Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched The Belko Experiment today and it has a very Cube feel about it. I don't know why. It's nothing like Cube but it just had that Cube feel. Anyone else have that experience? Also the movie wasn't bad and I'll generally watch John C. McGinley in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Untrustable posted:

I watched The Belko Experiment today and it has a very Cube feel about it. I don't know why. It's nothing like Cube but it just had that Cube feel.

Low budget, generally mediocre, locked in a situation, punctuated by violence against fellow man.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'd say two of the three Cube movies are very good and watchable.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm surprised no one's given Cube the reboot treatment. It's something that's lingered on the cult consciousness for long enough that there's a bunch of people who are aware of it and maybe can't really be bothered to go out of their way to check it out but they might bite should they be presented with a new mainstream-ish entry point.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm sure it's probably in some form of developement right now. According to Wikipedia, Lionsgate had plans for a remake called Cubed. I'm guessing that's gone nowhere.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Untrustable posted:

I'm sure it's probably in some form of developement right now. According to Wikipedia, Lionsgate had plans for a remake called Cubed. I'm guessing that's gone nowhere.

Should've called it Cube2.

What's that you say? "Check IMDB"?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RUBIX

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
SQUARE

The world's first 2-dimensional movie! (What?)

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

RHOMBUS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

For most people, Ebert was replaced by Rotten Tomatoes. And you certainly lose a lot of nuance and intelligence in a fairly binary aggregate.
Which is a real shame, because while Ebert was a flawed human being, Rotten Tomatoes is a component of a civic religion wherein we worship capitalism via the Internet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are there any horror films which take a direction similar to You're Next, but where the killer who gets the tables turned on their head is of the supernatural sort? Like, I don't know, maybe the unsuspecting ghost didn't realize that the final girl was raised by the Ghostbusters or something

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Argue posted:

Are there any horror films which take a direction similar to You're Next, but where the killer who gets the tables turned on their head is of the supernatural sort? Like, I don't know, maybe the unsuspecting ghost didn't realize that the final girl was raised by the Ghostbusters or something

The Frightners kind of, maybe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All I can think of is the Conjuring movies, but it's not really a twist, the movie is upfront about the main characters being experienced paranormal investigators.

But now I really want to see Adam Wingard make "You're Next but Ghosts."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Argue posted:

I'd like to see something like the part from the Ennis run of Constantine where the King of Vampires tries to drink John's blood and gets his throat Drano'd by the demon blood Nergal pumped into him twenty story arcs and about three author/artist teams ago, just in time for the sun to come up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd like to see something like the part from the Ennis run of Constantine where the King of Vampires tries to drink John's blood and gets his throat Drano'd by the demon blood Nergal pumped into him twenty story arcs and about three author/artist teams ago, just in time for the sun to come up.

I still think the Constantine film with Keanu Reeves is a solid action/horror flick even if it's not faithful to the comics. Just pretend it's not an adaptation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

chitoryu12 posted:

I still think the Constantine film with Keanu Reeves is a solid action/horror flick even if it's not faithful to the comics. Just pretend it's not an adaptation.

That's what I did, and I enjoyed it.

It's basically a Keanu Reeves movie which happens to crib a lot of bits from Hellblazer.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Peter Stormare makes a great Satan in that film, too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

I’m a fan of Tilda Swinton in it. She’s pretty otherworldly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a foolish pianist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvROISVUdKE

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

DrNutt posted:

Yeah the lady who played Pamela Voorhees really deserved a bunch of hate mail/concern trolling from upset conservatives mad about the violence and it was really responsible and cool for Ebert to encourage that poo poo.

Adrienne King had a stalker harrass her in real life for a few years after she starred in F13.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Argue posted:

Slaughter High

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZm5IuRts1o

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nth-ing the opinion that Cold Hell is very very good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Low budget, generally mediocre, locked in a situation, punctuated by violence against fellow man.

Cube is not a mediocre film.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

Yeah the lady who played Pamela Voorhees really deserved a bunch of hate mail/concern trolling from upset conservatives mad about the violence and it was really responsible and cool for Ebert to encourage that poo poo.

It's absolutely fair to disagree and take issue with his chosen form of protest regardless, but the general attitude I pick up from folks disgruntled with the whole slasher controversy (and I sense some of this in your post) is that they were mostly prudish, disingenuous stick-in-the-muds who were overreacting because they were just so stuffy they couldn't handle that a lot of people loved something that they really hated.

Maybe there was some of that going on, but the alarm over the slasher film transcended political ideologies and personality types, and you can definitely tell Siskel and Ebert weren't just doing this because they simply hated it, they legitimately thought that major studios investing millions into (what they saw as) simulated snuff films that were topping the weekend box office charts was a portentous social problem.

A few pages back we had some posters encouraging others to skip the next Phantasm flick because it sounded like it was going to be an obscene race-baiting exploitation fare. I have a feeling if I were to doxx the filmmaker's home addresses and invited goons to write them nasty letters there wouldn't be the same sympathy that folks are giving the crew of Friday the 13th.

"But that's different," you're thinking - and you're right. The difference is that we find that to be a disgusting and alarming-enough thing worthy of such a provocative reaction. Whether or not the higher-profile members of the Friday the 13th crew deserved to get hate mail sent to their personal mailboxes rests entirely on if you think they were doing something truly reprehensible and socially reckless - Siskel and Ebert genuinely thought yes, what they were doing was that bad and yes they deserved to be heckled for it.

(This is of course giving them the benefit of the doubt that their primary motivation was to get filmmakers to reconsider and stop what they're doing rather than just getting petty revenge, but Siskel and Ebert seemed flexible enough I'm comfortable granting that).

lizardman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 14, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Pretty sure you mean Puppet Master, although if there ever is another Phantasm movie people should probably also skip that one for completely different reasons.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^OOPS. Yeah I always get those titles mixed up. I'll leave it up there because that post deserves to have some self-deprecating levity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Cube is not a mediocre film.

Neither is Belko Experiment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Neither is Belko Experiment.

Part of me wants to watch The Belko Experiment again because it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be, and I was sitting there waiting for it to turn into this imaginary movie that doesn't exist and it never did.

But the ideas are interesting, i.e. that you could probably predict which people in your office would be the ones taking control of the gun safe by force and literally putting people up against the wall for execution. I do like that it's not a movie where everyone just goes nuts, each office "type" is represented and acts in interesting ways based on that type.

I can't say I had a lot of fun watching it though, and throw in my resentment about Michael Rooker buying it so early, and the movie really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Part of me wants to watch The Belko Experiment again because it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be, and I was sitting there waiting for it to turn into this imaginary movie that doesn't exist and it never did.

But the ideas are interesting, i.e. that you could probably predict which people in your office would be the ones taking control of the gun safe by force and literally putting people up against the wall for execution. I do like that it's not a movie where everyone just goes nuts, each office "type" is represented and acts in interesting ways based on that type.

I can't say I had a lot of fun watching it though, and throw in my resentment about Michael Rooker buying it so early, and the movie really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think the Michael Rooker death is one of the best parts of the movie. It's frustrating that we don't get more Michael Rooker, especially with how charming his character is, but his death hits hard because he is killed for being a paternal voice of reason to his co-worker who he treats like a son more than a protege. Instead of being able to control his "son" or to protect him or lead them to safety, his "son" murders him in a fit of confused paranoid rage at the situation that they have been presented with. Then there's a weird shift where the son then tries to kill a girl who accidentally witnessed the murder. It's no longer a child pushed into murdering his father, it's no longer a kill-or-be-killed scenario. The "son"s freak-out is not that he is going to be killed, or that he was in immediate danger; it's that he was presented with an opportunity to kill, an opportunity to act animalistic, and his freak-out is in not knowing how to handle it. His solution to being caught murdering is not to feel remorse for his actions, but to keep killing those around him that now know he's a murderer, and that he's always been capable of such a thing.

It's an incredibly nihilistic movie, made worse that it perfectly captures the underlying factors that create the issues we are currently facing: the survival-of-the-fittest "gently caress You, Got Mine" mentality, the inescapable dangers of unbalanced powers, tribalism, that a voice of reason in a bleak situation is powerless without actively fighting back, that it's easier to follow a leader towards death and destruction than it is to be an individual fighting for what's right, etc. It's analogies work well with politics, with capitalism, with marxism, with anarchy, with religion, etc. It's a downer.

One of the best parts of the movie, what sets it apart from similar films, is that we follow a character on the first day of her job. She seems to have an angel on her shoulder that carries her safely through every situation. She should, by all means, be free to walk away from this horrible situation. She witnesses horrific murders all around her. And finally, at the end, she exits an elevator to walk out the front door and gets shot right in the head. There are no rewards to inaction in this situation. Complicity is it's own crime, and she pays the price for it. Again, bleak and mean, but that's the ride.

edit 2: Also, it's barely over 90 minutes long, which is pretty much perfect for the premise.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 14, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

lizardman posted:

It's absolutely fair to disagree and take issue with his chosen form of protest regardless, but the general attitude I pick up from folks disgruntled with the whole slasher controversy (and I sense some of this in your post) is that they were mostly prudish, disingenuous stick-in-the-muds who were overreacting because they were just so stuffy they couldn't handle that a lot of people loved something that they really hated.

Maybe there was some of that going on, but the alarm over the slasher film transcended political ideologies and personality types, and you can definitely tell Siskel and Ebert weren't just doing this because they simply hated it, they legitimately thought that major studios investing millions into (what they saw as) simulated snuff films that were topping the weekend box office charts was a portentous social problem.
What surprises me is that Ebert would talk about how one appeal of horror movies is that it's fun to be scared, but apparently saw these movies in terms of adults inflicting acts of cruelty upon children. He didn't seem to understand how these movies lampoon the way adults try to control children by blowing every risk out of proportion.

He also said NOES 3 "never generated any sympathy for its characters" which, just, I don't even know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm putting decade lists together in preparation for October because I'm going to go decade by decade and (mostly)randomly select like 5-10 films to represent each decade as the month goes on.

Any additions to these would be appreciated, these two are pretty thin so please fill in any gaps that you see and I'll happily add them.

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-1930s/

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-1940s/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

The third short from the first VHS, Tuesday the 17th, but only kind of.

The premise of the piece is that the final girl from a prior supernatural slasher rampage goes back to the woods where it happened with a bunch of horny teens on purpose and Predator-style traps set to bait and kill the monster. She loses in the end, though.

Your post is infuriating because I feel like there must be examples of it, but I just can't think of them offhand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm putting decade lists together in preparation for October because I'm going to go decade by decade and (mostly)randomly select like 5-10 films to represent each decade as the month goes on.

Any additions to these would be appreciated, these two are pretty thin so please fill in any gaps that you see and I'll happily add them.

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-1930s/

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-1940s/

Good luck with that I tried to do that last year and uh it did not work out

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Good luck with that I tried to do that last year and uh it did not work out

What were the pitfalls so maybe I can make it work.

I plan to keep things loose, if I've watched 5 or 6 films from the 40's and I'm ready to move on, that's what I'll do. And I fully expect to watch like 15 movies from the 80's because of course I will.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lizardman posted:

A few pages back we had some posters encouraging others to skip the next Phantasm flick because it sounded like it was going to be an obscene race-baiting exploitation fare. I have a feeling if I were to doxx the filmmaker's home addresses and invited goons to write them nasty letters there wouldn't be the same sympathy that folks are giving the crew of Friday the 13th.

"But that's different," you're thinking - and you're right. The difference is that we find that to be a disgusting and alarming-enough thing worthy of such a provocative reaction. Whether or not the higher-profile members of the Friday the 13th crew deserved to get hate mail sent to their personal mailboxes rests entirely on if you think they were doing something truly reprehensible and socially reckless - Siskel and Ebert genuinely thought yes, what they were doing was that bad and yes they deserved to be heckled for it.

(This is of course giving them the benefit of the doubt that their primary motivation was to get filmmakers to reconsider and stop what they're doing rather than just getting petty revenge, but Siskel and Ebert seemed flexible enough I'm comfortable granting that).

Naw. You don't doxx someone because they made a film. Period.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

lizardman posted:

To preface slightly, I'm anti-doxxing in general because I did once have a self-published wannabe horror writer who insisted he was the second coming of Poe and Lovecraft get pissed off at me enough to go tracking down where I lived. He never right out said my address, but he listed off quite a few places that were within a couple blocks of my home. That was enough for me since the dude is known to have severe mental issues and capable of who knows what, my kids were still little, we had pets, and my then husband is crazy/drunk enough beat someone bloody and not care about jail time. All that for calling someone a no talent hack.

So to me while writing a letter to call someone a piece of poo poo for making a particular movie is on the low end of the scale, once that home address is out there, you really don't know what someone will do with it. People have been stalked to the point of needing police protection or needing to move, some have to change their phone number multiple times, others have lost jobs or worse. As far as the Puppet Master example goes, go ahead and write a letter on paper to the studio. They get enough physical letters they can't excuse as bot written emails, they're going to have to take things serious, and there's my favorite of hitting them in the profit line of spending no money on it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lizardman posted:

Ebert calmed down a bit as he aged, especially after his surgeries (why just look at that glowing 2* review of the Friday the 13th remake!). I think being on television and being in a show that felt like sort of a competition between himself and Siskel maybe encouraged more outsized opinions and reactions to things, especially to things he didn't like/thought were bad. I think losing his voice and gaining a new one on the internet gave him an extra bit of empathy that maybe didn't exist during his heyday in the 1980s.

FWIW i think Ebert is one of the most important film writers of the last 50 years, even if there are plenty of times where I definitely don't agree with his tastes. I think now that he's gone the general opinion on the work of a film critic is either "give me an objective measurement of how a movie is, ala Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes" or "they love snooty art films and hate *insert film I liked here*". (not that people didn't think that about Roger too, but I think the level of trust people had in Roger Ebert has never and probably will never be matched in another critic again)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I really wish he'd named names in that article he wrote about how he's sick of movies that were obviously made by people on coke.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember hating Siskel and Ebert because they gave a bad review to The Jetsons movie. I don’t think they doxxed anyone involved though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ebert's the only critic I know that repeatedly admitted entering a movies with a bias, like with the Friday the 13th films or David Lynch films, which I think is worth something.