Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
The Angry Rooster bottle also looks exactly like a bottle of Tabasco. This one object could be a triple reference! Maybe even quadruple if you count "awesomesauce" as a reference to internet vernacular. Well done, Guacamelee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

dscruffy1 posted:

Could be, but I think it's a reference to sriracha.

At least one of the advertisements for "Angry Rooster" (visible at around 30m56s in the video) uses a bottle that looks suspiciously like a different well known brand of chili sauce.

I have no doubt that this conflation was purposeful and intentional.

Fiendly posted:

The Angry Rooster bottle also looks exactly like a bottle of Tabasco. This one object could be a triple reference! Maybe even quadruple if you count "awesomesauce" as a reference to internet vernacular. Well done, Guacamelee!

And loving beaten to the punch as I click 'Preview Reply'.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Bonus 1 + cultural note: Día de los muertos

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Thanks for the video, I live in the west side of Chicago where's a big heavy latin american population and the Day of the Dead is big thing with a lot of art work, shops, restaurants, community centers and churches having a altar and celebrations for it.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.
I'm not so sold on having the side quests and cultural notes being the same video. They seem like they're entirely separate content. I really liked the culture part and there's a bit of side content later that needs to be cut from the main LP, but they're two different things.

Also, this particular side quest I don't think would have been out of place in the main LP. It only took two minutes in what was already a 30 minute video, and was also the first heart piece you got. It would have also given people who don't watch the bonus content the general idea of how the side quests work in this game.

Still though, liked the video. Liked the subtle music in the background so that it didn't feel so much like a slideshow.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Worth mentioning that this isn't the first video game heavily themed around and based during Dia de los Muertos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1NBHL9Fa4

The main character's name is Manny Calavera ("skull" in Spanish) and the story happens during four different Dia de los Muertos holidays, and implied that Manny is taking what is typical for souls, that being four years, to reach final rest, which as you mention is Aztec belief. There are even "angelitos" in the game -- skeleton children who can fly with their wings.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Hey I was going to PM you but you have no PMs. If you want another guy for any of the culture videos, I'd be glad to hop on for the one covering Magical Realism.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That would be fantastic! And if anybody has anything else they want to say, my email's Bacterletsplay@gmail.com

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Thanks for the video, I live in the west side of Chicago where's a big heavy latin american population and the Day of the Dead is big thing with a lot of art work, shops, restaurants, community centers and churches having a altar and celebrations for it.

When it comes time for DDLM, if you could get a picture of anything like that, that would be the coolest thing! Redeemable for points of course, but ALSO just a completely awesome thing that should happen!

infinitycanvas posted:

I'm not so sold on having the side quests and cultural notes being the same video. They seem like they're entirely separate content. I really liked the culture part and there's a bit of side content later that needs to be cut from the main LP, but they're two different things.

I agree. I'll separate bonus from cultural content in the future. I want to avoid having too many "features", so I lumped these in together for convenience sake, but there's no point in having people who just want to hear cultural stuff slog through "and THIS is where you get all of THESE type of secrets".

I'm not saying I'll make two different videos, though. I might just have one of those "click here to watch the whole thing, or here to skip to the cultural stuff" at the beginning of a video.

infinitycanvas posted:

Also, this particular side quest I don't think would have been out of place in the main LP. It only took two minutes in what was already a 30 minute video, and was also the first heart piece you got. It would have also given people who don't watch the bonus content the general idea of how the side quests work in this game.

Yeah, I agree again. 20/20 hindsight and all that. That said, side-quests in this game work by, you know, you talk to a guy with an exclamation point and you get a task and you do it and you come back. I'll assume that if you've managed to find the LP subforum you can do that tango.

J.theYellow posted:

Worth mentioning that this isn't the first video game heavily themed around and based during Dia de los Muertos.

The main character's name is Manny Calavera ("skull" in Spanish) and the story happens during four different Dia de los Muertos holidays, and implied that Manny is taking what is typical for souls, that being four years, to reach final rest, which as you mention is Aztec belief. There are even "angelitos" in the game -- skeleton children who can fly with their wings.

I should probably link a good LP of this in the OP. It's a fantastic game that I've not played, to my shame, but I've seen LP'd. Also, not that I'm letting loose any secrets about future references to look out for, but...

Cultural note edit

Oop, I forgot to publish the music setlist.

El pajarito verde
El agachadito
La polla pinta
El 4 vueltas
Los frijolitos pintos
Los comanches
El rapidito
Los huaraches
Los enanos
Los Matlachines Couldn't find these two, except hokey house music remixes.
El zopilote

All played by "Sones Tradicionales Xantolo". Or uh, that's at least the name of the service where I downloaded them, got them all from mp3skull for free.

Then after that

"Stance gives you Balance" by Hogan Grip, and
"Calm the F*#$ Down" By Broke For Free

both available for free at the free music archive.

Broke For Free is just a quality band that keeps coming up in my LPs, check them out for sure!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There are two excellent Grim Fandango LP's in the Archive, the one by Vexation is completely commentary free so as to be a "movie" while Luisfe did a commentated SSLP. Combine them for maximum edutainment!

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Hey, the link you have under bonus videos in the OP links to the wrong video.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

FixedHA HA I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Maltose posted:

There are two excellent Grim Fandango LP's in the Archive, the one by Vexation is completely commentary free so as to be a "movie" while Luisfe did a commentated SSLP. Combine them for maximum edutainment!

Handy links.
GF The Movie
GF the SSLP

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL :colbert:

e: it is a joke

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 14, 2013

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

A anthropology lesson and set list. Thank you, Bacter!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL :colbert:

You want it changed? I thought you were saying "do steal it, good luck".

And my pleasure, Slim!

Ed: changed it

Bacter fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 14, 2013

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

You want it changed? I thought you were saying "do steal it, good luck".

And my pleasure, Slim!

Ed: changed it

Pff, you're fine. PUT IT BACK I'M A PERSON WITH OPINIONS LISTEN TO ME.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Man, phew. That was such a better title than what I came up with.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

infinitycanvas posted:

Still though, liked the video. Liked the subtle music in the background so that it didn't feel so much like a slideshow.

I'm inclined to agree with this; the two subjects make for a kind of jarring transition to me, but YMMV. Also, I know it would be some extra work, and it's your thread, so make of it what you will. ;)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There was a poster for the 'Super Hermanos', referencing Superbrothers, the developers of "Sword & Sworcery". Both they and the developers of Guacamelee are Canadian.

I don't recall if you explained it or not, but Juan's last name Aguacate means 'avocado', a tie-in with the title.

I imagine that we'll see more of her later, but I have a guess that the female boss is going to be some sort of Malinche/La Llorona type character (some traditions combine them).

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ahh, I know about La Llorna, but Malinche is a cool enough thing I might need to throw that in a cultural note!

ANYWAY THOUGH GUYS

As of 11:18 EST on Wednesday, maybe give it a few minutes for HD to load up.

HD ready

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 16, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Today's episode includes not a lot of guac, but plenty of melee. I don't usually play the sorts of games where you suplex an esqueleto while a chicken looks on approvingly, but maybe I should.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I am a master of thread episode names. Assuming the next episode goes as far as I think it will, I recommend Alebrijes Con Frijoles. At least from how little I know of Spanish I think they're pronounced similarly.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I remember playing this game at Fantastic Fest here in Austin when it first came out - I ended up getting Hotline Miami instead. I'm not entirely sure I -regret- that decision, but now I really do wish that I'd gotten both of them at the same time.

Lucha libre's something that I've always enjoyed at a distance and it'll be interesting to see some more knowledgeable people than myself discuss some of the sociological/cultural aspects of it and how it differs from American wrestling. That and it gave us El Santo which is a gift we should cherish forever.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, lucha libre looks to be the next bonus topic! Solo part 2 is ALMOST encoded.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Tag Team is a lot less co-op than I was expecting, but this structure of expert playing hard/blind play on normal has worked well for other LPs and it bodes pretty well here.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, if true multiplayer was a possibility we'd do that, but the PC version is local multiplayer only, and neither of us has a PS3

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

New video, woop woop!

As before, give it a few minutes to HD if you want, or jump on in!
It is HD'd!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 19, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I live in the southernish reaches of the continental U.S., and Dia de los Muertos is rather more commonly celebrated here than in Bacter's territory. Because this game piqued my interest, I went to a small local collection of Dia de los Muertos art. They actually allowed photography, so Let's look at some Dia de los Muertos art.

THE SILLY

There was a fair bit of art there that was just sort of goofy.

Fish Pirate, by Kelly Pevehouse. Fish pirate.

The Tourist, by Dan Dudley. I felt like this guy.

Ride With Me, Baby!, by Jose Vargas. Carved out of a single piece of wood, the car is a stretch limo that extends two to three times longer out of frame.

I'm not entirely sure what the silly art had to do with the holiday at all, it's just skeletons doing silly things, but it did look like it whoever made it had fun doing so.

THE OLD WORLD

Monarch Skull by Joanna LaGrone-Headrick. Just a little knitted skull with Aztec decorations on it. Only a few cm across. Very fuzzy.

Mictecacihuatl, by Cory H. Black. Mictecacihuatl is the Aztec queen of the underworld, who supposedly arose from one of the (many many) Aztec human sacrifices. The best I can tell is she's sort of a neutral deity, not really benevolent or malign. She looked very out of place among the predominately Catholic iconography.

THE MEMORIALS

The largest category by far, the bulk of the art there were these memorial altars. The altars would be stacked with pictures of the deceased, letters or poems to or about them from their loved ones. as well as a bunch of personal belongings, very sentimental. For example, one guy's had his baseball bat, and a small container of bluebell ice cream on it. They invariably had a lot of Christian art and objects on them as well, usually of things like angels, crosses and crucifixes, bibles opened to passages about the resurrection, that sort of thing. The memorials were all elaborate and complex, and honestly? I felt really awkward photographing them. They were all really personal. I didn't feel right photographing a poem written by a woman to her dead dad, even if she did agree to have it on public display, but I did want to show you guys at least one of them, so I eventually settled on the dumbest one. It's made by the "Honeybee Guild", to remember all the pollinators that died in the face of pollution or whatever. It seemed really insensitive to have an altar to remember bees right next to all the other ones, and I'm sorry it's the only one you're getting, but it will give you an idea of what they looked like. The giant glowing skull in the wide shot threw off my auto-adjust, so the rest of the pictures all all closeups on various parts of the same memorial.

THE GLOOMY

Santa Muerte, by Chet Morrison. There were a fair few of these sorts of pieces as well. Just spooky computer-generated pictures. The glass covers made photographing them a pain in the bright fluorescent light, so this is the only one you get. Honestly I don't like this stuff much. It looks like bad deviantart output to me, and I don't really see the significance beyond "death is spooky". Sorry Chet! If I had to guess, I'd say this sort of art might be a bleedover from Halloween, it didn't really seem to have anything to do with death or the dead, just spooky for spooky's sake.

THE LIGHTHEARTED

Buen Amor y Buena Muerte, by Chris Bergquist Fulmur. The text means "Good love, and a good death, there's no better fate."

CUL8R, by Dan Dudley. You can also see one of the legitimate memorials in the background here.

Sobre el Muerto las Coronas, by Chris Bergquist Fulmur. The text means "On the dead, the crowns." Similar to the sentiment behind the memorial altars, a lot of the art depicted death as just a major life event, like birth or marriage, not really a curse or a punishment. They all seem to portray a conscious, joyful, afterlife, especially the pieces with Christian iconography in them.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I don't see it celebrated as heavily here in Austin as you'd find in San Antonio, but you can still find events all over the place - there's actually one downtown tonight off of 5th and Congress. Giant street festival that I'm missing out on because of a friend's birthday. Ah well.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
Well, both the axe that destroys the bridge in order to drop the monster into the lava and the phrase "princess is in another castle" are references to Mario Bros.

I feel rather bad for claiming the obvious ones, but points are points.

Lobster_Horde fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 20, 2013

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Note that Oaxaca is pronounced "wah-HAH-kah."

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

J.theYellow posted:

Note that Oaxaca is pronounced "wah-HAH-kah."

I'm beginning to think I should get a pronunciation guide for Nahuatl

Lobster_Horde posted:

Well, both the axe that destroys the bridge in order to drop the monster into the lava and the phrase "princess is in another castle" are references to Mario Bros.

I feel rather bad for claiming the obvious ones, but points are points.

Hey, points are points, yo! I know there are at least a couple more in the temple there (but you see what we mean about they're only really aggressively packed in the cities)

citybeatnik posted:

I don't see it celebrated as heavily here in Austin as you'd find in San Antonio, but you can still find events all over the place - there's actually one downtown tonight off of 5th and Congress. Giant street festival that I'm missing out on because of a friend's birthday. Ah well.

Booo. Obviously, up in the Nurthern US it's harder to find celebrations.

Bizarrely, none of the five explicitly Mexican stores in the bigger town near where I live actually had any papel picado, but the mega-chain "Party City" did, and some calaveras de azucar. Make of that what you will I guess.

So Bundifund's trip was obviously awesome! I wasn't aware that concepts, ideas, and, uh, insects got altars too. I submit that the tourist skeleton is the greatest thing I've seen in a long time, and it's really fascinating to see how DDLM is interacting with Halloween, Catholicism, general wacky art culture, all this whole cultural mishmash. I'll probably say more on this when I've had some time to process. UNTIL THEN: bonus section, tag team, first arena, lots of stuff is fully recorded and en route!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I absolutely cannot wait for more of these videos! I was pretty interested in this game when I firs heard about it, but didn't have any money to pick it up. Now I really, really, really, want to get it, asap!

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I'm getting a Kraid statue entrance vibe for some on those entrances. The part in Metroid where you enter in or exit out of his mouth. I can't find a good picture to illustrate my point though.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
There's a Kaepora Gaebora statue in the room to the right where you first fight the Aluxes, and there's a Space Invader in the right wall of the passage that leads next to the sleeping Alebrije.

E: In fact, a bunch of each are scattered throughout the temple and its walls, respectively. Not sure if this counts, but the statement by the Olmec Head at the end is of course a reference to current TSA carry-on policies. Finally, that snake mural you can see an example of during the axe sequence might be a reference to the game Snake, but the only evidence for that is it being, well, a snake and running into itself.

The mural in the second room you see that lady in seems to depict a man standing on a sleeping Alebrije, holding an enormous empty bottle aloft and with two half-empty bottles in the foreground. Is there an Orochi-like legend where the thing is given enormous amounts of alcohol to pacify it?

Other murals include people bowing to the Alebrije, in the first room you meet Hair Lady, and what looks like King Skull commanding it to eat people.

Lobster_Horde fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 29, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh hey, Guacamelee! This game rocks!

Oh hey, Guacamelee. This game is not Magical Realism. To be fair, there are a lot of people who get the genre confused with general fantasty, some people even say that Magical Realism is Fantasy by South Americans. The people who say that are fuckers and will be up against the wall when the time comes.

Gene Wolfe owns and if he was up against the wall it would be a crime. :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nope, sorry. That poo poo is unforgivable and awkwardly racist to boot. As a professor once put it, one gets a Nebula and the other gets a Nobel.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

citybeatnik posted:

Today was the first Saturday of the remainder of the month, during which there will be DDLM stuff every day in Austin. Read up.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

J.theYellow posted:

Today was the first Saturday of the remainder of the month, during which there will be DDLM stuff every day in Austin. Read up.
I was more joke-grousing about missing out on the street festival due to hanging out with a friend. The place that hosted the thing is actually just down the street from where I'm working and had an exhibit on luche libre not that long ago - it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh my goodness gracious sakes alive, guys!

This is AWESOME!

So um, my next cultural note was going to be about Lucha Libre, and in my way that I do, I fired off various requests to some Luchadors, asking if they'd answer a few questions about Lucha Libra.

WELL IT WORKED BETTER THAN I COULD HAVE IMAGINED.

I followed Blue Demon, Jr.'s official website to his facebook page, and, noticing that he posts a lot on there, fired a request his way.

HE ANSWERED BACK, SAYING HE'D BE HAPPY TO ANSWER A FEW QUESTIONS.

Now why is this exciting?

Blue Demon, Jr. is the adopted son of Alejandro Muñoz Moreno, the original Blue Demon, widely considered one of the greatest stars of Lucha Libre, well, ever. He's himself a genuine, active star of Lucha Libre, the current holder of the AAA Latin American Championship, the Pro Wrestling Revolution Tag Team Championship with his teammate (and archenemy, as it turns out) El Hijo del Santo, and JUST recently gave up the PWR World Heavyweight Championship.

This guy is a genuine celebrity, and for this Let's Play of Guacamelee he's agreed to a short interview.

GOONS: WHAT AM I GOING TO ASK THIS GUY?

• Locked thread