Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not quite the magnum opus that was his Bezos video, but still some drat fine nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KingKalamari posted:

I have never understood the adult YA fandom that sprung up post-Harry Potter. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with adults reading fiction aimed at a younger audience, I mean I'm making my way through The Chronicles of Prydain as we speak, but I don't understand this movement of grown adults who make reading this stuff their whole deal. I just feels like pigeonholing one's own experience.

They're Disney Adults for one property.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kor posted:

in what world is high school shakespeare going to be a person's introduction to literature, who could possibly be having that experience. even in the most bottom tier US school districts, kids are going to be given reading in elementary and middle school. like there are tons of issues with how kids are taught literacy and then how books are assigned and used in schools, but "if shakespeare was my intro to lit i wouldn't be a reader" seems like a wild thing to say.

Kor posted:

i think your definition of reading vs. literature is super weird. i can’t speak to your school experience obviously, but my public school in bumfuck missouri definitely had us reading dickens, poe, and mark twain by the 8th grade. english class wasn’t just grammar and mechanics until we suddenly got thrown romeo & juliet freshman year.

They're saying that if they were first introduced to reading via Shakespeare at like, 6/7 whenever Kindergarten accepts kids they wouldn't have bothered with reading in general. Much in the same way that if your first experience with a dog was seeing a 2 minute youtube video of one running around and then the next step was hauling around 20 lb bags of dog food around and stocking shelves.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Day[9] talks about his cat's broken pathfinding.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

grade school lit classes should start with choose your own adventure books and then go from there

whenever the scholastic book fair happened i always beelined for the CYOA books

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New Bobby Fingers just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIEPKEhE2s

E: also here's a new video from Adam Savage's Tested which may be somewhat relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigcQMUbbZ0
..... and a new video from the Slow Mo Guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9i9rwg1L_A

Came to share the vid, get the rest of my evening decided instead.

Skippy McPants posted:

Not quite the magnum opus that was his Bezos video, but still some drat fine nonsense.

I'm going to have to rewatch that, I always thought Michael Jackson's Hair On Fire was the best one comfortably. Maybe I just really like dioramas.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, we studied one Shakespeare play per year in my high school English classes and they didn't really gel with me until we studied Macbeth in 11th grade. I think the big thing that helped me understand Shakespeare was actually being involved in a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream that same year - That was also the play we studied in 9th grade, but actually performing it gave me a way better understanding of what the entire story's deal actually was. I think that's kind of the key thing - These works are plays that are meant to be performed and my English classes always started by having us read and analyze the play, then we'd watch a movie based on it, when I think it works much better if done the other way so the kids have proper context for how this weird, archaic dialogue is meant to be said.

Seeing or doing a performance of a Shakespeare play definitely bridges the early modern language gap of the dialog. I think we first did Shakespeare in 8th grade drama class? It was a version of Romeo & Juliet with adjusted dialog to make things easier for tweens to understand, and we also acted out scenes from it. I liked reading Shakespeare plays, even in the old-timey language when that started in high school, but I'm also a nerd and the only book I remember disliking much was Great Expectations because Pip is a tool. Still read it all the way through because Dickens knows how to write a good mystery and an intriguing world.

Maybe some of that was lucking out with teachers not hefting these books around with great import, just appreciating them for being good windows into other worlds, compelling stories, or worthwhile commentaries on stuff. My favorite book we read in high school was Slaughterhouse-Five, I'd say.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dickens is awful because his works are all schlock and contrivance and then he hits you with some of the most beautiful writing you've ever seen. It's like if Tarkovsky directed an episode of Suits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

By most metrics, youth reading for pleasure has plummeted since the 2000s in the USA back to ~80s levels. The Harry Potter bump was a fleeting phenomenon.
ehhh... those polls generally make the big sexy number 'reading every day' which feels like a big ask in 2024 even for fairly voracious readers. the amount who say they 'never, or barely ever' read for pleasure is only 20%ish, depending on age range and gender.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

I have never understood the adult YA fandom that sprung up post-Harry Potter. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with adults reading fiction aimed at a younger audience, I mean I'm making my way through The Chronicles of Prydain as we speak, but I don't understand this movement of grown adults who make reading this stuff their whole deal. I just feels like pigeonholing one's own experience.
ya lit has managed to find itself a marketing niche of morality or representation. ie: 'this book is about a GAY ELF.' obviously theres nothing wrong with writing a book about a gay elf but the marketing spin has turned it into more of a like, status symbol type thing. you dont read it to read it, you read it because the gay elf has made you a better person.

https://tasker.land/2023/06/13/the-material-basis-for-cozy-horror/

this is about that Cozy Horror discourse from last year but contains a decent analysis of it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm sure everybody is hankering for more Diablo 4 critique so here's Jimmy McGee with two hours of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkwx-HVVGbs
But it is a good one and his previous videos on the more depressive video game topics (crypto games, AI, pay-to-win in general) are great too. Mostly just a bummer!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My main takeaway from lit chat is that marketing sucks whether it's teachers selling students on Shakespeare or actual marketing departments telling you that reading this YA series is important because it discusses topics that Really Matter (tm).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Angryhead posted:

I'm sure everybody is hankering for more Diablo 4 critique so here's Jimmy McGee with two hours of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkwx-HVVGbs
But it is a good one and his previous videos on the more depressive video game topics (crypto games, AI, pay-to-win in general) are great too. Mostly just a bummer!

"Diablo 3 sucks".

That opening minute has me sold.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still to this day struggle to understand how A River Runs Through It managed to make its way into HS literary canon and why anybody ever though Transcendentalism was a movement worth covering in any more depth besides a paragraph synopsis of "this is what it was, this is why it happened, next."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Endorph posted:

ya lit has managed to find itself a marketing niche of morality or representation. ie: 'this book is about a GAY ELF.' obviously theres nothing wrong with writing a book about a gay elf but the marketing spin has turned it into more of a like, status symbol type thing. you dont read it to read it, you read it because the gay elf has made you a better person.

this is about that Cozy Horror discourse from last year but contains a decent analysis of it.

A few things the topics discussed in this article remind me of:

1.The modern understanding of "genre" as popularized by places like TV Tropes in which genre refers not to literary movements and the works of connected peers who are influenced by one another, but instead as a system of categorizing media based on common signifiers and aesthetics and how this approach has more recently crystallized into the online concept of "aesthetics". It's ultimately an understanding of media born from marketing and the sort of forces that shape our increasingly algorithm-controlled media landscape. I thin Lily Alexandre did a pretty good examination of this stuff in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMjxxzq88R0
2. This unintentionally hilarious article from 1981 by Charles Platt about how the rise of the fantasy genre following the success of The Lord of the Rings was KILLING and DEBASSING the noble genre of escapist adventure fiction. The article is all pretty standard "Old Man Yells at Cloud" stuff, but what makes it especially hilarious is that the article was published in an issue of Heavy Metal Magazine because, y'know, if anyone's going to agree with this guy's weird vendetta against Tolkien it'd be the readership of a horny fantasy comics magazine...

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
thats some sick inking

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh man, I was so excited to see this Game Grumps video appear in my feed. Smack Studios is such a conceptually phenomenal idea that I've been following for years but it has never really gotten much coverage. it's a tiny studio making a smash clone(smash-em-up?), but the twist is that you create your own character. and when I say you create your own character, I mean you really, really CREATE it. you can take a static sprite, split it up into pieces, stitch'em together, and it'll interpolate them to be fully animated. and if you have shots from multiple "angles", you can have it create a 3D representation of the character from a 2D sprite, which is wild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUks4wuYkUU

so anyways they put the Game Grumps in it and they played it and I think this is by far the biggest coverage the game has gotten, so grats to the devs. I don't think the game is perfect, it's definitely got issues, but the very idea of it is so wild that I can't not respect it. They fight each other, they fight Godzilla versus Clippy, they fight a washing machine versus a flamin' hot cheeto, and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BiF7Yf14rg&hd=1

also "you fuckin' slur" just as an insult itself is really something else lol

TheMightyBoops posted:

Also reading seems fairly popular right now?
you're reading...RIGHT NOW!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

that's also why I think off-genre and gimmick covers deserve to exist, they often expose people to the much-better originals.
thinking about it, I feel like I am much more likely to get invested in a piece of music if I have something to attach it to. a game I enjoyed, a video I watched, an important life moment, something like that. just listening to a random piece of music, it has to REALLY click with me for it to stick, but if there's an extra piece of media it's part of, it's much more likely to stay with me.

like, one of my favorite songs ever, Sail On by Masterplan, I found through a nicely edited One Piece AMV a long, long time ago. And through it, I found the rest of their music, which I liked a few others of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-NhI5JvqI

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 15, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
works can be good by virtue of themselves

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
and often are i should say

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm glad Bobby Fingers has evidently drawn enough Patreon support to keep going but I hope collaborating with Savage and the SlowMo Guys turns into a big follower boost, such professional longform content deserves eyes on it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's like if Tarkovsky directed an episode of Suits.
Hahahahsshsiiiiit.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

That's a pretty piss poor material history of Science Fiction at the start of the essay. Notable because it hardly talks about the material history and is mostly a history of ideas/aesthetics. Can't imagine reading something as reductive as "there were engineering magazines that published stories and then they failed and then there was the new wave and afterwards, successively, feminist science fiction, cyberpunk, and the star wars extended universe" and nodding my head and agreeing that the author's material analysis bonafides have been proven.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 15, 2024

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

fez_machine posted:

That's a pretty piss poor material history of Science Fiction at the start of the essay. Notable because it hardly talks about the material history and is mostly a history of ideas/aesthetics. Can't imagine reading something as reductive as "there were engineering magazines that published stories and then they failed and then there was the new wave and afterwards, successively, feminist science fiction, cyberpunk, and the star wars extended universe" and nodding my head and agreeing that the author's material analysis bonafides have been proven.

Yeah, that stood out for me as well, and I think the author kind of shows their lack of authority on the topic near the end when they say...

quote:

I admit that I have no dogs in this particular fight… I am not an author and I do not spend much time talking to fans of either SFF or Horror.

"I'm not an author nor do I spend much time talking to fans of SFF or horror, but I am going to speak authoritatively about these people's experience!"

I think there's a cogent point in the article about the use of genre as branding/marketing device, but it's a bit undermined by the writer getting some very basic facts about the history of the genre space wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the history stuff is a bit wack but the points about the social dynamics are broadly right

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's a lot that I broadly agree with, the emphasis on new poo poo over the bad old stuff being a corrosive perspective, the hypocrisy of many of the most strident voices, the demographic shift in science fiction and fantasy readers. But the fine detail is off-base.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think the author read a description of Science and Invention magazine and then just assumed Amazing Stories was the same magazine or at least very similar.

They also assign an outsized influence to blogs, but given this is on their own blog it tracks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The topic has long since moved past this but still Giant Robo's ost is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8C4NkOV5Kg

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Endorph posted:

Unrelated to anything else, but I enjoyed reading this man's funny little blog. It's kinda neat reading perspectives from somebody who has been in the TTRPG hobby for a while and trends towards the spirit of old-school stuff but without being a grognard or exclusionary weirdo about it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Runa posted:

The topic has long since moved past this but still Giant Robo's ost is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8C4NkOV5Kg

The song that plays when Youshi and Issei arrive to help fight Alberto is still 10 outta 10 in my heart. Also the intro song for the final ep leading into Chuujou's Big Bang Punch is just chef's kiss

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Late to the first album party but I mostly grew up on Mandarin pop with Michael Jackson being my only real Western listen, so I listened to a lot of Lin Jin Jue and Guang Liang as a kid.

The first Western album that really got me was Death Cab For Cutie's Transatlanticism. Still a top tier banger of an album.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skippy McPants posted:

We should also note that he really did write an entire romance novel for this episode and the audiobook version (narrated by BF himself) is 4.5 hours long and the print version is 233 pages long. :eyepop:
https://linktr.ee/bobbyfingers

.... so there's a lot more content if you want to follow up on it :v:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Some "data" driven explorations of how Skyrim's NPCs interact with the player character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluZ2ipnEoU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of the weirder things regarding "cozy" material is that you can somewhat tell that the state government is aware of the appeal of that and will try to go for documentaries on the second channel and subsidze an oldies channel while the privately owned media is really weirdly aloof about it. So when Bluey-Mania hit our shores, the reaction towards "Here's this very low stakes media for kids that happens to sometimes talk about adult stuff" was just seen as a weird trendy thing that pops on newspapers or being said as "If you like animation as a medium, you're going to love Bluey" by one of the two major nerd figures in tv rather than "We must appeal to this... "cozy" demographic."

Dutch Pancake figures out how to open that one door in Mario 64.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think if any adult has an opinion on bluey beyond 'this is decently executed animation for babies' or 'my baby likes it' they should be executed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Endorph posted:

i think if any adult has an opinion on bluey beyond 'this is decently executed animation for babies' or 'my baby likes it' they should be executed

Nah there's a bunch of stuff in it that is really easy for parents to relate to.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah there's a bunch of stuff in it that is really easy for parents to relate to.

:sigh::blaster:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

that falls under the former. i mostly just mean all the stuff like, 'bluey is a deep exploration of and cure for modern american malaise' or w/e.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Endorph posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Middleaged men writing essays about childrens cartoons that teach four year olds to share their toys or be nice to their friends ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
these sound like opinions on bluey. prepare to die fools