Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

Nobody responds to your calls, and the footsteps don't come back. The fog around you keeps swirling in the wind, and the air seems to get a bit colder. It seems that you're going to pursue your new friend on foot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alan Cross

"Tch...dammit, he's not making this easy for us." I pulled my jacket tighter against me as the air chilled. "Looks like we're going after him."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Joke's on him," I answer as I roll my arms and loosen my shoulders. "This is what I do for a living. Hey! Hunter! Get back here!" It looks like we're going to be getting some exercise!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Just don't leave me behind. In school, I was more literature club than track team."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

You run towards the nonexistent footsteps, your shoes kicking up loose bits of asphalt as you move. You're not sure if you're still on Hunter's tail, but you still try to catch up. Something, though, makes you stop momentarily.
You can barely make out through the thick mist a pair of lights. One red, one blue, both spinning in place. A police cruiser? People? Maybe that's where Hunter ended up...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Huff...huff...son of a...where's he going?!" I'm pretty fit, but keeping up with this guy is making me tired! I...is it the fog? How far have we been running?

"Geez...huh?" No way. No freaking way. Am I home again? "Police! Thank god, I though I was completely lost! Hey, Alan, over here! I found a patrol car!" If nothing else, it should have some better maps, a GPS...if Alan's right and he'll need that knife, maybe I can get a shotgun out of the trunk...is Alan right, though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I huffed and wheezed as I tried to keep up with Miss Leila. "A patrol car? Why would there be a car flashing its lights alone out here? ....Could it be to guide people through the fog like a lighthouse?" I shrugged and slowed down as we approached the car. "Hope there's not an officer in there. I've got a couple unpaid speeding tickets, heh."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

You run towards the lights, only to uncover a grisly sight. Like you suspected, the lights are coming from a police car the words Silent Hill Police Department written down the sides, with its lights activated and spinning. The car, however, violently collided with a sign for a place called 'Brookhaven Hospital' to the right of the road. The front of the vehicle has been badly wrecked, and bits of concrete and metal litter the asphalt. The driver's side door hangs loosely off of its hinges, and if you listen closely, you can hear some sort of radio static coming from the car. Odd...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"gently caress. This is bad." It looked like the driver of the car had flown the coop. How odd.

"Maybe if we look in the car, we can find something useful." I crouched down and started investigating the car. When you write mysteries, you tend to get a sense for a scene.

Investigating the wreckage.
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, +-+-+4 = 4
If this counts as a crime scene for my stunt Elementary!, that makes it a 6.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 19, 2014

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Seems like the kinda thing Elementary! would apply to, so sure.
Alan

The accident seems pretty simple. Judging by the skid marks from the tires and the way the car crashed against the Brookhaven sign, the officer driving it saw something in the street and suddenly swerved to avoid it and ended up colliding with the concrete sign. The interior of the car has seen some distress, but nothing too bad. However, in the drivers seat you find something odd. A pistol, with the word Police engraved on the slide, has been left in the seat, along with a handheld police radio that seems to be the source of the annoying static. As you reach to grab the weapon, you see a rather large beetle scurry across the leather seat and climb down to the floor of the car. Your first sign of life in the town, you guess.

Pistol
Simple police-issued handgun. Simple to aim and shoot, but not much stopping power. Can use any Box of Ammo to reload it if necessary.

As you expect the gun, you begin to hear footsteps again. Hunter, again? Though, these don't sound much like footsteps, more like claws against asphalt...
The static from the radio grows stronger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Well, poo poo. Looks like I'm armed to the teeth. Don't report me for not having a permit, okay?"

I was about to stash the pistol, but at that noise, I decided to keep it out. "Hey! Hunter, is that you?!"

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alan

When the words 'Hunter' pass your lips, you hear a low growl, interrupted by the sound of something choking, from the direction of the steps. That's when you see it step out of the fog.
It looks like a diseased dog that's seen better days; it walks with a noticeble limp, and the sounds it makes do not sound healthy; like a canine with breathing problems that struggles to make a noise. Before you can react, it breaks into an effotless run and leaps at you...

[20:56] <Krysmbot> Kuma_Tan, /+/+ = 2

...knocking you down, and sending the gun out of your hands! The dog pins you with it's suprisingly powerful arms and attempts to bite you with its jaws, but always stops close of your face, like it's taunting you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Jesus loving Chris--AAAH!" I didn't even have time to finish my curse before the thing jumped on me. There goes my new toy. This thing was loving playing with me, but it got pretty drat close. Can't even loving get my knife.

"Get this loving thing off of me, Leila!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2-1/3

"Oh my god..." Somehow my detective's nerve failed me; I found myself staring at the scene in some flabbergasted pose, imagining myself at the scene of this accident. I somehow manage enough wherewithal to pick up the radio, but not enough to keep Alan from taking the pistol...or getting attacked by--that thing! It takes the radio blaring a sudden burst of noise to get me out of it.

"Huh?! Oh my god! Alan!" I dive for the fallen pistol, slide check it hurriedly, and take aim. I've done this before, I keep telling myself. Both to dogs and the occasional person...but is that thing a dog?!

"Get away!" I shriek as I squeeze the trigger.

First shot, here we go! Rolling Shoot to attack this...dog!
[19:31:24] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[19:31:24] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, //--+2 = 0
Ew. Rerolling with Headstrong Former Detective.
[19:31:46] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[19:31:47] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +++++2 = 6

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila

Stills from a similar incident you experienced flash before you eyes, and you fire the pistol, trying to avoid shooting Alan. The dog thing visibly reacts to the bullets piercing its thin flesh, recoiling and roaring and pain and getting off Alan to escape. Before it can turn away, you quickly aim and fire at the dog's skull, and it slumps over, dead.
The radio you picked up quickly stops emitting static with an electrical crackle, and seems to turn off.

Radio
Seems to react to...what was that? A monster? It emits static whenever those things are around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I attempted to catch my breath as I laid on the asphalt, cold sweat dripping down my temples. "What in the name of Poirot is going on here?!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"Holy poo poo--I--I don't--you think I know?!" I really am grateful I didn't hit Alan by accident, but the adrenaline's talking right now. I run over and push the dog-monster with the slide end of the pistol. "It's dead. Thank god. But it doesn't look like any loving rabid dog I've ever seen!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I pushed myself up to my feet, brushing my coat off. "It looks like some kinda loving zombie!"

And then I saw the pistol in Leila's hand. "Hey, I found that! No fair! You can keep it, though. You're probably more qualified than I am."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"You have a knife already!" I respond pertly. "If I let you have the gun, what would I do if another one of these things jumps us? Try to hit them with this thing?!" I roll the flashlight in the palm of my hand, emphasizing how small it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I held up my hands in defeat with a wry smile on my face. "Fine, fine, excuse me, Princess." I pulled out the box of ammo I picke dup in the gas station and handed it to Leila. "You're gonna need this, then."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

Despite the situation, I can't help but smile back. "Thanks. You're...taking this pretty well." I grab the box, slide it open, and start reloading the pistol magazine. "Have you been, uh, jumped on by dogs before? Not, uh, rabid dogs, I hope." I don't really think it's rabid, but what other options are there?

"Hang on a second." I slide the pistol away into my jacket, and pull up the radio, tapping the transmit button. This thing was broadcasting static earlier; can it still send? "Hello? Anybody over there?"

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila

There's no response from the radio. Nothing you do on it seems to work. Maybe it just ran out of batteries?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"The gently caress?!" I slide open the battery hatch on the back. "This thing was working just now! You heard it, right, Alan? It can't have gone dead just like that, right?"

Bad bus driver, abandoned gas station, fog everywhere, missing Hunter, zombie dogs...not a great start to my vacation!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Heard it loud and clear. That's messed up."

This'll be a heck of an adventure for Jake.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila

After you re-attatch the battery hatch panel, the radio slowly crackles to life again, before going away as quickly as it came. The speech is heavily disorted and is broken up by bits of static.
"C̷a̸l̶l̶i̷n̵g̸ ̵a̸l̶l̸ ̷-̵,̴ ̸c̶a̸l̴l̸-̸.̴.̶.̷-̵w̸i̵n̵ ̷m̸a̵n̶s̴i̷.̴.̵.̸M̴u̴n̵s̷o̷n̵.̶.̶

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"What the--" I knew the drat radio was working! "Hello? Hello? Come in, respond!"

...I can feel in my guts that this isn't going to work. "Dammit. Did you hear that, Alan? I think they were saying something about Baldwin Mansion..."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Yeah...if we go there, we might find some officers. It'd be nice to find somebody else around here."

I pulled the knife out of my coat pocket and held it at the ready. "Of course, there's no telling what we'll find."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"You mean more zombie dogs?" I motion with my shoulder to the dead creature. "Didn't sound like they were calling for cake and donuts. Let's get going. I don't like leaving cops hanging."

Except when they've been...well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Just keep that gun ready, okay? I don't wanna get jumped again."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

You slowly progress through the empty town, navigating using your map and whatever landmarks you can see through the fog. The only signs that the town is inhabited are the abandoned cars lining the streets; all about five years old, and most rusting. After a long while of walking in the dead town, you come across a T-intersection; according to the sign, it's Munson Street.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Well, here we are. Munson Street. Baldwin Mansion should be nearby."

I decided to call out to look for anybody who might have been transmitting the message. "Hey! Anybody around here?!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

What was I expecting after the gas station and the fricking zombie dog? A welcoming committee? Banners? The cars seem less dated than the gas station's prices, but what the hell rusted them out so quickly? Did a hurricane blow through and flood the place or something?

"Yeah...yeah, I can see that..." I point at the far corner even as I start walking over the intersection. "Maybe they're on the other side there. Hello?! What the hell is with this town?! Can anybody hear me?!"

I wish I had a megaphone...

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Steets of Silent Hill

There's no response to your call. The town remains quiet. The only sound is the police siren from the crashed car down the street...except you're on a different road entirely.
And it's getting louder.
Abruptly, a police cruiser hurtles down Munson, sirens blaring, completely ignoring the two of you standing in the middle of the street. You weren't able to see the driver, or really anything about the car.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"You, uh....think we should follow?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"HEY! We pull people over for that kind of stunt!" I shout as the cruiser passes by. Where the hell is it headed in such a hurry in this blasted town?! "Well...ugh...if nothing else, it's another person. And I'd like to give the driver a piece of my mind!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Jesus, this is messed up. Well, let's go then."

I took a deep breath and started jogging in the direction the car went.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

You run in pursuit of the car, north up Munson street. As you hurry up the road, it begins to lightly rain. Nothing bad, but the asphalt is starting to get slick. The air gets colder and colder by the second.
After what seems like a long while of jogging, you come across a police roadblock, blocking the road with barricades and broken yellow tape lying on the ground. A little bit beyond it, you can see two more cruisers parked in the middle of the road.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 4, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 1/3

"GET BACK HERE YOU STUPID F--oh..." My pace slows and stops as I come across the barricades and the familiar "POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS" luminescent tape. I know an incident scene when I see one. "I...uh...guess this is why they were going so fast. Right, I know how this works, let's check it out."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I knelt down and placed my chin in my hand. "Have we even seen any non-police cars?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Munson Street

The street beyond the area features a semi-circle of police cruisers, plus the one you saw blazing ahead of you parked directly in front of an antiquated looking house. The door of it is hanging open loosely.
As you step over the broken police tape, you notice that the radio has begun picking up faint static again.

• Locked thread