Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

In MW2: Mercenaries, you can take a mission to steal a Kodiak from the Clans for the Draconis Combine's ISF. At the end of the mission, you can chose to blow up their DropShip (killing hundreds of ISF Ninjas) and run to your own hidden DropShip and steal the Kodiak for yourself.

And the Draconis Combine can't say a thing about it since it was a mission they gave you "off the books," and retaliating would put them in huge trouble with the Mercenary Review & Bonding Commission.

SOLD. Gonna trawl Ebay for a copy now. Still wishing that there were more stompy robot games on GoG, that would help alleviate the pain of not having stompy robots in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

In MW2: Mercenaries, you can take a mission to steal a Kodiak from the Clans for the Draconis Combine's ISF. At the end of the mission, you can chose to blow up their DropShip (killing hundreds of ISF Ninjas) and run to your own hidden DropShip and steal the Kodiak for yourself.

And the Draconis Combine can't say a thing about it since it was a mission they gave you "off the books," and retaliating would put them in huge trouble with the Mercenary Review & Bonding Commission.

More generally, it's content is loving rad. it's set between 3047 and 3052, which means you spend the first act basically playing both sides of what looks like the beginning of a war between the FC and DC against the other and fighting pirates for the FRR. One Rasalhague mission has you fight on the surface of a giant comet bound for a water-poor world to save it from water thieves.
Then you take a pirate-hunting mission from the FRR which abruptly ends when you get buttfucked by a heavy star and have to escape in a Savannah Master from clan jail. From that point it is game on. You get to gear up in 3050 tech, salvage Clan gear, and basically do everything else that gets you ready for giving it back to the Clans, climaxing in the Battle of Luthien.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They also managed to jam a ton of flavor into it with pretty minimal resources. Your out of mech interface is an office on Outreach. You've got blurbs from in character diaries, news posts, and such both before and after each mission. You can chose which missions to take and there's a nice variety so you can replay it multiple times. It's just a super super solid project overall.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I also think MW2:merc had the most variety of mechs in a mechwarrior game.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually have the free release of Mechwarrior 4: Mercs currently installed on my laptop, but whenever I try to change my mech's camouflage, the mech in-mission remains default grey. Could this be a video card issue, or just something wrong with the installation?

edit: Also, the Annihilator is easily the most overpowered piece of poo poo to use in MW3 and the MekTek Mekpaks. Those loving autocannons, especially when you first fight one while infiltrating the clan base in 3.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
MW2: Mercs also had the best implementations of mission objectives (Destroy the third floor of the IS Bank Building.) and the best rendition of Solaris. You fight inside a massive skull for your last Solaris' fight.

Your actions had limited impact on missions as well; fail to complete a mission and you'd get other missions instead. One of your first campaigns it to put down a rebellion on a FedCom planet. Screw up one of the later missions and you end up winning the war for the rebels. Another mission has you finding a hidden Star League cache and claiming it for yourself (however the patch that introduced dynamic salvage bugged that mission out so you didn't get the reward). Finally, if you completely hosed up the mission set where you're stuck on a comet delivering water to a desert planet, you end up dying when the air runs out because you lost the engines.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I really should give MW2:Mercs another spin; the last time I tried I remember giving up because I was having trouble setting up my controls properly.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i've got the mechwarrior 2: titanium trilogy i want to get rid off, if anyone wants them.
aka win95 16bit graphics versions of all 3 mechwarrior 2 titles, requires mechvm or old hardware/software to run properly.
titanium releases will not run in dos.

just pm me with your name & address.
captain rufus can verify i'm legit, regarding shipping things or abusing addresses.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 17, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I just got MW: Living Legends working so I figured I'd drop some links while I was at it.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,19022.0.html

Download this for the game and the assets. Everything it needs to run is included with the the exception of DirectX.

Then read this: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?topic=20422.0

Note you must start notepad as an admin to do this and your password must be qtracker for this to work.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Wake up thread, I have a question. MW3 and the Pirate's Moon expansion are on Ebay for like 23 bucks, is the expansion good or should I just grab the base game for like half the price?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If I remember right you can't even get MW3 working (well, anyways) on a version of Windows past ME.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PoptartsNinja posted:

Was this mission bugged? I'd try to return the mech sometimes and it would immediately fail the mission and I wouldn't even get my paycheck. The only way to beat it was to go with the Hanson Roughriders. Which is the correct choice, of course. But still

Edit: Man the mission where you were set up to intercept some retreating mechs and one of them contacts you saying he's willing to turn on his lance if you give him the signal. Every drat mission in that game had more flavor than entire games have now.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

Was this mission bugged? I'd try to return the mech sometimes and it would immediately fail the mission and I wouldn't even get my paycheck. The only way to beat it was to go with the Hanson Roughriders. Which is the correct choice, of course. But still

You don't get a paycheck. You get the Mech.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Party Plane Jones posted:

You don't get a paycheck. You get the Mech.

Right but supposedly you could choose between returning the mech for the paycheck or taking the mech. If you went back to the original dropship it'd say you failed and you'd get nothing. :saddowns:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously the Draconis Combine operatives decided you were a liability and killed you after getting what they wanted :v:.

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right you can't even get MW3 working (well, anyways) on a version of Windows past ME.

Well, poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

MW3, last time I tried it on 7, had bouncing tanks. While it was hilarious, my 'mech could also explode randomly which was less hilarious. I never could get the game working properly, MW2 Titanium ran better than MW3.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I loved Mechcommander. It looked great, had the mechs I grew to love from MW2 with most of the customization, and it had the unit management of an RTS without the base building aspect that I was so awful at when I was a kid. The pilots were cool too (Except Ronin -- gently caress your lovely voice acting). I loved the multiplayer, but getting it to work was such a bitch. Aside from the long loadout phase (which I don't think had saved presets or a timer) sometimes the game would just lock up or crash, and if anyone's client froze, everyone's client froze. I remember spending hours just trying to play a few rounds.

I never really got into the second one, namely because my family never bought it. It was in that awkward early 2000s stage where 3D graphics still looked like poo poo compared to 2D graphics, so I wasn't too keen on getting it either.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mr E posted:

MW3, last time I tried it on 7, had bouncing tanks. While it was hilarious, my 'mech could also explode randomly which was less hilarious. I never could get the game working properly, MW2 Titanium ran better than MW3.

I had this, wonky physics is mostly solved via a CPU grabber- set it to 85-90%, fire up the game, APC's no longer bounce. Worked for MW3 for me, yet to try with the expansion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCdXcLKyaI

While finding solutions, I also found you can alter the resolution by setting it to run in software mode, then changing the registry- http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=2136

Note all of this was in a VMware install with WinXP, mostly using these instructions to get the game, patch and launcher- http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/13583-playing-mechwarrior-3-at-the-moment-to-pass-the-time/page__st__40__p__803987#entry803987

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Necc0 posted:

Edit: Man the mission where you were set up to intercept some retreating mechs and one of them contacts you saying he's willing to turn on his lance if you give him the signal. Every drat mission in that game had more flavor than entire games have now.

I've successfully returned it, so you may very well have bumped into a bug.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

I had this, wonky physics is mostly solved via a CPU grabber- set it to 85-90%, fire up the game, APC's no longer bounce. Worked for MW3 for me, yet to try with the expansion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCdXcLKyaI

While finding solutions, I also found you can alter the resolution by setting it to run in software mode, then changing the registry- http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=2136

Note all of this was in a VMware install with WinXP, mostly using these instructions to get the game, patch and launcher- http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/13583-playing-mechwarrior-3-at-the-moment-to-pass-the-time/page__st__40__p__803987#entry803987
Will CPU grabbing solve the HUD flicker? Also, the mechwarrior3.org link doesn't work for me :(

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Yeah, I know for a fact you could return the Kodiak to the Draconis Combine but your big reward for that was a few thousand C-Bills and a Masakari. Granted it was a decent mech, but yeah I'll take the 100 ton totem mech, please.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

PBJ posted:

edit: Also, the Annihilator is easily the most overpowered piece of poo poo to use in MW3 and the MekTek Mekpaks. Those loving autocannons, especially when you first fight one while infiltrating the clan base in 3.

Ah yes, "I'm dancing with an Annihilator here!" How many times did you turn that corner and get insta-killed? After so many times I decided I must have it for myself, cue up about a dozen more tries of the mission until I leg it and claim it as salvage. It's not really overpowered in 3 but it is very powerful.
In 4 it's possibly overpowered as it has more CT armor than anything else thanks to its "special" armor section (used for things like missile pods on Mad Cats, the Marauder's gun, etc.) is actually a "Glacis plate" protecting its CT. This makes sense, since it's a city defense 'mech, which is also its big downside. I say it's not really broken in 4 as there are plenty of missions you simply can't win in an Annihilator since you can't get it going fast enough. It does let you crap all over Solaris, though. 4x Clan LB-X20 Autocannons will ruin anything in one shot. Knocking down Daishis is fun!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zeether posted:

Will CPU grabbing solve the HUD flicker? Also, the mechwarrior3.org link doesn't work for me :(

poo poo, it's dead for me now I've checked it again. Can't remember the instructions of the top of my head either... :eng99:

HUD flicker I'm not sure on, closest problem I had was when I tried using hardware graphics, which it did not like at all. Software or bust.

While we're talking Annihilators...

Walking fortification, for negotiable values of 'walking'

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Yeah, I know for a fact you could return the Kodiak to the Draconis Combine but your big reward for that was a few thousand C-Bills and a Masakari. Granted it was a decent mech, but yeah I'll take the 100 ton totem mech, please.

God damnit. That was my favorite mech and I was bummed that the only way to get one was to capture Dietr Osis alive :mad:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

poo poo, it's dead for me now I've checked it again. Can't remember the instructions of the top of my head either... :eng99:

HUD flicker I'm not sure on, closest problem I had was when I tried using hardware graphics, which it did not like at all. Software or bust.
Thanks for the tip on the HUD stuff, sucks that the Mech3 site is dead though. Looking at Google it sounds like someone couldn't pay the server bills and now it's gone :negative:

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Paingod556 posted:

Pft, you can get four LB-20X's on that thing. You move slow as molasses going up a tree in January, but it's enough to 1-hit kill even some heavy mechs.

Edit: I have also come to believe that the best loadout in the game is as many Clan Ultra AC-2's as you can cram onto the mech.

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 22, 2014

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Karl Rove posted:

Pft, you can get four LB-20X's on that thing. You move slow as molasses going up a tree in January, but it's enough to 1-hit kill even some heavy mechs.

Edit: I have also come to believe that the best loadout in the game is as many Clan Ultra AC-2's as you can cram onto the mech.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mechwarrior: Living Legends download info.
==================================
MW:LL 0.71 combined installer (crysis wars 1.5 trial included)

gamespy server redirection fix...(gamespy matchmaking servers are shutdown & crysis wars is hardcoded to use gamespy)
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20422.msg351882.html

Currently suggesting a LL meetup for 10/13 or 10/14/2014 9pm CST.
I'm suggesting a date sometime next week, because it'll give people more time to download & install MW:LL
i'm not offering any mumble info, because i'm a mumble holdout.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is Earthsiege 2 still VM only if you're running a 64 bit Windows?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I found this alternate 32-bit installer that says it would work on Windows 7 x64: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#ESXP

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

not sure to be honest.
i don't have a physical copy of earthsiege 2.
and i can't find anything on pcgamingwiki.com for it besides it's release date(1996).
definitely appears to be a windows only game, no DOS version.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I found out why Mech3.org died via Reddit:

quote:

For those of you who have been wondering about what has happened to our MechWarrior3.org site, it saddens me to relay, that Dawg_Pack, the owner of the site, has passed away. He had kept the site and community going for all of these years and will be dearly missed. AncientxFreako has started a new site, in his honor, to keep us together. If you were part of the community, please join us at our new home, MechWarriors United at http://mechwarriorsunited.freeforums.net/ RIP Dawg_Pack, you may have been lost to the Periphery, but you will NEVER be forgotten!

:( Pretty sad news, but at least the new forum may have the stuff from Mech3.org on it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeether posted:

So I found out why Mech3.org died via Reddit:

:( Pretty sad news, but at least the new forum may have the stuff from Mech3.org on it.

ouch. sad news indeed.
mech2.org went down for a while a few weeks ago too.
bad vibes all around.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paingod556 posted:

You can fit 4 lbx 20s in that thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wargames posted:

You can fit 4 lbx 20s in that thing.

Yeah, but not doing so might almost let you get in range to use them.

I still love my 9x SRM4 Black Lanner. It's really drat fast and makes medium mechs do flips when you nail them with all that. It also has a fast 360 degree torso twist so you aren't safe even if you sneak up behind me. Streak version is a little easier to use but standard srms cause a lot of heat in the target and fire a good bit faster.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 10, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

Mechwarrior: Living Legends download info.
MW:LL 0.71 combined installer (crysis wars 1.5 trial included)

gamespy server redirection fix...(gamespy matchmaking servers are shutdown & crysis wars is hardcoded to use gamespy)
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20422.msg351882.html

Currently suggesting a LL meetup for 10/13 or 10/14/2014 9pm CST.
I'm suggesting a date sometime next week, because it'll give people more time to download & install MW:LL
i'm not offering any mumble info, because i'm a mumble holdout.

I'd love to do a LL meetup, and I can try for those days/times but I would really appreciate it if there could be another one for next weekend, the 18th/19th as well. Since I have to not stay up super late mondays and tuesdays for class.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone else having trouble getting the mousewheel working in MW4 Mercs under Windows 8?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shoeless posted:

I'd love to do a LL meetup, and I can try for those days/times but I would really appreciate it if there could be another one for next weekend, the 18th/19th as well. Since I have to not stay up super late mondays and tuesdays for class.

suggest a better time/date.
i threw those dates out there at random.....mainly because the only mmo i occasionally play(the secret world), is having a special event this weekend.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night10194 posted:

Well, it's A: A similar sort of walking tank sim and B: loving Awesome. I never got a shot at Earthsiege 1, only Earthsiege 2, and I still have fond memories of flying the Razor and running around loving up dudes' feet to salvage them in the HERCs.

Earthsiege also lead to Starsiege which lead to Tribes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

suggest a better time/date.
i threw those dates out there at random.....mainly because the only mmo i occasionally play(the secret world), is having a special event this weekend.

I did, the 18th/19th. Times... Well I have the weekends entirely free so I'd go for something mid-afternoon, say 3 PM CST. But 9 PM works.

• Locked thread