Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

On the other hand, here's a Disco on all seasons just cruising up almost as easily as the 4Runner.

There's plenty of cars out there absolutely clowning on this effort.

https://twitter.com/ferio_252/status/1723139057314873543?t=Vf4ZTkjbqP4dQYiwxsGuCg&s=19

I think we need to discuss the face Elon has little clue as to what the truck was supposed to be which is why everything is pointing to it being loving garbage. It was supposed to be AWD off roader, supposed to pull a billion tons, supposed to also be a boat for a brief period of time(?!)... As with everything else that has ever been designed, if you try to make a thing do more it inevitably sucks poo poo at most of it. But they never really settled on any of these ideas so it's not even attempting to do any of them now, it's just a bigger, fatter Tesla that looks like complete poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it's just a bigger, fatter Tesla that looks like complete poo poo.

Hey come on now, my nephew designed this thing. He saw your comment and now he's crying and demanding a juice box and some cookies.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

That’s a very specific kind of track where every big vehicle will struggle, that’s the land of the Suzuki pajero or jimny, not honking huge ones.

I think you could search on YouTube for that specific course and will see wranglers getting as stuck.

lol a crown vic could scale that obstacle.

Hollister hills is south of San Jose, there is no pajeros or jimnys that came here en masse.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's plenty of cars out there absolutely clowning on this effort.

https://twitter.com/ferio_252/status/1723139057314873543?t=Vf4ZTkjbqP4dQYiwxsGuCg&s=19

I think we need to discuss the face Elon has little clue as to what the truck was supposed to be which is why everything is pointing to it being loving garbage. It was supposed to be AWD off roader, supposed to pull a billion tons, supposed to also be a boat for a brief period of time(?!)... As with everything else that has ever been designed, if you try to make a thing do more it inevitably sucks poo poo at most of it. But they never really settled on any of these ideas so it's not even attempting to do any of them now, it's just a bigger, fatter Tesla that looks like complete poo poo.

I almost forgot about his boat claim , thanks for reminding me :newlol:

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren't too choppy," Musk wrote.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Has anybody been stupid enough to try and get a Grand Wagoneer up that?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Franco Caution posted:

I almost forgot about his boat claim , thanks for reminding me :newlol:

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren't too choppy," Musk wrote.

Funny enough the BYD U8 actually accomplished the boating claim in a much more refined vehicle.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Funny enough the BYD U8 actually accomplished the boating claim in a much more refined vehicle.

Video for whoever is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6V_nc4OT0

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Someone should try that hill thing with a regular Tesla, like a model 3 or whatever the gently caress.

Obviously if it doesn't make it, don't post the video, but if it makes it up there easier than the Cyber Cuck, then post the fuckin poo poo out of it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:siren::siren::siren:AI:SS 2023 - Late But Not Forgotten:siren::siren::siren:

I'm running it this year to give slothrop a well-deserved break:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047118

This is a pretty late start and the deadlines are tighter, so don't dilly-dally.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jeep Gladiators are selling for $10k under MSRP, regular Wranglers are going for a few grand under.

But the Gladiator has way more standard features so it's a killer deal right now I'm tempered to go drive one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it another Giant Piece of poo poo though

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 12, 2023

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't it another giant Piece of poo poo though

Yeah but have you driven one? They're giant!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't it another giant Piece of poo poo though

Sometimes, quantity is it's own quality.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jeep Gladiators are selling for $10k under MSRP, regular Wranglers are going for a few grand under.

But the Gladiator has way more standard features so it's a killer deal right now I'm tempered to go drive one

That's the ridiculous thing with a bed right? It's so massive and looks like a turd that's about to break in two whenever I see my neighbor's on the street.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't it another Giant Piece of poo poo though

Yeah, but you’re getting Jeep reliability out of the deal.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

They suck. Owned one for 2 months. Unless you need a truck bed and go off road it’s a waste of money. The ‘oh this kind of looks cool’ factor is quickly overwhelmed by how unliveable it is.

And I’m a Jeep/Stellantis fanboy.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

davecrazy posted:

They suck. Owned one for 2 months. Unless you need a truck bed and go off road it’s a waste of money. The ‘oh this kind of looks cool’ factor is quickly overwhelmed by how unliveable it is.

It's both a terrible Jeep and a terrible truck, yeah?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I figured something was wrong with Gladiators when I didn't see roads swarmed with them despite being a Jeep and a truck.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What’s so bad about the Gladiator? I figured something was up considering the number of homes I see with a Wrangler and a pickup truck parked in the driveway. I assumed there was a reason why those people just didn’t buy a Gladiator.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Initially the gladiator was a completely* new model going for way over MSRP because there was a limited supply and a lot of demand and it was a big deal to own one at launch. Now it's just the Jeep Truck which is a truck but with all the livability problems of having a jeep as your DD

*take this with an enormous grain of salt

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Mr. Apollo posted:

What’s so bad about the Gladiator? I figured something was up considering the number of homes I see with a Wrangler and a pickup truck parked in the driveway. I assumed there was a reason why those people just didn’t buy a Gladiator.
It's not short enough of a wheelbase to do well as a jeep, and doesn't have enough towing or payload to be good as a truck. And as he said there's a lot of livability issues with driving a Jeep daily.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I agree that the long wheelbase makes it a poor choice for a lot of offroading - but it's not a fullsize. The GM Colorado/Canyon are rated for 7700lb, Gladiator 7650lb, Ranger 7500lb, and the next best from there is the Tacoma at 6800lb. The Colorado/Canyon and Gladiator even both use rear axles derived from the Dana 44.

Payload specs are harder to nail down since they vary widely on trim, but even then they're right in the thick of the midsize class at ~1500lb.

With all that said, the Gladiator brings all the day-to-day annoyances of a Wrangler (solid front axle with terrible steering, aerodynamics somehow worse than a brick, noisy, leaky, etc) without as much capability on tough trails. I will forever argue that the right way to own a Wrangler is to not, and the least-wrong way to own a Wrangler is for it not to be anything but a toy. If I really wanted a pickup to offroad with, I'd be eyeballing the ZR2/AT4 or the Ranger Raptor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't off road, what makes it attractive to me is I tow a boat and make lots of fishing trips to the Keys with the family and need more room for poo poo that the bed would be perfect for.

Also since I live in Florida the convertible part is nice, taking the doors off, etc.

But this will all go out the window if i hate the way it drives and I probably will so :lol:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

It drives like a brick and gets really wiggly around 70mph on the highway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah if it sucks on the highway then no bueno

What I really wanted was a Maverick but they are still priced over MSRP gently caress that. I think if I wait awhile that will change tho, the dealers seem to be getting more stock of them so it's only a matter of time until they need to get rid of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

It drives like a brick and gets really wiggly around 70mph on the highway.

Yeah, that's the Jeep Thing that they advertise so heavily about.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Also since I live in Florida the convertible part is nice, taking the doors off, etc.

As someone that owns a convertible and always has the top down when I'm driving it, I can assure you that anything convertible related would just suck absolute poo poo for most of the year in Florida.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah a convertible in Florida sucks just as bad as anywhere else on account of you DO NOT want to be in the sun. During the winter sure fine whatever but the sun is still brutal. You're just on the opposite timetable of say, the midwest.

A bimini top with the roof covered but the sides open is the premier 'convertible' but Jeeps now have that fold back roof thing which does the opposite.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Edit isn't the quote button

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't forget the added costs of jeep ownership. If you don't have at least $1000 in gas cans and traction boards strapped to the side of your jeep you'll get laughed out of the mall parking lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

As someone that owns a convertible and always has the top down when I'm driving it, I can assure you that anything convertible related would just suck absolute poo poo for most of the year in Florida.

Lol nah I've lived here most of my life and have owned multiple convertibles, I know how to convertible in Florida trust me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lol nah I've lived here most of my life and have owned multiple convertibles, I know how to convertible in Florida trust me

I mean I've only been here 15~ years so I bow before you're here-longer streak, but you are out of your mind on this one. A convertible here is just like a convertible anywhere else, really awesome when everything works out weather wise but most of the time worse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, you know better than me I suppose :v:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

I have heard that the Mojave trim is the best driving since all the “Baja running” improvements address the limitations of it being a stretched wrangler. Savagegeese did a Mojave trim video that might be worth watching.

edit: I also happen to be looking at gladiators because I’m a weirdo and they seem cool to me 🤷‍♂️

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 13, 2023

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I mean I've only been here 15~ years so I bow before you're here-longer streak, but you are out of your mind on this one. A convertible here is just like a convertible anywhere else, really awesome when everything works out weather wise but most of the time worse.

But 90% of weather is convertible weather?

What do you mean you don't put the top down when it's in the 50s?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

That's not the problem with convertibles. It's the whole sunny, 95, and high humidity that's the issue.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I don't off road, what makes it attractive to me is I tow a boat and make lots of fishing trips to the Keys with the family and need more room for poo poo that the bed would be perfect for.

But this will all go out the window if i hate the way it drives and I probably will so :lol:

You'll hate it. Buy a land cruiser or wagoneer.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Lmao convertible in Florida is a horrid idea.

poo poo I had a moonroof i hated because it baked my head.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

davecrazy posted:

The only thing I found appealing about the Gladiator was being able to get a high spec trim with a manual transmission. Should I assume that's not enough to redeem it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrLogan posted:

Because here Sarasota it's only in the 50s for two, maybe 3 months and that's only at night. The summer and fall and spring are brutal UV index nightmares to have it directly exposed to your skin.

The same reason why lots of people here consider window tinting a necessity and why a sun shade is seen as a requirement by lots of folks explains why a convertible here is as useful as a convertible up north. You roughly have the same amount of time to enjoy them just I can do it in the winter down here but up north you get the summer and spring.

Plus it rains all the goddamned time here as well.