Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
anything that spreads the goatseman is good in my book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I want a first person builder/survival game but I've tried

Minecraft
Ark
Conan
Icarus
Rust

and none are really super great with soloing, expecting you to play with a group of people

Is there something similar but fully soloable?

7 days to die?

Maybe Valheim? Although that may not be first person, I can't remember.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

took another peek at the demos in the queue/out already for next fest on the 13th

Foretales is a notable one that I think got previewed at either a Nintendo Indie World or a The MiX showcase
KreatureKind was shown in a Wholesome Direct I think (i'm just going off of spotty memory here, 2021 was thirty years ago, after all)
Ripout -- I forget if I mentioned this one yesterday but it's a shooter with 3D Realms attached so I assume it's gonna pop up in an E3 indie event
Paradise Marsh - a bug catching game that I expect will show up in the 2022 Wholesome Direct (i'm not gonna get into the messy optics/politics of "wholesome", this is just a vibe check from what i've seen of past WDs)

there's nowhere near the full selection yet, i think some devs might be waiting for a specific event to happen, or are just going to wait until the day before/of Next Fest before releasing their demo

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

Laughing as a whole new generation learns what the goatman did to an anus via this alert going out and googling the name

I've always been a little confused by the popularity of Rickrolling when goatse exists and filled that "gotcha" niche very nicely for the early internet. It also involves causing trauma, which in my estimation is the measure of a prank.

Rickrolling seems like a party thrown by a church on Halloween to keep kids from having fun.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If people are itching for demoes Orx can be played right now and I thought it was really drat good. It's real time tower defense + deck builder + carcassonne. I will definitely be buying it when it's out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BrianRx posted:

I've always been a little confused by the popularity of Rickrolling when goatse exists and filled that "gotcha" niche very nicely for the early internet. It also involves causing trauma, which in my estimation is the measure of a prank.

Rickrolling seems like a party thrown by a church on Halloween to keep kids from having fun.

well linking to rick astley probably doesn't get you permabanned from the world of warcraft forums

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well linking to rick astley probably doesn't get you permabanned from the world of warcraft forums

I think they were asking for reasons Rickrolling was better than Goatse.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember a coworker actually printing off a picture of goatse (among other things) and putting it in one of my notebooks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Subnautica? If you don't mind the theme, it doesn't even have a multiplayer option.

I tried subnautica and it was okay, maybe the survival aspects were a little overtuned for me, and some of the "collect resources to get resources to automate resources" required a little too much fiddling for me

Radiation Cow posted:

Vintage Story

very minecrafty, I'd have to try it

OgNar posted:

7 Days to Die is always the answer.
Difficulty/XP/loot abundance is fully configurable and you can even go so far to turn off its name sake and not even have a 7 day horde making it basically a dungeon crawler/builder.

$25 is a bit high for an impulse buy, and I generally speaking don't like zombies

is there a goon crew? maybe I could suck it up and just play with someone on the regular

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember a coworker actually printing off a picture of goatse (among other things) and putting it in one of my notebooks.

Did it help with the note taking?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to get back into Subnatica, but that would require me to work up the courage to finally go and explore The Scary Place.

Honestly, I wish there were more games like it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

There is a console command for Subnautica that turns off enemy aggression for whatever that's worth to you.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I loved Subnautica but after about halfway through the game I used the mod a added the map in-game (not fully revealed, but only as I explored it) and that increased my enjoyment quite a lot. I'm usually pretty good at spatial orientation in games but doing that in underwater caves is rather uniquely difficult, and the game wants you to go repeatedly to some areas for resources even though they're only accessed through certain small holes in the ground that are easy to miss. Thankfully, there's a mod to add the map. I wish they would have included the map as something to unlock partway through the game, like Satisfactory (even if Satisfactory unlocks it a little later than I'd prefer).

Is 7 Days to Die also good solo/offline? I can't figure out if it's a "run-based" game where you're supposed to die and start from scratch of times, or the kind of thing where you typically play one save file until it's done?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I tried subnautica and it was okay, maybe the survival aspects were a little overtuned for me, and some of the "collect resources to get resources to automate resources" required a little too much fiddling for me

very minecrafty, I'd have to try it

$25 is a bit high for an impulse buy, and I generally speaking don't like zombies

is there a goon crew? maybe I could suck it up and just play with someone on the regular

There is a thread, it has a goon server.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

You could always wait for a sale to get it though.
It regularly goes to $7.50 and i've even seen it under $4 $6.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/viidaystodie/info/

Lakitu7 posted:

I loved Subnautica but after about halfway through the game I used the mod a added the map in-game (not fully revealed, but only as I explored it) and that increased my enjoyment quite a lot. I'm usually pretty good at spatial orientation in games but doing that in underwater caves is rather uniquely difficult, and the game wants you to go repeatedly to some areas for resources even though they're only accessed through certain small holes in the ground that are easy to miss. Thankfully, there's a mod to add the map. I wish they would have included the map as something to unlock partway through the game, like Satisfactory (even if Satisfactory unlocks it a little later than I'd prefer).

Is 7 Days to Die also good solo/offline? I can't figure out if it's a "run-based" game where you're supposed to die and start from scratch of times, or the kind of thing where you typically play one save file until it's done?

i'd say that most of my 1,000+ hours were solo.
With randomly generated maps and a ton of mods there just always something new to try.

e2: this guy even does a house flipper series where he redoes a random building then destroys it during a horde night
after the last big update it has more than 1200 block shapes, for tons of building options
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc594J9-WhOyVz1rdkvY6YV86oQe0Bs7b

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 4, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

and I generally speaking don't like zombies
You can edit the spawn setting from the xml, and I think you could set zombie to 0 and just keep the wild animal spawn, but that sheet is a bit too advance for me.

There's also a no spawn setting in game, I think. It's been a while.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Nyaa posted:

You can edit the spawn setting from the xml, and I think you could set zombie to 0 and just keep the wild animal spawn, but that sheet is a bit too advance for me.

There's also a no spawn setting in game, I think. It's been a while.

There isn't much game left without the zombies. Bears, boars, mountain lions, snakes wolves, vultures, and...? I think that's it. It's not unfair to say the whole game is about exploring buildings filled with zombies and then fending off waves of zombies.

Unless there is a crazy late-game that I never got to. I built a truck after about 100 hours solo and lost interest.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Lakitu7 posted:

Yeah I bounced off Subnautica pretty hard halfway, it was just too confusing to keep track of where everything was and my spatial awareness is terrible.
I ended up just looking up a pdf map but it really ruins the whole experience with spoilers.

I think it's been long enough for me to forget and I think a map mod is exactly what I need.

Is this the one you used? https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Khanstant posted:

anything that spreads the goatseman is good in my book

I dunno I think the goatse man does plenty of spreading on his own

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you can't find where you've been in subnautica you're not bringing enough beacons.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real I feel like I would need to start over at this point. Maybe, and not that it would be an entirely bad thing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Nowher posted:

Yeah I bounced off Subnautica pretty hard halfway, it was just too confusing to keep track of where everything was and my spatial awareness is terrible.
I ended up just looking up a pdf map but it really ruins the whole experience with spoilers.

I think it's been long enough for me to forget and I think a map mod is exactly what I need.

Is this the one you used? https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12/

Yeah, that's it. I thought it was really well polished and felt like a native, balanced feature.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BrianRx posted:

It's so that one day we can goatse unruly punks on the internet and they won't see it coming

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Goatse and Rick rolling are the same thing. Just two guys doing what they do best and loving every minute of it. The internet is resistant to this enjoyment, causing a shock if you happen down their path despite it being an honor to share their enjoyment and enthusiasm.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

If you can't find where you've been in subnautica you're not bringing enough beacons.

also just build a scanner room near where you found one of whatever you are looking for and it'll just tell you where the stuff is. you can dismantle everything and get all the mats back so it costs you nothing.

EDIT: if anything i wasn't going to volunteer Subnautica as a survival game bc the food/water meters can just be turned off and the game is just as excellent. although huddling in a small cave in my low battery seamoth while scary sounds happened outside was made a little more tense by the flashing water meter. just don't turn off the O2 req bc lmao that's like... the game

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 4, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I want a first person builder/survival game but I've tried

Minecraft
Ark
Conan
Icarus
Rust

and none are really super great with soloing, expecting you to play with a group of people

Is there something similar but fully soloable?

Subnautica

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Subnautica

But also you can edit or mod both Ark and Valheim to balance them for solo play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

or idk just go wander into the woods irl like a normal person

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

or idk just go wander into the woods irl like a normal person
:hmmyes:

Naked and with only a rock to get started of course, you're not a casual after all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

:hmmyes:

Naked and with only a rock to get started of course, you're not a casual after all.

Just a heads up, last 2 times I tried this I was arrested.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Leal posted:

Well, that's unfinished police AI for you...

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Never melee a cop. They are OP.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can anyone steer me to pick between either River City Girls or The Mummy Demastered? I realise both are different genres but I like beat 'em ups and metroidvanias.

They're both a part of this Fanatical bundle, and I'm pretty sure I want Dishonored 1 and Ancient Enemy, so I want a third game to round out the pack. Not really considering the 5 game tier because I don't want to spend that much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One vote for the game with the synthwave soundtrack with a chiptune touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA0yrdyY4tA

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Artelier posted:

Can anyone steer me to pick between either River City Girls or The Mummy Demastered? I realise both are different genres but I like beat 'em ups and metroidvanias.

They're both a part of this Fanatical bundle, and I'm pretty sure I want Dishonored 1 and Ancient Enemy, so I want a third game to round out the pack. Not really considering the 5 game tier because I don't want to spend that much.

The Mummy Demastered is getting a lot of discounts recently which given that it's a licensed game for a theatrical failure might indicate that a delisting is imminent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Get the mummy, reviews are good and that soundtrack slaps

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mummy Demastered struck me as a pretty generic metroidvania and I lost interest pretty quickly but if that's not an issue for you it's worth checking out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Even though it's an HP Lovecraft game, the most frightening part of Dreams in the Witch House is being a broke college student. Unspeakably, maddeningly broke!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leal posted:

keep trying i'm sure you'll get better at it with practice

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

parks do not count as woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
"Please, if you're going to trespass on my lawn and punch my trees, at least wear some clothes. I'm tired of calling the police" -James Woods

Anyway, I've started playing Victor Vran and it's pretty fun so far. How bad does the level scaling get? Like, if I just enjoy running around shotgun-ing skeletons in the face will everything eventually turn into bullet sponges?