Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can't really call concept cars production designs

but yeah bmws design team couldnt find their own rear end with a mirror and a stick

Its probably Stockholm syndrome for me at this point, but the more I look at the Neue Klasse concept the more I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I agree that it looks pretty good but it will never see the light of day

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Were you talking about the Kias before? I think those are pretty close to production because this is what the EV9 loks like

As for Neue Klasse, yeah, I dunno, it's really out there for BMW so I'm a bit skeptical they'll stick to those designs. They tried going with something fresh with the i3/8 and then immediately chickened out.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I guess different strokes for different folks but I hate how all those kias look, as bad as the beaver bmws, but at least those have the rear 3/4 to save them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Speaking of EV SUVs..

quote:

Alfa Romeo will in 2027 launch a large electric SUV, pitched against the BMW iX, the Lotus Eletre, the next-generation Porsche Cayenne and a promised new model from Alpine.

Occupying the E-segment, it will follow a replacement for the Stelvio SUV in the class below, Alfa Romeo CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato told Autocar.

It will be “higher” than Alfa’s previous E-segment offering, the 166 saloon of 1998-2007, said Imparato. However, it will be lower than traditional SUVs in the segment, in a bid to boost aerodynamic efficiency and provide engaging dynamics.
Related articles

It will be based on the same EV-only STLA Large platform as the next Stelvio and the Giulia saloon’s replacement. This new platform has been designed to suit the kinds of cars offered by Stellantis’s premium brands (Alfa, DS, Lancia and Maserati).

Its 800V electrical architecture enables ultra rapid charging, so a substantial chunk of the new Alfa SUV’s long range – up to 500 miles – could be replenished in less than 30 minutes by the most powerful public chargers.

The biggest car to wear Alfa’s famous ‘scudetto’ shield grille will be sold in Europe, but the key markets for it are the US and China, said Imparato.

“If I stay [just] in Western Europe, I will never [build the car], because the volumes are small and because I don’t know how the segment will evolve,” he explained. Using the STLA Large platform gives Alfa the option to fit up to three motors to its new SUV – a layout that has already been associated with a 1000bhp-plus Quadrifoglio performance version of the forthcoming electric Giulia.

The SUV will also come with Tesla-rivalling levels of digital functionality, thanks to Stellantis’s new STLA Brain electronic architecture, which will allow the option of handsfree driving as well as a far more intuitive infotainment interface than that in current Alfa models.

However, Alfa said that, despite it being able to pick from a full range of software-powered options, its future cars will be focused far more on the handling and driving experience than flashy tech. “The drivability of the car, that’s where I put the energy,” said Imparato.

Despite the switch to an EV-specific platform removing the constraints of combustion-drivetrain proportions, Alfa feels it’s important to retain the traditional rear-wheel-drive visual focus of its larger cars.

“I think an Alfa Romeo is a driver’s car. We have to put emphasis in the rear muscles so it really looks rear-wheel drive,” design chief Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos told Autocar.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-electric-suv?fbclid=IwAR3dRGZjQjxnQECglaTnJsRnibDsQ-2dhaCoqcQ6ZRPlnxhllmtzLUHWMxA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Were you talking about the Kias before? I think those are pretty close to production because this is what the EV9 loks like

As for Neue Klasse, yeah, I dunno, it's really out there for BMW so I'm a bit skeptical they'll stick to those designs. They tried going with something fresh with the i3/8 and then immediately chickened out.

to be fair the i3 was very ugly. and yeah i was talking about the Neue Klasse

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

For some reason my brain read that as ‘speaking of evil suvs’

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

When I was out driving yesterday I saw a camouflaged SUV thing. It looked like every other boxy SUV so I didn't bother getting better pictures.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gangringo posted:

When I was out driving yesterday I saw a camouflaged SUV thing. It looked like every other boxy SUV so I didn't bother getting better pictures.

Gotta be some Japanese import. It doesn’t follow any current big three lines on the hood

e: my guess would be Nissan Armada. They haven’t had a new model since 2017 and already use quarter panel vents. The Sequoia was my other guess, but 23 was already a redesign.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 15, 2023

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That’s the 2024 Giant Piece of poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Gotta be some Japanese import. It doesn’t follow any current big three lines on the hood

e: my guess would be Nissan Armada. They haven’t had a new model since 2017 and already use quarter panel vents. The Sequoia was my other guess, but 23 was already a redesign.

I was thinking Infiniti, the QX80 has what I assume are fake vents over the front wheel like that. But now that I look at Nissan's site, as does the Armada.

Eyud posted:

But really it's this :hmmyes:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Eyud posted:

:lol:

You ain't wrong.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I was going to say infiniti QX but tomato tomahto

Eyud posted:

:hmmyes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheBacon posted:

I was going to say infiniti QX but tomato tomahto

Surely you mean potato potato

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yes yes, my bad my b

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

More like poo-tato

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I agree it looks like a big Nissan/Infiniti SUV for sure

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Eyud posted:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Eyud posted:

Read about a new car? That’s the 2024 Giant Piece of poo poo

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s crazy how little of that rear window area is actually window. This things gonna have blind spots as big as the moon.

I don’t buy the idea that it’s anything but a terrible design choice. If the A pillar is big enough to support the roofline (on rollover) at a 60 degree angle, there’s no way the near vertical D pillar couldn’t be as small as or smaller.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s crazy how little of that rear window area is actually window. This things gonna have blind spots as big as the moon.

I don’t buy the idea that it’s anything but a terrible design choice. If the A pillar is big enough to support the roofline (on rollover) at a 60 degree angle, there’s no way the near vertical D pillar couldn’t be as small as or smaller.

My guess that would be their size works in conjunction with one another. If X is the total thickness required to support the weight, the D-pillar is maybe 75% of that and the A-pillar is 25% because you spend a lot more time looking forward than backwards, so why make them 50-50 :shrug:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I don’t think that’s how it works, but it’s a… unique concept

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can just watch on your 360 camera as your run over the children behind.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It's maybe possible to manufacture the wide C-pillars out of cheaper steel.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
New car trivia that I want to know the answer to: Is there any car in the US market where a manual transmission is cheaper, more efficient, and faster? In the heady days of 2015 Consumer Reports found several models of car where that was still true: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm

quote:

On the other hand, the Chevrolet Sonic got better mileage with its six-speed manual transmission, even with its turbocharged engine, than it did with the base engine and six-speed automatic transmission. (The basic Sonic we tested was a sedan; the turbocharged, manual-transmission LTZ was a hatchback.) Cheaper cars, such as the Hyundai Accent and Mazda2, all got better mileage with a stick shift.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Twerk from Home posted:

New car trivia that I want to know the answer to: Is there any car in the US market where a manual transmission is cheaper, more efficient, and faster? In the heady days of 2015 Consumer Reports found several models of car where that was still true: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm

Probably not, those cars probably had lovely torque converter autos that manuals are better than. Now a manual has become a prestige enthusiast feature and most models that offer one also probably have more advanced DCTs or something as the auto option that give better numbers.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Depends if you mean in the real world or EPA ratings.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on the test cycle too. Going by WLTP numbers most manual VWs are ever so slightly more efficient than their DSG equivalents.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

WRX comes to mind, because the automatic option is a CVT taken from an Ascent.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Eyud posted:

Combining 16mpg and a two star driver crash test rating takes some talent really, you'd think they could use some of the mass for crumple zones or whatever but nooope.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Gangringo posted:

I love how they're all obsessed with camouflage to the point of taping trash bags over it and you can still identify it in like 30 seconds.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I have a hard time understanding why pillars must be so massive on modern cars when my old saab with it's slimmer pillars can hold the roof up even if the car is dropped from a height, nevermind a rollover. That car btw is so great to reverse in because it gives such a good feel of where all the car is, my Yaris feels clumsier to navigate in despite being smaller.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a hard time understanding why pillars must be so massive on modern cars when my old saab with it's slimmer pillars can hold the roof up even if the car is dropped from a height, nevermind a rollover. That car btw is so great to reverse in because it gives such a good feel of where all the car is, my Yaris feels clumsier to navigate in despite being smaller.

It may relate to other things like storing side-cushion air bags or other safety gear. Or they made roll-over crush standards higher so the old thinner pillars don't pass anymore. Or maybe both, or neither.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CMD598 posted:

I love how they're all obsessed with camouflage to the point of taping trash bags over it and you can still identify it in like 30 seconds.

It's usually not about not identifying the car at all. Usually it's to obscure design decisions that haven't been finalized - so the car is wearing weird cobbled-together sheet metal or has a random other tail light jammed in to a misfitting opening, or the build quality is kind of nasty because it's a handbuilt preproduction car. You don't want someone seeing mad panel gaps and lovely incoherent design language on a clearly Infiniti preproduction vehicle - you want to have them see that once it hits showrooms! :v:

In some cases it's about getting people hype about spy photos, especially in the case of new performance cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

It may relate to other things like storing side-cushion air bags or other safety gear. Or they made roll-over crush standards higher so the old thinner pillars don't pass anymore. Or maybe both, or neither.

both. i mean it doesn't explain why specific car X pillar Y is the size it is, but over time roll-over standards have gotten more stringent and there is a lot more stuff in the pillars.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's weird that the pillars and window sills are so high on my Focus that the vis is not great. I think they knew this as the side mirrors come with little trucker blindspot mirrors lol

Hopefully all those airbags and metal give me a snowball's chance in hell when I am side-impacted by some dipshit driving an F150 RESPECT THE FLAG Edition while distracted by a touchscreen or something

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Mini just brought their manual back after supply chain problems, so that's one.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Failson posted:

Mini just brought their manual back after supply chain problems, so that's one.

There was a temporary pause in MINI manual transmission production during the supply chain shortages due to having to narrow down option lists after their wiring harness supplier in Ukraine was impacted by the start of the war. They were given the option of having their normal assortment of wiring harnesses at a severely limited quantity or fewer configurations and a higher volume. You can guess which option they went with.

It is also slower 0-60 and worse on fuel efficiency than the 7 speed DCT

That said after the 2024 model year manual transmissions are well and truly gone from MINI's lineup. The new interior on the new generation has no accommodation for any sort of shifter. The automatic shifter is now a switch on the dash.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dissss posted:

Depends on the test cycle too. Going by WLTP numbers most manual VWs are ever so slightly more efficient than their DSG equivalents.

Manuals have traditionally been more efficient at the official ratings. Makes sense when it's the factory test driver shifting versus a computer. But I wouldn't be surprised if a computerized automatic has been better than the average driver for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

There was a temporary pause in MINI manual transmission production during the supply chain shortages due to having to narrow down option lists after their wiring harness supplier in Ukraine was impacted by the start of the war. They were given the option of having their normal assortment of wiring harnesses at a severely limited quantity or fewer configurations and a higher volume. You can guess which option they went with.

It is also slower 0-60 and worse on fuel efficiency than the 7 speed DCT

That said after the 2024 model year manual transmissions are well and truly gone from MINI's lineup. The new interior on the new generation has no accommodation for any sort of shifter. The automatic shifter is now a switch on the dash.

Shows how out-of-touch I am! Thought mini was still using a traditional torque-converter automatic, not a DCT.