Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Shedrakzo posted:

It looks like the video is private.

It was, forgot to publish it, fixed it now

oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I can't believe that Andy is loving dead.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What a weird sequel hook, did they even know they were gonna do a second game? Ah well, looking forward to Heart of Darkness 2: Adventures of Whiskey.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Crosspeice posted:

What a weird sequel hook, did they even know they were gonna do a second game? Ah well, looking forward to Heart of Darkness 2: Adventures of Whiskey.

It's actually a RTS where you can play as either the Amigos or the Kingdom of Darkness.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

We're getting close to where I got stuck as a kid and just kinda threw up my hands. Can't wait to see you play through what I missed out on, and your reaction to the ending.

As easy as Dex makes this game look, it really, really isn't. Heart of Darkness is extremely loving hard, later areas especially so, and I hope that Dex is planning a death reel to show off what the game is really like when you're not perfectly on your game. Because as he's mentioned there are LOTS of ways to die, and you and death will get very chummy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If he doesn't want to worry about filming the various death animations, I could post a link to a full set of them. Once he finishes though, because it has spoilers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, after so much of the game where you were able to FIGHT your way free, and where patient whittling down of enemies often saw you through, I remember being unarmed again as being a bit of an adrenaline rush. Suddenly you just had to LEG IT LEG IT LEG IT, jump over enemies, dodge past them, etc. and hope you were fast enough, no time to stop and think about where to go or what to do.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Man, this game. I played it at a friends house for an hour before I had to leave. I never got very far.

There is something about it that still holds up though, 90s CGI and all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Same with the PS1 Oddworld games; basically games that aren't caught in that weird mid-to-late 90s 3D adolescence that has aged so poorly. By 2001 it was actually possible to play a 3D game that wouldn't make your eyes bleed. 2D games of that generation still look pretty nice though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think it's a lot down to whether they tried to be realistic or stylized. Old "realistic" stuff just looks terrible in most cases, while the more stylized it is, the more bearable it tends to look.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm not sure about that. Oddworld looks realistic and great, whereas Croc looks stylized and lovely.

Metal Gear Solid still looks pretty drat good (Kojima left out faces so they wouldn't age badly), whereas FF8 looks pretty dated.

edit; What I'm saying is that I think the whole generation was super inconsistent. Pretty hard to play Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal 2 these days, but holy poo poo have games like Castlevania SOTN, Einhander, Colony Wars, and Wipeout held up over the years.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of the cut-scenes don't look to hold up too well, but they are making up for it in other ways.

The in-game stuff holds up the best of it all, being still fairly gorgeous use of shadows, shadows as enemies and a creepy, cartoony feel to everything summing it up as "fear of the dark".

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

I hope that Dex is planning a death reel

I can confirm that I am planning a Death Reel.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

We're getting close to where I got stuck as a kid and just kinda threw up my hands. Can't wait to see you play through what I missed out on, and your reaction to the ending.

As easy as Dex makes this game look, it really, really isn't. Heart of Darkness is extremely loving hard, later areas especially so, and I hope that Dex is planning a death reel to show off what the game is really like when you're not perfectly on your game. Because as he's mentioned there are LOTS of ways to die, and you and death will get very chummy.

Yeah, I had this game as a kid and I died. I died and I died and I died. Then I died some more. I don't remember if I ever finished it, but I definitely remember letting the dog free so I at least came fairly close.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

New Videos!

We fight our way to the heart of the lair, and fall into the Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness Part 5: World 8 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

and because it's been requested a couple of times, here's a death reel:

Heart of Darkness Part 6: Death Reel - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

It's more of a compilation of all the times I messed up rather than a showcase of all the death animations and I'm pretty sure someone offered to post a link to all of those which I'm definitely completely okay with!

oh and if you happen to have a pair of the old red and blue 3D glasses lying around, there's a little extra scene, and the ending in 3D!

Heart of Darkness Bonus: Extra Scene & Ending in 3D - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Thanks to everyone for watching! :)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Well... that certainly was an ending. Okay.

Also death reel song wasn't Bloodhound Gang's "I Hope You Die", thread voted 1, youtube account unfollowed.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Wow, they really didn't know where they were going with that ending... I think it's meant to be like Neverending story or somesuch, where they were in the other world, and then all of a sudden they weren't because the story was over? That would explain why the Amigos appear in that ending at all, kind of like this:

And unbeknownst to our hero, who wasn't entirely sure it was all real or not, the Amigos found his camera and radio really useful (the ship less so). Henchman survived, but he never found gainful employment again, or, indeed, an actual name we could be bothered to give him.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So Heart of Darkness is like some sort of abstract concept of a boy fighting his fear of the dark?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thanks for the LP. You deserve a nap after all that platforming masochism.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!
Yea I remember the ending being disappointing but didn't remember why till now. The shadow swatting thing was a cool setup and felt very dreamlike but that as a final boss was such a let down. I thought it would ramp up to finally fight the dark lord (science teacher's shadow)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, even if they would have kept it still a dream-ish thing, it would be great if battling the shadows would build up into a higher scary fight at the end.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was definitely a let-down. It was setting up for something bigger that just didn't pay off. Oh well. Cool game, though not one I think I could stand playing for longer than ten minutes--never been a big fan of the whole "every hit is instant death" genre of videogames. Fun to watch though. I dunno what you're setting up to LP next, but I look forward to it.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyZfME5XYY

For those with morbid curiosity all death animations.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Noticed the thread title a while ago and just finished marathoning through the updates. It was one of those games I rented several times when I was younger, but could never manage to beat. I even managed to get to the final screen of the Bridge o' Death one time by brute-forcing it after giving up on trying to find a pattern. The final boss was a surprise, really wish I stuck through it a few more times to see it.

If it's one thing I remember best about this game, it's the gorgeous sprite animations. I wish they did more with that than the CGI cutscenes; you can tell where their strength is.

As for people wondering how those of us who played this could manage to play it, it's like JamieTheD said; persistence, thorough experimentation, and a good notebook. There's a reason so many games in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's provided a Notes section in their instruction manuals.

edit:

ares5566 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyZfME5XYY

I can say that I never knew those swimming piranha-shadows could get you on land. The only deaths I knew of for them was when I hosed a jump and got into the water. Never saw the death for the dude who eats your gear either; that one's messed up. :stare:

tlarn fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 17, 2014

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

ares5566 posted:

Holy crap, some of those are brutal. That video made me wince many times in six minutes... particularly the worms, and the flying shadows. Yeesh.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

The game wasn't that hard... I mean you die a lot but you also just respawn right there. As long as you learn from your mistakes you'll be fine. I beat the game when I was 7.

KieranWalker posted:

Holy crap, some of those are brutal. That video made me wince many times in six minutes... particularly the worms, and the flying shadows. Yeesh.

Yeah... A small child having their neck snapped is a bit harsh.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dex01 posted:

New Videos!

We fight our way to the heart of the lair, and fall into the Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness Part 5: World 8 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

and because it's been requested a couple of times, here's a death reel:

Heart of Darkness Part 6: Death Reel - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

It's more of a compilation of all the times I messed up rather than a showcase of all the death animations and I'm pretty sure someone offered to post a link to all of those which I'm definitely completely okay with!

oh and if you happen to have a pair of the old red and blue 3D glasses lying around, there's a little extra scene, and the ending in 3D!

Heart of Darkness Bonus: Extra Scene & Ending in 3D - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Thanks to everyone for watching! :)

And there it is. That goddamned, detestable, skullfuckingly unfair bridge. :suicide:
THAT is the point that I couldn't take anymore, which in retrospect is kind of hilarious considering it's quite literally the end of the game. Ugh.

The awesomely creepy bonus area after it ALMOST makes it worth it, but then the ending kind of shits all over the tense atmosphere they've spent the game building up, and suddenly WHOOPS IT'S TOY STORY, HOO-HOO HEY KIDS! But all told, this game is fantastic for what it is, and worth every bit of effort you put into expertly showcasing it.

Thanks for doing this, Dex. It becomes a lot easier to appreciate this trip down memory lane if it's not making me want to tear my hair out.
Looking forward for whatever you have on deck for next time.

e: Watching the death reel and compilation, I still don't know how the gently caress this game managed to garner an E rating. Someone beefed it big time on that one.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 17, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
With the way Andy goes to sleep before it switches over to the Amigos playing around with his wrecked ship, one could assume it meant he somehow overcame his recurring dark dreams and started having pleasant happy dreams about the Amigos.

But the effect is a bit lost when the amigos are freakier and scarier than the big bad guys.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The ending wasn't great, but was anyone else amused by "AMIGO FACE!" or was that just me?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

And there it is. That goddamned, detestable, skullfuckingly unfair bridge. :suicide:
THAT is the point that I couldn't take anymore, which in retrospect is kind of hilarious considering it's quite literally the end of the game. Ugh.

The awesomely creepy bonus area after it ALMOST makes it worth it, but then the ending kind of shits all over the tense atmosphere they've spent the game building up, and suddenly WHOOPS IT'S TOY STORY, HOO-HOO HEY KIDS! But all told, this game is fantastic for what it is, and worth every bit of effort you put into expertly showcasing it.

Thanks for doing this, Dex. It becomes a lot easier to appreciate this trip down memory lane if it's not making me want to tear my hair out.
Looking forward for whatever you have on deck for next time.

e: Watching the death reel and compilation, I still don't know how the gently caress this game managed to garner an E rating. Someone beefed it big time on that one.

The cliff worms are the worst. Dragged into a hole, all you see are flailing legs until you hear a sickening crunch and they go limp- then they're pulled in with the rest of him. Nightmares.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Difficulty is of course one way to make a short game seem much, much longer.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I like how much work they put into animating Andy's shoe as it falls into the lava and burns up (again, and again, and again, from different distances)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The worst (best) part of the deaths is the sickening sound effects, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really was expecting something more of a final boss than an endurance test.

• Locked thread