Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tollymain posted:

Lilly, so okay, you've got these hexes you can throw around. Who did you first hex? What finally drove you to hex them?

Oh, you mean Jamie. Now that you mention it, she was how I came up with my plan.
We used to be 'friends' for a few weeks towards the end of 8th grade. Or I thought so until she started making fun of me in front of everyone, she seemed to think it was funny. But she didn't think it was funny when people started laughing at the sores all over her face and all her hair fell out, and she really didn't like it when she kept waking up with bugs crawling all over her. I think her family moved out of town.

Tollymain posted:

Lilly, tell me about the time Melina Dupont first introduced you to the fact that, hey, magic's out there in the world, it actually does exist; and that you have the hole in your soul that lets you do it too.

It wasn't real dramatic or anything, I was poking around the stacks looking for some books to read and she mentioned some she had in a back room that I might be interested in. She went off to fill out some paperwork for the library and I went to check them out. I was super into the books when Melina came back, I mean who doesn't want to be able to cast spells and poo poo? I thought she was leading me on though when she said it was real, but she showed me a few tricks, floated a book around the room, lit a flame in her hand, that sort of thing. Said anyone can do it if they're smart enough, she'd teach me how if I wanted, of course I wanted! I think she might be lying about the first part, if everyone could do magic then wouldn't everyone be doing magic? She probably just didn't want to scare me off, and I like being special.

She says there are a few other witches in town, but we've all got to keep on the down-low, best if we don't know too many of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Tollymain posted:

Karen, how did you find out that you can't re-die? Was it an accident or did somebody try to kill you?

Ha ha, it was pretty nuts. Early on, maybe a week after I'd woken up. So I'm walking at night, feeling pretty bummed out because I still hadn't figured out this whole "being dead" thing and I was just constantly hungry, not really paying attention to where I'm going, cross the street, and guess what?

Get hit by a semi truck. Splattered all over the road.

I wake up in a ditch, maybe a hundred feet away from where I figure I got hit, my clothes in tatters, feeling fine. Well, still hungry, but fine. It was early morning, a while after I got hit. I wake up again because there are these two guys standing over me, one's got a stick he's poking me with, trying to figure out what the deal is.
So, I wake up, open my eyes, then start getting up, and the two guys poo poo bricks, and that's when I realize, "oh my gosh, fear tastes delicious." Like, I could finally pick out that wonderful taste I'd been getting whiffs of for a week, and I can tell it's from these guys, from their sheer terror from this apparently dead girl that just sat up and started groaning.
So, I grin for a split-second, then start playing it up, moaning and groaning like a zombie, while the two guys scream and run away and leave this big fat load of terror hanging in the air. I stand there for a bit, breathing it in, then shuffle off back home to change my clothes.

quote:

Do you remember anything about the first time you died?

Not a thing! My memories when I woke up were all blurry, like memories you have of stuff that happened years ago, with no clear endpoint. Like, I've got a handful of memories from sort of late on, but I can't really identify which one's the latest and they're all really boring, just going to school and stuff.
I have no idea how I died. When I woke up, there weren't any injuries or anything, it was like I'd just fallen asleep one day, then woken up five years later in a coffin.
In a coffin under like four feet of dirt.
In the dark.
No idea what was going on.

Man waking up sucked. Have I mentioned that?

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 19, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Tollymain posted:

Chloe, what does your um, friend, sound like? Is there anything distinctive about how they communicate with you?

What he sounds like? Uh... Christ, he doesn't sound like anything. Not really. Well... I guess sort of? It's hard to explain. Just listening to the bastard pretty much takes you're breath away. I'm not trying to be loving poetic, either -- you try holding a conversation with him and see how long you're standing.

He needs smoke or vapour or poo poo like that. Usually it's cigarette smoke, but it's been car exhaust a couple times. Oh! And paint thinner once -- don't even loving ask. Longass story. Anyway, you know dude's coming because the smoke starts to get really thick, and... heavy. It gets hard to see, and it clings to you, and soon you can't see poo poo and it's kind of hard to breathe. Or to loving move, even. And there's a voice in my ear, if you can even call it that. Like, you know how you can sort of make words by breathing in instead of out? It's like that, just barely there, but I can always hear him loud and goddamn clear.

The smoke keeps getting worse the longer he talks, too. He can understand me even if I'm gasping and coughing, but I've passed out a couple of times. Mom's not walked in on that yet, though -- lucky thing. Last thing I need right now is for her to get it into her head that I'm into heavier poo poo than I actually am.

He usually comes when I ask, as long as I've got something around for him to use. But sometimes he'll just show up unannounced. That's when he wants something from me. His requests haven't been too bad. Yet.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Daniel, you look a bit tired. Looks like being dead isn't anything like sleeping after all. What do you do in the night when everybody else is getting their eight hours of oblivion? How do you feel about no longer being able to sleep yourself?

I don't think about it much but sometimes, yeah. I get real tired and just want to get in a bed and take a nap. But it doesn't work, even if I close my eyes and try not to think or count sheep or pray. I just have to wait for it to pass. Still feel like poo poo though. Just one more reason I hate this "life."

Reading helps. I'll sit in the library (school or public, doesn't matter) or the bookstore and read whatever. Finished War and Peace in a week. Its overrated. Or I'll walk around town. I know Moreau like the back of my hand now, including a few shortcuts nobody else can use. Sometimes I'll wander the nature trails, looking for well, you know what. But I don't like being out there anymore.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
My god, how fast ARE you people!?

Emmet Lowe, the Hollow

Lots of people wonder what and where they've come from, and wonder what they were put on the earth for. Emmet Lowe, for all his other problems, doesn't have to wonder about those questions. He's made of white clay, marble dust, plaster of Paris, water of life, and a special capsule; he came from the imagination of his Creator/Master/Father, a sculptor-artist with a particular side-interest in alchemy and Kabbalistic mysticism, and ownership of a massive kiln; he was originally created to act as a manservant in the stead of said artist's previous retiring caretaker. He looks the way he does to facilitate that sort of valet duty, and to not draw too much attention--10 foot tall, top-heavy, magically animated clay figurine would evoke a lot more screams than 6 foot tall, pale, somewhat androgynous living garden ornament. Even if said living garden ornament didn't need to breathe, eat, sleep, speak, blink...or think.

He only gained those a few months ago, when, in a sudden epiphany about what immortal life actually entailed and how mortals ought to pursue it, the artist placed one last capsule in his mouth and placed him in the kiln one last time. Some people call themselves reborn as spiritual beings with water; he was quite literally reborn as a sentient being with fire. Unfortunately, the artist died not long afterwards, leaving the newly bright, always polite Emmet without much of a place in the world. But Master left behind a big private library with lots of pretty pictures--both his own and those made by others--so the world can't be all that bad, right?

...right?

pre:
Look: Immaculate, Soulless Eyes
Origin: Homunculus

Hot -1
Cold 0
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Conditions

A Blank Canvas
When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, 
and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it
off and add 1 to your roll.

Better Than Nothing
When you gain a Condition, mark experience

Sex Move
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs,
adding this sentence to the end of it. 

Darkest Self
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s
way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a
way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them
accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you
must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

My Strings | Strings on Me
Bella: 0|0
Chloe: 0|0
Guy: 0|2
Melanie: 2|0
Richard: 1|0

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
1) My Master always said that Moreau was beautiful; just that right mix of bucolic small-town life, untouched natural wonder surrounding, and upbeat city lights to inspire a man to create, he said. I am not sure if he is correct or not, but I have carried artist's easel, paint and brushes with him for long walks in the woods.

2) Dr. Dabrowsky, an art dealer. A mundane mortal, but he shared my Master's interests in mysticism, and is the only person he spoke the truth to of...my "birth". He is also my current legal guardian, or so it is written in the Moreau public school system.

3) Am I...supposed to feel something about my origins? I understand there are many films and plays where the characters on stage become increasingly erratic when told they are somehow "not human". I hope that is not my fate.

pfffffff, yeah right, dream on, Emmet.

4) If you aren't being serious, Monster Teen Drama Bullshit. If you are, Omnia Vincit Amor.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 8, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, you've been watching a few TV shows, trying to understand human nature. So far results have been inconsistent. Can you describe a couple that you've attempted to emulate and the resulting fallout?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Alright, I bit the bullet and did some good deeds for this book, time to get some use out of it. Otherwise, people are going to think I'm getting soft.

Hope I'm getting this right. I might want to change some of the stats after answering a few questions.
Kinda got a junior Doc Savager vibe after reading more about the Chosen one.
I was thinking of Cold, but this Skin seems to be decidedly Volatile dominant. How many problems am I going to be able to solve by punching them? "Do they fear your greatness, or your temper?".
I flip back and forth between an Asian character, which might tie in with the Mortal, or the, uh, Aryan look, which might be a hook for the werewolf. With a name like that and blue eyes, she's at least...yeah.

In trying to think of a second monster slayer backup, I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to share one with, Cocks Cable.
Er,or did I get this wrong, and they're both supposed to be PCs?

"Savage" Susie Chu, the Chosen One

In a word, she's driven.
Whether it's working out, boxing, studying, or cheerleading, she always puts in 110% effort. The price of failure is just too high to allow for any respite.

pre:
Strong Blue Eyes
Doing What's Necessary

1 Hot
-1 Cold
 2 Volatile
-1 Dark

Your Backstory
Two Friends
Aunt Morgan; domineering, caring, she always drives me to be more than I am

Nemesis
MC determined

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends,
mark experience.

Take the Blow
When you leap into the way and take
the blow instead of someone else, roll
with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the
harm instead of them, but reduce it by
1. • On a 7-9, you take the harm instead
of them.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of
your wounds, and cure all of your
Conditions. If they disgust you, give
them a String. If you disgust yourself,
give them a String.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re
not strong like you are. You need
to chase down the biggest threat
imaginable, immediately and alone.
Any challenges or dangers that you
encounter must be faced head on,
even if they might kill you. You escape
your Darkest Self when someone
comes to your rescue or you wake up
in the hospital, whichever comes first.
1) For me, Moreau is my home. It protects me, I protect it. A good, safe, stepping stone before I move out into the wider world.
2) My Aunt Morgan, who raised me after my parents died in an ogre battle an animal mauling a car accident, sad but nothing out of the ordinary. Domineering and strict, I know she loves me very much and wants the best for me. It just drives me crazy sometimes. I know it's a very hard world, but everyone needs to let their hair down or go crazy, right? Can't say I blame her, chopped up as she looks, she's been through a lot.
3) I...do I even have a Supernatural Nature? The world is full of problems. I'm here to solve them. I wish I had normal problems to solve, like world hunger. Being able to out-bench the football team is great, something I should be proud of, but...it really comes off as freakish strength, and would really make it hard to fit in.
4) Either of the previous suggestions are pretty good. If I had to come up with something new, my cursory examination of the game indicates "Things that Go Bonk in the Night".
5) I'm working on it.

Also, Sex Move is the weirdest sounding thing to me. I can't help but think of Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb".

...I definitely have the self-doubt part of the Chosen Skin down, at least. :( But I can't really think of any more.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 19, 2013

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Edit: nvm

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress it let's have a round 3 for questions why not :v:

You people are going to make it loving hard to pick :saddowns:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 19, 2013

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Who knew there was such interest for stupid teen angst just boiling under the surface of the forums?

You should make everyone write an E/N thread from their character's perspective.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you've been watching a few TV shows, trying to understand human nature. So far results have been inconsistent. Can you describe a couple that you've attempted to emulate and the resulting fallout?

Oh, yes, I have watched many television shows with Dr. Dabrowsky. Although, I must note, the most recent ones I have seen do not augur well for my future.

The first one was a traveling mins--erm, my apologies, I believe the word is "tele-evangelist"? The man was speaking about the book of Genesis in the Old Testament, in particular the line "dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." He went on to explain that it was the physical body that became dust, and that the immortal, God-given, life-giving soul would ascend to God, be judged, and if judged worthy, join other like-minded souls in heaven. I asked my guardian what this entails for me, since my life was given to me by my Master, and I was not certain whether my Master and this God were the same entity. He told me that my Master worshipped God as a divinity, and would not elaborate further. So it appears that, if the tele-evangelist is correct, I will be unable to join my Master, wherever he is now...

The second was a movie about a created being, much like myself, only he was apparently made of more modern materials than the clay and water of life that went into me. (Something along the lines of A.I. Artificial Intelligence.) My guardian seemed distraught during the final scene, so I asked him why he was crying. He explained that the created being in the film had far outlasted the rest of humanity, and was doomed to spend its final days alone, unwanted and unloved by anybody and anything, until it finally...the word he used was not "died", but "broke". This was after it had spent the majority of the movie pursuing that desire. Is this a fate I will share with that poor created man?

And the third...the third was a documentary about...spree killers. The narrator of the documentary seemed to go out of his way to emphasize, again and again, that when interacting with the rest of the world, said killers came across as freakish, lonely creatures, the faces they put on for the world to see artificial. Constructed. Hollow. The good doctor shut off the television after that, saying that most such murderers were actually talkative, active people who mostly look like anyone else. I do hope my guardian is correct on this matter.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Melanie, I notice you've got an english name. Well, technically originally french, but you know what I mean. What did they call you back in Taipei? Also, you've got a bit of a follower. Is there a word for a weaboo who's infatuated with Taiwan? How do you feel about them and their behavior? How do you behave towards them?

Yes. 靜怡... Lin Jingyi. Only my mother calls me that here. Maybe a few older folks in Chinatown. You can guess who I cannot stand hearing it from.

I do not know what to tell you about Josh. "Wannabes" like him do not get any special attention, not enough to give them a term. Call them otaku if you want. Yes, the same way you say it here and in Japan. It is not as if we do not import most of our popular trends from there.

Josh can do as he pleases, as long as he does not bother me about it. That does not happen, of course. He seems rather fixated on me, on whether I know this certain pop star, or read this great book (he learned the language to do so!), or what I feel about mainland China. I do not care. I know he does not truly care either, he is just following the trends like everyone else. I tell him what he wants, hoping it is enough to drive him away. Sometimes it is.

It is a waste. He has a good home. His parents are enviably stable. American culture is very young, but there is much to look up to in their heroes and histories. What does he think he can get from looking elsewhere?

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

gently caress it let's have a round 3 for questions why not :v:

You people are going to make it loving hard to pick :saddowns:

Welcome to MCing a *World game :v: I'm having fun already seeing what other people come up with.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lilly, you've managed to shed a lot of the old Lisa. You've still got a bit of a guilty pleasure that you can't quite get away from, though. What is it? How important is it that your new circles don't find out about it?

Melanie, you suspect that Moreau isn't the first place you've encountered the supernatural. There was an incident, back in Taipei; you shrugged it off at the time, but after what you've seen here maybe that memory is niggling at you. Can you tell us the story?

Iris, has the Fairy King ever let slip anything about why he sent you among the humans? It wouldn't have hardly been anything; and chances are if he did hint at something he was doing it entirely on purpose. How do you feel about that?

Karen, terror is one thing, but have you been experimenting with other kinds of fear? There's all kinds, you know. Protracted gut-clenching suspenseful fear, hopeless/helpless fear, more adult fears like financial situations and the security of your children...
And frankly, people are starting to look at you really weird. The weird semi-malicious pranks are forming a pattern. It's not obviously you every time, but... You're getting a reputation. How do you feel about this?

Chloe, what did you do to the last guy who insinuated you and Devon had something romantic going on? What kind of price did the Poisoner demand for his favor?

Uaica, there's one guy who gives you a lot of poo poo, and he just won't let up. Why haven't you done anything about it? What do you want to do about it?

Daniel, something came back with you. No, no, not some sort of demon or dark voice or anything, thank God. If he exists. Whatever. Anyway, it was just a piece of clothing. Or jewelry? Whatever it is, you can take it off, but it always comes back if nobody's around and you're not paying attention. Is it obnoxious? Embarrassing? Or is it something cool? Funny thing is, you're not sure if you actually owned it before. Nobody else seems to notice anything different about the way you dress. How do you feel about that?

Tucker, what's the one thing in your life you're the most proud of? An achievement? Something you own? Something about who you are right now? Is it openly known or a secret?
GimpInBlack, I'm curious what your original two choices would have been. Feel free to not answer if you don't feel like it.

Patrick, can I call you Pat? What's your dad like? I heard he did something that the townsfolk still whisper about. They say something terrible happened; what was it, and how do you feel about what they're saying? If your dad did do it, would you say he was justified?

Eli, what do you plan on doing about Vera when it's time to cut her loose? I'm not sure she's going to let go quietly, and she knows an awful lot of compromising things about you...

Kevin, how do you add people to your clique? Do you just spend a certain amount of time around them and slip in through the cracks? Do you need to be alone with them? Also, like you said, you've started to discover there are other people in your class who you can't get to, no matter how you try. You suspect there's more to them than meets the eye, like you; but different. Do you feel threatened? Are you all the more determined to add them to your clique? Or do you just stay the hell away?

Emmett, You kissed a girl. Did you like it?
Also, how have you adapted to being a high-schooler? How have you decidedly not been able to adapt yet?

Susie, who calls you by your nickname? Who calls you by your given name? How do you feel about both?
You've been sucked into a world where you might not belong, a world where monsters exist and humans aren't the top of the food chain. Where did this all start?

Deadline is being moved forward to February 21 due to overwhelmingly high interest
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but if I end up with 2 of every skin out there I'm going to have a real bitch of a time deciding on who gets in.

VVVV: Male for male with ___? Sorry, I don't exactly run on all cylinders.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 19, 2013

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

^^^ monster seeking men women or trans

I think at some point someone will just have to run a second game :v:

[Monsterhearts] amityville.craigslist.org m4mwt

iceyman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 19, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tollymain posted:

Patrick, can I call you Pat?

Sure, you can do that.

quote:

What's your dad like?

He's real big on the family being respected. Respect's important to him. But hey, he cares about us, right? I mean, he tries. And he says we've got a duty to take care of our own. I believe in that. That's why we're in charge, you know? Your pack is your life. You help them, period.

quote:

I heard he did something that the townsfolk still whisper about. They say something terrible happened; what was it, and how do you feel about what they're saying? If your dad did do it, would you say he was justified?

That's actually tied into it. My old man killed someone. Everyone knows it. Can't prove anything, of course. But he did it because someone came to him for help. See, we're kind of like...well, you know the Godfather? The whole 'day of my daughter's wedding' crap? We're kind of like that. Sort of. I mean, people come to us for help. Because we're in charge. And this time, my dad was asked to deal with a guy. See, the man who came in, his sister was married to the guy, but he hit her. Long story short, my dad told him he'd deal with things. That guy, he works for us now.

And the brother-in-law? Dad killed him. Hunted him down, tore him apart. Official reports say 'animal attack.' Which is technically true.

But everyone knows it was on my dad's orders, even if they don't know it was him directly.

Me, I say that you take care of your own. Dad and I might fight, but he's family. Now, I don't think he needed to kill the guy. Scare him, sure, but kill him, no. But that's our business. Someone asks me if he did right? I'm gonna back him up unless it's someone on the inside. You don't air your dirty laundry.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tollymain posted:

Lilly, you've managed to shed a lot of the old Lisa. You've still got a bit of a guilty pleasure that you can't quite get away from, though. What is it? How important is it that your new circles don't find out about it?

There was a guy I met on the internet named Carl, we used to play video games together and even did a bit of online roleplaying together, and when I say a bit I mean pretty much whenever I wasn't in the library or at school. We still keep in touch and spend some time online together now and then, and I did a bit of facebook stalking and drat is he cute, but god I would just die if people knew I spent time doing things like that. Not that they could I mean, I make sure to keep my internet history clear and he lives all the way across the country (and I don't think he even knows what town I live in) it just doesn't bear thinking about though.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Daniel, something came back with you. No, no, not some sort of demon or dark voice or anything, thank God. If he exists. Whatever. Anyway, it was just a piece of clothing. Or jewelry? Whatever it is, you can take it off, but it always comes back if nobody's around and you're not paying attention. Is it obnoxious? Embarrassing? Or is it something cool? Funny thing is, you're not sure if you actually owned it before. Nobody else seems to notice anything different about the way you dress. How do you feel about that?

Nobody really wears wristwatches anymore right? Except for me, apparently. Not that I asked for it.

Just look at it. Flashier than I would like if I had to wear a watch. Its too big for my tastes and drives me crazy when it gets cold. The beeping the alarm makes is horrible. I think I've got all the features figured out on it though; did you know you can make text appear? That was cool for a week or two. Even amazed some people in homeroom, until they forgot about it. And me.

But it won't go away and I've tried almost everything I can think of. Tried to trade it. Gave it to Kyle for his birthday. Sold it to the pawn shop. Threw it in a river. Dropped it in a woodchipper. Left it under a pillow. Gave it to Kyle for Christmas. Left it on the road. No luck, guess I'm stuck with it.

There are too many neat watches out there so I chose one at random.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Tollymain posted:

Karen, terror is one thing, but have you been experimenting with other kinds of fear? There's all kinds, you know. Protracted gut-clenching suspenseful fear, hopeless/helpless fear, more adult fears like financial situations and the security of your children...

Terror is like sugar. It's intense and wonderful. Her tastes are developing, though, and she's moving away from just the shocks. Quite often she'll stalk someone, and simply the action of stalking them and not being too careful makes enough slight rustling and other signs that they pick up on, get nervous about. Like a slow cooker.
She hasn't considered adult fears. She knows a lot of the teachers have... interesting sorts of tastes about them, and probably after some contemplation she'd realize why, maybe connecting it to rumors about how their personal lives are going, but at the moment it's not overt.
Part of what Karen prides herself on, what lets her say to herself that she's still human, is that she really tries not to cause long-term damage. Pranks are perfect because they have sensible explanations and are usually pretty low impact, and because a few seconds of terror are usually all she wants or needs. Lasting physical harm bothers her, lasting psychological harm only a little less (she'd never want to actually traumatize someone). The idea of feeding off of something like a person's fears about divorce or financial troubles would make her feel pretty guilty.

quote:

And frankly, people are starting to look at you really weird. The weird semi-malicious pranks are forming a pattern. It's not obviously you every time, but... You're getting a reputation. How do you feel about this?

Honestly fine. Some people think she's creepy. Great! She can hang out around them and sort of graze on their mild insecurities and unease. Her emotions are pretty dead, and a lot of her attachments to real people are focused around habits and rationalizations. She doesn't exactly have friends, and doesn't mind. The normality of living at school is enough to make her happy, and people feeling uneasy around her doesn't bother her.
If anything, hanging around and just being sort of creepy, only occasionally getting a rush from some prank, seems to her like a fine way to live.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, You kissed a girl. Did you like it?
Also, how have you adapted to being a high-schooler? How have you decidedly not been able to adapt yet?

To be honest, the incident would be better described as "a girl kissed me." It was after school had ended for the day, and the girl seemed rather intoxicated, possibly from cannabis. She asked in a slurred tone if I would "mind". I assured her that, even though I was not sure what she was asking about I would not mind either way, and she reached in and...kissed me. On the lips. Several times. I am not entirely sure how I ought to feel; I am told that she is described as "not unattractive", but also told that first kisses are not generally done under the influence of psychoactive chemicals, or that they do not "count" for whatever reason.

As for my high school career generally, I must say it is quite an interesting change from being a valet to my Master. Not that my Master was in any way bad to me, but there is something...stimulating, I suppose is the term, about the place, the student body, the teachers. Unfortunately, one area I have utterly failed to socially adapt to is vocabulary; all attempts on my part to speak like my newfound peers have ended in dismal failure. Since I have heard that "that guy who speaks in the funny formal cant" is considered a less demeaning label than "that idiot who can't even speak his own language properly", I have simply stopped attempting to convert my tongue to that of my fellow students. I shall simply have to grin and bear it, I suppose.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

Tollymain posted:

Eli, what do you plan on doing about Vera when it's time to cut her loose? I'm not sure she's going to let go quietly, and she knows an awful lot of compromising things about you...

poo poo. I try to avoid thinking about it, that takes me down a dark trail of thought, because it would be so easy. "Hey, Vera..." Jump off this roof. Cut your wrists. Kill yourself. Oh, we should have seen this coming, they'll say. Or just drink too much blood. Give the police a bloodless corpse with a bite mark on the neck, what a great story for the nightly news. "Vampires? In my town? It's more likely than you think! More at 11." And even if I ended up a suspect, wouldn't it be so fun to outsmart them and get away with it?

But then I just laugh and smoke another joint and try to forget about it. I couldn't do that, right? Surely, some better opportunity will present itself? Drive her away to some other angsty goth guy she'd be better off with and make her forget all about me. Yeah, sure, that's what I'll do.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tollymain posted:

Tucker, what's the one thing in your life you're the most proud of? An achievement? Something you own? Something about who you are right now? Is it openly known or a secret?

Oh that's easy. Thing I'm most proud of? Adair. My little man. Smart as a whip, and he's gonna be one hell of a ladykiller when he grows up. I get out to see him every weekend, even though his momma's seeing that guy that goes to the state college now. And as much as I'd love to tell everybody about him, if it turns out he's got the wolf Uncle Paul'd snatch him up to "raise him right." So I gotta be careful and I gotta be quiet, but I do what I can. Becky--that's his momma--she thinks my family's some kinda weirdo survivalist cult. She ain't half wrong.

quote:

GimpInBlack, I'm curious what your original two choices would have been. Feel free to not answer if you don't feel like it.

My favorite skins are the Ghoul and the Infernal--which, granted, may well be because the two times I've played Monsterhearts those were the skins I played. But the more I think about Tucker, the more I'm starting to like him.

Incidentally, I'm intentionally being vague on baby Adair's age, because I'm not sure how old the characters are meant to be, but I figure Tucker was about 16 when Adair was born.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Incidentally, I'm intentionally being vague on baby Adair's age, because I'm not sure how old the characters are meant to be, but I figure Tucker was about 16 when Adair was born.

I'm guessing that all the characters are supposed to at least look like they belong in high school. So they should look around 16-18. Obviously chronological ages can throw that right out the window--I'm thinking Emmet is around 7 years old or so, and he certainly has only been sentient for a few months. I'm not sure, do werewolves usually live a while in fiction?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, in Twilight some of them grew up faster when their wolf came through. That's all I can think of.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Edit: nvm

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 20, 2013

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Aaron Vesi

Family is everything. At least, that's what I've been told the vast majority of my life, family first, everyone else second. And then I'm asked to help bring the family back to it's former glory- a glory that I've never known. How do we do that? gently caress if I know, and gently caress if anyone else knows either- the amount of bullshit backstabbing, politicking and- every once in a while- murder, that goes on in this family is nuts. No wonder we've never been able to recall our glory.

But then, the outside isn't much better. Through pre-school, kindergarden, elementary and junior high, I've always been the one people have been careful around. While my family doesn't have the clout that we used to have in the past, I'm pretty sure my father owns an attorney general or two. But yeah, I've always been held out at arms length from the humans, whether it's due to suspicion or fear or- as I've been finding lately- admiration, I've always been different from them.

Moreau is really the only place that I've known- it's a small enough town that my family was able to settle into one of the old manses a few generations back. Whole bunch of legends cropped up about us too- does that happen with all old families? It seems that it crops up in every work of fiction that I've read- the weird-rear end family that lives in the massive stone house always has something wrong with them. Not that it's any less true about my family.

pre:
Name: Aaron Vesi
Skin: Serpentine
Human Form: Sleek, Hypnotic eyes
True Form: Serpent Tendril for Hair, a forked tongue
Origin: A family from old wealth

Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing 
Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be able to reconcile the human and serpent 
worlds. You can’t live with the lies and insanity any longer. You need to 
reject one side or the other to escape this madness. Run the gently caress away, hide, 
return to the bosom of your serpent family or abandon them entirely for 
the human world. You’ll threaten, hobble or destroy anyone who tries to 
keep you enmeshed in contradictory obligations. You escape your Darkest 
Self when you submit yourself to the old obligations once more, or you shed 
your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

Serpentine Moves

Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a 
shadow of their former glory. They want to regain their political clout and rule the world
from the shadows.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 
1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever 
you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Mesmerizing

When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, 
they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain 
the Condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition dazed.

1) What's an important aspect of the town of Moreau to you? This can be bad or good, subjectively or objectively.

The old cathedral is one place that I can really call mine. No one seems to go there anymore, ever since the church moved down the road- and most kids think it's too creepy. So whenever I need to just get away from both my family and the outside, that's where I go. There's something soothing about the stone arches and the statue of Saint Amabilis there just allows me to clear my head. It's my place of refuge from the world when the world gets too heavy I suppose.

2)Who is one person in your life who's important? This is an NPC. I don't need a life story, just a quick description. Friend, family, whatever.
Erika is really my only friend, my only lifeline to the world of humans. She knows my true form, and she accepts me for who I am. Course, her family's just as hosed up as mine. Every Saturday, her dad gets loaded drunk and then proceeds to beat her and her mom. They won't come forward about it either- her father is the only working member of the family. I tried to help once, but that apparently only made it worse, she called in sick that week, and wouldn't let me come close to touching her for about a fortnight after that.

3) How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)
Sometimes I wish I was born to a different family. I hear of these nice little family's with their normal little dysfunctions, then I look at mine with all it's violence, hatred and politicking and I realize how loving wierd my family is. Also, I don't know if I have a chance in hell with any girl. Aside from Erika, most girl's I've met have a serious phobia of snakes, they'd probably run off screaming in the other direction if I even hinted at what I was. Not to mention Father want's me to stay in the family. Ew, no, gently caress that.

4)4. What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? I literally can't think of anything. Oops.

I don't think this even needs to be asked anymore, but Monster Teen Drama Bullshit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Patrick, your people know about some, if not all, of the supernaturals in town. Not in-depth or anything, just that they're there. And around. You know? How does your family feel about these others? How do you personally feel about these others?

Lilly, you seem like you've become a fairly purpose-driven young woman. Do you have career plans? Do they coincide with what your mother wants? I'd ask about your father, but I don't know if he has anything to do with you at all. How do you feel about him?

Daniel, let's follow up on that thought there. You said they forgot you. Something weird going on there, or are you just a forgettable person? Either way, how does that make you feel?

Karen, you seem to be pretty well-adjusted to being dead, or undead, or whatever it is you are. Are there any serious downsides you've found yet? Anything bothering you, problems that won't go away because they're baked into whatever you are now?

Emmet, you seem pretty composed, talking about these situations now. Where you as unflappable then, or did you find yourself discovering the human emotion of embarrassment? If the latter, how do you feel about discovering the less comfortable aspects of human emotion? If the former, have you overheard any crazy rumors about you and your impossible poise?

Eli, how hungry does looking around the room at your classmates make you? How does that make you feel?

Tucker, as unhappy as you are dealing with your clan and this town, have you ever considered just... leaving? Do you have an plan for leaving this town? If you do, what keeps you from taking the first train on out of here and never coming back? What ties you to Moreau?

Kevin, I'm just going to say this, you are a nasty piece of work. Do you ever feel bad for what you do? Honesty, please. What's the worst thing you've ever done to somebody?
Your clique is not just 3 people as far as I can tell, and it wouldn't make sense for it to be 3 in my opinion. I think the 3 you detail are supposed to be the (currently) most interesting members of your clique

Aaron, I've heard some stories about your family. They've got a long and notorious history of making ridiculous amounts of money off of very, very evil things; and more importantly, getting away with it. Does the current generation of adults ignore it or glorify it? How do you feel about it?

I'm curious who's noticed the slight literary allusion present in this thread yet. It's everywhere, I'll hint that much.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Aaron, I've heard some stories about your family. They've got a long and notorious history of making ridiculous amounts of money off of very, very evil things; and more importantly, getting away with it. Does the current generation of adults ignore it or glorify it? How do you feel about it?

I would say that they silently encourage it. I mean, rule number two- after family is everything- is don't get caught. They don't outright ignore it- hell in utter privacy they might even applaud it. But if you leave enough loose threads hanging around, you can be drat sure that they'll be the first to nail you to your cross. Hell, if they can manage it, most of them will probably lead the police right to you. As long as they don't violate rule number 2. 'Cause then the family kills them. You know, Rule One and all.

As for how I feel about it... I'm torn. There's a perverse pleasure in truly loving over people and knowing you're going to get away scott free. And yet, another part of me- the part that has been nurtured by Erika- tells me it's wrong. All I can say is that it felt good when Erika's abusive (now ex-)boyfriend went missing. Course, that evaporated when I was congulated by my father over dinner that night- the leg muscles were quite good though.

You won't tell her will you?

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

drat, this thread is moving fast. I go to sleep, and there's two rounds of questions.

Tollymain posted:

Iris, somebody currently owes you. They don't know just how binding their promise was, though. Do you think they're going to follow on their word or renege? What do you do to people who break their word to you?

Oh man, meaties just throw their words around like crazy. Like, last week, some loser set a fire in the school library. Yeah, they got it under control real fast, but anyway Ms Harper, the librarian, yeah the one with the glasses; she's herding us out and she says to me, "I'll make sure you're safe". I KNOW, heavy poo poo. I mean, she likes me, cause I'm always there, but that's, like, a serious fealty oath. Even here, they wouldn't just say that, would they? Especially she must know about words, what with her job and all. So I guess if I'm in trouble, then she'd guard me. That's pretty cool.

Oathbreakers? Well I try to give them time now. Things are different here, and I do see that. Of course, words are more than words; so if they don't get a clue, then I balance it out. Duh. I am Fae, you know. Maybe they gently caress up when driving. Maybe they get a real bad headache next time they see me. This one girl, Stephanie, said she'd work on that biology project with me, and then blew me off for Claire. Like words don't matter. Yeah. In the exam, she forgot to put her ID on the top of the paper. Just one word, isn't it? Important though.

Tollymain posted:

Iris, has the Fairy King ever let slip anything about why he sent you among the humans? It wouldn't have hardly been anything; and chances are if he did hint at something he was doing it entirely on purpose. How do you feel about that?

There was that one time, when I told him about all the law and stuff. He looked real sharp at me then, and said, "Away from Fae, time moves fast. It's good that we are watchful.". That was really big for me, cause the King? He doesn't just give out praise, and its not like I'm a proper courtier or nothing. So, I thought about it a lot, and I don't really know all the history, but I have this idea. Like, humans always had laws and stuff, but its only recently that they got all this writing, and books, and internet, and everything; so they can keep track of the words. No, they don't remember them like we do. So, maybe it's changing them, making them more Fae, and of course the King would be interested in that.

Why he chose me? I don't know, you ask him. If you dare!

exuma fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 19, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Melanie, you suspect that Moreau isn't the first place you've encountered the supernatural. There was an incident, back in Taipei; you shrugged it off at the time, but after what you've seen here maybe that memory is niggling at you. Can you tell us the story?

靠。 I never told anyone about that. Not even to my father. I just about buried the whole thing in my head until I came back here. There is something about this town that dredges up all the... stranger moments in my life. I would say forgettable, but it does not seem that way anymore, does it?

Yeah, it is that one Friday night. My friends wanted to eat out after class, so we went to 信義. Hey, they just opened that new Japanese restaurant there, we wanted to try it out. My friends wanted to take the usual underpass route to get there. Could have taken the MRT, could have actually listened when people said not to take the underpass at night. We were dumb, deal with it.

It stalked us, the moment it spotted us under the highway. They called it 厉鬼. Nasty ghost. We always crossed that pass to school, we thought it was just dumb superstition. And for all I knew then, it was. But my friends? A truck buzzed over us and I got distracted for a while. When I turned to my friends again, they... vanished. Gone, out of sight. I panicked, I tried to look for them. I almost thought it was a prank, but I was about to call the police anyway.

Then I found them again, just a few minutes after they vanished. They were crying. As if they saw their end right before them. They didn't look hurt or anything, just scared out of their wits. When I tried to ask them what happened, they just shouted over and over what they saw. A pale shadow of the girl who died there years ago. Lips stained with gurgling blood, body broken and impaled with the metal pole from the accident. They said that she smiled at them and almost tried to devour them before they "came back".

When they told me that, I just simply wondered: if any of that was true, why didn't it attack me?

Then I felt a chill behind me, cold arms reached for my side. I heard lips smacking right next to my ear. I felt her breathing. When I turned around, there was no one there. No one saw anything. I did not sleep for two days, never felt safe for weeks after. Now I feel that... maybe that's what it wanted all along.

...This is for the paper, right? If you respect me at all, at least credit me anonymously. Not like I can stop you otherwise.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 19, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Karen, you seem to be pretty well-adjusted to being dead, or undead, or whatever it is you are. Are there any serious downsides you've found yet? Anything bothering you, problems that won't go away because they're baked into whatever you are now?

Okay, first just to be clear, I love this. I am loving overjoyed. As far as I can tell, I am 100% immortal, persist until the end of days sort of deal, or as close as I'd imagine anyone could get. Even, like, vampires can die from stakes and stuff, right? I've gotten a second chance, and even if I don't have overt neat-o powers it's still great.

Now, that said, the hunger is a problem. A big problem. It's actually really cool that I go to school every day, because there's, like, fear. Everywhere. The vast majority of the students are all afraid of something, and it's really easy to push buttons in little ways. I know people are suspicious of me, but only for, like, the obviously pranky pranks. They have no idea how much poo poo I just sort of nudge one way or another to make things worse, make lives a little more stressful and a little more dangerous. Make everyone a little more anxious. But... well, I don't think I'll be able to come here forever, and I'm not sure what I'll do later. College? What about after that? People really don't seem to notice a lot of things about me, and I figure I could end up like some crazy old cat lady whose house everyone's terrified of but where nobody questions how I've lived there for a while, but... eh. I dunno, I don't think that would work long term. I hope it wouldn't work long term.
And... it's like... like being a vegan. I mean no offense to vegans, and I know "proper" vegans can make it work if they're really careful, but in general if you don't know what you're doing eating nothing but veggies is a bad idea, no matter how much it fills you up. Or eating nothing but pop and snacks, or living off of tic tacs or whatever. I get hungry. Hungry for the real poo poo, hungry for people who are pretty much off the deep end.

So, the deal is that mortal terror is really the best. Always gets me. Someone who thinks they're about to die? Seriously thinks that, going into full panic? Man is it wonderful. Mmm! But that doesn't bother me much. I've gotten over it. It's fun, almost, a sort of game. No, what really bothers me?
I'm starting to give some serious thought to this: it's a lot easier to make someone think they're about to die by actually going through with it, instead of just staging it. Giving it a lot of thought. It's making more and more sense every day.

zachol fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, that was hilarious how fast that went ice-cold, berenzen.

Aaron, you're forgetting something. You say that the girls aren't into you, but that's not entirely true. There's a few who look at you hungrily in the classroom; the rebellious ones, the wannabe freaks, the ones who've already filled their faces with metal... Something in you calls to them. You look superficially clean, but they can tell there's a monster underneath. They just don't know how literal that statement is. What do you think of these girls? Have you considered dating of them?

Iris, you've got a token given to you by the Faerie King, long ago when you were seemingly exiled to the human world. Without it you cannot even so much as stand on the borders of Faerie. Why did he limit you in such a fashion? What does the token look like? You lost it once, the worst time in your life. It was only gone for a few days, but that was still devastating. Could you tell me that story?

Melanie, what about that time when you had to defend yourself against a mundane assault? How did you fare? How did you feel during, after?

I am seriously running out of questions now. If I counted right, there are 14 apps in this thread. I will close it at 16, no exceptions. It'll remain open long enough for me to ask a few more questions and then I will try and decide which minority of apps get to play. But for the next few hours, I'm going to pass out.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 19, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Melanie, what about that time when you had to defend yourself against a mundane assault? How did you fare? How did you feel during, after?

There is someone I do not miss back in Taipei: Wang Mei-lin. C-class cellist, A-class bully. A big kid who picked on all the smaller kids in middle school, though she always focused on me. I was her direct competition in music class, I always beat her when it came to performance. She lashed on me whenever she could, words and fists alike, I took it every time. I was scared of her, but not scared enough to disappoint my father. He knew of my situation, though she urged me to focus and ignore. I tried.

The school recital was the last time I met her. Everyone knew that someone from Yan Ping was invited to attend. I earned the lead role, Mei-lin was the substitute. I worked hard for what I deserved and everyone knew that. But I was too naive to realize how badly she wanted that role. Two days before the recital, I took my bike on my usual route to school. It involved an incline and a downhill ride to a particularly steep dirt path. On the downhill, my brakes failed on me.

I did not even see the sabotaged brake tube. I just acted in the moment, tried to brake with my foot, instead tried to get off the bike. Tangled myself, scraped my knees, kept rolling down the hill. loving painful. The bike crashed on a rock. I counted myself lucky.

Mei-lin must have thought she didn't do enough. She went out of her hiding place, just lost it. Tried to kick her off many times. She didn't stop. Just kept wailing on me with her fists while I was down. Someone, an officer maybe, just finally pulled her away after forever. I got bloodied, bruised, beaten. Not hospitalized. I made it to that recital, I got what I deserved from Yan Ping. Mei-lin got expelled from school for all of her trouble.

Do you see now... friend? People can hurt me. They can do it all they want. People live to hurt others, and I know why. They are all jealous deep inside. Jealous of the "losers" they put down and hurt, because they know they can never have what we have. What I have. So everyone and my mother can keep taking my glories from me. I do not care. In the end, everyone will work for what they deserve.

poo poo I noticed I had a few awful typos in my last response, I fixed it. Sorry.

I feel like Mel's responses would change a lot if she had a True Love to bounce off from. Or maybe it's just the questions themselves that really do lead to melodramatic answers. or it's all me entirely :P

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Tollymain posted:

Lilly, you seem like you've become a fairly purpose-driven young woman. Do you have career plans? Do they coincide with what your mother wants? I'd ask about your father, but I don't know if he has anything to do with you at all. How do you feel about him?

Dad is always saying that I should be a doctor or a lawyer but I think he just wants me to make a lot of money so he can live off of me. He's been living off my mother for years as it is. Don't the wrong idea now, he has a desk job, and we get along pretty well when I go to visit, but after his leg got injured while he was on regular duty in the force he's had to go in for a lot of surgery, and he was never too good at managing money in the first place.

Mom is... alright I guess. She's mostly out helping film some network tv program or another pretty much year round, but she makes wires me a lot of money so its not like I've been neglected. Whenever she comes home she always has some new boyfriend who is way too young for her. It'd be less weird if they were dating me really. None of them last too long though. The last time we had a talk about my future she just said to 'follow my dreams' and do whatever I thought would be fun, but I don't think that advice is any better then dad's if I want to get anywhere in the world.

Questionable parental advice aside, I'm planning on entering the corporate world and climbing as high as I can. I've got an internship setup at the local NBC branch office this summer, and all it took was a small charm and a word or two in the right ear from one of mom's then boyfriends.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Tollymain posted:

Chloe, what did you do to the last guy who insinuated you and Devon had something romantic going on? What kind of price did the Poisoner demand for his favor?

Keith Summers. gently caress that guy, seriously. No, that is not what I did to him! loving creeper is what he is. Dude's like 23 or some poo poo, but he spends his time going after highschool girls. He'll notice one and just get fixated for weeks. Sooner or later the bastard is going to end up on national news or something for locking someone in his basement.

And wouldn't you know it? He started coming after me a month back or so. I kept telling him to gently caress off, but the day he gets a hint will be when loving hell freezes over. He started getting it in his head that the reason I wasn't begging to gently caress him or whatever was because of Devon, and he just would not leave me alone or shut up about it. So... I had to call in a favour.

I don't know what Keither the Creeper saw when he looked at me after that, but whatever it was, he sure hasn't come near me since. I actually think he's afraid of me now, which I'm not complaining about.

In return... that was the brook, I think. Okay, maybe that one was a bit bad. "Befoul the waterway" he said -- dude's always melodramatic like that. Maybe it comes with the whole demon gig, I don't loving know. But I had to steal a load of chlorine from the local pool and dump it in. Killed some fish. I kind of feel bad about it, but Kieth hosed off, right? And it's not like we're not polluting poo poo every day anyway. Hey, leave me alone, I did what I had to!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This looks like too much fun not to try, even if I'm late to the party.

quote:

Name: Remiel, currently known as "Hope Collins"
Skin: Angel
Look: Tentative, Bright Eyes
Origin: Banished From Heaven

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: 1
Forgiveness: 0 _ _ _ X _ _ _ 0 :Tresspass

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and indepedence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Angel Moves

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead.

Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass.

If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Profane Powers
When you are at 3 Trespass, you are able to perform miracles: purifying poisoned water, ecstatic flight, returning to life, bi-location, and so on. At the end of any scene in which you performed miracles, reset the Trespass/Forgiveness scale to zero, and gain the Condition drained.

Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Humans think they have some kind of monopoly on free will. Now, sure, there are tons of preprogrammed life-forms. A bacteria acts according to its coding, it can't think. A flower will turn to the light, no higher functions needed. But to lump angels in with E.Coli is kind of unfair. How did Lucifer rebel if he didn't have the ability to choose? I've never figured out how that was supposed to work. The truth of it is that we've got just as much free will as you guys, but we've also got a job to do.

See, God's a busy cosmic entity, he has things to do. So when he's off creating and destroying and rewriting spacetime somewhere else in the universe, the Earth angels, like me, keep the engine running for him. We're the maintenance crew, you might say. Humans are... well one thing they got right about themselves is they are kind of special. They're a little biological program He devised to constantly stress test the systems. Earth is a proving grounds for stuff He uses all over the place.

Now, since angels have free will, sometimes we mess up. We don't follow orders just so, or we fail to fix something that broke down on the ground quick enough. We're not automatons, and we aren't perfect. It doesn't take long for the Archangels to send down some approved judgement or penance, and we go do that and it's all good. God doesn't usually get involved unless it's something big like, you know, starting a war in Heaven. Getting thrown into Hell is pretty much a last resort for the unsalvageables.

Being sent to Earth to live among the humans however, is pretty common. Which is why I'm stuck in the body of a teenage girl taking remedial math and trying to keep my single father from drinking himself into an early grave since he's been out of work and we can't afford to pay the rent anymore.

I screwed up, bigtime. Big enough for the Arch's to make sure this penance was going to last a while and I'm not going home anytime soon. See, humans are designed to learn and evolve very quickly, but that makes them glitchy. All kinds of anomalies crop up, especially when magic gets involved (I never did think that experiment was going to end well but I'm just a grunt when it comes down to those decisions.) A big part of my job is... debugging. With a sword. But it isn't always easy. Most of the 'monsters' didn't do anything wrong before they were infected, or were even born that way, and some can live with their glitch without becoming a threat to the system as a whole. But my Orders don't have a clause for benign infections.

I showed mercy when I shouldn't have, and let one go. A day later, twenty humans died because of it. So now I'm here, in this city, chasing after a yellow bus that's not slowing down and realizing I have three miles to walk if I want to make it to school on time. It's a cesspool, according to the Archs, but it's also off limits on Orders from Him. They wanted to know why, and I was already on the penance list for being sympathetic to glitches. So I woke up in a hospital bed, a dead girl's doppleganger who made a miraculous recovery after a horrific car crash. Had to keep the wounds too, to make it look real. And the pain that went with them. Oh and they didn't bother to tell me how long I'd have to play the part, though I heard whispers of four years.

Did I mention the Archs are dicks?

----

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you?

There's a little gospel church down the street from my house. It reminds me of heaven a lot more than anyplace else, because it's so loud! Heaven is a party that never ends, dancing and praising and singing and joyful noises. Most of the other churches around here are so subdued, they don't get the mood right at all. And there's always something funny on the billboard. God has a great sense of humor you know. Have you ever seen a platypus? But... I wish there were more people who really believed down here. It seems like heaven is falling out of fashion with the younger crowd, except those wacky con men Evangelists who I'm pretty sure work for Lucifer on the sly. Kinda gets me sad sometimes.

2) Who is one person in your life who's important?

Hope's dad Randall is a pet project of mine. He's just so unhappy. I'm going to clean him up and put him back together. Since he wouldn't have Hope's crushing medical bills if I hadn't shown up it's kind of the least I can do. He's a really nice guy, he didn't deserve this poo poo.

3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature?

The hours are infinitely long, but the perks of being above it all are pretty great and there's no better place to live than... Oh, you mean now. Ugh. Well I still have some power, even if it's a giant pain in the wings to access it and I'm perfectly comfortable with what I am. I like humans a lot, so shouldering their limitations for a while lends some perspective. If there's anything I'm not used to it's... well... I've visited Earth a bunch of times on assignment, and that means borrowing a human body, but missions are too short to get comfortable in it. The last time I was punished I was confined in the body of a sixty year old man. Angels don't really have gender, we're made not born. So being trapped as a teenage girl is... a new experience to say the least.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 19, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tollymain posted:

Patrick, your people know about some, if not all, of the supernaturals in town. Not in-depth or anything, just that they're there. And around. You know? How does your family feel about these others? How do you personally feel about these others?

They owe us, don't they? Father thinks they do. For keeping this place somewhere that people don't ask too many questions. He cares more than I do. Sometimes, I think he thinks they should all listen to him because of it. Which, I mean, I don't really disagree? But yeah, the family wants this place to work out for...people like us. Sort of. Because then they owe us. And we can make them part of the pack.

Me, well, I'm not so sure. Most of them might not even realize who we are. What we've done. And if we tell them, they might say we lied. Or not accept what we do for them. I mean, it's a lot of work, and...I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Just...I don't trust it, you know? They're not like us. They don't know loyalty like we do.

Mostly, I keep an eye out for my people. If the monsters can manage to keep themselves to themselves, I'm okay with them, I guess? But I'm not sure they can. And if they can't...well, they'll have to be taught that some people are off-limits.

E: Also, is it an island of a mad doctor?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 19, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Iris, you've got a token given to you by the Faerie King, long ago when you were seemingly exiled to the human world. Without it you cannot even so much as stand on the borders of Faerie. Why did he limit you in such a fashion? What does the token look like? You lost it once, the worst time in your life. It was only gone for a few days, but that was still devastating. Could you tell me that story?

A ring from the King! I was so excited when he gave it to me, and so scared when he told me what it did. I mean, why do I need a bit of metal, OK, OK, twisted fairie light that looks like metal, just to get home? That's exile, pretty much; and exile is the worst thing. Everyone knows that. No wonder I got so mad. I didn't even do anything!

So, I thought it was punishment at first, but that's not right. If the King wanted to punish me, then he'd just do it. So I thought maybe it was so to hide my connection to Faerie, so humans wouldn't spot anything. But that's wrong too, 'cause most people don't have a clue, and them that do are gonna spot me anyway. Then Janet said something this one time. She said, 'Maybe it's so that you have the choice'. She clammed right up afterwards, but she might be on to something. Like, I could just throw it away, and be a meatie forever. I don't get why anyone would do that though. I mean, urgh.

When I lost it? Oh man. I wore it a lot, but not all the time, and I got in from school this one day, and it was gone. Well, you know how Fairie light is invisible to humans sometimes? I thought I'd been hanging around them so much, that it had turned invisible to me. I kept on looking at the jewellery box and squinting, but nothing. Thought I was stuck for real. I told my human dad, Karl, it was lost, but he was just like 'It can't have gone far'. Yeah, he's alright but he doesn't really get things, you know, like emotions? Not properly. Anyway, my mum, Kate, was out of town for three days, visiting her own mum. Turns out that was the key to the whole thing. She took it to stop her from missing me! Well, we had a crazy big argument when she got back. She said sorry, but I couldn't really tell her why it was so important. Things were a bit rough for a while after that, but we sorted it out in the end. I don't leave the ring behind now though. No way.

exuma fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 19, 2013

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Aaron, you're forgetting something. You say that the girls aren't into you, but that's not entirely true. There's a few who look at you hungrily in the classroom; the rebellious ones, the wannabe freaks, the ones who've already filled their faces with metal... Something in you calls to them. You look superficially clean, but they can tell there's a monster underneath. They just don't know how literal that statement is. What do you think of these girls? Have you considered dating of them?

I didn't say girl's aren't into me- hell, I'm passably attractive and I come from a family with a good chunk of money. That's more than enough to attract the wrong kind of girls for me- the superficial freaks, the ones who don't want to look any closer than the outside.

And the girls you are talking about are as lost in fantasy as the ones who dream of their white picket fence and two and a half children. While they can seem to sense the monster in me, yet they don't know exactly what it is, that's dangerous for them. They want to be different, but not me different. Most of the are just as bad or worse than the girls who are looking for the money.

There are a few out there though that I've considered. Ones that I think might accept me for who I am. I suppose I'm just cautious, if my secret gets out because I revealed it to the wrong person, the family would fully quarantine the situation. And I'd rather keep the skin on my bones thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Daniel, let's follow up on that thought there. You said they forgot you. Something weird going on there, or are you just a forgettable person? Either way, how does that make you feel?

I'm curious who's noticed the slight literary allusion present in this thread yet. It's everywhere, I'll hint that much.

I want to say something's weird about this but I can't really. I'm just that bad at keeping a conversation going. Its hard keeping everyone's attention without being, you know, loud or annoying or something. Being a ghost hasn't helped much on that front but yeah, I've always felt awkward. Gotten used to it, though "Oh, its the new kid" is getting real annoying. I'm not new anymore, just because you remembered I sit behind you. I say something every day, but I guess participating in class isn't enough?

I think about showing up through a wall sometimes. I do it all the time, but not when anybody's watching. Yet.
Island of Doctor Moreau?

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 19, 2013

• Locked thread