Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ICHIBAHN posted:

A question for you: going to Raw taping tonight. Seemingly it starts at 7, until 11. Would I be right in saying RAW itself starts at 7 then there's an hour of bullshit including a dark match at the end? Or is is bullshit at the start, then Raw at 8? Cheers.

They tape matches for Superstars before 8. You may get a dark match after the show depending on what happens in the main event (if the heels win, there will be a dark segment where the heels get their comeuppance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

projecthalaxy posted:

The best big show moment was when Steph had spent months forcing big show to be a weapon against his will and then she made him punch the Miz and she couldn't even get the command out before Big Show murderized him

This is the correct answer

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why did Naito win the IWGP title for 2 months in the summer?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

He was the hottest thing they had going at the time and they probably wanted to test whether he could carry shows attendance-wise. Plus he has really improved as a worker, way less botchy than he used to be.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Also Naito is extremely cool.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Naito's gimmick of being alternatively the laziest man on Mars and also the fastest man on the planet is amazing. I will also never ever get tired of Shibata v Naito matches.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Naitoooooooooooo :swoon:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

ICHIBAHN posted:

Token reign for being the most over act in the company (and an excuse to run the Okada match at two major shows, both in Tokyo and Osaka), but lost it in such time that it wouldn't mess up any of their late 2016-early 2017 plans for Okada, who, it's becoming clear, nobody will be pushed ahead of for the time being regardless of if they're more popular.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 7, 2016

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

Did this really happen?

ya

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Spermgod posted:

...Okada, who, it's becoming clear, nobody will be pushed ahead of for the time being regardless of if they're more popular.

Are people starting to hop on the "Okada was always bad" train? I seem to be seeing more people online venting about him here and there. I think he's overpushed, but the dude still puts on amazing matches 99% of the time.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Okada is good. People post that he gets exposed on the rare occasion he isn't wrestling Tanahashi, where he shows himself to be merely incredibly good.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Okada is the ace of the universe and the prettiest boy in the world. People who think he isn't good are ridiculous.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Okada is guilty of the crime of tailoring his level of effort to the situation at hand rather than operating at peak levels all the time. He's cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Okada is guilty of the crime of tailoring his level of effort to the situation at hand rather than operating at peak levels all the time. He's cool.

Something I assume Nakamura taught him, given his default setting in WWE seems to be around 38%.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Something I assume Nakamura taught him, given his default setting in WWE seems to be around 38%.

As it should be. Why kill yourself in a nothing match when you're already over and can save that poo poo for when it matters

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Let's go Okada

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Okada rules, his work ethic and nakamuras, rules. They're working smart. Don't get me wrong btw, i LOVE Naito. Just wondered if there was a story behind his brief reign.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

As it should be. Why kill yourself in a nothing match when you're already over and can save that poo poo for when it matters
Totally

A house show crowd is going home happy if they get to sing along with his music and see him do his pose and good vibrations and hit a kinshasa

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Okada is young, great at wrestling, over with the crowd, popular with other wrestlers, has a safe finisher and good gimmick, and has the complete backing of the company he works for
I don't think there's any other top guy on the planet who can tick that many boxes off

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

remusclaw posted:

The Kevin Nash method.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Peak Kevin Nash is low level, though. And I love him for it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

remusclaw posted:

Naito's gimmick of being alternatively the laziest man on Mars and also the fastest man on the planet is amazing.
Um excuse me but that would be 'Speed Star' Masato Yoshino. :colbert:

NienNunb posted:

Okada is the ace of the universe and the prettiest boy in the world.
Um excuse me but that would be YAMATO. :colbert:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Okada is the best worker in the world, and will never ever be Always Bad

One thing I'm curious about - I see Kurt Angle cited a lot as the key guy behind popularizing the contemporary-ish main event style of trading and reversing a large number of finishers. Who else would you all say has had the most direct impact on how people wrestle matches in 2016, especially when they're trying to make those into classic matches?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I'd say Choshu is probably the biggest single influence on the in-ring style of post-80s wrestling. Revolutionised the style of both NJPW and AJPW and that had a knock on effect on everywhere else.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who's only seen very sporadic Japanese stuff before the 90's, could you go into any detail on what innovations can be traced to Choshu's work?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jenny Angel posted:

As someone who's only seen very sporadic Japanese stuff before the 90's, could you go into any detail on what innovations can be traced to Choshu's work?

Invented the Sharpshooter

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

St Evan Echoes posted:

Totally

A house show crowd is going home happy if they get to sing along with his music and see him do his pose and good vibrations and hit a kinshasa

Can confirm.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Jenny Angel posted:

Dispensed with matwork, threw a lot of bombs, fast paced action with lots of back-and-forth and near falls.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

When exactly did the FU become the AA? I missed the period from about 08 to '12 so I am not sure. Did they ever address it directly or just one day Cena's finisher had a new name?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

When exactly did the FU become the AA? I missed the period from about 08 to '12 so I am not sure. Did they ever address it directly or just one day Cena's finisher had a new name?

when they went pg cena didnt cut a promo or anything cole just started calling it the attitude adjustment then the AA I think it was during a feud with randy orton. Cena said a line about adjusting randy's lovely attitude and then they started calling his FU the AA during that ppv

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I always laughed at Cena talking about how it had ALWAYS been the AA to him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So watching Capital Punishment 2011. Did R-Truth's heel turn and title shot come out of nowhere? What was the opinion on it?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

So watching Capital Punishment 2011. Did R-Truth's heel turn and title shot come out of nowhere? What was the opinion on it?

His heel turn was loving amazing, as was his team with The Miz, up until, they got utterly clowned by The Rock and Cena.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The title shot was a bit of a reach (they basically needed someone between Miz and CM Punk) but he was reasonably over.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Evil Canadian posted:

Not sure of the exact timing, but there was a period where commentary mysteriously stopped calling the FU by name. Cole would say "Cena going for the victory!" when the move was being set up, stuff like that. After the no-name period they just started calling it the Attitude Adjustment as if nothing had changed.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite Big Show moment was finding out he was Steph's favorite childhood friend who protected her in the back.

you mean Andre, Steph was on TV by the time the Big Show appeared in WWF

edt. Alberto del Rio and the Big Show and a couple of good matches in 2013 at Royal Rumble and EC, fun feud with Richardo

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Luck Needed posted:

you mean Andre, Steph was on TV by the time the Big Show appeared in WWF

edt. Alberto del Rio and the Big Show and a couple of good matches in 2013 at Royal Rumble and EC, fun feud with Richardo

:thejoke: during the big show vs the authority feud, they said that big show was her friend when she was a little girl.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

His heel turn came when his buddy John Morrison goaded him into putting a title shot he'd earned on the line. He lost, snapped, beat up John Morrison, and blew cigarette smoke on his body. As a heel he was really mad the company didn't give opportunities to black wrestlers. He took his frustration out on children decked head to toe in John Cena merch (little jimmys) and the parents who bought it for them because R Truth didn't have a t-shirt at the time because the company was racist and didn't push black people. I don't know if these segments flew over someone's head backstage or if they just thought it would be funny if he just became a raving moron who actually hallucinated an invisible child who followed him everywhere named Little Jimmy and was terrified of spiders but that's what happened

oatgan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why was it little Jimmy anyway. Wouldn't little Johnny be more correct for his point vis a vis tiny John Cena fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

oatgan posted:

His heel turn came when his buddy John Morrison goaded him into putting a title shot he'd earned on the line. He lost, snapped, beat up John Morrison, and blew cigarette smoke on his body. As a heel he was really mad the company didn't give opportunities to black wrestlers. He took his frustration out on children decked head to toe in John Cena merch (little jimmys) and the parents who bought it for them because R Truth didn't have a t-shirt at the time because the company was racist and didn't push black people. I don't know if these segments flew over someone's head backstage or if they just thought it would be funny if he just became a raving moron who actually hallucinated an invisible child who followed him everywhere named Little Jimmy and was terrified of spiders but that's what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlbUtD-C_F4
the morrison angle was weird and sorta dumb and made them both seem like dumb assholes, but yeah that wacky angry "uppity" heel R truth was probably the best he's been