Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Azhais posted:

For any of you with an vested interest in the Rams' backfield: Daryl Richardson got waived

Zac Stacy is cool and I really want him again this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What do you guys think of DeAndre Hopkins this year? Last year he really proved he's talented and capable of producing with scant opportunities, but I'm obviously worried that he has nobody throwing to him and that AJ will be sneaking off with what little production will exist for the Texans offense.

Where would you take a chance on him in a normal 12 man? Round 15?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Depends on what happens with Andre. Assuming Andre stays, I think he played well enough last year that he won't be around in rd 15. His current ADP is round 10. But I personally wouldn't want to take him that high because of the Texans QB situation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
OK trade evaluation thread, I've got more for you.

In my 12 man dynasty league (.5PPR, Q/2R/2W/1T/1WRT), I've got:

RB:
Forte
Tate
Vereen
Ridley
Lattimore

WR:
AJ Green
Crabtree
Nelson
Patterson
Golden Tate
Marlon Brown

#8 position on rookie picks

I don't feel real strongly about Tate's chances to stay healthy for more than about 5 games this season, Lattimore is still probably on the bench this year especially with him saying he's not 100%, and gently caress Belichick. I'd like to make a move to get someone in the rookie draft like Sankey since there's no way he's there at 8. The owner of the 1.3 has said that its available: he's the Gore owner and doesn't have much WR depth.

Do you think:
Lattimore
Tate

for

is fair, overpaying, underpaying, or likely to get me laughed at?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Personally I'd just wait and pick Terrance West.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LmaoTheKid posted:

Personally I'd just wait and pick Terrance West.

I've thought about that, handcuffs and all, but everyone gettin' me all paranoid about Isaiah Crowell

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I commish a 10 man redraft league. Would incorporating trading draft picks during the trade be a good idea? Without keepers, I don't think we could really take draft picks from the next year or anything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

89 posted:

I commish a 10 man redraft league. Would incorporating trading draft picks during the trade be a good idea? Without keepers, I don't think we could really take draft picks from the next year or anything.

People like trading, no good reason to ban it I suppose. Just keep in mind its real easy for someone to screw themselves with bad trade ups.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey all, I am most likely going to start up a fantasy football league this year with some close friends and was looking for some general advice on drafting. Assuming that it is a standard rules league, what position is the most valuable to draft first? I have seen friend's leagues in the past where RB is always the first to get drafted, but is that still the case? I just want to have a good idea of what positions I should be looking for in each round. Obviously there isn't a set order due to a stud being available late, but I would like to understand the value of each position a little better.

I am sure I will have more dumb questions as we get closer to September so I appreciate the feedback.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is "standard" PPR or non-PPR? Generally in non-PPR RBs are the way to go early (and even in PPR), but some people take that to an illogical extreme and draft RB-RB-RB-RB-RB based on the myth that WR is somehow magically deep and that WR38 you'll have as your WR1 is somehow worth it.

Generally its all RBs til like 1.6, then you start getting to make some choices. If you're picking really early its usually best to take the best RB on the board because by the time it circles back around to you they're likely to be picked through. If you're late in the round its often better to take that stud WR first then find a good RB.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

Hey all, I am most likely going to start up a fantasy football league this year with some close friends and was looking for some general advice on drafting. Assuming that it is a standard rules league, what position is the most valuable to draft first? I have seen friend's leagues in the past where RB is always the first to get drafted, but is that still the case? I just want to have a good idea of what positions I should be looking for in each round. Obviously there isn't a set order due to a stud being available late, but I would like to understand the value of each position a little better.

I am sure I will have more dumb questions as we get closer to September so I appreciate the feedback.

Hi. Welcome to Thunderdome.

Personally I would suggest going with 0.5 PPR. Points per reception is pretty easy to understand, and it makes the WR and TE positions worth more compared to RB. Otherwise in standard typically your best bet is to find a bellcow RB, particularly if you choose very early. This is because relative to the other positions the top tier RBs will produce more points compared to the bottom tier of starter quality players.

Basically when drafting you have to think about two things. First, what do you gain by drafting a specific player relative to his peers. Second, what do you lose by drafting that player. The basic premise behind value based drafting (VBD) is that the position isn't as important as the value of a player relative to their starting quality. The hard part is figuring out what a starting quality value means, but recently I've taken a historic approach. In a 12 man 0.5 PPR league with 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, FLX, and 1 TE positions the average points per game for a starter over the last 3 years was as follows:

QB: 18 points
RB: 11.5 points
WR: 13.5 points
TE: 10.0 points
FLX: 10.6 points

For purposes of this exercise let's say the predictions are their 2013 numbers. Now let's say you're looking at Peyton Manning (26.37 PPG), Jamaal Charles (20.8 PPG), Calvin Johnson (15.8 PPG), and Jimmy Graham (13.59 PPG). Who would you pick? Well if you went by raw points you would pick Peyton Manning, since he scores the most. But by doing so you'll lose out on the other top tier players. Assuming you're not completely retarded at drafting you should be able to get a starting quality player for each position, meaning you can get a player for each position that can put up the points listed above. So to take a VBD approach, look at the difference between what the player is projected to produce and what a starter quality player would produce. So Peyton has a value of 8.37 PPG, Charles is 9.3 PPG, Megatron is 2.3 PPG, and Jimmy Graham is 3.59 PPG. At that point you see that Charles has the greatest value relative to a starter, and by the VBD approach you would take him.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Just don't pick CJ Spiller in the 1st round.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
So was looking at dynasty keeper options since those have to be in before too horribly long, and rather than get into all sorts of rules it boils down to this, is Zac Stacy worth more than $39 of a $250 cap? 2RB/3WR .75ppr

I ask now because it's a slow time of the year but my choice has to be made before preseason starts anyway so...it's not like waiting does me any favors.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

89 posted:

Just don't pick CJ Spiller in the 1st round.

No, Trent Richardson was the dud of all 1st round duds last year. I've been doing this for over 10 years and I'm not sure I can remember a worse consensus 1st round pick, other than those that suffered season-ending injuries in Week 1. You can even make a case that 2008 Tom Brady was better for your team than '13 Trent Richardson. Brady blew his knee week 1 and you were forced to find a new QB. Trent Richardson was healthy and you kept rolling him out there for 6, 8, maybe even 9-10 weeks and he gave you somewhere between 1-3 points every week from your RB1.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Last year was full of duds in the first round. Rice, Martin, Richardson, Spiller. Was as bad as I've seen.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
CJ2K every year after his breakout year

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

CJ2K every year after his breakout year

Chris Johnson has never run for less than 1000 yards in a season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris Johnson has never run for less than 1000 yards in a season.

That milestone needs to die. With running backs today 1000 isn't anything. That's barely 62 yards a game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jabro posted:

That milestone needs to die. With running backs today 1000 isn't anything. That's barely 62 yards a game.

You're right, something only 13 running backs did last year is definitely not worth considering. But hey, it's a passing league so let's think about that as well.

Chris Johnson has never had less than 1400 combined yards in a season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If you love Chris Johnson so much, then why didn't you draft him?

:smug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

If you love Chris Johnson so much, then why didn't you draft him?

:smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTg6Ql2XAj0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're right, something only 13 running backs did last year is definitely not worth considering. But hey, it's a passing league so let's think about that as well.

The problem with Chris Johnson is that he's as likely to put up 0 as 40 in any given game. I don't really care where he ends up at the end of the season, if I can't trust him week to week he's no good. Like Doug Martin's rookie year- I lost a lot of games because of his 3/30/3/30 scoring.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's a valid point, and one of the reasons I am okay with him being drafted where he is.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why aren't you mentioning TDs

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

Why aren't you mentioning TDs

It's worth considering, but they fluctuate so much that I prefer to look at YPC (more specifically points per possession) when figuring out a player's talent level.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's worth considering, but they fluctuate so much that I prefer to look at YPC (more specifically points per possession) when figuring out a player's talent level.

5.3. Those are his average touchdowns over the past three seasons. When RBs normally net you 6 points per TD, that hurts and is the reason why you can't expect production relative to his skillset especially when he is in a system that uses a power back for goal-line.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

5.3. Those are his average touchdowns over the past three seasons. When RBs normally net you 6 points per TD, that hurts and is the reason why you can't expect production relative to his skillset especially when he is in a system that uses a power back for goal-line.

Focusing on TDs is what made Trent Richardson a first round pick. To be clear, I am not suggesting that CJ is a a first round pick. But at his talent level and draft position I think it's a good buy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
What scares me is there are a lot of mouths to feed on the Jets running wise.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LmaoTheKid posted:

What scares me is there are a lot of mouths to feed on the Jets running wise.

Yeah he could end up doing nothing, or he could end up with another 1000 yard season.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah he could end up doing nothing, or he could end up with another 1000 yard season.

and another 5.3 touchdowns

Sorry Beer. I'm gonna ride that one at least until rookie mini-camps are over.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The title of this thread couldn't be more true.

This team (starters listed)

QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: LeSean McCoy
RB: Marshawn Lynch
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Demariyus Thomas
TE: Julius Thomas
K: Whocares
LB: Kiko Alonso
LB: Paul Poslunsky
DL: Chandler Jones
DB: Earl Thomas

Didnt even make it to the finals in a 10 man league. Of course, how did I get that team? I'm in a league of smart players, mostly. Just a lot of injuries, my waiver wire gold, and a lot of bad luck for my opponents lead me to coming up with this team out of my rear end. And I drafted well...

AND LOST. After that season, I just...don't know..

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

and another 5.3 touchdowns

Sorry Beer. I'm gonna ride that one at least until rookie mini-camps are over.

Ride it all you want. I would gladly take 1400 yards and 5 touchdowns out of a flex spot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
CJ?k getting surgery this offseason isn't that great. Also Chris Ivory hth

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gyshall posted:

CJ?k getting surgery this offseason isn't that great. Also Chris Ivory hth

Chris Ivory is about as injury prone as Miles Austin however.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Don't draft a Jet. hth.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Sean "Mr. Glass" Lee has torn another ACL, it seems. More ACLs for the ACL God.

Hope he's okay and recovers easily. Who's next up for his spot, though? Wasn't it Carter last year?

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 27, 2014

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm psychotic so I'm looking at ADP stuff already. Last year, T-Rich and CJ Spiller being top 10 picks so early shocked me. Year before that Ryan Matthews shocked me. What I'm saying is, whoever shocks me is about to bust hard.

And so I will boldly proclaim Eddie Lacy and Montae Ball as your 2014 1st round busts.

I like Andre Ellington going in the 3rd and Ryan Matthews in the 4th. This is the year for Matthews! No really I believe. He'll be the goal line back, coming off his first healthy year, and in the final year of his contract.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw today that Arizona wants Ellington to get like 25 touches a game this year. Every time something like that gets said it never actually happens

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
And Spiller was going to run the ball until he threw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I fell for that CJ Spiller bullshit hook line and sinker in like half my leagues.

• Locked thread