Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
For other people more knowledgeable than I, is anyone able to explain why my mars missiles decided to do nothing for 20 minutes or so? The range on them is long enough that they should reach Neptune and in my tech test game there was no issue getting to mars.

ultrabindu posted:

I hope our version of Space Africans is better than other depictions of Space Africans

I love it!

More seriously, I guess they would wear whatever is fashionable. Similar to the rest of the world. Some people would definitely wear native/traditional garb but I don't see the 3 piece suit and women's business wear going out of fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Current Results:

Question 1

A: 0
B: 3
C: 3

Question 2

C: 1
D: 2

Question 3

T: 3
F: 3

I will be closing the vote in the next 2 hours

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
CBT

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
VOTING OVER

Question 1

C: 4

Question 2

B: 4
C: 1
D: 2

Question 3

T: 4
F: 3

Excellent, we are calling for a tech sharing deal, sending aid to the URCC for cheap licenses and we are getting a massive tech boost.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Excerpts from: A Mandate to Legislate
By Lungile Mabuza
2064-May-17th to 2067-December-7th

We had the best intentions but Australasia played us.

The Nigerian League was baying for blood. The Muslim Union and the Christian Front were in agreement on forming a coalition, so hell had frozen over. In an Assembly of the African Union my administration was lambasted as ineffectual. Worst of all, my popularity was at an all-time low. In effect I was forced by circumstance to make hasty decisions.

The Australasia First Party offered a sweetheart deal and I took it. Licenses to all the new Trans-Newtonian technologies and we push the industry payment issue. The Chinese took it poorly, a little worse than we had hoped. Still, the Australasian’s were good to their word and what’s more they gave us a doorway to repairing the relations with the old Charter Colonies. We promised two years of aid, 30 brand new Construction Facilities.

And it all seemed to work in out in our favour. The brand new Discovery Program had teething issues. Five Discovery Rockets exploded within 30 minutes of being launched. Mistakes with the old ICBM launching mechanism according to the Australasian Space Agency.

[…]

A day after the first reports of TN Elements discovered on Mars was announced the Security Council met to discuss a Free Tech agreement at my behest. The Australasian’s made 0 demands, and even acquiesced to Chinese demands on returning Chinese research labs to Chinese soil. The URCC made good on a promise to not interfere and we got our free tech agreement, effectively nullifying the Chinese and our own tech delays.

I could believe how effective this treaty was until in July when we managed to agree on a plan moving forward. The Australasian government was concerned with possible future colonization of Mars and wanted Andrews entirely on experimental cryogenic research. The Chinese took over work on improving the Nuclear Thermal Engine and we were tasked with something that has ended up being extremely important.

Despite work on the Discovery Program we weren’t finding many planets as fertile as Earth in terms of minerals, in particular we couldn’t find any Corundium outside of earth. This was vital for producing mines. Ergo, even if the solar system was plentiful in every other mineral we couldn’t it with more than our existing stock of mines. Planets like Mars and Venus had enormous quantities of minerals, but access to them was almost non-existent. To mine as much as we do on Earth as we did on Venus would take an order of magnitude more mines. In fact, we were looking at a resource crisis in the next 50 years. Corundium price per ton was starting to overtake gold.

And that brings me to Jump Point technology. A consortium of African scientists convinced the various governments of the UN to permit the African Union to pursue this technology, and no I don’t understand how it works, to explore other Suns. Personally I thought it was a waste of time we should have spent on expediting post Thermal engines but history has said who was right.

[…]

In contrast, nobody saw December 4th 2065 as groundbreaking as May 11th 2064. The Discovery program as everyone should know had to be stopped. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know what the Nuclear in Nuclear Thermal Engines meant the engines spewed out radiation. The Australasian’s ceased launches after 300 Darwin residents were diagnosed with brain tumors. Was only a matter of time before somebody found a solution.

In this case, it was the Chinese who beat the Australasians. Using conventional rocketry, Yu Shipwrights built a shipyard in space.

The Luhu class Explorer was the solution to the discovery problem. Two were built. The Zheng Hu and the Màoxiǎn. One to resurvey planets and the other to survey Asteroids for Corundium. The URCC had begun work on Asteroid Miner technology in preparation.

The only reason more weren’t built was simple. Kang was building an updated Nuclear Engine, known as a Pulse Engine that would replace the current Thermal the Aussies were so gung ho on keeping current. Yu Shipywrights was ordered to build a second slipway and expand the potential production

Within a few short months the Confederacy had built their own solution to the problem of Discovery Missiles and where well on the way to finishing a much larger Commercial shipyard. The Geosurvey ship Enterprise, named after that ridiculous television show, was planned to be finished September the year after. Sources suggested it could have been completed earlier, but the Confederacy was in the middle of supply issues with their factories rushing to finish additional shipyards.

[…]

My biggest mistake was not taking Jump Point theory seriously. I was completely blindsided by politics. I was far more concerned about domestic issues. The Arab-Christian Coalition had me distracted with petty religious freedom and social security problems.

I must repeat, this was a huge mistake and is my greatest regret. Had I know the violence and death my inaction would create, I would have broken the free tech agreement and never authorized the release of papers from Lagos University of Technology.

On the 6th of December, the Australasian Confederacy launched an Intersystem Ballistic Missile from the same site as the Discovery Missile Program. Faster than every single other space vehicle so far. Within 6 hours it had hit its target – the Icarus near earth object.

The message was clear, the Australasian’s would not be bullied by the UN anymore. The Missiles went faster than any ICBM defense system currently inplace. Not to mention faster than any other vehicle humans had created up to this point. The explosion measured on Icarus was enormous. Far greater than anything seen before.

One day later, the United Reconstruction Charter Colony CEO and board of directors voted unanimously to join the Australasia Confederacy. Effectively creating the world’s most powerful nation in terms of land, factories, minerals and technology. While the Australasian’s only had 200 million citizens at the time, the advance state of its economy left them far ahead of the pack. The Chinese of course could not stand this affront and immediately called for a removal of Australasia from the Security Council. Sanctions, Embargoes and everything that came with it were thrown at the Australasians.

It left me at a crossroad with few options. The Americans before WWII had grown peacefully into the world’s preeminent superpower with isolation. An option that was most appealing to me, we were no longer decades behind. We could finally forge our own path. Keep the Security Council seat but take a middle man approach to global politics.

The other is siding with one of the two powers.

China sat in second position once again but assuming there was no attacks on Chinese soil it would be back in the top seat within a decade. The Australasian’s have the technology and the upper hand with shipyards and military tech.

VOTING TIME

Who do we side with?

A: Ourselves. Full independence. -Relations between Australasia and China. +3 tension to Australasia and China

B: The Chinese our erstwhile allies. We apologize for our transgressions and fall behind the Chinese. --Relations with Australasia. +5 tension with Australasia. ++Relations with China, No more tension with China

C: The West! The Confederacy has taken up the position of the old United States once more. It is in our best interest to support the technological and military leaders. --Relations with China. +6 tension with China. ++Relations with Australasia, -1 tension with Australasia.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Three Kingdoms, one winner. We must side with the weaker of the two against the strongest, but expect betrayal at every turn.

B

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

my dad posted:

Three Kingdoms, one winner. We must side with the weaker of the two against the strongest, but expect betrayal at every turn.

B
We have always been at war with the Confederacy.

B

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

frankenfreak posted:

We have always been at war with the Confederacy.

I hate that both Africa and Australia are part of Oceania.

B

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
A. No gods, no masters, we shall never be slaves to the foreigners again. Mother Africa rises!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Oh, by the way I am looking for names of ships and classes. If you have any suggestions just put them down in the thread and I will start using them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd like to suggest Abu Rumi, Tewahdo, Abba Garima, and Asmera.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I vote B, maybe for once an Aurora AAR/LP will have AI China be victorious!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A. We are far more valuable as an impartial mediator than as a friend to exploitive foreign powers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

B The answer to an alliance bloc is a counter alliance bloc.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
VOTING OVER

A: 2
B: 5

It appears that we will be aligning ourselves with the Chinese against the Australasians. We have allied with the Chinese and decided to share gravitational (jump points and new systems) and geological data and keep the tech trade agreement. We won't be trading military technologies just yet.

Calebc789
Sep 8, 2014

Is it OK if I sign my name up for the first naval commander slot when it comes up?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I am in a bit of trouble, it seems that despite my best efforts NPRs have appeared in the game. This is causing slowdown, not on the computer end (I bought a CPU specially for single-threaded performance, most of my favorite games are poorly programmed) but NPRs are causing time to go in increments of 30 seconds.

This might be something to do with the Confederacy who are currently exploring. They are human controlled, but it could be SPOILERS causing the slowdown in the background.

EDIT: I think it is spoilers thank god, I can live with that. NPRs are the worst if they are in the background.

Calebc789 posted:

Is it OK if I sign my name up for the first naval commander slot when it comes up?

Of course, I can pop your name into the list of commanders. Would you like Caleb Sabananetisa? (Caleb 789)

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 6, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, what?

I suggest we draw ship names from Sci Fi novels that have won a Hugo award. TANSTAAFL, for example.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, what?

I suggest we draw ship names from Sci Fi novels that have won a Hugo award. TANSTAAFL, for example.

non player races I guess.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, what?

Sorry, it means Non Player Race. It's like a race that can't be controlled by the player. I am playing all three human nations. The reason I am doing that is NPRs can be very silly. In a test game the AUstralasian Confederacy bombed the Chinese and killed everyone on earth ending the game. I'll introduce NPRs as time goes on and the game isn't as risk of a single volley of nukes.

The Sci-Fi novel idea is a fun one. I'll use them as a standby for when the thread runs out of other ideas.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well, for ship classes we can use major African ethnic groups, to celebrate Africa's historical diversity? For example:

Yoruba,
Fon,
Fulani,
Zulu,
Hausa,
etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Africa

Ship names must obviously be as ironic and hipster as possible. :colbert:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This update will take a little longer than my last few. I had planned on stopping and posting once I got to a new System but there was next to nothing to see until then. I didn't want a really short update, as such I'm playing ahead for awhile.

So here is a sneak peak of the universe's worst sun.

1/500th the brightness of our own sun. I tried working out how much light there would be and apparently it would be worse than common office lights. I don't know how photosynthesis would work.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

A M7 dwarf is like the most boring star ever. Its old, cold, dull and irl almost certainly doesnt have planets.

I guess I hope the jump points are not too far out!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Windy are you using the realistic star system option?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

Windy are you using the realistic star system option?

I turned that option off so the map would be a little more unpredictable. I haven't really played realistic systems since v4.x (we are up to version 6 now) and then it was kinda boring. Fewer planets, boring suns and the whole thing was kinda uninteresting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Oops. That vote is already over.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 8, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zeroisanumber posted:

The United Reconstruction Charter Colonies.

It's a neat premise, and I like the idea of a new nation made up of the world's remaining best and brightest leading humanity into the stars.

You're a bit too late for that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I would like to sign up as a Naval Commander if you're taking names.

If there's a way to make my avatar a tactless, over-aggressive, egotistical blowhard, I'd like to do that.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I'd also like to sign up for a naval commander once one is available. Any set of stats is fine.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Would also like to sign up as a naval commander while we're at it.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Selected Transcripts: AU Armed Forces Command
2067-December-7th to 2074-Febuary-4th
The one with horrible writing because I had writers block. I thought it would be better just to get it out than try again.

Admiral Wambui: The Senate formalized the alliance last night.

Attaché Lee Wu: I am pleased to extend the offer to sell the government of the African Union the rocketry required to build your shipyards at cost.
*Glasses heard clinking in the background*

Captain de Wet: I heard the Australasian’s have finished construction of their second Launch Site.

Attaché Lee Wu: The number of nukes it would require to do enough disable Chinese and African armed forces would destroy the confederacy as well. The PRC military is holding back on building a replacement to the ICBM until we feel it is necessary.

Senator Ghan: And what we should report to back to the Senate?

Attaché Lee Wu: Remind them that the PRC and AU outnumber the Confederacy 10 to 1 in military forced and we have 100 times more nukes than they.

[…]

Senator Ghan: And the sale of the shipyard to Dlamini Naval is complete.

Senator Zuntar: Admiral, the Defense Committee is anxious to hear why the armed forces has asked the Senate to sell so soon after completion. We have authorized the payment to Dlamini Naval to rush a doubling of the shipyard size but we haven’t heard the reason why. The Muslim-Christian Coalition are becoming a real thorn in our side.

Admiral Wambui: And I want to thank the Defense Committee for their assistance in this matter. As you can see from these schematics, the AU Navy is rushing to complete a suite of components in a new Deep Space craft.

Captain de Wet: The boffins in Research have expressed any craft under 1500 tonnes would be an exercise in pointlessness. The ship will be slow regardless of what we do to it, the engine is more fuel efficient than anything the Chinese built. But the extra 500 tonnes are needed to extend the length of time the engines can run from 100 days to 3000 odd.

Senator Ghan: Well the Nigerian League sees that as a problem. I can empathise with the military here, but we are spending 50% of the nation’s heavy industry on building the drat shipyards. Next slide please!

Senator Ghan: And now one of the two shipyards are complete and you are intent on letting the Confederacy stay in the lead? Just 5 weeks ago 3 unknown craft left Earth on a heading of south east.

Senator Zuntar: Another three were detected yesterday and are now heading in a similar direction. The Muslim-Christians are demanding blood.

Captain de Wet: Let them moan, it won’t speed the process up any.

Senator Ghan: Give us something for Allah’s sake. My head will split in two if Senator Mutoko goes on another rant about Confederacy Supremacy. One can only take so much patriotism.

Admiral Wambui: She is on the Defense Committee?

Senator Zuntar: No, Committee of Unafrican Activities. She is channeling McCarthy.

Admiral Wambui: If she has security clearance than bring her. See if that shuts her up.

*Crude joke removed from the record*

Captain de Wet: Until next time ladies.

[…]

Senator Mutoko: And this took you 2 years to design?

Senator Ghan: Madam Senator, this design is more advance than contemporary Chinese designs.

Admiral Wambui: It is also capable of up to 10 years of independent exploration, jumping and is capable of surveying both gravitational points and any planets it discovers.

Senator Mutoko: It doesn’t even have one of those lasers the AU command is always going on about.

Attaché Lee Wu: Current PRC policy is not to provoke Confederacy aggression by building armed vessels. Ideally we would wait until we have an answer to their ISBMs before. The AU Armed Forces is just following our lead.

Senator Mutoko: *murmuring to herself.* I don’t agree with you Captain Lee Wu, but I will accept your wisdom in this matter.

Attaché Lee Wu: Thank you Mam.

[…]

Attaché Lee Wu: I had hoped to keep this quiet, but the Confederacy will be bleating it all over the evening news in an hour.

Attaché Lee Wu: The Confederacy has taken another first in this space race. Rather than building some form of base in the Asteroid belts like we were expecting, the Darwin class ship was actually an Explorer. They have completely surveyed the Solar System for jump points.

Senator Ghan: poo poo.

Captain de Wet: Why would they do that? We are still in the process of building our first space ship. At least 1 year before we could even hope to survey the system in the manner they have.

Attaché Lee Wu: Because they offered us a deal. The PRC must extend its apologies, the Confederacy gave us only 1 hour to accept. They will take the Jump Points marked JP 2 and JP 4. They expect us not to interfere with their exploration or try to jump through their Jump Points and in return we get unfettered access to the other two.

Admiral Wambui: Unusually fair, what is the catch?

Attaché Lee Wu: None from what we can see. They have seen all 4 systems, so we suspect they are taking the better of the 4.

Senator Zuntar: So who gets what?

Attaché Lee Wu: Premier Zhu has asked for the closer of the two points, JP 1.

Admiral Wambui: The African Union takes JP 3?

Attaché Lee Wu: President Mabuza has agreed with the Premier in this matter, your ship will be finished long before any of our deep space vessels so it is in the PRC’s opinion that it is a good deal.

Captain de Wet: Agreed

[…]

Senator Mutoko: When can we expect the first images of the new System?

Captain de Wet: The Ship jumped 10 minutes ago, a communication probe should be jumping back shortly with all the details.

I forgot to take a photo immediately jumping in, so that is why there are several extra ships in the system

Captain de Wet: And here it is.

Senator Zuntar: It is mesmerizing. So close to our own Solar System.

Captain de Wet: Yet so unsuitable for life. I can see why the Confederacy gave up the system.

Senator Mutoko: Why unsuitable?

Captain de Wet: The sun is only 1/500th as bright as our own Sun. Even if we terraform the planet to the correct temperature, farming without the aid of artificial lights would be impossible.

Senator Zuntar: And yet it is our only option for now. I’ll ask the Defence Committee to up the production of survey vessels.

[…]

Senator Mutoko: Dear Lord!

Admiral Wambui: The Armed Forces would like to present the solution to our future mineral shortages.

Senator Ghan: The numbers are accurate? How on Earth are we going to get there?

Admiral Wambui: The Military has a solution to that.

Captain de Wet: As you know, we have completed the construction of a brand new Commercial shipyard that we are upgrading even as we speak. We have issued contracts to private consultants and developers to construct new components for an awe inspiring ship that will move 10s of thousands of tonnes of equipment to this planet.

Captain de Wet: Two ships will be designed with the equipment here, both of them to be built at a staggering 60,000 tonnes. One will be a colony ship that will house tens of thousands of cryogenically frozen individuals, the other will be a freighter capable of shifting entire construction facilities and mines.

Admiral Wambui: In one decade, the African Union will be completely safe from ISBMs.

[…]

Attaché Lee Wu: One week ago, the PRC Space Agency sent back photos of our own new System, code-named Beijing. But this meeting is a ruse to throw off Confederacy spies.

Attaché Lee Wu: In 10 minutes the PRC will be unveiling to the world our new ISBM design to the world. We don’t want this to take you by surprise, as such we have granted you access to our active search network for today.

[…]

Attaché Lee Wu: And this my friends, is the tide changing in our favor.

VOTING TIME

We need names for the System and planets. It's up to you guys to name it. In fact, every system will be named by you guys.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would like to sign up as a Naval Commander if you're taking names.

If there's a way to make my avatar a tactless, over-aggressive, egotistical blowhard, I'd like to do that.

bgreman posted:

I'd also like to sign up for a naval commander once one is available. Any set of stats is fine.

Leif. posted:

Would also like to sign up as a naval commander while we're at it.

I'll add you guys into the game for the next update.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bandari Salama - Swahili for Safe Haven, Safe Harbor.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Lord Windy posted:

I'll add you guys into the game for the next update.

Can I join in the navy too?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I would like to be in the navy too, please. :)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I suppose I'll be joining the navy too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm reporting for a space science scientist or something like that, if possible, as <insert name here> Mydad.

AJ_Impy posted:

Bandari Salama - Swahili for Safe Haven, Safe Harbor.

A quick search of the Swahili Wikipedia makes me think this should actually be Bandari ya Salama.

Maybe we should name it Bandari Yetu - Our Harbor?

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 8, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I like the Harbor motif.

For everyone wanting to come in, I'll do up a spreadsheet of names to be inserted and host it somewhere tomorrow. I'll also add in pop culture references if anyone can think of some, I'm a bit of a philistine and the only African movie I can think off is The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone stand back. I'm going to try Science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you make some ridiculously overengineered combat ship that's probably going to explode spectacularly once it enters an actual fight, name it Makmende. Trust me.

• Locked thread