Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This game was such a disappointment. I got hyped, and ended up caving and getting a basic founders package right before the game opened to everyone. It was graphically pretty good, but it felt a little floaty despite the heavy noises. More importantly, the actual guts of the game was so weak, unbalanced, and repetitive. The grindwall was intolerable, and the trial mechs were a chore to deal with. I figured I'd play until they added the Summoner, but I guess I would have waited a very, very long time. Top it off with the naked contempt of the company behind it for the fans paying them, and it's a real shame to see if happen to one of my favorite franchises.

Pour out two LRM 20s for our homies that ain't here no more. Maybe I'll try and get into the tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Yeah, thinking about it I'll not try it again, It's just that I want a MW game really hard but I'm not putting up with PGI again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I really liked Mechwarrior Living Legends for what it's worth. Pretty sure I mentioned that about every single page in the last thread but it was true.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Cowcaster posted:

I really liked Mechwarrior Living Legends for what it's worth. Pretty sure I mentioned that about every single page in the last thread but it was true.

They sorta half-assed a mercenaries approach with this game with how you buy stuff, but I'd really love a good MWO that was based on Mercenaries with PVE missions of some kind.

That's the biggest flaw in this game - it's basically only TDM. Especially with the small maps and 12v12. Even the capture/conquest mode doesn't feel like anything more than TDM because they made capping so unbelievably slow.

But like another poster said it's still the best stompy robot game I've played since MW4

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

I remeber that I gave up on this game, than returned to buy the Cancer Jenner and quickly leave it alone again. I doubt that the promise of inbalanced, over-powered clan mechs will bring me back to this train wreck... but maybe I'll install it again on the weekend to see if the game itself is fun, my hate and disapointment with Paul/PGI has cooled off a bit in the long time in which I didn't touch the game.

One important thing that might change my mind, is ramming/collision back? Or are at least plans mentioned to bring it back?

1. Don't go into it thinking the game will be true to MW, it has really good looking mechs and some MW type gameplay but it is NOT a "true" mw game, its MW light that's fun in its own right.

2. Don't pay money, the gameplay gets stale quickly because there is only deathmatch, they may say there are other game modes, but they're all death match on the same 6 maps. For a free game its good fun, you stomp around and shoot people until you're bored, for a game you paid for its kinda lacking.

3. Play heavy or assaults. If you're very good you can do well in lights, the hero firestarter is actually VERY good since they made machine guns crit machines, but see point 2 about how long you'll enjoy that real money firestarter.

At the end of the day though its still good times if you just want to stomp around in pretty mechs reliving your youth for an hour or two at a time. It is not a game for serious competition, and it is not a game you'll play for hours on end.

No, they couldn't unfuck knockdowns so just took them out. It kinda sucks but the way it was implemented originally, while hilarious, was also lovely so no real loss IMO.

I don't follow what they're working on next all that closely, last I heard they posted a map of the is on twitter or something and said they're focusing on cw, but I'd put money on a map or two and some more mechs. The balancing patches have been decent-ish lately though, the tournament was pretty embarrassing and showed how stale poptsrting and high alpha builds are. The other big issue is time to kill now that there is focused fire from 12 mechs instead of 8.

Also, the ui is loving horrible, I have to mute my speakers every time I change a mechs loadout because that goddamned tinkling noise is so loving annoying, and I had to Google how to buy/sell mechs. Its seriously the worst ui I've ever seen in a game, it was easier figuring out the WoT garage ui in Russian (which I don't speak) than it was figuring out the mwo ui.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 24, 2014

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

I liked heavy gear 2 fwiw

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Hey it's like a reunion.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you are thinking about trying this game, don't. I never thought a developer could get progressively worse despite good helpful and hopeful feedback from a very large community who wanted nothing more than to actually help the game instead of just 'nerf nerf nerf' like most. This game has no hope of ever having a revival due to how horribly things have gone.

You would be better served blowing money on a game like DOTA2 or LoL instead of this.

Yes it is that bad.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I remember they killed the wol bird's nest jabber room while I was on vacation, but I don't know how to jabber with wol people anymore. I don't want to dig up my goonfleet.com login info, could someone just tell me where the jabber room went?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

ded posted:

If you are thinking about trying this game, don't. I never thought a developer could get progressively worse despite good helpful and hopeful feedback from a very large community who wanted nothing more than to actually help the game instead of just 'nerf nerf nerf' like most. This game has no hope of ever having a revival due to how horribly things have gone.

You would be better served blowing money on a game like DOTA2 or LoL instead of this.

Yes it is that bad.

It's F2P. Unless you spend money on it you really can't lose out on anything but time. Something goons have in mass quantity. :smug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

drgnvale posted:

I remember they killed the wol bird's nest jabber room while I was on vacation, but I don't know how to jabber with wol people anymore. I don't want to dig up my goonfleet.com login info, could someone just tell me where the jabber room went?

There isn't one. The goon population for this game is named "oswald ownenstein" and WoL is long disbanded. You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's F2P. Unless you spend money on it you really can't lose out on anything but time. Something goons have in mass quantity. :smug:

"Play this terrible game because you won't be wasting any money, just time!"

Orv
May 4, 2011

But like another poster said it's still the best stompy robot game I've played since MW4

Gundams Online is a better robot game than this and it is hot garbage.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Chomp8645 posted:

There isn't one. The goon population for this game is named "oswald ownenstein" and WoL is long disbanded. You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

Well, the bird's nest lived on long after everyone quit MWO. There was warthunder and payday 2 chat all day every day. I was hoping there would be Elite chat too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

drgnvale posted:

Well, the bird's nest lived on long after everyone quit MWO. There was warthunder and payday 2 chat all day every day. I was hoping there would be Elite chat too.

I mean the goon jabber is still there as always. You can hop in and chat with people about a lot of games, just not MWO because it's a pile of poo poo that nobody plays.

If you need the basic jabber info then find the thread in the Private Game Servers subforum (it's not supposed to be linked publicly). It's called [CTS] Camping the Stairs

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 24, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
You are laying it on a bit thick Chomp.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Don't actually play this game, its bad, the people who developed it are bad, don't do it. Thanks in advance.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This game used to be good but they managed to fix that after some really, really heavy development in the 'make this game worse' department. It's a loving miracle, and it is the only time it's ever happened in my experience. Special bunch of assholes in charge here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Is the game still bad?

... Yup. Oh well.

Come play BattleTech with me* instead.

*In about a year, as I work my way through the list. Waiting to play will still be more fun than MWO.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh lord the nostalgia. This may be my single biggest video game disappointment in history. The game was so drat fun in closed beta. Gimmick SSRM Commando drops. 125 km/h Hunchbacks. Glorious Lawsome/Mawsome banzai charges. Pubbie Pokemon and SQUAAAAWK and alt-f4-for-third-person and bowling-ball Dragons knocking down entire lances. Halcyon days.

In case anything I just said makes you want to play MWO in its current state, please don't.

JaKivi
Mar 28, 2010
I don't really get all of the hate this game receive from goons but then again i am not huge mechwarrior nerd. I have fun with it and to me that is what matters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JaKivi posted:

I don't really get all of the hate this game receive from goons but then again i am not huge mechwarrior nerd. I have fun with it and to me that is what matters.

The thing is that it's pretty much a bad game mechanically regardless of your boner or lack thereof for Mechwarrior, which is basically the immediate death of any of these sorts of games.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't play the game anymore because it sucks, but for all the hype about clan mechs, they look pretty bad ingame. The art design was so solid for most of the IS mechs, but the heavier clan ones look kind of derpy. The Stormcrow looks amazing, though.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
After this game I think the Mechwarrior franchise is better off being buried.

hosed up, but true.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I still wish this video had panned out.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Orv posted:

I still wish this video had panned out.

This debut trailer has nothing to do with the game they delivered... or the mess they turned the released game into. It's like PGI feeds of the pain of the MW/BT community. :smithicide:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
To be fair that was a mock trailer for a single player Mechwarrior 5 that no publisher wanted to touch.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

That is true, but I doubt they would've done better with a campaign singleplayer than with the current online arena. Btw, is faction warfrae in yet? I remember them pushing it back again and again, but than they pinned it on the Clan Mech release, and from what I read here, those Mechs actually got released (which actually suprised me, I thought those gold mech preorders were one final money-grab before they abandon ship).

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I was pretty active during the open beta, had a lot of fun but had a subpar computer. Now I have a nice computer, but I'm glad to see that I won't need to spend my time shooting robbits because this game looks like it's worse than it was even then, and back then it was only starting to get bad.

I miss gooning with you goons but I don't have that much interest in starting up on a game that's well established unless it's for some prime time griefing.

Anyways, it's too bad this game still sucks because it would've been a lot of fun shooting some things with lasers on a computer that is nearly decent now. Maybe next time a beta game promises the moon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

remember the totally fine and usable UI back in the beta?

No.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Feindfeuer posted:

That is true, but I doubt they would've done better with a campaign singleplayer than with the current online arena. Btw, is faction warfrae in yet? I remember them pushing it back again and again, but than they pinned it on the Clan Mech release, and from what I read here, those Mechs actually got released (which actually suprised me, I thought those gold mech preorders were one final money-grab before they abandon ship).

aahahahaha no faction warfare isn't in yet.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

MW:LL was a ton of potential that almost made it. If only someone had handed them the money that PGI flushed down the toilet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are the clan mechs only available for real money? I could not find them for purchase with in-game credits in the mech garage.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

aahahahaha no faction warfare isn't in yet.

So... what have they been doing all that time than? Only introducing those new Clan Mechs and randomly loving with weapon balance?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

So... what have they been doing all that time than? Only introducing those new Clan Mechs and randomly loving with weapon balance?

Making new mechs that they can sell for in $500 packs that people are stupid enough to buy.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Feindfeuer posted:

The new lovely UI was the original bottleneck for everything. Then they announced the Clans and they absolutely had to use all available resources towards that. Now they are "full steam ahead" on Community Warfare, seriously guys they are working on it this time I promise, but the only thing they've really announced to the community is the option to make a clan/group and invite friends. Fart. Two years too late there.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2014

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Well, they announced the ability to one day be able to create mercenary groups pretty much around the time they started to sell those founder packs... I guess they just have no idea what to do with the community/faction warfare concept at all.

Edit:
I almost feel nostalgic enough to get back in to just drive my Founder Atlas one last time, but I know I'll just be disapointed and regret wasting the bandwith on it afterwards.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Are the clan mechs only available for real money? I could not find them for purchase with in-game credits in the mech garage.

Yep, right now anyway. I think the first one goes for C-bills in August.

There are still a bunch of people that play this game - my queues are nearly instant solo and I'm never playing the same people match after match.

There's a lot of bad things about the game but it's still fun to play if you liked MW2/3/4. Most of the hate is over the top rhetoric based on dislike for PGI for some of their decisions.

But again, it's F2P - it certainly doesn't cost you anything to try it with some trial mechs and see if it's fun. The people telling you to not even try a F2P game are doing it because, for some reason, the idea of someone liking the game and spending money on it offends them.

(You can't like what I dislike!!!!! :argh:)

I play a bunch of games each night in solo queue. About 50/50 W/L rate. Some of those open maps like Caustic or Alpine loving blow so hard if you're not a lamer LRM/sniper boat.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
After two years they did bring back the beta matchmaker (albeit slightly upgraded)! :shobon:

It attempts to match in a 3/3/3/3 (light/medium/heavy/assault) layout, but since nobody playes lights or mediums, it just matches up based on weight class instead. Around 4-5 am est, you might get an unbalanced match or two, but it's better than the ELO abortion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep, right now anyway. I think the first one goes for C-bills in August.

That's the dumbest loving thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blazing Ownager posted:

CW still isn't happening and when it does it's bound to suck.

I fondly remember back in 2012 when it was scheduled to be done within 90 days of beta, then by Feb 2013, then Q2 2013, then sometime 2013 "for sure," then early 2014 and so on.

• Locked thread