Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You will receive thread specific achievements, like:

BRUTAL DOOM DERAIL ACHIEVEMENT

poo poo we're onto 1995, whose most notable release has to be William Shatner's TekWar.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Next page is an incredibly strong year with Marathon Infinity, the best classic fps game and Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, the best Doom IWAD all in one year

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw

:rock:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
An infinite amount of nostalgia for this 1995 game:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Technically an FPS and stealing the true-3D thunder one year early

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

Technically an FPS and stealing the true-3D thunder one year early

That game was my jam for so drat long!

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
this new apogee game looks sick. tom hall is working on it! i think it's called something like prey? supposed to be out next year!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mierenneuker posted:

It will respawn as a new thread. The opening post will just be a single picture.

The early FPS megathread is about to make you it's bitch.

Suck it down

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BaconCopter posted:

An infinite amount of nostalgia for this 1995 game:

I'm still waiting/hoping for someone to come out with an engine recreation or something. 1995 had some good games, in hindsight its shooters are caught between the big years of '94 and '96, but it's also the year of X-Com, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2... thinking about it, since I wasn't allowed to play shooters anyway, 1995 might be one of the most influential years on my gaming habits as a kid.

Marathon as a whole has loving great music. I love 1's soundtrack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Infinity music has been my ringtone since I had a cell phone

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake Champions Doom Edition is low-key one of the most impressive mods going around IMHO. Here's a trailer for a new update that recreates a largely undefined character from a certain game with custom sprites and voiceacting, along with some awesome remixes of multiplayer maps from other, modern games in the styles of classic games. Way more effort than a demake mod typically gets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrDQOTNl3o

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Quake Champions Doom Edition is low-key one of the most impressive mods going around IMHO. Here's a trailer for a new update that recreates a largely undefined character from a certain game with custom sprites and voiceacting, along with some awesome remixes of multiplayer maps from other, modern games in the styles of classic games. Way more effort than a demake mod typically gets!

This looks great!

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I fell down a Doom Total Conversion Wad rabbithole and ended up kiting Killer Crock while he tried to hit me with a rock.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

One of the things that it impresses me is the quality of the HUD. A lot of mods try to put some "modern" HUD and fail but it's easy to read and cool to boot.

Does this work with single player stuff like Samsara? Looking at the huge roster of characters to choose would be nice substitute.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

psychopomp posted:

I fell down a Doom Total Conversion Wad rabbithole and ended up kiting Killer Crock while he tried to hit me with a rock.

The Killer Croc in Batman Doom is an utterly ingenious DEHACKED trick taking advantage of the pre-existing systems in the game.

The rocks are corpses. Killer Croc uses the Arch-Vile's resurrection attack to "pick them up".

Guillermus posted:

One of the things that it impresses me is the quality of the HUD. A lot of mods try to put some "modern" HUD and fail but it's easy to read and cool to boot.

Does this work with single player stuff like Samsara? Looking at the huge roster of characters to choose would be nice substitute.
Yeah, QC:DE supports singleplayer just fine. Dusk Dude actually has an additional passive ability exclusively for single-player and co-op.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
been having the oppurtiunity to try to Doom wads n mods

wow i have never played a slaughter map with vanilla doom
Playing Rush or CombatControl with Project Brutality is insane and outrageously fun

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Perhaps it helped that the modder didn't design it themselves, but recreated the Quake Champions HUD.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1995 was action packed all right.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I can't believe I've seen every single one of those movies. Braveheart and Rob Roy came out the same year? Nice.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
assassins is something i've never seen. apparently it's the wachowski sisters first movie?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ETPC posted:

assassins is something i've never seen. apparently it's the wachowski sisters first movie?

I think that's Bound you're thinking of, Bound is really really cool. I actually haven't seen Assassins (edit: oh right they wrote it), I probably should out of respect for 95. I gotta give Tank Girl a watch while we're at it, I've got one book of the comics. It looks hilarious, saw a bit of it on TV one time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waterworld was the best movie of 1995. I am not taking questions at this time.

Seriously though, of those movies that I've seen, I think I'd say Tank Girl's the best. I've had Desperado and Screamers on my to watch list for a while too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jokes aside, you guys have seen Gamera: Guardian of the Universe right? It is a very official entry in that list, google doesn't lie.

I play the Desperado map in Action Half-Life all the time. It's like living the film. Talk about HD.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I think that's Bound you're thinking of, Bound is really really cool. I actually haven't seen Assassins (edit: oh right they wrote it), I probably should out of respect for 95. I gotta give Tank Girl a watch while we're at it, I've got one book of the comics. It looks hilarious, saw a bit of it on TV one time.

I envy you and your first viewing of Tank Girl.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

I envy you and your first viewing of Tank Girl.

I know it's got Ice-T, whom I adore, I can only imagine the glory. I actually tried to get some friends to watch it a couple months back, there's always one who doesn't want to watch Tank Girl. It's strange really.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I know it's got Ice-T, whom I adore, I can only imagine the glory. I actually tried to get some friends to watch it a couple months back, there's always one who doesn't want to watch Tank Girl. It's strange really.

It's been awhile, so, looking at the cast list it ALSO has: Iggy Pop, James Hong, Malcolm McDowell and Lori Petty is quite good imo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Waterworld was the best movie of 1995. I am not taking questions at this time.

Ah another cultured individual. I trust you’ve seen (and perhaps own) the Ulysses cut of Waterworld? It’s :kisses fingers:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s a small chance they’re making a new Tank Girl with Margot Robbie, and I’d there for that.

Not gonna comment on the old one because I literally haven’t watched it since high school

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ETPC posted:

will this thread die immediately on page 2007/2008

we all pretend to really really really love painkiller out of desperation

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ah another cultured individual. I trust you’ve seen (and perhaps own) the Ulysses cut of Waterworld? It’s :kisses fingers:

Actually, no. It's not a movie that anybody I know owns (though apparently my dad taped it off of Starz back in the '90s, so might still have it around). It's one of those movies where you see it's on while channel surfing, go "oh, hey, Waterworld," you don't even intend to watch it but next thing you know the credits are rolling.

Edit: holy poo poo, there's a three disc set?

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 28, 2020

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy hell, it looks like someone got a kinda-functional way to get mouselook into Dark Forces without totally borking the whole control scheme.

However, the Dark Forces DeHacker doesn't come with any install guide - anyone know how the heck to get this thing working?

http://df-21.net/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just plop DFORCEDH.EXE into the folder, run Setup so your sound driver is correctly configured (I forgot to do this step and now my game is silent, oops), and then run DFORCEDH.EXE to further configure things, as well as install code modifications directly into the game to add the mouselook and such. After that you just run DARK.EXE and any hacks you installed will be active until you run DFORCEDH.EXE again and explicitly remove them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is great, but the vertical mouse sensitivity is pretty low and the only included sensitivity option is to multiply the sensitivity on all axes by four, making horizontal aiming basically impossible.

Luckily, MouseX makes this pretty easy to fix. Just run "MOUSEX 100 200 DARK.EXE" (or change the 200 to whatever you want to increase vertical sensitivity by).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
We're all acting like Tank Girl is the most fun, guilty pleasure of 1995 while sleeping on Johnny Mnemonic? The film that turned a short story by William loving Gibson into Keanu Reeves running from a psychotic priest-assassin played by Dolph Lundgren? Also Henry Rollins, Ice T, Udo Kier! Goddamned Yakuza ninjas and cybernetic dolphins!

All I can say is repent, sinners!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I might have to try that MouseX thing later; I was very able to get through the first stage with the 4x multiplier enabled, but it still felt off.

I can't decide if I want Always Run enabled or not, though. Unlike Doom, the game feels weird with it enabled, like you're a smidgen too fast, somehow. Maybe it's an FOV thing, IDK.

Oh, uh, 1995 films... I saw Pocahontas, I guess... I wanted to say Hunchback, but that was a year later. I forget what else I saw that year tho - literally none of the films in that image, certainly, didn't catch any of 'em until adulthood. (And double-checking it, by "any of 'em" I mean "literally just Goldeneye".)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wild T posted:

We're all acting like Tank Girl is the most fun, guilty pleasure of 1995 while sleeping on Johnny Mnemonic? The film that turned a short story by William loving Gibson into Keanu Reeves running from a psychotic priest-assassin played by Dolph Lundgren? Also Henry Rollins, Ice T, Udo Kier! Goddamned Yakuza ninjas and cybernetic dolphins!

It also gave rise to the best Reeves line ever screamed from high on top of a garbage heap: “I WANT ROOM SERVICE”

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reminder we have a Doom wad club thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894926&pagenumber=92#lastpost

vote in the poll if you are interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

Same year also had a middling FMV game of Johnny Mnemonic that is noteworthy for having Issac Hayes and Julie Strain in it.