Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
when do you think information pollution will start, if ever?
it has already started
it has already started but it will really get going later on
the year one million, exactly
View Results

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silver Alicorn posted:

in the past banks etc. had to devote entire storeys of office buildings to storing punched cards, until IBM finally made a computer that could use magnetic tape (there was a UNIVAC and a couple other brands but nobody wanted to buy them because they weren't IBM)

remember when a building burned down in the 70s and 15 million army personnel files went with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I wasnt' alive in the 70s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i almost was alive

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

same i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like my dad hadnt yet creamed into my mum but only a year away its close enough

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a magical moment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh they tell me it was in hanmer springs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

South Islanders and. those springs :rolleye:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

u know what to do, yospos. show some repsect for a veteran of foreign posts

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

South Islanders and. those springs :rolleye:

hanmer spring s is ok when popo grows a bit i wouldnt mind being THE pharmacist there. sell a boner drug. you know how it goes

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
we will enact the clean bits act to cleanse the information pollution from our airways

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
good replies, guys. i read all of them this morning

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

currently a lot of storage capacity is occupied by caches and backups. duplicates of the same files. you can archive these files by deleting most copies and storing it safely. it frees up storage capacity used by backups so you can make new content, but at the cost of accessibility to that old stuff.

you can also make highly specific encryption for any huge data type. like genomes and blockchains.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
we need to do more research on holography and storage so we can design algorithms that can figure out how to store groups of data redundantly in a compact area and can quickly be uncompressed

each data fractal should be stored in at least two locations that are far apart from each other. even if one data fractal is damaged, the information can likely be retrieved because of the algorithm of redundancy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
OP, how high are you right now/when you wrote this?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

infernal machines posted:

OP, how high are you right now/when you wrote this?

not at all. it all came from my imagination

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

it'll be dictated on how much corporations are willing to spend on storage. the us part of my company has like 20 terabytes to share and it is constantly on the verge of filling up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cat Face Joe posted:

it'll be dictated on how much corporations are willing to spend on storage. the us part of my company has like 20 terabytes to share and it is constantly on the verge of filling up

how much of that is real use vs margaret from hr emailing 20mb bmps of her cat to fifty people every other day?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
steven hawkins proved that information can't be destroyed except in a black hole, so if u think about it the universe itself is storing everything for free already

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

steven hawkins proved that information can't be destroyed except in a black hole, so if u think about it the universe itself is storing everything for free already

someday data recovery will be so advanced it will use time travel to reveal all the horrible things you've done throughout your life

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Sweevo posted:

how much of that is real use vs margaret from hr emailing 20mb bmps of her cat to fifty people every other day?

the vast majority is duplicate files (like 30 copies of the same 20 meg presentation) and the entire careers of people who haven't worked here in years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sweevo posted:

one interesting thing that apple's doing is putting all attachments on a server somewhere and just giving you a link to download it when you send your email

it definitely cuts down on redundancies, and i think after like 2 months it gets deleted anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweevo posted:

most mail servers have attachment consolidation so its just the 20mb bmps stored once. people store a shitload of legit work garbage in their email you have no idea.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
posting cap & trade

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

most mail servers have attachment consolidation so its just the 20mb bmps stored once. people store a shitload of legit work garbage in their email you have no idea.

this. my friend is a small company's only cj and he says that almost everyone works entirely out of their email and no one saves anything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

:supaburn: WHERE ARE MY FILES!!!! I WAS STORING THEM SAFELY IN THE DELETED ITEMS FOLDER AND NOW THEY ARE GONE!!!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

this. my friend is a small company's only cj and he says that almost everyone works entirely out of their email and no one saves anything

lol if you and everyone you work with doesnt do this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the cjs where i work sent out an email a month or two ago saying the mail database files are getting too big and pleaded with everyone to please clean out their inboxes, but they refuse to give a hard limit/quota on how much should be kept in inboxes because im sure that would anger all the middle managers with 50 GB inboxes full of powerpoint attachments

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

like my dad hadnt yet creamed into my mum but only a year away its close enough

your dad polluted your mom with his genetic information

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

mishaq posted:

the cjs where i work sent out an email a month or two ago saying the mail database files are getting too big and pleaded with everyone to please clean out their inboxes, but they refuse to give a hard limit/quota on how much should be kept in inboxes because im sure that would anger all the middle managers with 50 GB inboxes full of powerpoint attachments

which is probably an okay decision because that will get them to possibly clear out an ample amount of space and it might take a lot of time to fill up again, and by then you'll have more space because the arrow of time always gives us more storage in the future

except when pollution happens

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

all heterosexual intercourse is rape HTH

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

power botton posted:

that does help, thanks

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

power botton posted:

what about butt stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it started in 1970 when alvin toffler wrote "Future Shock" (Random House, 1970, 0-394-42586-3), op

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Johnny Mnemonic: Yeah, the Black Shakes. What causes it?
Spider: What causes it?
[points to various pieces of equipment throughout the room]
Spider: This causes it! This causes it! This causes it! Information overload! All the electronics around you poisoning the airwaves. Technological loving civilization. But we still have all this poo poo, because we can't live without it. Let me do my work.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
when information pollution is fully polluting the earth, everything will be covered in metal and full of tiny servers. you will walk and drive through these all the time and forests will need to be build on top of them so we can still breath. there's plankton too but the forest will make the air more oxygenated and fresh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serious post: it started with the first unwanted transmission

Yospost: its u lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
h.l. mencken used to get dozens of letters a day from his fans and replied to all of them. usually he'd get them out the same day (used to be standard to have two mail pickups a day). he got a telephone at one point and hated it so much for constantly interrupting him when he was writing that he said he wished that alexander graham bell had been run over by an ice wagon at the age of four

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and let's not forget the person from porlock who ruined coleridge's magnum opus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

someday data recovery will be so advanced it will use time travel to reveal all the horrible things you've done throughout your life

this poo poo gives me the heebie jeebies

• Locked thread