Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've also had success with agile though. hth op, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've had success with working with smart people doing their drat job

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Management posted:

I've had success with working with smart people doing their drat job

hmmm coincidentally that's where i too have experienced success :iiam:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

we do a standup every morning where we talk about what we did and unless you feel fine straight up lying and assuming no one will check, it is plenty of motivation not to dick around

unless everyone knows what the hell you do, you can usually get away with being pretty vague. i usually just say "i kept working on X thing" where X is what i'm supposed to be doing, 95% of the people in the meeting don't know or care about the details so the only question they ask is "when do you think you'll be done?"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

unless everyone knows what the hell you do, you can usually get away with being pretty vague. i usually just say "i kept working on X thing" where X is what i'm supposed to be doing, 95% of the people in the meeting don't know or care about the details so the only question they ask is "when do you think you'll be done?"

and the answer is always "tomorrow"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

rotor posted:

my advice is to use XP. If you don't want to do XP, scrum is ok and if you Just Use Hours On Your Estimate For Fucks Sake you probably won't annoy people too much and you might actually ship something at some point.

no no lets use points

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i worked for some hardcore agile preachers 6 months ago and i already cant remember what a point was

the mythical man point

poty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
we use this http://www.versionone.com/ and you know it's developed using their particular flavor of agile because it's loving terrible in every single way it could possibly be terrible, like, if you develop this poo poo, kill urself. tyia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flattening lovely horse trading from the executive level down to ICs is real business process innovation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

poty posted:

i worked for some hardcore agile preachers 6 months ago and i already cant remember what a point was

the mythical man point

i can explain it but I'll need a whiteboard and an hour and when I'm done everyone will understand but will just keep an hours<->points map in their heads because that's just how people work.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

flattening lovely horse trading from the executive level down to ICs is real business process innovation

this is actually true though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Winkle-Daddy posted:

we use this http://www.versionone.com/ and you know it's developed using their particular flavor of agile because it's loving terrible in every single way it could possibly be terrible, like, if you develop this poo poo, kill urself. tyia
we had a team here that decided to use version one except they only budgeted for licenses for developers, not product, ux or QA :downs:

rotor posted:

this is actually true though
the disconnect is when managers don't show up to scrum meetings then freak out when people made a decision without them, frequently with the effect that all the planning gets upended because BS Pet Feature X got pushed back a few sprints

• Locked thread