fact that there has been leaks in the past doesn't make any random thing more or less likely to be true than if I made an anonymous post on 4chan writing some fan fiction.

e: given what this show has become, it is not believable that Dany does halfway into the season with feces thrown at her corpse lol. Same with the night king being killed off screen (?) so euron (?) can be the big bad and everyone dying because a dragon "accidentally" blows up kings landing. How do those plot points not sound absurd to people who just watched the generic fantasy that was the last episode?

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 21, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

Plus, GRRM constantly changes poo poo as he writes. The ending in his head now is prob different from the ending in his head when he told D&D what happens 7 years ago.

Two problems with this theory. First, Gurm doesn't write. Second, there was no ending in his head, not 7 years ago, not 17 years ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm enjoying these leaks whether they're authentic or not, if it's show fan-fic it's pretty good and I can't honestly see the show outdoing these leaks. They're generally bleak and gritty and a lot more interesting than the steaming shitpile we got this season.

So who cares. Leaks good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We should come up with our own leaks and then debate them for 30 pages.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

where are these god drat fake leaks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Two problems with this theory. First, Gurm doesn't write. Second, there was no ending in his head, not 7 years ago, not 17 years ago.

Touche.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

So It Goes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6urnji/a_comprehensive_breakdown_of_why_the_season_8/

I've been around GOT and it's leaks. I've believed the ones that were believable and this one just isn't that believable.

The fact that there has been leaks in the past doesn't make any random thing more or less likely to be true than if I made an anonymous post on 4chan writing some fan fiction.

e: given what this show has become, it is not believable that Dany does halfway into the season with feces thrown at her corpse lol. Same with the night king being killed off screen (?) so euron (?) can be the big bad and everyone dying because a dragon "accidentally" blows up kings landing. How do those plot points not sound absurd to people who just watched the generic fantasy that was the last episode?

That's a good summary but I do take issue with one part

It's not

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

So It Goes posted:

i'll grant you the night king, but other leaks than that one forum post show him dying in a duel with jon in the same spot as where bronn won.

the rest of that 'breakdown' is full of stuff that's easily explained by bad writing, like wights on pyke

or stuff like this : "Bran dies in this leak having done absolutely nothing (and I mean nothing, he dies in the supposed second episode). This is rather hard to believe as his story arc appears central to the White Walker threat"

lol. come on.
thats one of many examples. i could easily break down the leaks for this series as totally ridiculous/unbelievable just as easily. (teleporting, chains, wight party, forced arya poo poo, bran doing nothing, on and on and on)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

romanowski posted:

http://www.desinerd.co.in/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-1-leak-script/

there's 5 others

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
GRRM had some very brief idea of an ending plotted out when he first pitched the trilogy, because his early outline in his letter to the publisher had the conclusion of the plot spoiler-barred out. Presumably this included the bit where Jon discovered he was a Targ and banged Arya guilt free, but it's a full paragraph so you have to assume it also suggested who would win the war and how they'd beat the Others. Mind you this is the same letter where he says he doesn't write full outlines for novels because if he knows where the plot is going, he loses interest in writing it. Wonder how that's working for him.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

skasion posted:

Jon discovered he was a Targ and banged Arya guilt free, but it's a full paragraph

Jesus christ, what is fat man's problem?

Like this is some Twilight "he imprinted on her, it's ok if they bang" level of poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
at this point the writing has been so bad for several seasons (battle of the bastards, arya chase scenes, all that poo poo)) that any leaks can't be discredited, and leaks are happening often enough with enough accuracy that it's reasonable to assume poo poo's getting out. the sole purpose any of us are watching/reading spoilers are because we want to know how this poo poo ends. we have an answer, and maybe in 2 years we'll find out that answer is wrong but im quite happy to just go with what's there

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Lol at all of y'all who think the show runners will kill off fan favorite character Dany early and throw feces at her corpse. This show just had multiple deus ex machinas protect fan favorite characters but I guess in the last season it's gonna randomly switch back to being hella grimdark. Can't wait to see tyrion start banging his new love interest, missendei.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

So It Goes posted:

Lol at all of y'all who think the show runners will kill off fan favorite character Dany early and throw feces at her corpse. This show just had multiple deus ex machinas protect fan favorite characters but I guess in the last season it's gonna randomly switch back to being hella grimdark. Can't wait to see tyrion start banging his new love interest, missendei.

"something about believing the worst case so that way nothing can surprise you"

- Littlefinger poorly explaining 4d chess to Sansa

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The leaks also just feel very off from the direction D&D have been taking it, which is indulgent fan-servicey fan fiction, not grimdark troll-y fan fiction. Like, they're so AVERSE to killing characters, I don't buy they'd do some dumb 'they all die in an explosion' poo poo. A way more believable leak would involve no one dies except Euron and Gendry, 35 minutes of Tormund and Brienne on a date, Lyanna Mormont dabs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
honestly who's even died since the book timeline (that wasnt a villain like ramsay or freys or waif)? Thoros and benjen just did, both of whom everyone had forgotten about. Who else? The tarlys and sand snakes, big deal.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

The leaks also just feel very off from the direction D&D have been taking it, which is indulgent fan-servicey fan fiction, not grimdark troll-y fan fiction. Like, they're so AVERSE to killing characters, I don't buy they'd do some dumb 'they all die in an explosion' poo poo. A way more believable leak would involve no one dies except Euron and Gendry, 35 minutes of Tormund and Brienne on a date, Lyanna Mormont dabs.

Yes please.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

lezard_valeth posted:

Jesus christ, what is fat man's problem?

Like this is some Twilight "he imprinted on her, it's ok if they bang" level of poo poo

The series begins with brother sister incest crippling a kid and sparking a war for the crown between Stark and Lannister, and ends with the Starks winning the war and a Lannister midget getting killed to make way for Stark brother sister incest. It's like pottery

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Z. Autobahn posted:

Am I missing the joke here or did you forget about the explosion of the great sept?

Season 7 was fanservicey, sure, but it also involved killing off every remnant of the reach and dorne.

mastershakeman posted:

honestly who's even died since the book timeline (that wasnt a villain like ramsay or freys or waif)? Thoros and benjen just did, both of whom everyone had forgotten about. Who else? The tarlys and sand snakes, big deal.

Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, Kevan, Tommen, Myrcella, House Tyrell in its entirety. Doran, Trystane, All the sand snakes, Hotah, Ellaria. Almost every character introduced after the third season really.

Are you guys trolling me :\

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

35 minutes of Tormund and Brienne on a date,

Not really seeing the problem with this idea. Tormund/Brienne is legit my favourite subplot.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

"something about believing the worst case so that way nothing can surprise you"

- Littlefinger poorly explaining 4d chess to Sansa

In terms of being bad, the plot of the leaks could easily be better than what we get. My point isn't that the leak plot is bad as much as they are clearly not in tone with what the showrunners would do. They are way too dark and have some glaring points. How can you guys take seriously a "leak" that literally doesn't say who or how the night king dies?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Am I missing the joke here or did you forget about the explosion of the great sept?

Season 7 was fanservicey, sure, but it also involved killing off every remnant of the reach and dorne.

Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, Kevan, Tommen, Myrcella, House Tyrell in its entirety. Doran, Trystane, All the sand snakes, Hotah, Ellaria. Almost every character introduced after the third season really.

Are you guys trolling me :\

i entirely forgot the explosion of the sept. i was counting stannis/shireen as in the books due to the possibly fake letter, and ignored the lannisters/dorne since they're bad and squabbling with each other. the north's been totally untouched it seems. oh no, jojen + hodor died! wow.

i guess i just didn't give a poo poo about all the southern stuff going on last season even though i liked pryce, because it ended so abruptly

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 21, 2017

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's a good summary but I do take issue with one part

It's not

I can't imagine they would make a guy who has had less than even 1 full episode worth of face time during the entire series the drat King on the Iron Throne.

I was promised the death of Littlefinger, where is it. If he survives this season, I'm gonna be pissed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

i entirely forgot the explosion of the sept. i was counting stannis/shireen as in the books due to the possibly fake letter, and ignored the lannisters/dorne since they're bad and squabbling with each other. the north's been totally untouched it seems. oh no, jojen + hodor died! wow.

Ramsay, Roose and Walder Frey are the big ones I guess, also all the night's watch villains and the potato kid.

I guess in the north it's mostly just bad guys who died so in itself it's kind of out of groove with the rest of the series.

Oh, and Rickon and Osha!

Lol, Myranda.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
If I were HBO I would out like 6 different completely insane script outlines, but each of them containing one legit episode and just poo poo my pants laughing at the nerds going insane trying to figure out which combination is real and which one isn't.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the idea of GRRM feeding D&D the biggest bullshit he could come up with and they ate everything up as "shocking bullet points we got from George".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

radical meme posted:

I can't imagine they would make a guy who has had less than even 1 full episode worth of face time during the entire series the drat King on the Iron Throne.

I was promised the death of Littlefinger, where is it. If he survives this season, I'm gonna be pissed.

Next episode.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TeaJay posted:

I liked the idea of GRRM feeding D&D the biggest bullshit he could come up with and they ate everything up as "shocking bullet points we got from George".

D&D would still get the last laugh when GRRM dies of old fat man and the wet fart ending he fed them ends up being the only ending we get.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 21, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

romanowski posted:

They've been posted on basically every page of this loving thread. Are people incapable of reading?

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
My favorite part of the leaks is probably Brann getting stabbed to death after like 2 episodes, having accomplished absolutely nothing of interest despite all his screentime, and then being revived as the new Night King in the very last episode after a 3 year time skip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bikini Quilt posted:

My favorite part of the leaks is probably Brann getting stabbed to death after like 2 episodes, having accomplished absolutely nothing of interest despite all his screentime, and then being revived as the new Night King in the very last episode after a 3 year time skip.

why does there have to be a new night king? i never understood this going back through all of the goofy predictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

why does there have to be a new night king? i never understood this going back through all of the goofy predictions

Bad writers are really, really obsessed with bringing things full circle, for some reason.

• Locked thread