Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I haven't played GW in years, but seeing the dervish preview is making me want to play again. Maybe finish vanquishing for some GW2 unlocks.

What's the state of the game? It seems like what most people talk about is the easiest way to clear PvE with heroes.

Is it safe to say that the old days when you could have a group of eight humans is long gone? That can be a good and a bad thing, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fatal Error posted:

As nice as it is to let players blow poo poo up solo, I do sorta miss the innocence of people playing through prophecies, and forming up a group at every mission (and sometimes even outposts)

Well, it's viable to play with other people when you're doing end-game dungeons and some, if not most, of the Beyond content. Hard Mode missions could benefit grouping with other people too. Otherwise, yeah, normal mode stuff and certain quests (even in hard mode) can be done relatively easy with heroes & henchmen.

I'm looking forward seeing a 2-man Urgoz or Deep team build surface once the update hits though :3:

Improbably Sexy
Dec 25, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Is it safe to say that the old days when you could have a group of eight humans is long gone? That can be a good and a bad thing, I guess.

Player activity is primarily centered around elite missions (like veonenergee said), and the daily Zaishen Challenge Quests. If you go to the outpost associated with that day's Zaishen Mission or Zaishen Bounty, it'll be pretty easy to form an all-human party for those.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

What's the state of the game? It seems like what most people talk about is the easiest way to clear PvE with heroes.

Grouping with other people isn't gone, it's just more convenient with heroes/hench. Plus its hilarious to see what hero team builds you can come with. But when the HoM rewards were announced, LLJK had a HUGE influx of old and new players, and we were all making normal rounds in Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Urgoz's Warren, The Deep, and doing various Beyond/end-game content together. At one point we had a full group of 12 goons for Urgoz, and that was probably THE most fun I had playing this game. But as mentioned prior, the hype sort of settled after everyone filled their HoMs and finished up all the current Beyond content available.

I personally still group up with random pubbies if no goons are on for the daily War in Kryta bounties. Sometimes I do them with heroes, but if I get bored, I'll post up a LFG.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

testsubject posted:

If this describes you, congratulations! You too can enjoy the endless restarts of HA while being tabbed out playing SC2 or WoW. Just give me your steam name or some way of contacting you outside the game.
My steam name is the same as this one. But like I said, the last time I did any real PvP (I'm not counting the occasional pug codex arena or random match for Zaishen rewards) was over 5 years ago. So if things haven't changed all that much, then sure, I won't need much coaching. But if things like setting up 3/4ths of your skill bar to do nothing but keep the ghostly hero on the altar are no longer in vogue, well...

And is IWAY your derp-around gimmick team? Even back then it was pretty much a fading fad, especially since we generally ran a ranger spike build that trivialized it. I liked my job because it almost entirely consisted of casting order of pain every time the vent caller was halfway done counting down.

Also, I don't own Nightfall. Are there any particularly important skills I'm missing out on?

I also feel like I should mention that I won't be around this weekend and will be gone for several months starting in March.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Just been trying the free trial, and now I'm tempted to get the full game, and that's just from solo questing with AI henchmen, a feature that's pretty cool since I've never seen it in the few MMOs I've played before.

Since I've never played Guild Wars before, should I do/buy the episodes in a specific order? And would it be a good idea to not do PVP until I've played the game for a while, or does that not matter too much?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow, when is this dervish update coming? I'm slogging through the factions campaign and really don't feel like rerolling to another profession to complete all the campaigns.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Eggn0g posted:

Since I've never played Guild Wars before, should I do/buy the episodes in a specific order? And would it be a good idea to not do PVP until I've played the game for a while, or does that not matter too much?

As for buying, you can get the trilogy pretty cheap on steam. As for playing order, people often recommend starting in Nightfall so you can get heros. Either that or starting in Factions then going into NF as soon as you can to get heroes (I don't know which is quicker).

As for PvP in GW, you can get into Random Arenas and Alliance Battles* anytime you want. Guild v. Guild, Hall of Heroes and other such things are things that require a good knowledge of pvp already.

*Alliance Battles isn't really true pvp, because you can avoid fighting live players and can just kill enemy AI.

Lyer posted:

Wow, when is this dervish update coming? I'm slogging through the factions campaign and really don't feel like rerolling to another profession to complete all the campaigns.

Rumor is that the update comes out this week (Veon knows more about this).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BathroomTile posted:

As for buying, you can get the trilogy pretty cheap on steam.

That reminds me: how does buying it on Steam work? Does each campaign get its own listing as a separate game in your list? Or is there just one "Guild Wars" game, and each campaign just adds to your list of CD keys?

Dendra
May 3, 2009
I don't see why there would be a different listing for each game, if Steam did that it'd be pretty stupid because you would have three different accounts with one campaign each. Probably they give you a key for each game and you create an account normally. Ask in the Steam thread

veonenergee posted:

I'm looking forward seeing a 2-man Urgoz or Deep team build surface once the update hits though :3:

There might even be a 1 man team (I can dream)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Eggn0g posted:

It doesn't really matter which order you buy them in, but generally it's been recommended that if you're starting from scratch, Nightfall is your best bet. It's a lot easier than Prophecies & Factions in terms of getting your character to max level with all the proper gear, and overall it has a more robust PvE experience. And as mentioned, Nightfall is the only primary episode that gives your character customizable AI heroes, which really makes the game that much more enjoyable.

I should note that each primary episode is standalone and self contained; they all have their own beginner area that gets you acquainted with the game and its mechanics, and they don't require a character from another campaign to be played. Only the expansion episode requires a level 20 character that has beaten either Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall.

As for PvP, I'd recommend getting a grasp on what works and what doesn't during your outings throughout an episode's storyline. Once you realize what combination of skills are effective, I'd then say you go through a couple rounds of Random Arena, as that's the most painless way to get acquainted with PvP. Just be prepared to be called a noob and poo poo. I've been playing the game for a little over 5 years now and still have internet tough guys calling me out on not using my resurrection signet fast enough during RA. Heh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2011

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Dendra posted:

There might even be a 1 man team (I can dream)

11 hero update

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

veonenergee posted:

Only the expansion episode requires a level 20 character that has beaten either Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall.

Actually the expansion only requires level 10 now. For levels 10-19, you get a buff to be essentially a level 20 character (you have no direct control over your attributes while in the expansion areas until level 20 though, as the buff assigns attributes for you based on your skills and weapon).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So wait, you have to roll up a character for each campaign? I can see that being good but an interesting choice for an MMO. But then a lot of the things I've read about GW looks that way.

I guess then that the HoM stuff is for whatever character you decided to take into the expansion?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

So wait, you have to roll up a character for each campaign? I can see that being good but an interesting choice for an MMO. But then a lot of the things I've read about GW looks that way.

I guess then that the HoM stuff is for whatever character you decided to take into the expansion?
No, you don't

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

No, I was just saying that each episode is self-contained and one doesn't require another to play (except the expansion for obvious reasons).

And your Hall of Monuments is linked to a single NCsoft account, so for instance, I have 5 PvE characters under my account that have various titles and achievements; my HoM combines them all. If you do a search for each of my characters using the HoM calculator online, they all have the same amount of points.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Splizwarf posted:

A few hours into a campaign, you unlock the ability to travel between campaigns you own whenever you'd like. If you wanted, you could make a Nightfall character who starts in Elona, then bring him or her over to Cantha to do the Factions campaign for a few missions, then head back to pick up where you left off in Elona.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the optimal play path for a person more concerned with consuming all the succulent content than powerleveling quickly into a disinterested state?

I liked the "XP Gain On/Off" toggle switch that City of Heroes eventually got; in that game there's much more content than levels, and before they added that button some people would kill their characters over and over to stay in perma-debt and thus advance half as quickly.

\/\/\/e: oh wow, that answers my question pretty nicely.\/\/\/

CuddlyZombie posted:

A few hours into a campaign, you unlock the ability to travel between campaigns you own whenever you'd like. If you wanted, you could make a Nightfall character who starts in Elona, then bring him or her over to Cantha to do the Factions campaign for a few missions, then head back to pick up where you left off in Elona.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

What's the optimal play path for a person more concerned with consuming all the succulent content than powerleveling quickly into a disinterested state?

I liked the "XP Gain On/Off" toggle switch that City of Heroes eventually got; in that game there's much more content than levels, and before they added that button some people would kill their characters over and over to stay in perma-debt and thus advance half as quickly.

\/\/\/e: oh wow, that answers my question pretty nicely.\/\/\/
You'll hit max level before you even hit the meat of any campaign. levels 1-19 are your training mode, the game starts once you hit 20.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This game sounds pretty cool.

Dr. Disdain
Nov 30, 2006

Rule breakers will be shot
Can someone invite me to LLJK? Started with Nightfall back at launch, have a 20 Dervish but have started playing a Mesmer. Character is Kyren Marx.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What the heck, even with the ugly ol' hobo cape, I should probably rejoin LLJK.

Could you give out an invite to Cuddly Zombie, please? :shobon:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can Charon Atras get an invite to LLJK?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fatal Error posted:

As nice as it is to let players blow poo poo up solo, I do sorta miss the innocence of people playing through prophecies, and forming up a group at every mission (and sometimes even outposts)
Yea. I always found this game boring as all hell when solo... :(

Good in a group, though

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Yo Olds/Richard Bong,

Would it be cool if you made Veonenergee/Kysha Melitharnith guild leader?

-He's been very active while everyone else was gone.
-He' maintaining a GW2 AND started this new GW1 thread, which is getting people to play again.
-He knows how to play, and he likes helping people out.
-He's been maintaining the guild, kicking non-active people, inviting new ones, and providing information to us all.

I think it would be good if LLJK had an active guild leader again, and he's certainly the one for now.

Love,
BathroomTile/Gunnar Artorius

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011
So, I actually bought the Guild Wars Trilogy + EotN during the Steam Christmas Sale simply because I wanted to earn HoM points as GW2 looks really awesome. I managed to hit 30 points within a month of playing from scratch and decided to go for 45 points. I'm currently at 33 points, but I spent the last few weeks farming so I should be able to hit 42 points in just about another week.

If anyone needs advice with their HoM, post your IGN and I'll be happy to help you plan out the cheapest and fastest HoM route you should take.

Edit: I just hit 37 HoM points. :)

Aelesia fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 15, 2011

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Aelesia posted:

So, I actually bought the Guild Wars Trilogy + EotN during the Steam Christmas Sale simply because I wanted to earn HoM points as GW2 looks really awesome. I managed to hit 30 points within a month of playing from scratch and decided to go for 45 points. I'm currently at 33 points, but I spent the last few weeks farming so I should be able to hit 42 points in just about another week.

If anyone needs advice with their HoM, post your IGN and I'll be happy to help you plan out the cheapest and fastest HoM route you should take.

That's very impressive. I've had the game for like a million years and I'm still only 20/.

I plan on getting kurzick armour & sunspear armour to take me up to 23 and actually getting round to completing NF and EOtN which should, along with the kurzick title, get me to 26.

After that, however..... I have no idea. Any tips?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

404notfound posted:

That reminds me: how does buying it on Steam work? Does each campaign get its own listing as a separate game in your list? Or is there just one "Guild Wars" game, and each campaign just adds to your list of CD keys?

You only get one entry in your list, with two CD keys (one for the trilogy, one for EotN) that you need to add to your NCSoft-Account.

e: ^^^^^ I got to 30 points after about 300 hours total played time, according to Steam. I got the last 5 points by endlessly farming the snowball-quest during Wintersday, to get enough money to buy 3 armors, 3 weapons and 11 minis.
Try to max the Fellowship monument, those points are easy if you can beat Glint's challenge (I did it with a friend + heroes, which worked nicely), and finish the 3 campaigns with the bonus for 6 titles (Eternal Protector of... and Eternal Hero of...)

I got my 30 points from 20 miniatures (5), full Fellowship(8), 5 Titles (8),5 Armors (4 + Luxon = 5 Points) and 5 weapons (2 Opressor, 3 Destroyer = 4 points).

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 15, 2011

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011

Chalks posted:

That's very impressive. I've had the game for like a million years and I'm still only 20/.

I plan on getting kurzick armour & sunspear armour to take me up to 23 and actually getting round to completing NF and EOtN which should, along with the kurzick title, get me to 26.

After that, however..... I have no idea. Any tips?

Yup looks pretty good so far and quite similar to mine. These are the cheapest and easiest to obtain in my opinion.

Devotion:
(1) 1 Unique Minature
Try buying a Black Moa Chick which can be found for about 60 - 70k. Alternatively you can do the quest to get it for free.

Fellowship:
(1) 10 Companion Statues
(1) 20 Companion Statues
(1) 30 Companion Statues

Sounds a bit intimidating, but it's really not that hard especially if you get the hang of the challenges. Definitely try shooting for 20 companions. If you really can't get the hang of it and you have lots of gold to burn you can just buy the armor pieces for about 8k - 10k for each hero.

Resillence:
(1) 7 Armor Statues
If you have enough Asuran and Ebon Vanguard reputation points then it'll cost you 40k per piece. Otherwise you'll have to go for the more expensive ones which are 60k each.

Valor:
(1) 5 Weapon Statues
If you finished Hearts of the North then you should pretty much have enough medals to make a second opressor weapon. Then just spend about 80 - 100k more to craft 2 more Destroyer weapons.

Also yes, if you can the hang of Glints challenge then you should be able to farm 10 EotN upgrades easily. I realized it was a great way to earn money so I do about 1 - 2 Glint runs every day. I even bought my old Prophecies account an EotN key so I can bring it along to AFK and reap twice the rewards.

Aelesia fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 15, 2011

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aelesia posted:

I'm restarting my Necro (Charon Atras) in the Factions campaign but I have never play it, nor have I ever beaten Nightfall. I am a hug baby and need people to tell me what to do.

Does this still work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYxYBlLCtk

Improbably Sexy
Dec 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Does this still work?

This video is the most hilarious "guide" I've ever seen. But yeah, you can still do everything that this guy is not showing you how to do.

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm restarting my Necro (Charon Atras) in the Factions campaign but I have never play it, nor have I ever beaten Nightfall. I am a hug baby and need people to tell me what to do.

Does this still work?

Well my first 2 - 3 weeks were just spent completing all 3 campaigns, so I'd be have access to more or less every area, heroes and skills. I suggest you concentrate on doing that first before trying to get any points.

Also try to head over to Nightfall or EotN relatively early in the game so you can get access to heroes, and try buiding the first 3 heroes in this thread. You will start to roll most areas once you get these heroes and their skills.

You might want to try going straight for Master's reward the first time you're doing Factions and Nightfall too for an additional 2 titles

Aelesia fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 15, 2011

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Am I confused in thinking that the only way to get elite skills on heroes is to have a character of their class developed enough to go use a signet of capture on a boss?

I just hit 20 last night, after getting the signet of capture quest I broke off and started exploring the other continents. Prophecies feels especially messy in comparison.

Char name is Ophelia Amiton if someone thinks to throw a guild invite, though I don't imagine it'll be ready to do anything in the near future.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can change your secondary class after a certain point, so you don't need to level another character to capture elite skills.
Or you could just buy them with Balthazar faction if you're into PvP...that also unlocks skills for heroes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Stagger_Lee posted:

Am I confused in thinking that the only way to get elite skills on heroes is to have a character of their class developed enough to go use a signet of capture on a boss?

I just hit 20 last night, after getting the signet of capture quest I broke off and started exploring the other continents. Prophecies feels especially messy in comparison.

Char name is Ophelia Amiton if someone thinks to throw a guild invite, though I don't imagine it'll be ready to do anything in the near future.

As Tamba mentioned, any skills (both regular and elite) you unlock on your account with PvP earned faction become instantly available to all your heroes. Regular skills cost 1000 faction points, while elite skills cost 3000 faction points. Unlocking skills this way is unbiased towards your profession; so for example if you're a Mesmer/Necro you can unlock elite skills for your elementalist heroes without issue, granted you earn enough faction doing PvP.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Oh, god, right. I just got the ability to switch secondary classes, also, but didn't put two and two together.

Trelack
May 23, 2009
Might be worth adding OffGamers to the OP as a source for getting the Trilogy at ~$23 and EotN for ~$7.

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011

Trelack posted:

Might be worth adding OffGamers to the OP as a source for getting the Trilogy at ~$23 and EotN for ~$7.

Would like to recommend this site too. Bought my EotN key from them a few weeks ago and the delivered it within an hour.

oneangrydwarf
Mar 1, 2004

aka euphony
Just be aware that selling and trading accounts is against the Guildwars ToS and you could potentially get banned for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dendra
May 3, 2009

quote:

Also yes, if you can the hang of Glints challenge then you should be able to farm 10 EotN upgrades easily. I realized it was a great way to earn money so I do about 1 - 2 Glint runs every day. I even bought my old Prophecies account an EotN key so I can bring it along to AFK and reap twice the rewards.

Can you do this solo with H/H or do you need to grab a friend to come along?
I just started working on my Fellowship monument properly the other day

• Locked thread