Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like 1999 is gonna have to be the Rumble.

EDIT: 2015: Wrestlemania
2016 (so far): Battleground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Summerslam 2002

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
2003: Wrestlemania

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hey, so a friend of mine got into wrestling about maybe a year and a half ago. She's currently interested in checking out the Shield run since she missed out on that. I know someone here had a really good playlist for that. Can anyone repost that please?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
1992 is a pain in the rear end to choose

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

1992 is a pain in the rear end to choose

For me, '92 is the Rumble. Flair winning the WWF title from the #3 spot while Heenan loses his drat mind on color seals it for me.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gavok posted:

Hey, so a friend of mine got into wrestling about maybe a year and a half ago. She's currently interested in checking out the Shield run since she missed out on that. I know someone here had a really good playlist for that. Can anyone repost that please?

Via Bard Maddox

TLC 2012 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and Ryback (Tables, Ladders, and Chairs Match)
Elimination Chamber 2013 - The Shield vs. John Cena, Sheamus, and Ryback
RAW 4/22/13 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and the Undertaker
RAW 4/29/13 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and John Cena
RAW 5/20/13 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and Kofi Kingston
RAW 5/27/13 - Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins vs. Daniel Bryan and Kane (WWE Tag Team Championship Match)
RAW 6/3/13 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and Randy Orton
RAW 6/10/13 - Seth Rollins vs. Daniel Bryan
SmackDown 6/14/13 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, and Randy Orton
Money in the Bank 2013 - Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins vs. Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso
Battleground 2013 - Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust
RAW 9/23/13 - The Shield vs. 11 faces
RAW 10/14/13 - Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust (WWE Tag Team Championship Match)
Hell in a Cell 2013 - Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso (WWE Tag Team Championship Match)
RAW 11/11/13 - The Shield vs. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan
RAW 11/18/13 - The Shield, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan vs. Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Goldust, and Cody Rhodes
Survivor Series 2013 - The Shield, Antonio Cesaro, and Jack Swagger vs. Cody Rhodes, Goldust, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, and Rey Mysterio (Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Match)
SmackDown 11/29/13 - the second half of this show (culminates with The Shield, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan vs. CM Punk, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Goldust, Cody Rhodes, and Rey Mysterio)
TLC 2013 - The Shield vs. CM Punk
RAW 1/27/14 - The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, John Cena, and Sheamus
Elimination Chamber 2014 - The Shield vs. Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, and Luke Harper
RAW 3/3/14 - The Shield vs. Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, and Luke Harper
Smackdown 4/25/14 - this is the SmackDown where they beat the poo poo out of everyone backstage and powerbomb Fandango off the stage and it rules
Extreme Rules 2014 - The Shield vs. Evolution
Payback 2014 - The Shield vs. Evolution (No DQ Elimination)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gavok posted:

The Shield had a ton of amazing matches so it's hard to pin down the essentials. I'll just go with the ones I saw when I started watching again in early 2014.

Vs. Wyatts Elimination Chamber 2014
Vs. Wyatts Raw (rematch after the PPV, arguably better than their EC match)
Vs. Evolution Extreme Rules 2014
Vs. Evolution Payback 2014

Really, the entire Shield/Wyatt feud is a case study in "less is more." You had these badass heel stables running roughshod, it only makes sense that they'd run into each other at some point. In a rare moment of WWE restraint, the Shield and Wyatts didn't even touch each other in their build to the EC match. No lame brawl, no lovely "Dean Ambrose vs. Erick Rowan" match that only sets up a lame team brawl. Nope, they kept their distance and just stared holes into each other the whole time. This was built so beautifully that when the actual match happened the crowd was chanting "THIS IS AWESOME" before they even threw hands.

Then they had the match, and it was loving great. Probably the last time WWE actually pulled off a "slow burn" angle perfectly.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

OldTennisCourt posted:

More of a fun little experiment than a full fledged question

What is the one MUST SEE PPV for each year of WWE history?

Like:

2011: Money in the Bank
2012: Extreme Rules
2013: Summerslam

etc. Go as far back as you'd like. I thought about making this it's own thread but I don't know. Maybe if you go into detail on each PPV it could work?

2002: Summerslam and/or Survivor Series
2005: ECW One Night Stand <- Would this count as a WWE PPV? Even if it is a WWE -produced event, it captured the counter-culture essence of ECW (the crusaders were a silly idea, but having them as cannon fodder for Heymans promo justified their presence in my book).

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Backlash 2000

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Has Chavo Guerrero Jr. ever succesfully performed the 3 Amigos? I feel like everytime he does that specific Eddie Guerrero tribute he always gets interrupted after the second suplex, or does something different instead of a third suplex.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

2016 (so far): Battleground

That or Backlash.

e: also, if Takeovers count, Brooklyn II was great.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
1988: Bam Bam Bigelow vs. One Man Gang

e: I conflated the "best PPV per year" question with the Shield question but my recommendation of this match stands, always and forever.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 15, 2016

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Has Chavo Guerrero Jr. ever succesfully performed the 3 Amigos? I feel like everytime he does that specific Eddie Guerrero tribute he always gets interrupted after the second suplex, or does something different instead of a third suplex.

Rumble 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spvhuq2nItA

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
2016: The episode of CWC with Ibushi/Cedric and Tajiri/Metalik

Benne posted:

The Shield had a ton of amazing matches so it's hard to pin down the essentials. I'll just go with the ones I saw when I started watching again in early 2014.

Vs. Wyatts Elimination Chamber 2014
Vs. Wyatts Raw (rematch after the PPV, arguably better than their EC match)
Vs. Evolution Extreme Rules 2014
Vs. Evolution Payback 2014

Really, the entire Shield/Wyatt feud is a case study in "less is more." You had these badass heel stables running roughshod, it only makes sense that they'd run into each other at some point. In a rare moment of WWE restraint, the Shield and Wyatts didn't even touch each other in their build to the EC match. No lame brawl, no lovely "Dean Ambrose vs. Erick Rowan" match that only sets up a lame team brawl. Nope, they kept their distance and just stared holes into each other the whole time. This was built so beautifully that when the actual match happened the crowd was chanting "THIS IS AWESOME" before they even threw hands.

Then they had the match, and it was loving great. Probably the last time WWE actually pulled off a "slow burn" angle perfectly.

They did it again a month after.

Adaptabullshit posted:

2002: Summerslam and/or Survivor Series
2005: ECW One Night Stand <- Would this count as a WWE PPV? Even if it is a WWE -produced event, it captured the counter-culture essence of ECW (the crusaders were a silly idea, but having them as cannon fodder for Heymans promo justified their presence in my book).

I'd go with
2005: Wrestlemania (first MitB, Angle/HBK, Cena and Batista)
2006: One Night Stand (similar atmosphere with better matches than 05)

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

reality_groove posted:

Backlash 2000

Yeah, Backlash 2000. Generally, all the PPVs in 2000 that were on Channel 4 for free in the UK sort of worked out as the best - Rumble, Backlash, Fully Loaded and Armageddon.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I have to agree with Backlash 2000 and not just because I was there. I rewatched it recently and I think it holds up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I actually think this might be a question worthy of it's own thread

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ChrisBTY posted:

In the early days of Muhammad Hassan's run he and Daivari were just American born Muslims who were upset at the their treatment at the hands of a post-9/11 America. He would win clean and not give the crowd any justifiable reason to boo him, which kinda made them even madder. His early feuds were with mindless patriots like Jim Duggan who dropped the conventional "America; love it or leave it" rhetoric. The early Hassan character was a huge problem because wrestling fans never would have cheered him, had no justifiable reason to boo him and anybody who feuded with him looked completely in the wrong.
Hassan was always intended to be a heel from day one. The difference was that they tried to make him a heel with complex (for wrestling) motivations. They promptly ditched this for the typical anti-American gimmick though.

Not sure if you were trying to say he started out as a face, but I see that opinion posted here a lot!

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Hassan was an entirely "I am a jerk because the way I act" heel. He assumed everyone else was racist. That he won clean without cheating was just supposed to make you hate him more. Narratively, to Hassan, this just reinforces his belief that he's just hated for being Arab and not a jerk - he's playing by the rules, after all. He's doing the 'right' thing.

If they intended for him to be a face(which would prob be incredibly hard given pro-wrestling), he'd not automatically assume everyone is racist. You'd have a heel attack him racially motivated wise, and he defends himself, then going on about how Arabs aren't automatically terrorists.

They didn't do that. His intro vignettes were "America treats Arabs like crap, and it's all YOUR fault." Basically calling white people racists is as close as white people actually have to an effective slur, and that was essentially Hassan at the start.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh I know he was intended to be a heel. But really to 'heel' all he had to do was get in the ring and the crowd would bring their own boos.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although it led to that amusing moment at the Royal Rumble where he came in, did his taunt, and every last person in the match turned around to throw him out

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NameHurtBrain posted:

Hassan was an entirely "I am a jerk because the way I act" heel. He assumed everyone else was racist. That he won clean without cheating was just supposed to make you hate him more. Narratively, to Hassan, this just reinforces his belief that he's just hated for being Arab and not a jerk - he's playing by the rules, after all. He's doing the 'right' thing.

If they intended for him to be a face(which would prob be incredibly hard given pro-wrestling), he'd not automatically assume everyone is racist. You'd have a heel attack him racially motivated wise, and he defends himself, then going on about how Arabs aren't automatically terrorists.

They didn't do that. His intro vignettes were "America treats Arabs like crap, and it's all YOUR fault." Basically calling white people racists is as close as white people actually have to an effective slur, and that was essentially Hassan at the start.

He was right, tho.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
the best heels are

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shellman posted:

2014: Wrestlemania

Honorable mention for Summerslam, which would probably be #1 for me if that Dean/Seth lumberjack match ended with Dean pinning Seth after tearily putting him down like a sick dog, instead of Kane Interference #614 and a gently caress finish.

The Brock/Cena main event was amazing. You had a PPV main event bell-to-bell squash of the top guy of the past decade. They've royally hosed up Brock and the Brock Rub since then, but that match in 2014 was like holy poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With Goldberg/Lesnar coming up, what are some other big matches that only happened twice?

- Hogan/Warrior
- Hogan/Rock
- Rock/Cena

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gavok posted:

With Goldberg/Lesnar coming up, what are some other big matches that only happened twice?

- Hogan/Warrior
- Hogan/Rock
- Rock/Cena

Far as I can tell, Savage/Steamboat only ever happened twice on TV (Superstars)/PPV (Mania 3) though they had some house show matches.
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=87&nr=25&page=2

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Far as I can tell, Savage/Steamboat only ever happened twice on TV (Superstars)/PPV (Mania 3) though they had some house show matches.
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=87&nr=25&page=2

It also happened in the Wrestling Classic tournament. It was one of the better matches of the show, which translates to "Hey, this is starting to get good-- and it's over."

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gavok posted:

Hogan/Arn Anderson. AA won both. :D

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No Mercy 1999 for the fun ladder match (the first of several classic E&C/Hardyz ladder matches before the Dudleyz entered the picture) and the main event which was really good even with the screwy finish.

If you disagree, please look at the slate of 1999 WWF PPVs and see what I had to work with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TL posted:

I'd say Summerslam for 98 and 2000. Definitely WrestleMania for 2001.

It's hard for me not to go with Survivor Series for '98. The match quality isn't high but the storytelling is pretty good, IIRC

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

- Hogan/Warrior
- Hogan/Rock
- Rock/Cena

I feel like Shawn Michaels and Rey only happened once or twice.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Shawn Michaels and Rey only happened once or twice.

Twice as a singles match. A RAW on November 13, 2005 and a Smackdown on January 26, 2010. Never on PPV

A question of my own: someone recently brought up those weekly episodes where there was a through-line for the entire night based on massive Shield handicap main events. That kind of "this specific story defines this episode" structure isn't that rare for weekly shows, but what are some examples of PPVs where one important storyline recurs throughout the show and closes it out? Something like No Mercy 2007, where Triple H and Randy Orton vying for the vacant title took up multiple matches and segments

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's hard for me not to go with Survivor Series for '98. The match quality isn't high but the storytelling is pretty good, IIRC

My favorite PPV of that era because of the awesome storytelling. I always look at it and I'm baffled that this came from Russo. However, looking back so many of my favorite things in wrestling came from Russo. Maybe he doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

jred250 posted:

My favorite PPV of that era because of the awesome storytelling. I always look at it and I'm baffled that this came from Russo. However, looking back so many of my favorite things in wrestling came from Russo. Maybe he doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

Dude was supporting D'Lo Brown behind the scenes. He can't possibly be all wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jred250 posted:

You are baffled a PPV with wall to wall terrible matches, dumb swerves and a Montreal rehash came from Russo?

bartok
May 10, 2006

jred250 posted:

When was the last time you watched that show? It's not good and Russo deserves even more hate for reminding me how kinda poo poo the Attitude Era was until he left.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot about the rehash. That was awful.

Was Russo involved with the Kane storyline/introduction? That's a loving great story and I don't know how much he was involved in late 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

For such a significant moment the Montreal screw job has become the most boring thing in wrestling