Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rocksicles posted:

Am i the only one watching this for the history and awesome Scottishness?
Well I would be if they had any kind of normal season scheduled

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, i just spy them off the port bow. Easy pickings.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Outlander: Verra bonny Scots and a braw Sassenach

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

hollylolly posted:

Ok, thanks - I knew Braveheart was not this rebellion but I couldn't think of something better. :)

My last reply came off a little arrogant and condescending, so let me apologize. But if you haven't seen Rob Roy, I do highly recommend it. Especially if you like Outlander.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Am i the only one watching this for the history and awesome Scottishness?

I'm in this boat. Based on my time reading the book, the actual love story that's central to the plot holds no interest for me, but I love the setting, the history, and the secondary characters, so that's what I'm here for.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

3Romeo posted:

My last reply came off a little arrogant and condescending, so let me apologize. But if you haven't seen Rob Roy, I do highly recommend it. Especially if you like Outlander.

Oh, no worries. :) I actually have not seen Rob Roy so yeah, I probably should. Wasn't Liam Neeson in it?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hollylolly posted:

Oh, no worries. :) I actually have not seen Rob Roy so yeah, I probably should. Wasn't Liam Neeson in it?

There is a sword fight in the movie that is pretty well regarded as one of the best fight scene ever.

and Tim Roth.... more than enough reason to watch it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They were filming some of this at Carlisle castle near where I live. The castle and city were much involved in 1745 civil war. Not sure how that will fit into the first season though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm in this boat. Based on my time reading the book, the actual love story that's central to the plot holds no interest for me, but I love the setting, the history, and the secondary characters, so that's what I'm here for.

I read some of the future book synopses and...well I hope the showrunners go to their own direction with this.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
First scene of the second half of season 1 is up today:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/26/watch-the-first-scene-of-the-next-outlander/

I binged through the first 8 episodes this weekend and I'm loving it! I read the first book 10-11 years ago so I'd forgotten a few details, but the whole cast & crew is doing a fantastic job bringing these characters from page to screen. It's one of my favorite series and I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of season 1 and all of season 2. There's certainly no shortage of material after the first book so the series could go for a while!

A few thoughts:
--Tobias Menzies is a standout as Frank/Black Jack, especially with the alternating 1945/1743 scenes. It's really jarring. I will be sad to see him go.
--Jamie and Claire are 24 and 27, respectively, while the actors are both in their mid-30's. I wonder if this is deliberate, to make the time jump in later seasons a bit more believable?
--I don't remember Roger being in the first book, so I was pleasantly surprised to see him (even if he is just a kid.)
--Geillis Duncan: still trouble! Her arc is one I'm particularly looking forward to.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The Season 1 Volume 1 Blu-Rays came out today. I don't like it when seasons are sold in two parts.

OTOH, on the official Facebook page there are a lot of women posting that they bought the blu-rats even though they don't own a blu-ray players, so I have a feeling this is going to make Starz a shitload of money!

edit:
A behind the scenes look at how they shot the promo image for the show - it's not photoshop!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 6, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

About that time. Should probably rewatch a bit so I'm not totally lost.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I cannot flippin wait. The backhalf of the season is filled with tons of awesome (and messed up) poo poo.

All the first episodes are on demand if anyone wants to rewatch them.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Got turned on to this show by a blog and thought you guys might like to read their breakdown: http://tomandlorenzo.com/2015/03/how-outlander-finally-won-us-over/.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 5, 2015

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just binged through the first eight episodes on Amazon, and this show is great. It's also the most feminine historical fiction I've ever watched, especially the wedding night scene, but also when they're doing the dyeing, or when the maid saw the bra!

In a weird way it reminds me of orange is the new black.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Outlander is back tonight! :siren:

s01e09 The Reckoning

Jamie and the Highlanders rescue Claire from Black Jack Randall.

:neckbeard:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wow, that sex scene. I really enjoyed the "pillow talk" afterwards, it seemed very real as opposed to a washed down TV version. Plus it helps that those two have so much chemistry off camera of course.

They're really playing up the Laoghaire stuff moreso than in the book. Though, having this episode from Jamie's perspective may be the reason. I suspect it's to make something what happens more clear in the future.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That was some Fifty Shades poo poo with the uh whipping. :stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was pretty romantic domestic violence, if there is such a thing. Mind you it is Scotland.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Strange, tonight's episode is already available for me through my cable's OnDemand. Certainly not complaining as I just got to watch it early! Everyone might want to check. I have no idea if this is a normal thing.

I have Bright House cable, if that matters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Strange, tonight's episode is already available for me through my cable's OnDemand. Certainly not complaining as I just got to watch it early! Everyone might want to check. I have no idea if this is a normal thing.

I have Bright House cable, if that matters.

Starz episodes are basically available the day of broadcast. You don't need to wait for broadcast times. Black Sails has the same thing going on.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

It seems to be a well researched series. Like others have mentioned I enjoy this period of history. So is the consensus that the books are worth reading ?

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

The books are much better in my opinion. I feel this is the case for almost all book to TV or big screen conversions.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yeah, if you like the show at least a little, you'll love the books. They're a little less campy/dramatastic in some ways. Like, I rolled my eyes at the Geillis dancing around naked thing in tonight's episode (just over the top to see rather than read), and I don't remember the confrontations being so dramatic between Claire and Laoghaire. Things are more subtle in the books.

Liked tonight's episode though. Duke of Sandringham's character is funny as poo poo on TV.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

More stuff like the Duke and less petty bullshit about jealous scullery maids sounds alright

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
This was a pretty cool episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nearly every insufferable idiot in the show showed up for that "trial"

Ned, Jamie and the rest of the episode was nice

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 19, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I feel like they're really whipping through the story and missing out on some character development, especially this half of the season. (Though, I may just be feeling that because I'm a book reader, I dunno.)

That weird fingering scene seemed really forced. Not in the gratuitous tits way, since it was actually intimate and no tits. But it felt unnecessary and kind of awkward to me.

An the voice overs were back, ugh. Those wouldn't be necessary if they just took their time telling the story.

It was in the preview, but spoiler anyway I'm excited about finally meeting Jenny next episode!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I can't believe she stayed! Does that mean the 1940's timeline plot is over and she's going to help the Scottish rebellion. I hope not, the parallels between Frank and Black Jack were amazing. Makes me wonder what he really did during the war.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was a great use of the word 'loving' as a crucial plot reveal. Claire should have immediately picked up on that after explaining what the word meant just a while ago. I hope this is not the end for Geillis, it seemed the judges were trying to restrain the angry mob from burning a pregnant woman. Even one who confessed to being a witch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That was an amazing episode, amazing past two episodes really.

Moving really fast, I like it, I didn't expect her to reveal everything to Jaimie until... well... ever.
Geillis is amazing... Oh God, I hope she survives.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Book readers: What chances do you think we have of reaching the end of book one by the end of the season? My wife read the books, and doesn't think it's all that likely they can cover all the material left in the book with the time we have left.

I mainly ask because there are 8 long books (so far), and if we can't even cover a book in one season, I worry about their plans to have a show last for 20 years or something, and the show will eventually just unceremoniously stop mid story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I for one like the fact it's not hour after hour of romanstabation.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

thrawn527 posted:

Book readers: What chances do you think we have of reaching the end of book one by the end of the season? My wife read the books, and doesn't think it's all that likely they can cover all the material left in the book with the time we have left.

I mainly ask because there are 8 long books (so far), and if we can't even cover a book in one season, I worry about their plans to have a show last for 20 years or something, and the show will eventually just unceremoniously stop mid story.

I disagree with your wife, I think they're clipping along pretty quickly. The trial was kind of the main middle crescendo of the book, and then there's a big rear end thing that happens at the end that will likely be the series finale , spread out over a couple episodes. (They may do that cliffhanger thing, and that I guess would leave the very end of the 1st book for next season, I suppose.) I've also read somewhere that they plan to finish book 1 this season, I believe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I for one like the fact it's not hour after hour of romanstabation.

I kept expecting the show to cut to Frank just sitting by himself in a windowless room, staring off into space after watching his wife asking her side dude to stick it inside her.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yeah, it's a little strange that they seemed to have dropped Frank scenes altogether when they had a bunch before the mid season break. Especially since Claire deciding to stay or go last episode seemed like a great place to insert them, if they were going to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yeah, it's a little strange that they seemed to have dropped Frank scenes altogether when they had a bunch before the mid season break. Especially since Claire deciding to stay or go last episode seemed like a great place to insert them, if they were going to.

That episode right before the mid season was the only episode, besides the pilot, that had Frank episodes though, wasn't it? Generally speaking, the rule is no Frank scenes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

thrawn527 posted:

That episode right before the mid season was the only episode, besides the pilot, that had Frank episodes though, wasn't it? Generally speaking, the rule is no Frank scenes.

True, but then why show him looking for her (and getting scammed/accosted) at all then? If that's not going to be some kind of plotline, then why bother at all.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Well in the book there are no Frank scenes of what he is doing in the 1940's so to me it makes sense that after Claire's decided to stay with Jamie we get away from that. The scene where Frank talks to the woman in the bar and then goes out in the alley only to be attacked really bothered me. Not anywhere close to the book and I'm guessing trying to keep the tie to Frank fresh for when Claire tries to return but to me Frank never seemed THAT in love with Claire.
I was catching my friend (who has also read the books) up to the mid season finale tonight and both of us feel that it was the worst episode of the first half. We are long time fans of the books so that is likely why- the show differs greatly from the book in this episode in particular. We also feel that the first half of the season moves really slow for how much they have to pack into the last 7 episodes of the season (which is really the best part of the book).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Peppercat posted:

Well in the book there are no Frank scenes of what he is doing in the 1940's so to me it makes sense that after Claire's decided to stay with Jamie we get away from that. The scene where Frank talks to the woman in the bar and then goes out in the alley only to be attacked really bothered me. Not anywhere close to the book and I'm guessing trying to keep the tie to Frank fresh for when Claire tries to return but to me Frank never seemed THAT in love with Claire.
I was catching my friend (who has also read the books) up to the mid season finale tonight and both of us feel that it was the worst episode of the first half. We are long time fans of the books so that is likely why- the show differs greatly from the book in this episode in particular. We also feel that the first half of the season moves really slow for how much they have to pack into the last 7 episodes of the season (which is really the best part of the book).

The show deviates somewhat from the books, yeah, but then again toning things down like getting it on directly after almost being raped might be a good idea lol The Frank stuff in the show is dumb and they shouldn't have shown the weird Frank gets attacked scene if they weren't going to continue that new plotline.

Perhaps they will extend into the second season for the first book. I suspect that they will condense more and some character development will suffer as a result. That's pretty hard to judge as a book reader, though.

• Locked thread