Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, be sure to give possible titles for the next TvTropes thread, TvTropes, The Sixth Sense.

edit:

Scorched Spitz posted:

It's been brought up in the past threads, but what I can gather is that these people see writing as a completely solitary means of expression that doesn't require the budget for whatever nerdwankery they're into or the talent to do anything else. They suck at art and learning how to draw anything that isn't faux-anime bullshit takes time, so they can't do a comic despite that being half of what they know. Programming takes a shitton of effort to make the most rudimentary Asteroids clone, so making a game's completely out of the question even though that's the other half. So they write, encouraged by the A's their English teachers gave their lovely fiction for being grammatically correct.

That said, it's 80% literal.
Please don't do this. I've updated the OP, and I would like it if people would not do this because this has been done to death in the last four threads. Unless you actually are a licensed clinician, don't psychoanalyze.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, be sure to give possible titles for the next TvTropes thread, TvTropes, The Sixth Sense.

I See Bad Writers

quote:

"Anyone know if there's any way to treat a burned stomach lining?"

quote:

"What's the password?"
"Open this loving door!"
"...Alright, you're good. Sorry about that."

quote:

"The government at least managed to keep the riverboats running. If the right business folk bribed the right government folk, sometimes they'd even run on time."

quote:

"I looked back at Leon, but he was looking away. He wasn’t looking at another girl, but it was still enough to trigger my inner Polynesian tribal fire god of tiki rage. I NEEDED TO BE APPEASED."
-Narration from my (rather ignorant) yandere protagonist
"I imagined toked up teen addicts faced similar situations when they accidentally invited their dealer over to a party. Except in this case, the dealer was acting way nicer to the person he wasn’t selling to and also had teleportation powers and a magical pool cue and I was the one who tried to give him drugs because I loved him."
-Narration from the same protagonist after finding out who her crush really is and then being brought home to her mother by him

quote:

Ithaqua explaining to Loki why he prefer eating people in his natural form.
"The Wind Walker kept his eyes on The Trickster God while he nibbled the skin off of the human finger he was eating, tearing a piece of marinated flesh off and swallowing as he continued, "I prefer my natural from, because it's so much easier to eat people like that. There's no issue with having to keep up with pointless table manners or having to use utensils. I don't even have to chew, I can just swallow them alive. There's no risk of choking on a femur, much less being wary of choking on a knuckle bone."

From, you guessed it, Favorite lines from your own writing

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I love how most of these are actually good bands/artists. I guess music with any emotional depth is horrifying.

I'm kinda surprised they mentioned Current 93 and Coil. I didn't expect Tropers to know about them.

Of course, they never mention the scariest thing either of them ever did.

They do also have extensive Nightmare Fuel pages for Juggalo bands like ICP and Axe Murda Boys.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm kinda surprised they mentioned Current 93 and Coil. I didn't expect Tropers to know about them.

Of course, they never mention the scariest thing either of them ever did.

They do also have extensive Nightmare Fuel pages for Juggalo bands like ICP and Axe Murda Boys.

They have a really long Nightmare Fuel page for Vocaloid. How can you be afraid of a little anime girl :psyduck:

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Namtab posted:

So yeah, let's put some effort into mocking these loving dorks.

Ok. I have a question. I know I've asked this before, in a different thread, but it wasn't answered enough to my liking. Here goes:

I'm worried about talking about TvTropes. Mainly, I'm nervous that whichever TvTrope thing I'm talking about won't be interesting, and that I would be an unfunny shitbag for talking about it. So, how do I know if it is ok to talk about TvTropes? How do I not be the aforementioned shitbag?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In terms of actual content, one goldmine that never runs dry is the Romance Thread, 2722 (to date) pages of nerds wondering why they can never get laid and treating the art of dating like a TRPG, complete with stats and way overthought motives.

Midnight Rambler posted:

I've been giving Carol a lot of rides around campus, because her bike exploded a few days ago.
I find it hard to gauge if she's romantically interested or just looking for friendship. Proceeding with caution.

And what with this being TVTropes...

cutewithoutthe posted:

do you guys think parents would ever accept their 15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old collegiate boy

INHOPELESSONE posted:

Yes. Hibiscus is fifteen. And I am eighteen years and two months tomorrow. There is only two and a half years between us.

Kinkajou posted:

shame on you, taking advantage of a minor ;)

INHOPELESSONE posted:

Harharhar. She asked me out, lest you forget. :P

Guess we've got two seperate instances of Tropers loving 15 year old girls. Never Change, TVTropes Please change, TVTropes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

solovyov posted:

Ok. I have a question. I know I've asked this before, in a different thread, but it wasn't answered enough to my liking. Here goes:

I'm worried about talking about TvTropes. Mainly, I'm nervous that whichever TvTrope thing I'm talking about won't be interesting, and that I would be an unfunny shitbag for talking about it. So, how do I know if it is ok to talk about TvTropes? How do I not be the aforementioned shitbag?

Is what you post something you found personally funny or amusing, in a "hahahaha what the gently caress" kind of way?

Basically: don't just post milquetoast poo poo for the sake of posting. If it actually made you :stare: or laugh, then post.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Did I mention that Writers Block is Bad? It exemplifies almost everything wrong with the site.

[quote="Your Weaknesses In Writing Things"
]All of us struggle with things regarding creation of a story, whether it is about putting soul into characters, knowing when to show or tell, actually recognizing the difference of the two, let alone telling them apart, coming up with branches for the plot, not knowing enough fancy English words and more.
I'm interested to hear what you people wrestle with in your writing.
Personally, the whole show/tell thing and lack of cool looking sentences is tediously hard to me.
First one because I cannot tell them apart.
Second because fancy words are numerous and hard to find.[/quote]
"I want to write like an overwrought Shakespeare parody but I'm bad at finding words!" :cry:

quote:

Getting into my characters' heads and figuring out what they would do in any given situation.
Basic writing is hard.

quote:

Getting out of the pre-production phase and actually start writing the damned thing.
Really, really hard.

quote:

Aye-yai-yai. Where do I begin?
1. Deep, deep depression.
2. Procrastination.
3. Mental masturbation to fantasies of universal acceptance.
4. Concerns about storytelling ability.
At least they're honest, I guess?

quote:

1. 'Borrowing' (intentionally or unintentionally) elements from history/other works.
2. Procrastination. I find it near impossible to get started.
3. Laziness in justifying disclosure of information. I have kings giving highly classified pieces of information to peasants they've just met, because I'm too lazy to have trust build up.
4. Trying to write things visually. I watch a movie or something and think 'I want something like this' (see point 1.), but it doesn't work on paper.
"Borrowing" from movies.

quote:

Plots. I can come up with settings, people, religions, magic systems, geology, technology and the like forever, but then I can't figure out how to make them do anything. As a result, I keep winding up with pinball protagonists who aren't particularly engaging and aren't trying to accomplish anything worth doing.
"I'm a worldbuilder/idea guy"

Ugh.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Namtab posted:

In terms of actual content, one goldmine that never runs dry is the Romance Thread, 2722 (to date) pages of nerds wondering why they can never get laid and treating the art of dating like a TRPG, complete with stats and way overthought motives.

And what with this being TVTropes...

Guess we've got two seperate instances of Tropers loving 15 year old girls. Never Change, TVTropes Please change, TVTropes.

Oh, Tropers. This is from the past, but here's some Troper ranting about himself essentially stalking one of his classmates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTloIPzkkA

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Moral Dilemma - Crime and Punishment

quote:

Here is a dilemma I placed before my creative writing class from the prequel series to New Dawn. I want to hear some answers about this, namely, because it is a very intriguing dilemma.

It is set in a medieval fantasy world, and is essentially in most cases a case of Deliberate Values Dissonance. There is one powerful state, called The People's Republic of Shard, that seems to have a slightly more modern view point in some matters, but a much more regressive view point in others.

The new hero, Aevon, son of the previous hero, Vonh, has basically just been handed a large Kingdom and told to show the world he is strong. However, during Olympic style games hosted by Shard, it comes out that one of the hero's True Companions, Warren, had been "forceful" with his wife in consummating their marriage.

This was thirty years ago, when he was eighteen, and he cannot forgive himself for it. He cannot so much as look at his son without feeling the urge to vomit.
This comes out due to Gabren Daindred, Ruler of Shard, having a spymaster with some supernatural powers.

So, in Shard, all crimes must be punished. Regardless when they were committed, regardless of who committed them, and without regard for if they were punished in another country. Gabren decides to go ahead and arrest Warren.

Aevon needs Warren for his quest, due to a particular prophecy, and he puts a lot more stock in those than his father ever did.

The thing is, Gabren makes the argument that other societies are barbarians for "silencing women's voices of protest", when his nation allows people to hold slaves. He even remarks that "our slaves are mostly enemies of the state; enemy nations defeated by the Shardan Military can either pay reparations or pay the Blood Price; one slave for each of our lives lost."

The thing is, Aevon's Kingdom led the charge in abolishing slavery everywhere...except in Shard, which kept their slaves due to their massive military and influence. Gabren has 100% Approval in Shard for resisting this change, among many other things.

So the dilemma is; what does Aevon do? Gabren, being the Host Nation's Overlord, sets this ultimatum; give us Warren for a People's Trial or pay the Blood Price, one slave for each year he remained at large.

Aevon has a number of choices, and he has to appear strong in front of the intimidating, powerful nation of Shard. He has to keep Warren with him, as he thinks, or he cannot win against The Gedroi Nine.

So my question to all of you is this; What is the morally acceptable thing for Aevon to do in this situation? What should he do? What is it wise for him to do?

Why does everything Tropers write contain so much rape and slavery?

Fom the Romance thread.

Leradny posted:

No, although it would have made the story even cooler.
Do not read if you do not believe rules should be broken for any reason. If you do, know this was a one-off instance, I believe I was justified, and—most importantly—no one got hurt by me breaking this rule.

quote:

Background information: I went to a marathon of the latest three Batman movies, dressed as Catwoman.
Normally I'm fine following the rule of not bringing outside food into theatres because I'd have lunch or dinner at a restaurant outside anyway. But, by the time the third came along, I and my two companions were hungry.
But the theatre still wouldn't allow people to bring food in. And the intermission was 30 minutes, which wasn't nearly long enough for people to go out and have dinner at one of the restaurants, then come back. And if I waited till the movie ended, all the good restaurants would be closed and I'd have to go home sleep-deprived and hungry or full of bar food.
In my opinion, that was silly. I had no intentions of going hungry and without sleep for a movie, so I ordered takeout for all three of us and insisted that I carry the bag. My reasoning was that people wouldn't suspect me, as I was in costume and a woman. For the same reason, one of my companions thought I would get caught. But I was hungry and in heels so I draped a jacket over the large bag of food and told everyone to go ahead of me in case they were scared they'd get thrown out with me.
I strutted back into the theatre, waving to all the tellers and ushers. The owner came up and said "Hello Miss Kyle", then went back to work. I also got a free pass to my next movie for being in costume.

Wow, what a badass, let's see what the tropers have to say

Demetrios posted:

Best. Sneak-in. Ever. (Thumbs Up)

TParadox posted:

I want to sneak food into a theater sometime, because the food there is so expensive. Problem is, I don't think I could get away with carrying a bag in myself, and I rarely go to the movies at all. I think the number of times I've gone alone edges out going with friends on the grounds that I went to a lot of film festival screenings last year around my festival volunteer shifts.
Those volunteer shifts also got me unlimited free popcorn and drinks. (Well, the tiny bags and cups they give their own workers on breaks, one at a time, no questions asked.)
Anyway, pretty much the only way I think I could get away with bringing outside food in is to hide it in a female friend's purse. Which is the least likely way I'm going to go to a movie. (Hey, brought it back around to the topic!)

Jesus christ it's not as if the places are strip searching you.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
So many lovely fantasy names, goddamn.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had no idea this website was so hosed up. I always thought it was just a wiki you should avoid unless you want to bee nipple-deep in tabs for a million different things. Yeesh.

eyebones
Nov 16, 2012
It isn't. You notice how weak this poo poo is, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hating stuff just brings people together.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Edit: Never mind.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 13, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Eight different TVTropes play by post forum games have their own Nightmare Fuel pages. So does XKCD; apparently the "click and drag" strip being really big is terrifying.

Troper Tales were moved offsite to a mirror wiki; are they still fair game?

Troper Tales: Brother Sister Incest posted:

This troper had a thing for his sister for a while, and even tried approaching her about it, but was (gently and without further consequence, amazingly enough!) turned down. He turned to his writings as an outlet, making a sister character for his blatant author-insertion character and pairing them off. It didn't make him feel any better, but he just happened to eventually grow up and get over it with time anyway. (He would still be totally up for that, but the fact that it's not going to happen happen doesn't haunt him, at least.) Those two characters have come quite a long way since then, becoming rather well-developed now despite their less-than-noble origins. Their stories are surprisingly popular—who knew Brother Sister Incest was such a popular theme in the Furry Fandom?—so it ultimately worked out. As a bizarre epilogue, his mother just read those stories (!!!) but seems to have somehow missed the subtext.

Troper Tales: Brother Sister Incest posted:

This 19 year-old troper and his 15 year-old sister are well... kinda more than siblings.
* This troper is intrigued and wishes to subscribe to your newsletter.
* Um...WHAT!?
* Note: Whether it's the topic of this page or the age difference that's most likely to prompt the above reaction is hotly debated.
* This is the Internet, you can't expect our priorities to be entirely socially "acceptable", especially with this cushy anonymity.
* Wait, did you knock her up? And do you post on Yahoo Answers? I think I may have trolled you...
* Who uses Yahoo Answers? It's like a very slow message-board. It doesn't even work as a community because with Yahoo Answers somebody not only needs to know the answer but also be nice enough to give it to you (and find your question), while a messageboard will try to help anybody just because it's something to chat about. Ah well, this is off topic.
** I can think of other reasons to not use Yahoo Answers...

e: more :downs:art

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 13, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

quote:

who knew Brother Sister Incest was such a popular theme in the Furry Fandom?

eyebones
Nov 16, 2012
^^That four years old, or only three?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I apologize if anything I post is a repost, this is my first TvTropes thread and I only know of the site from Troper Tales cross-posted to the STDH thread. Also, the word "woobie" makes me irrationally angry.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Oh man, the TVTropes thread is back! I remember making some dumb "the telos of eros is you, baby" image for it, but it got lost when my old computer died.

The Nightmare Fuel page for Music remains the funniest thing I've ever seen on there. There's an extensive page about The Decemberists, for gently caress's sake. The Decemberists.
Nightmare Fuel: The Beach Boys
Nothing scarier than the Beach Boys.

And this (riff at 32s if it doesn't start there for you) makes someone *shudder*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IHtu9O1xo&t=32s

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Eight different TVTropes play by post forum games have their own Nightmare Fuel pages. So does XKCD; apparently the "click and drag" strip being really big is terrifying.

Troper Tales were moved offsite to a mirror wiki; are they still fair game?

As long as it hasn't been covered in a previous thread. Remember, those troper tales have been read over as many times as the Bible at this point. Besides, new poo poo is always the best.

A goon project I would recommend would be to finish the reading of Major Tom's fantasy epic

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 13, 2013

Tactical Hobo
Jul 31, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Another Tvtropes thread? drat this takes me back.

I can still remember that one particular troper tale that still manages to haunt me in my dreams.
I think it was from the Lolicon troper tales page (yep) and in it a 25 year old troper basically bragged how a 12 year old
girl rubbed against his crotch at a birthday party or something, and how it made him totally horny.

I guess you could find that one using the wayback machine but I'm not sure I want to go down that road again.

At first I thought tropers were just complete social weirdos, but that one tale completely changed my views forever. :stare:

Nothing will ever top that one.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Unsurprisingly, they don't seem to have stuck to being "family-friendly." The old pages that got deleted are still gone, but I searched for some really awful fanservice anime from the last two years and they all had pages up.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Nightmare Fuel page for Music remains the funniest thing I've ever seen on there. There's an extensive page about The Decemberists, for gently caress's sake. The Decemberists.

Hey man, the Decemberists' Bachelor and the Bride is about a man raping his fiance, that's a valid thing to be creeped out by and... oh my God, they find Hazards of Love terrifying. There's a man who is also a fawn and they are very spooked by it.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the funniest thing about all that was that in the midst of debating how they were going to decide a fair and unbiased way to figure out what standards they were going to hold fanservice animes to, Lolita got the ax without any discussion.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

Hey man, the Decemberists' Bachelor and the Bride is about a man raping his fiance, that's a valid thing to be creeped out by and... oh my God, they find Hazards of Love terrifying. There's a man who is also a fawn and they are very spooked by it.

They have a whole page for the Protomen, of all goddamned things. A bunch of internet nerds singing about Mega Man is making tropers poo poo themselves.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tobias Drake posted:

Seriously, there are plenty of things worse than dying. People overvalue the state of being alive.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

A goon project I would recommend would be to finish the reading of Major Tom's fantasy epic

As far as I know, Endless Conflict was never finished. It's probably for the best.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Handle posted:

It just occurred to me that problems like these would make for awesome homework at school:
''Dear Jane,
Sorry, but I won't be able to have dinner with you after all. Don't take it the wrong way - it's not you, it's me. I've just received an urgent assignment, and I have to take off straight away. I don't know when I'll be back. It's probably just as well - after seeing so much of each other over the last couple of months, maybe we need a break. You should take this time to see other people, and pick up more conventional tips, while I could use some space so I can figure out where to go from here.
John
John meant what he said literally, but Jane was upset; what did John do wrong?
"Here is a transcript of a couple breaking up; what common mistakes, which we have covered in class, are they making?"
"Here is the sexual history of Alice: we know that there is x_ij chance of each lover i of having the sexually transmissible disease j, and we know the degree of safety of every type of protections k, in relation to every type of disease j. We also know that Alice has slept n_i times with each lover i.
Use Bayes' theorem to predict the chances that Alice has any one of those diseases, at any point during her sexual history.
Once these probabilities are known, calculate the expected accuracy of the following tests for the disease, knowing their proportion of false positives and false negatives.
For each lover, calculate, assuming that they did not have any of the diseases beforehand, whether Alice has passed them on to them."
After fifty such exercises, the kids should become utter wizzes at this poo poo.
Also, look at this song I only just found!

EDIT: By the way, the interpretations that were made of that letter left me appalled:
I meant, most of the latter part of that "letter" is telling Jane between the lines that she needs to get more experienced and just all around better at the whole love game. 'Cuz she sucks at it — ergo, she should just forget the whole bit at the beginning about John sharing any of the blame (mainly about the skipped dinner, by the look of it), because it's her fault, really, that the whole relationship has gone south. tongue
And, hey — sorry for the short notice that I never mentioned this before: but, hey... what can I do? You just suck. Sorry I bothered, toots. <_<
"Pick up more conventional tips . . ." sounds like she was too wild and out there for John, and instead of him admitting he's not wild enough for her, he's telling her she needs to tone it down. Don't know if that's what the Stealth Insult comment was aimed at, but it's one I picked up on.

BEEP BOOP WHAT IS EMOTION? X1Y1=GIFLFRIEND

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 13, 2013

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
Oh boy.

This could be a funny thread if goons don't end up trying to be morally superior to Tropers about every single thing. Criticizing lovely writing and views on society are one thing, but getting legitimately pissed about a guy dressing like a doofus is kind of embarrassing.

Also, is there a rule against explaining problems with the site itself? There are a few fun things that I'd like to point out (That I even contacted Fast Eddie about just to be fair) that could give us more content to post. It's all really funny.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Sawboss Jones posted:

Oh boy.

This could be a funny thread if goons don't end up trying to be morally superior to Tropers about every single thing. Criticizing lovely writing and views on society are one thing, but getting legitimately pissed about a guy dressing like a doofus is kind of embarrassing.

Also, is there a rule against explaining problems with the site itself? There are a few fun things that I'd like to point out (That I even contacted Fast Eddie about just to be fair) that could give us more content to post. It's all really funny.

I'm fairly sure there isn't so, :justpost:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sawboss Jones posted:

I'd personally love to hear tales of the page being held together with masking tape and hope. Sprawling web projects with one coder, and usually not a very good coder at that, are always such delightful trainwrecks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sawboss Jones posted:

Oh boy.

I meant for it to be a thing where you shouldn't go moralizing about the site without content. You made your own content, so :justpost:.

Bonus football tropers:

Eagle Fan posted:

As for fans of the Jets, take heart. You only lost by 3 pts to the 2nd best team in the AFC, whose QB and coach are apparently having a lot of difficulty beating rookie Q Bs in their own division, you're already 1-1, there's really no place for you to go but up, and plus you get a long week ahead. Get rid of those stupid INT's and you might actually make something of yourselves this year.
Did he even watch that game? The Jets are garbage

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 13, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

quote:

"Here is the sexual history of Alice: we know that there is x_ij chance of each lover i of having the sexually transmissible disease j, and we know the degree of safety of every type of protections k, in relation to every type of disease j. We also know that Alice has slept n_i times with each lover i.
Use Bayes' theorem to predict the chances that Alice has any one of those diseases, at any point during her sexual history.
Once these probabilities are known, calculate the expected accuracy of the following tests for the disease, knowing their proportion of false positives and false negatives.
For each lover, calculate, assuming that they did not have any of the diseases beforehand, whether Alice has passed them on to them."
Note that the men are clean but Alice is a disease-ridden hobag. Not that we hate women or anything.

Punch Rockgroin
Jun 14, 2011

by Ralp
Oh goodie, I missed the old thread. Let's see how many clicks it takes until I find something funny. 1....2...Oh hey, what's this?

quote:

Brother-Sister Incest
Nothing adds that certain je ne sais quoi to a storyline like a romantic or sexual attraction between siblings. Most of the time it may be merely implied, but sometimes it's laid out right in the open for the viewer to see. Its presence in a story usually adds a great deal of emotional intens

Nevermind, gently caress this I'm out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I meant for it to be a thing where you shouldn't go moralizing about the site without content. You made your own content, so :justpost:.

Bonus football tropers:

Did he even watch that game? The Jets are garbage

If we're getting to nitpicking people's opinions about sports, the well is probably running dry.

I looked around the forums a while for something worth posting here, but I didn't find much. Starship Maxima is passive-aggressively insinuating bigoted things in OTC and getting called out on it. There's a lot of white-noise posting that makes some threads virtually unreadable, but that's not very interesting to laugh at, just annoying.

Edit: Actually, I found a page on the wiki itself that should be generate some :catstare: reactions. I'll post it soon.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 14, 2013

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

losers posted:

:justpost:

Alright then, punks, here goes.

As veterans of the TvTropes threads know, Fast Eddie isn't the "Master Hackinator" he claims he is. Not only is he completely unprofessional in his overall handling of criticism, but he also makes terribly obvious missteps when it comes to keeping the site efficient, tidy/user-friendly and above all, safe for members. This post is about his neglect with regards to the latter.

I won't go into details for fear of touching the poop, but I'll go ahead and say that this security hole is one of the most grievous mistakes he's made on the whole site. It's a combination of exploits (as in, only taking advantage of holes Eddie himself left open, not making new ones) that result in a setup that can range from harmless stuff to potentially damaging.

An example of the harmless is the fact that you can abuse a certain tool Eddie and the rest use to check for sockpuppets, the link to which is posted somewhere in the forums. This leads to things like finding out that users commonly create sockpuppets to back themselves up in arguments they get into on the forums and dumb stuff like that.

Occasionally, it leads to really funny stuff like this:

For those that are unfamiliar with Janitor, that's one of the former admins of TvTropes, long suspected of being Fast Eddie himself pretending to be an attractive Asian woman to seem cooler or something, I don't know. As the screenshot shows, the admin known as Janitor only logged into the site from the IP Eddie uses. They're the same person, yo.

Same thing for the other admin who Eddie claims died, "Gus". It turns out that Gus is actually Fast Eddie's first name. All three admins on the site, who posted with eachother on the forums were all the same person: That one old Captain Ahab looking fellow.

An example of that "potentially damaging" stuff I mentioned?

Make no mistake, I just took this screenshot a few minutes ago.

From here, I can ban new users, (Not that I would) access parts of the site that I shouldn't be able to, and look at watched threads and things like that. Apparently there's a mod-only forum, but I haven't looked because I don't really see the point in trying.

Just so we're all clear though, I contacted Eddie about this several times out of fairness, but each time I was met with either hostility, indifference or silence, so I figure it's fair game to post about. Also, I'm not able to see pms or things like that, so I'm not going around violating people's privacy.

I could also elaborate on what to do exactly, but I don't know if that would cross the line into touching the poop or starting a goonswarm.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Sawboss Jones posted:

I could also elaborate on what to do exactly, but I don't know if that would cross the line into touching the poop or starting a goonswarm.
Yeah, no. That's exactly why the first TPC thread got closed.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Sawboss Jones posted:

Don't do it.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
This was posted in one of the old threads, but it bears repeating:

Puppy Dog Grinder 6870 posted:

So, at the end of Issue One of my current story, the main character has been injured by various fights with Mooks and also a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere. He then gets into a fight with the Big Bad (of issue one). My problem is that the main character doesn't have enough health potions to recover enough health to win this last fight. Furthermore, it's absolutely vital for the plot of future Issues that he win this fight, because he gets his Yandere girlfriend as a Random Drop at the end of the fight, completing the Battle Couple. So how should I fix the discrepancy?

The solutions I've thought of so far are:

*Increase the main character's number of starting health potions (but I don't think his family could really afford more, he is impoverished, after all)
*Have him find a Deus Ex Machina Infinity Plus One Sword by random luck (but it'd have to be a one-time-use item or else it'd mess up the battles in future issues!)
*Maybe the main character can keep grinding on random Mooks longer and get more health potions first?

Any help is absolutely appreciated; this story is really close to my heart. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You should totally check out the mod-forum.

• Locked thread