Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anything Rube done improve the club beside resigning some dudes.

I guess bringing in Lee? One thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Their last draft wasn't completely terrible. Which is a step up for a barren minors.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Four Aces was 2011. Hopefully the Pence trade disabused you of that belief before the end of the year.

Whatever you make of Amaro, you have to at least credit him with getting rid of Worley, Happ, and Blanton before they messily exploded. Sometimes even for an approximation of a return!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Goddammit, Dan Straily, pitch better so I can a make a dumb joke about the true 4 Aces being you, Sonny Gray, Jesse Chavez, and Scott Kazmir.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

Four Aces was 2011. Hopefully the Pence trade disabused you of that belief before the end of the year.

Whatever you make of Amaro, you have to at least credit him with getting rid of Worley, Happ, and Blanton before they messily exploded. Sometimes even for an approximation of a return!

Oh god was it really that recent? And yeah the Pence trade was when I went "welp." I still to this day have no loving clue what he was thinking.

The good things RAJ did:

-Trading for Cliff Lee
-Dumping The Bad Pitchers

The bad things RAJ did:

-$125 million dollars for Ryan Howard two years before his contract ended :suicide:
-Trading Cliff Lee to get Halladay and the signing him again the next year :wtc:
-Papelbon
-The entire 2012 offseason

And I'm probably forgetting a ton more.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Braves radio claims Ken Rosenthal is reporting a three year extension for Chris Johnson with a club option for a fourth.

No word on money, however.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Well that sounds dumb as hell. Braves dumb.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
He's going to be 30 this year. What the hell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pershing posted:

Braves radio claims Ken Rosenthal is reporting a three year extension for Chris Johnson with a club option for a fourth.

No word on money, however.
$40 million worth of GRIT SCRAP HUSTLE

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Hank Steinbrenner himself said in 2007 "We’re going to have three No. 1’s three years from now" referring to Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy if that's what people were talking about earlier. Yankees prospects will always get hyped because of the team (same goes for any big market team, really)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ok, finally got my MLB.tv account and I've found out that I'm woefully behind on what's been going on since the end of the 2013 season. I'd appreciate some recommended resources written by people who aren't complete idiots to get me somewhat caught up, especially on the Jays and Pirates.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just to be clear:

Under contract past 2015
Chris Johnson

Not under contract past 2015
Justin Upton
Jason Heyward

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Also in the Yankee pitching hype wasn't there Jeff Marquez?

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

tadashi posted:

Just to be clear:

Under contract past 2015
Chris Johnson
B.J. Upton

Justin Upton
Jason Heyward

you forgot an important one

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
gently caress Tyler Clippard forever.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

tadashi posted:

Just to be clear:

Under contract past 2015
Chris Johnson

Justin Upton
Jason Heyward

yeah jason heyward sucks anyways so i dont know whats keeping them from giving him 5 years

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Thauros posted:

I'd appreciate some recommended resources written by people who aren't complete idiots to get me somewhat caught up, especially on the Jays...

JPA thankfully signed elsewhere, and the Jays signed Dioner Navarro to replace him.

He's been respectable at the plate, hitting for an empty average, yet not striking out. He has a 100 wRC+ so he's been the definition of average.

Watching him attempt to throw out base runners may drive you to the drink, however.

You've (lamentably) missed nothing else of significance, since the Jays were aching for a free agent 2B and SP.

e: forgot the resource part, I don't follow a lot of them but Drunk Jays Fans can be entertaining and Bluebird Banter is another.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2014

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
I have this feeling that weekly N/V threads for the rest of the season could just be titled "The Diamondbacks made a big push for victory this year" and it would still be funny every time.

Maybe that's just me.

With a savvier GM, we could have had Tyler Skaggs in the rotation and Adam Eaton in left field. Hell, with a really savvy GM Doug Fister might be a Diamondback this season (good luck Robbie Ray!) or even Julio Teheran, if we flash back to the Justin Upton deal.

Eaton/Pollock/Parra in the outfield, Prado/Owings/Hill/Goldschmidt in the infield, Montero waking his bat back up behind the dish, enough Actual Good Pitchers to avoid the recent implosion...

Excuse me, I need to go wash the couldawouldashoulda out of my mouth.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Did Kevin Towers facilitate the Scherzer trade too? And I'm pretty sure I remember him trading a few good, young pieces to Oakland too. Those wouldn't have hurt matters.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Abel Wingnut posted:

Did Kevin Towers facilitate the Scherzer trade too? And I'm pretty sure I remember him trading a few good, young pieces to Oakland too. Those wouldn't have hurt matters.

nah, that was the year before he was hired

he dealt Jarrod Parker to Oakland for Trevor Cahill. Parker blew out his elbow (for the second time), and Cahill looks broken, so that's a bit of a wash right now

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

bluh posted:

nah, that was the year before he was hired

he dealt Jarrod Parker to Oakland for Trevor Cahill. Parker blew out his elbow (for the second time), and Cahill looks broken, so that's a bit of a wash right now

Cahill and Parker, sure. But the other pieces were Collin Cowgill and Ryan Cook to the A's for Craig Breslow and cash. Breslow's long gone and not extended, Cowgill is an Angel, and Cook is still under Athletics control through the 2017 season.

Never trade with Billy Beane.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Janana posted:

Unless you're the Rockies that one time.

E: Or maybe I should expand it to, "Unless the trade involves Matt Holliday."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MourningView posted:

No no, the grandma wanted to hit the guy who crossed the mound. I miss the whole Braden family.

It's sad to realize he's already retired.

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby

Janana posted:

milton bradley and antonio perez for ethier was pretty good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

Ok, finally got my MLB.tv account and I've found out that I'm woefully behind on what's been going on since the end of the 2013 season. I'd appreciate some recommended resources written by people who aren't complete idiots to get me somewhat caught up, especially on the Jays and Pirates.
Pirates are back to being the Pirates, 2013 was just like when Orpheus came over to the underworld where his singing stopped all the punishments happening in Tartarus, and now in 2014 Orpheus is gone and the furies to deliver punishment for us Pirates fans for the crime of probably being Steelers fans. Okay maybe that's a little overdramatic to explain that Pirates suck again and I'm sad :smith:

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Janana posted:

That Hudson trade wasn't too hot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Pirates are back to being the Pirates, 2013 was just like when Orpheus came over to the underworld where his singing stopped all the punishments happening in Tartarus, and now in 2014 Orpheus is gone and the furies to deliver punishment for us Pirates fans for the crime of probably being Steelers fans. Okay maybe that's a little overdramatic to explain that Pirates suck again and I'm sad :smith:

This was me last season when I realized the 2012 Nats were just a fluke.

Sometimes you just need to appreciate flukes. Wish I had while it was still happening though :negative:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sweeney Tom posted:

Sometimes you just need to appreciate flukes. Wish I had while it was still happening though :negative:
No I appreciated it because it would be really depressing that an entire generation was able to legally drink without living to see the Pirates win a season.

God I hate Bob Nutting; let Mario and Ron buy the team you rear end in a top hat :argh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Laderhan posted:

That Hudson trade wasn't too hot.

It looked fine at the time but then Dan Meyer's arm blew up and Hudson turned out to be a cyborg. The Mulder trade made up for it though.

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Unless you're the Rockies that one time.

E: Or maybe I should expand it to, "Unless the trade involves Matt Holliday."

Gonzalez would not be the same guy playing half his games in Oakland, but yeah.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 2, 2014

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Nats have a bunch of good, young players. They're closer to 2012 For Real than they are to 2013, with standard health disclaimer.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If you sit there and admire your posts I will bean you

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

the dodgers-twins second game of the day took 5 goddamn hours. is there a single person on earth who sat through the whole thing? also kenley jansen is broken.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'm on my phone so I can't imbed the picture but here have a picture of Jose Reyes phone after being repeatedly drunk dialed by his teammates http://instagram.com/p/mxXRuEzVXh/

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Red Sox had a five aces meme for a bit, that year they tried to make Papelbon into a starter in Spring Training.

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby

Der Meister posted:

the dodgers-twins second game of the day took 5 goddamn hours. is there a single person on earth who sat through the whole thing? also kenley jansen is broken.

he is coming off the flu or whatever everyone else has been having

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Nationals are a good team that would probably be leading the NLEast if not for the untimely demise of 3 of their 4 best offensive players. And Doug Fister.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The whole league is playing such mediocre baseball at the moment, I don't know if I could really feel confident in saying that any team has risen above the pack yet. Seems like there's a red flag no matter where you look. Oakland and LA have the best run differential by a lot, but the rest of the league looks even, or not too far in one direction to make any statement (except Arizona, they're bad).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DannoMack posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't imbed the picture but here have a picture of Jose Reyes phone after being repeatedly drunk dialed by his teammates http://instagram.com/p/mxXRuEzVXh/

Who might El Lembo be?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

tadashi posted:

Who might El Lembo be?

Moises Sierra, which may actually not answer your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jeez Braves, how the hell did you manage to get swept by my awful Marlins

• Locked thread