Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Mozilla Celebrates 10 Years of Firefox

Ten years flies by when you're constantly innovating, especially on the Web, where Mozilla's Firefox browser has now been available for a decade.
When Firefox 1.0 first hit the Internet on November 9, 2004, it was a very different online world, with Internet Explorer holding on to a seemingly insurmountable 90-plus percent market share. But with a brand-new design having launched last spring, a powerful 3D-gaming capable architecture underneath with asm.js/Emscripten, and a new, simpler syncing system added in just the past year, Firefox isn't slowing down.

#FX10!
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/11/mozilla-introduces-the-first-browser-built-for-developers-firefox-developer-edition/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3gyzAkTd0

New developer features! Such as: things that literally already existed in firefox, and including things that Chrome already has better UI for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Oh cool that was a pretty good snipe.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtOGa5M8AuU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
*easy claims the quint-post*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
peeped doodoo bad browser

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dave camp is pretty chubby and bald

fx10 looks worse than him though

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Has e10s landed yet? No? Get out of my house Firefox.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

whoever does the voiceover for the videos embedded in that page sounds exactly like what I imagine a firefox developer would sound like

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pram posted:

peeped doodoo bad browser

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

today I saw a guy at my office watch this entire thing from beginning to end with great interest

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

THC posted:

today I saw a guy at my office watch this entire thing from beginning to end with great interest

Lol.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the Internet belongs to all of us! what should we do with it? SET IT ON FIRREEE!!! (fox)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
iv'e wanted something like this since forever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sigh. i was hoping this would have a ruby runtime built in so that my entire development environment could be in browser. i guess i'll have to go back to dreaming.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

biznatchio posted:

Has e10s landed yet? No? Get out of my house Firefox.

yes

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

never forget

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
idgi, is this just Canary but Firefox?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
i assume it will require hundreds of megabytes of RAM just to display some text and images?

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

streetlamp posted:

idgi, is this just Canary but Firefox?

I think it's them slightly altering the devtools and calling it a new product.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

so complete that they hide the checkbox to enable it on every channel except nightly!

edit: the about :config entry to enable it manually doesn't even seem to work on Firefox Developer Edition

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 11, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
remember, remember
the 10th of november

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

biznatchio posted:

so complete that they hide the checkbox to enable it on every channel except nightly!

it's on by default on nightly therefore it is landed

but e10s is dumb anyway

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

it's on by default on nightly therefore it is landed

but e10s is dumb anyway

lol hasn't chrome had this for ages now?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

focal ischemia posted:

lol hasn't chrome had this for ages now?

yes and guess what firefox still doesn't really "have it" because e10s is literally "two process" (chrome and content)

the core for real multiprocess is there tho since firefox os (lol) has a process per app

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Avenging Dentist posted:

yes and guess what firefox still doesn't really "have it" because e10s is literally "two process" (chrome and content)

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is this just the aurura channel? it says that in the about, so that means its the unstablest version and they want you to develop the web when they are likely to have introduced a bug in regular functionality? this is the reason i stopped using chrome beta-- they hosed up normal css padding and i spent ages trying to figure out what i did wrong. but now chrome introduces bugs into stable so i guess thats what the internet is evolving toward

• Locked thread