Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dawgstar posted:

MrBeast: "What can I do instead of enjoying my wealth and spending my precious time on earth with my loved ones? I need content... that's it!"

And he’s not even doing anything new! As someone pointed out, this just a rehash of the Pewdiepie v. T-series thing from years ago.

Definitely not weird for two extremely wealthy white guys on separate occasions having a ”friendly competition” with a popular Indian channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Equeen posted:

Definitely not weird for two extremely wealthy white guys on separate occasions having a ”friendly competition” with a popular Indian channel.

come on now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pewdiepie's diss tracks (lol) had Racism in them but also he wasnt wrong that t-series has a near total monopoly over the indian music scene and has been #metoo'd out the rear end

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Neither Pewdepie nor Beast give a poo poo about T-series beyond "number bigger"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think "just ignore it" works because most people dont actually care about that kind of thing. they just want to see, the content.

Yeah lol. I know hbombs vid has lots of views and people look at it and do a big pogface and say woah... people are finally taking notoce. But they're not really lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it does matter more for "pundits" because it matters if you're trying to market your takes, versus just making some vaguely entertaining informative video or something

there's also just like, "live by the sword" etc where online drama is going to affect you a lot more if part of your schtik is commentating on online drama

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it does matter more for "pundits" because it matters if you're trying to market your takes, versus just making some vaguely entertaining informative video or something

there's also just like, "live by the sword" etc where online drama is going to affect you a lot more if part of your schtik is commentating on online drama

Yeah if your videos are about your opinions and it turns out they're someone else's, people will just go to the source instead, it's like when I found out who Bill Hicks was I knew I never needed to bother with Denis Leary again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The MSJ posted:

Kinda related to hbomb's video, but Illuminaughtii have apparently stopped posting for over two months. But I still see some channels posting even newer updates about her controversy, so she must still be doing something elsewhere.
Almost positive she just ran through all the sponsorship deals she'd already agreed to and then bounced once they dried up.

Fil5000 posted:

Neither Pewdepie nor Beast give a poo poo about T-series beyond "number bigger"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

MrBeast: "What can I do instead of enjoying my wealth and spending my precious time on earth with my loved ones? I need content... that's it!"

There was an article that spells this out entirely from an interview he did a few months ago, yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kunster posted:

There was an article that spells this out entirely from an interview he did a few months ago, yes.

Yeah, I read it. It's the one where he talks about he only goes on dates with his girlfriend if they specifically can grow the brand. "Staying in and watching reruns of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper doesn't move the needle, babe."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats’ feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah lol. I know hbombs vid has lots of views and people look at it and do a big pogface and say woah... people are finally taking notoce. But they're not really lol

The idea of universal social pressure, cost, or consequences is long dead. The internet makes it far too easy for people to find a group of people who either don't care about why people are mad at you or like that people are mad at you for it. This applies to good things and bad things.

Somerton got obliterated because his audience was the same as Hbomb's and Todd's. IH has an audience mostly consisting of people going 'huh, nifty' or people drawn from the shitholes of the web. Hbomb pointing out he was lying isn't going to stop him from lying, or stop him from existing. It did, however, absolutely solidify him as lovely though; cause all he needed to do was talk to the guy who wrote the article and say that he was making a video that retold it. He did a lot of visual and voice work, and as a retelling it has a real purpose and reason to exist.

But instead of approaching the author, he decided to hope they never noticed and never gave them any real credit. I don't know why people are assholes when its so easy to be nice.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Grondoth posted:

The idea of universal social pressure, cost, or consequences is long dead. The internet makes it far too easy for people to find a group of people who either don't care about why people are mad at you or like that people are mad at you for it. This applies to good things and bad things.

Somerton got obliterated because his audience was the same as Hbomb's and Todd's. IH has an audience mostly consisting of people going 'huh, nifty' or people drawn from the shitholes of the web. Hbomb pointing out he was lying isn't going to stop him from lying, or stop him from existing. It did, however, absolutely solidify him as lovely though; cause all he needed to do was talk to the guy who wrote the article and say that he was making a video that retold it. He did a lot of visual and voice work, and as a retelling it has a real purpose and reason to exist.

But instead of approaching the author, he decided to hope they never noticed and never gave them any real credit. I don't know why people are assholes when its so easy to be nice.

It is because if he wanted to make an animated adaptation of someone's original writing and monetize it, he would be asked to share the profits. Because regardless of the visual and voice work, he is using that other person's creative work. It is the same reason Disney couldn't just make a cartoon series based off of, say, Redwall or something and tell Brian Jacques' estate that they don't need to pay for the license because it's a lot of original creative work to adapt it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

It is because if he wanted to make an animated adaptation of someone's original writing and monetize it, he would be asked to share the profits. Because regardless of the visual and voice work, he is using that other person's creative work. It is the same reason Disney couldn't just make a cartoon series based off of, say, Redwall or something and tell Brian Jacques' estate that they don't need to pay for the license because it's a lot of original creative work to adapt it.

Yeah that's super fuckin' lame man

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I actually do not believe you should be able to make an adaptation of someone's original work and profit from it while cutting them out entirely! Especially not in a situation like IH where he has a huge audience and reach compared to the original writer and likely stood to profit way more from using that writer's article as his uncredited and unreimbursed script than the writer stood to make from all his original writing and research. If you want me to agree copyright law in the US is busted as hell and sucks, you're right. But this is an instance where it actually protects the artist from a more powerful actor as intended.

The busted part here is that the writer likely can't give permission to adapt his work under the contract he signed with the publisher, and the publisher could probably be the one to take any shared profit, given how a lot of freelance and even salaried creative contracts go.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 17, 2024

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Fil5000 posted:

Also IH seems to be doing what he does for money and/or enjoyment whereas Somerton wanted to be Important and listened to. Which is why he keeps trying to sneak back into the discourse in an increasingly large fake mustache.

yeah Somerton's behavior is often explained as him being a marketingbrain hack who was only in it for the money, but reading into the 1% of original content he inserted into his serial plagiarism, it's a lot more likely his driving motive was a need for validation/adoration crashing against his obvious inability to come up with anything meaningful to say on his own. the few things that were obvious Somerton Originals were so consistently bitter and miserable that i can't imagine him ever having the kind of cold-blooded reptile mindset you'd need for pure grift. i think he desperately wanted to become a celebrated voice of Discourse™ first, and the money was an excellent motivation to keep going. then he started impulsively pissing away his earnings on expensive equipment he didn't need so he could feel like a real filmmaker (and starting a fake film studio so he could justify to himself hoarding all that stuff), and keeping the gravy train going became his main motivation.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

I actually do not believe you should be able to make an adaptation of someone's original work and profit from it while cutting them out entirely! Especially not in a situation like IH where he has a huge audience and reach compared to the original writer and likely stood to profit way more from using that writer's article as his uncredited and unreimbursed script than the writer stood to make from all his original writing and research. If you want me to agree copyright law in the US is busted as hell and sucks, you're right. But this is an instance where it actually protects the artist from a more powerful actor as intended.

The busted part here is that the writer likely can't give permission to adapt his work under the contract he signed with the publisher, and the publisher could probably be the one to take any shared profit, given how a lot of freelance and even salaried creative contracts go.

I meant it's lame as hell that he didn't let the guy in on it. Sucks.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
James Hoffman gets abstract:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkssYHTSpH4

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lol poor guy, I hope that helps get more eyes on his channel though, it's always an interesting watch. His videos on the King's Field games convinced me to play them all when I have time.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Grondoth posted:

I meant it's lame as hell that he didn't let the guy in on it. Sucks.

Oh lol sorry, I projected a whole other argument onto you. Oops! Agreed, that does suck.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

No matter how uninclined your audience is to care, you don't go to the trouble IH did trying and failing to cover his rear end re: man in cave, and try to be sneaky about it, if you consider yourself untouchable. That's not the movement of confidence. He certainly knew att what he did was wrong.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol poor guy, I hope that helps get more eyes on his channel though, it's always an interesting watch. His videos on the King's Field games convinced me to play them all when I have time.

The video IH ripped off already has like 400k views, I assumed it'd be someone really obscure but no, pretty decent view counts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this reminds me of when hatsune miku showed up on David Letterman. or maybe that pizza hut thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xCOBLUJo4&hd=1

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

this reminds me of when hatsune miku showed up on David Letterman. or maybe that pizza hut thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xCOBLUJo4&hd=1

it's dominos. for Christ's sake I just posted it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pootybutt posted:

Even if his audience is mostly intellectually lazy retards, all the rigamarole IH got to trying and failing to cover his rear end re: man in cave tells me he doesn't consider himself so untouchable. He certainly knew att what he did was wrong.

Please be respectful, plenty of intellectually handicapped people listen to better things than Internet Historian. Personally, I've been big into this obscure video guy named Anthony Fantano lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wvfLwKOMg

..Oh no!!!

Fil5000 posted:

The video IH ripped off already has like 400k views, I assumed it'd be someone really obscure but no, pretty decent view counts

He's had some hit videos but a he's still only at 40k subscribers and most of his videos get around 10-50k views. Actually I might as well post something. Here's his nuclear take on Souls game healing mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWOj4wVrIM

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 17, 2024

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

One of my fave gaming youtubers, Kbash, recently posted a vid on a somewhat unlikely subject: Of Orcs and Men, and the two Styx stealth games where you play a groddy lil dickhead goblin w a big knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OusU5-3DtM

My boy talks a bit slow, so don't be afraid to hit that ol 1.25 on the playback speed.

I don't know why I put it that way really, that sucked. Sorry

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 17, 2024

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If James Somerton spent less time plagiarizing and being smug he could have went ahead and actually made a movie; like Jessie Gender, the other person he hosed over

https://x.com/jessiegender/status/1791550056228884667

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
nerd builds a pre-industrial blowtorch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJRfSropnA

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New Philosophy Tube, about the works of Judith Butler (particularly on gender) and how people choose not to engage with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVilpxowsUQ

Watching this video reminded me of a video I watched last week by Alexander Avila which goes into the history of how the concept of gender was constructed. I highly recommend it as a companion to the Philosophy Tube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWKYTxLYT4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New Bobby Fingers just dropped

E: also here's a new video from Adam Savage's Tested which may be somewhat relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigcQMUbbZ0

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should also note that he really did write an entire romance novel for this episode and the audiobook version (narrated by BF himself) is 4.5 hours long and the print version is 233 pages long. :eyepop:
https://linktr.ee/bobbyfingers

Postscript to this, that novel that Bobby Fingers wrote contains the secret coordinates of the buried Fabio sculpt but because he knew he was going to be collaborating with Adam Savage he also included a secret clue as to to location in Adam's workshop where he was going to hide a secret gift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTDnuK0q7E
Adam didn't bother reading the book, he got his Discord members to read it and find the clue for him LAME

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Uri Tuchman machines a gear with pigeon-shaped teeth for a 'clock-ish' mechanism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSUuIv-D9o

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

*hits cup*

Duuude, how does coffee taste?

e: lmao at the white void presentation and the choreographed dance number

That was not coffee in your bripe, James Hoffmann.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 18, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

*hits cup*

Duuude, how does coffee taste?

e: lmao at the white void presentation and the choreographed dance number

That was not coffee in your bripe, James Hoffmann.

:sludgepal: it's 530 in the morning, my bladder woke me up, and I can't seem to fall back asleep.
Go get me a mug, Jimmy.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He should change his name to James Coffman.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

every time i have a question about brewing my coffee, this guy answers it. thank you coffee man

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Münecat came out of with a video debunking Evo Psychology. It over 3 hours long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31e0RcImReY

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

side_burned posted:

Münecat came out of with a video debunking Evo Psychology. It over 3 hours long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31e0RcImReY

Oh cool, she's been trailing this for ages on insta, and her last few have been good watches.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

well i was gonna joke about how stupid "men cant smell women ovulating enough anymore, due to birth control, so they dont wanna Achieve Things now" was but then it immediately pivoted to "women on birth control piss too much estrogen, which gets into the water supply and it's affecting men and making them fat" came right after. so. a lot to digest here. a real rich text.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

the evolutionary psychology people may just be dumb as hell, and very stupid, and quite dense