Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLiTpXTqASU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

all of the bosses in human revolutions seriously gently caress all of them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
any boss that doesn't have multiple forms that have a shitton of health can eat a plethora of dicks

Sam in Revengeance does multiple forms really well by changing style based on health, it doesn't have to be astral goku form for another form

if your ai for a boss is ten lines long and takes an hour to fight you are a bad developer

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Whenever it's not clear that I'm actually supposed to lose the fight to progress.

there's one of these in ffix and i was actually having fun with it because it seemed really hard but i was keeping on but then it turned out that you're supposed to lose and i wasted a metric fuckton of items

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Oil Can Boyd posted:

all of the bosses in human revolutions seriously gently caress all of them

I just used the taser over and over again it was like playing NYPD simulator

The first one caught me off guard though because I had a full stealth build and then I got shoehorned into a combat situation with no way around it :negative:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Widestancer posted:

lmbo

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Widestancer posted:

The first one caught me off guard though because I had a full stealth build and then I got shoehorned into a combat situation with no way around it :negative:

what's stupid is that you sneak through the whole area and get the ghost xp bonus but then in the cutscene the biggest guy in the entire game sneaks up on you and lands a sweet haymaker.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Action Tortoise posted:

what's stupid is that you sneak through the whole area and get the ghost xp bonus but then in the cutscene the biggest guy in the entire game sneaks up on you and lands a sweet haymaker.

this is basically my biggest problem with it, like oh i am the most stealthy motherfucker who ever lived, i just hosed seriously everyone over and they didnt notice me, oh poo poo this guy who is massive was able to sneak up on me. i see.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Oil Can Boyd posted:

this is basically my biggest problem with it, like oh i am the most stealthy motherfucker who ever lived, i just hosed seriously everyone over and they didnt notice me, oh poo poo this guy who is massive was able to sneak up on me. i see.

Glitching the gently caress out of the dumb bitch in the Canada office level to where she would keep running into the wall was pretty funny though hth

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Widestancer posted:

Glitching the gently caress out of the dumb bitch in the Canada office level to where she would keep running into the wall was pretty funny though hth

it does help thank you widestancer

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

play the directors cut

the missing link owns and is a proper deus ex experience

makes me hopeful for the future games

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Terror Sweat posted:

play the directors cut

the missing link owns and is a proper deus ex experience

makes me hopeful for the future games

oh man they actually did something to fix that poo poo? might actually have to buy a game i got for free from plus just for that...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Basically any boss that has too much HP because more HP is not a substitute for an actual challenge, it's just a test of how many healing items you have. Most multiform bosses are also this.

gently caress that, Necrosaro was awesome

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i can't remember which psx final fantasy it was for but there was a boss that was a face and hands popping out of a wall, and i wasnt nearly powerful enough to beat it, but im pretty sure i got locked in the room with it and couldnt go grind any where, and so i never beat it, that boss can suck my dick

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Oil Can Boyd posted:

oh man they actually did something to fix that poo poo? might actually have to buy a game i got for free from plus just for that...

they added turrets you can hack into for every boss, plus opened the areas up a bit so you can run and hide from them if you want

the missing link dlc is really good

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Oil Can Boyd posted:

i can't remember which psx final fantasy it was for but there was a boss that was a face and hands popping out of a wall, and i wasnt nearly powerful enough to beat it, but im pretty sure i got locked in the room with it and couldnt go grind any where, and so i never beat it, that boss can suck my dick

Hmm, was it a PSX port of an old FF? Only thing that comes to mind here is the wall in FF4's sealed cavern.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
gurdy basically ruins any binding of isaac run i do if i run into her

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Fenrir posted:

Hmm, was it a PSX port of an old FF? Only thing that comes to mind here is the wall in FF4's sealed cavern.

holy poo poo it is too wow

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh gently caress nope its demons gate from ff7 apparently sorry i jumped the gun there!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That whole dungeon was annoying if you weren't prepared for it

:spergin: me as a kind though had broken the game in two with enemy skill and champion belt though :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
square loves wall bosses like nintendo loves two hands you have to fight bosses

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Oil Can Boyd posted:

holy poo poo it is too wow

You can skip that whole dungeon. Just cast Warp with Rydia after the Calbrena/Golbez fights and get the crystal that Golbez supposedly stole. It's still there and the game considers it to be the same one you'd get in that cave. The cutscene that's supposed to happen afterward triggers as soon as you enter.

e: Welp, nevermind. Gonna leave that there though, for anyone else who might want it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Fenrir posted:

You can skip that whole dungeon. Just cast Warp with Rydia after the Calbrena/Golbez fights and get the crystal that Golbez supposedly stole. It's still there and the game considers it to be the same one you'd get in that cave. The cutscene that's supposed to happen afterward triggers as soon as you enter.

unfortunately i was entirely mistaken and it was a stupid ff7 boss, i still dont think ive beaten 4, is the ds port any good?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ds port's a little bullshit and has unintuitive stuff but is otherwise solid

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Oil Can Boyd posted:

unfortunately i was entirely mistaken and it was a stupid ff7 boss, i still dont think ive beaten 4, is the ds port any good?

DS version isn't a port, it's a serious remake in 3D with a lot of different poo poo and a lot of the abilities are changed. I'd recommend playing the SNES version if you want the easy US version, or find a translation patch (there are like 3) for the original japanese ROM if you want anything that even remotely resembles a challenge. Or get the PSP version because it owns, but it also fixes a lot of the fun glitches.

Overall I'd say the PSP version is the best, but if you want to do silly poo poo and exploit MP underflow, crystal warp, and poo poo like that, just play US SNES.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Oil Can Boyd posted:

It's stupid hard iirc

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i have a ten day trip ahead of me and already have my acekard basically full so i guess ill pass on it for now but ill look into the snes version thanks

Dec 26, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

they added turrets you can hack into for every boss, plus opened the areas up a bit so you can run and hide from them if you want

the missing link dlc is really good

the boss "fix" felt really underwhelming and lazy but its not like they could change much given what they had locked themselves into already

but it didnt matter because

Widestancer posted:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cyra posted:

It's stupid hard iirc

It's really not. I don't know why it gets that reputation. It's just not "hold A and win" easy like the original dumbed down US version was. It's not even remotely difficult. There are plenty of other bullshit RPGs to take that mantle, like 7th Saga or Nocturne on hard mode.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fenrir posted:

7th Saga

gently caress running into other PC's in that game so hard :suicide:

8 year old me legit nerd raged at that game for a little bit when I rented it

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Widestancer posted:

gently caress running into other PC's in that game so hard :suicide:

8 year old me legit nerd raged at that game for a little bit when I rented it

I actually beat that goddamn game twice before I made the smart decision to never play it again. I don't even want to know how much time I spent doing that poo poo. 7th Saga is Masochism: The Game.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

i hated this guy so much when i first started playing dark souls

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Green Calx posted:

i hated this guy so much when i first started playing dark souls

I never died on Capra until I made a silly mistake on a NG+2 run with my like, 9th character?

Quelaag, however, is a totally different story. gently caress that spiderbitch. My first run I must have died at least 20 times in that fight.

And I STILL can't do Bed of Chaos without dying at least 3 or 4 loving times to sideswipes while I'm trying to line up my goddamn jump.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lol, just noticed the dude runs right over his bloodstain without picking it up

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro

No Such Thing posted:

lol, just noticed the dude runs right over his bloodstain without picking it up

thats usually the mark of someone who has just given up. like hollowing, but in real life

Dec 26, 2012

it just kills me that he has the right idea i think (go right, then cross left) but cant release the death grip on his shield long enough to do something that wouldnt get him immediately killed

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fenrir posted:

I never died on Capra until I made a silly mistake on a NG+2 run with my like, 9th character?

Quelaag, however, is a totally different story. gently caress that spiderbitch. My first run I must have died at least 20 times in that fight.

And I STILL can't do Bed of Chaos without dying at least 3 or 4 loving times to sideswipes while I'm trying to line up my goddamn jump.

my first time through capra was an rear end in a top hat. on my third character i learned that if you don't move forward you won't trigger the second dog. so i just inched forward enough to have him do his lunge while i moved away to avoid the hit and blocked the first dog. killed that and kept to the entrance and stayed real close to the demon. most of his swipes go over you if you're in his face. but always circle strafe the one where he takes both swords and does that huge swipe.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Gobblecoque posted:

there's one of these in ffix and i was actually having fun with it because it seemed really hard but i was keeping on but then it turned out that you're supposed to lose and i wasted a metric fuckton of items

was it beatrix

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SGR posted:

was it beatrix

i think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

My first play through of dark souls I got lost and wound up in the valley of dragons running for my life from the undead dragon and the electric blue ones. I get to the campfire in the old tower thinking I'm safe but then I run into the black knight with a lance. The guy charges at me and winds up falling off a cliff without ever hitting me and I got his lance which was like 20 minutes in.

I made capra demon my bitch I was no longer afraid, it was all thanks to that lance.

• Locked thread