Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Absolute austerity. In fact you should demand your soul back! Spending 3 percent of a resource, which wont replenish in your lifetime, just so you can have one early day, off seems like madness. Besides, if the demon does your job for today you have to figure out exactly what he did, in order to not be lost the next day.

That guy can be kind of glad he does not live in Germany. Faust was a weird name even by Goethes standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Be responsible. No point having no fun, but blowing our immortal soul on tidying the paperwork is just insane.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIcK_8RTJk

???

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Holy poo poo.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

We only have one soul, we should use it responsibly.
Hmmm...it is always your choice, Faust. Your choice.

In a glimpse they were gone. But all the due work was still there.

Oh, drat! It's 9PM already. I need to find a solution for this.

Hey, look at that. We have enough points in intelligence to actually do our job!

Then I had an insight, and suddenly I knew how I could finish everything in no time. When the clock was 11PM sharp I had finished everything. When I got out of the office I went to the bus stop.I had lost the last bus of the night. Right now my only option was to wait for a cab.

Why don't you go out? Relax. Meet new and exciting people!
Hmm...let me guess. You are taking me to a place where I pay for beer with my soul, right?
You are such a silly boy...I had something else in mind. There is an interesting place. A nearby pub. Why don't you go somewhere else to have fun and relax?

What if I tell you there is something very special in that place?
Something special?
Yes, there is a girl.
Also, the plot.
That's not special. There are always girls in a nice pub.
This girl is special, Faust. You could say that she is your...soulmate. Or at least, one of them.
I don't believe in those things.
It doesn't matter what you believe in or not. There are many soulmates for each person. You may meet many of them in a lifetime or none at all. Meeting a soulmate is a life-changing experience! A soulmake makes you become your true self. The very best or the very worst. The girl at the pub is one of them. A soulmate. Your soulmate!

Ok, fine.
Ok, it's decided. Let's go to the pub!

It was an odd place with odd people.
Notice they moved the party to the other side of the bar when Faust came in.

Getting drunk rules.

Drinking like your mom also rules. Also post in this thread if you live in the 21st century and have ever called a rum and coke a cuba libre.
Here you go, fellow.
Thanks!

I kept scanning the place while I was sipping my drink...but I couldn't find any girl who looked special to me.

What am I doing here?

I looked at the glass and saw myself. Then my reflex appeared...

For 5% of your soul, I can show you who your soulmate is.

Weeeeell. This seems important, right?

As soon as I rose my eyes from the glass, I saw her. There she was. Walking in my direction.

The man I was destined to become. She was...my soulmate!

Do you know why people call coke with rum cuba libre?
Not really. Why?
Because coke coke comes from USA and rum comes from Cuba. And it was created to celebrate Cuba's independence.
Where did you learn that?
I saw it in a game.
I never saw you here before. What's your name?
Faust.
Just like in Goethe's story! Funny thing, my name is in there too.
I am Peg. It's short for Margareth.
No it's not. That's not how names work.
Nice to meet you too. Tell me, how did you ended up here?
Why don't you tell me how you got here?
I work nearby, that's why I am around here.
That's nice to know, and what do you do?
I scribble on other people's skin. I am a tattoo artist. And you?
I am...an...accountant.
And do you like what you do?

There is more to like than paying the bills.
Have you tried Kickstarter?
Many of my unemployed colleagues wouldn't agree with you.
Not long ago I was in the same situation you are. Doing something I didn't like just because 'I had to'.
And what did you do before?
I was in the last year of law school. I left everything behind and decided to do something that could make me feel alive.
And it was that easy?
It was a tough decision to make. My internship paid more than what I make today. Then you understand that money is not so important and that you need less than what you thought you needed.
Not everyone is as courageous as you are...
Well, thanks. Tell me about you, what do you really want to do?

That's not a bad idea. To be independent is tempting. You choose what to do and when to do it. That's nice, isn't it? ...I liked our chat, but I really need to go.
Why do you need to go?
I'm tired. I may not look like it, but I am the kind of person who goes to bed early.
That's probably why you make no money as a tattoo artist. People tend to make their bad decisions after at least 8 PM, Meg.
Come on, stay a little longer. I'm really enjoying chatting with you.
I really liked this too, but...I'm really tired with an annoying headache. I'll see you some other day.
You are not going to give me a goodbye kiss?
...Ok. Just a kiss, and then I'll go.

Her kiss felt good but a bit odd. It felt desperate. She was into me a lot more than she would let me know.
Is that good enough for a goodbye? I'll catch up with you some other day.

What do you want me to do?
But she is your soulmate...even if she doesn't know it yet.
This is becoming too complex. Shouldn't all this be easier? Isn't she my soulmate?
It is complex because it is fate. And with fate, things are never simple. You could make this easier, you know.
For 15% of your soul, you can have her back.

Uuuuh nah.

Man, this is depressing.

I paid the bill and got out of there.

Faust! Have you done what I told you?
Yes! Here it is!
...Finally something useful came from you!

I knew I had done much more than most people would do. One more day of torture in my work had reached its end. On the next day I had a day off, so I could rest a little.

I was thinking about spending some time with my adorable bed, when my phone rang.

Hey Wagner! Long time no see!
BRO...what are you gonna do tomorrow? Sketch of the sleeping beauty? It's been some time since we played basketball together. Let's play some?
Hmm, I don't know, I have to check it out if I...
C'mon we haven't seen each other for so long, it would be nasty to say no just like that. So, what do you say, dude? LEt's go?
Ok, then. You can count me in.
Awesome! See you tomorrow then!

Faust! Nice to see you came, bro! This is Hog. He is going to play with us.
Yo man! How ya doin'?

Doing better than your spine, definitely.
But how are we gonna play, just the three of us?
How about me against you two?
If you think you can handle it...
Don't you? So, let's make a bet, yo? To turn things on, dude.
We're on, dude! How much do you wanna bet, Hog? Twenty bucks?
No, something better than that...10% of the soul of the ones who lose.
Hahahaha...very magical, dude! Let's bet a part of our souls, then!
So, Faust...are you gonna run? Are you a yellow?

Hog owns. Do you want to slam with Hog?

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 19, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can always tell when someone's played Catherine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nope I forgot aren't we weaklings or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Party Bug posted:

I am Peg. It's short for Margareth.
No it's not. That's not how names work.

Peg is short for Margaret the same way that Bill is short for William. See here.

Let's not wager souls on basketball games.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We got an olympic athlete body you are going DOWN, son!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
We spent part of our soul giving our athleticism skill a boost, we're going to take on this challenge.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Aren't we the Soul Gambler?
We can take him! Let's get it ON!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Waffleman_ posted:

Catherine is a game about having sex with women whose names end in -atherine. Also about sheep, but not having sex with the sheep probably. These are the things I know about Catherine.

ultrafilter posted:

Peg is short for Margaret the same way that Bill is short for William. See here.
names are upsetting, i'm gettin upset

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

All the alcohol trivia I know I learned from that game. True story.

Okay that's not true, there's also the trivia I picked up while interning at a beer company years ago.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
We are an athlete now, we will try and get the 10% of our soul which we had spent to become an athlete back.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Let's take him on!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

We got an olympic athlete body you are going DOWN, son!

Very true. This

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Party Bug posted:

Catherine is a game about having sex with women whose names end in -atherine. Also about sheep, but not having sex with the sheep probably. These are the things I know about Catherine.

Between levels in Catherine, you hung out at a bar with your friends, and there was a lot of stuff you could do, including ordering drinks. Each drink came with alcohol trivia, and the Cuba Libre tidbit was one of the first.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think your last reply face in the update there is Faust and should be Hog. Unless he's talking in third person about himself.

EDIT: Also, is everyone wagering their souls? Is Faust the last guy to learn about the soul stock market?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Marty McFly this motherfucker.

Also ignore Peg. Self indulgent wasterells are not going to help Faust overcome his unfortunate name and become a millionair. Only hard word and careful use of the soul would do that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

But that only made things worse EVERY TIME. This is not a good idea! Just walk away!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
We sold a huge chunk of our soul for the body of an athlete, we're drat well going to use it.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I knew a rum and Coke was called a Cuba Libre, I knew Peggy was short for Maggy, and I knew you nerds would turn a deal-with-the-devil premise into a boring "Let's wait and see" lamefest. Life fast, die hard and when the time comes talk your soul out of the devil's hands like a goddamn superhero. C'mon, son.

And Faust would be a doctor or something nowadays, not an accountant.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So Goethes Faust is a thing, in universe? That's kind of weird.
I thought this was supposed to be a modern day version of the story, rather than the story about a guy who happens to share his name and coincidentally his story.
I really dont thing that this will work. Imagine if the characters of the show "Sherlock" kept referencing Doyles novels.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Air is lava! posted:

So Goethes Faust is a thing, in universe? That's kind of weird.

It's weirder that Goethe's Faust is a thing and some guy who was named for the main character thinks he can get a leg up on the devil.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It is well possible that he knows that Faust is a story about dealing with the devil to become awesome and having no idea how it ends. I mean Faust owns, but I read it in German, can't believe expect that from everyone.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Party Bug posted:

Drinking like your mom also rules. Also post in this thread if you live in the 21st century and have ever called a rum and coke a cuba libre.

Yeah, yeah. I grew up in a pub.

Try taking on the demon basketballer, I guess. We are buff, allegedly.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

It is well possible that he knows that Faust is a story about dealing with the devil to become awesome and having no idea how it ends.

The nerd version of idolizing Scarface.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Maybe he spent 10% of HIS soul ALSO getting an olympic body, thereby making him have an advantage since he started with a leg up, and he wants to get that 10% back from some stupid schlub.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I really can't shake the "crappy Newgrounds Flash game" vibe that the art style is giving me.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

GOING HOG WILD

Hog was a much better player than any other person I had met in my life.

100% real life cutscene footage

It looked like a couple of kids against a pro. We didn't have the slightest chance.

Yeah, that didn't work out so well. Also, we lost 10% of our soul. Oops.

C'mon Faust. I will give you a ride to your place...

I wasn't able to take what happened in the day before out of my head.
What the hell was that?

We just lost some soul, but dropping a little more to find out what the gently caress that was about is probably a good idea.

What's your question.

Who the hell is this Hog guy?
It's not clear for me.
l could have just bought magic 8 ball.
There is something protecting him that does not allow me to see anything else. I can tell you one thing. He is neither human nor demon.
What is he, then? I'm sure he is not an angel.
Angels and demons are the same thing. There is absolutely no difference between them. Religions created that difference.
:siren:Goethe status: spinning in grave:siren:
He might be an illusion or a puppet.
A puppet?
There are rituals that allow you to reanimate corpses and use them as puppets.
Hog, like all great basketball players, has returned from retirement to play again.
If he is a puppet then there must be someone pulling the strings, right?
Yes, that is correct. Some beings have the power to identify people who made the pact.
Can I have that power too?

Hey. gently caress you.
...Ok, it won't happen. That's for sure.
What is your question?
How can I have more than 100% of my soul?
Yes, there are some ways to do that. The most used and simple one is betting.
So I could replace parts of my soul like this, right?
Your soul is unique. Parts of other souls you won by betting can be used to make wishes. Your soul is unique and what is done cannot be undone. Once you use your soul, it is lost forever and it'll become scarred.
Scarred? What kind of scars are we talking about?
That question is not about the same subject. For 5% of your soul I can answer it.

Losing soul = bad. I think we can live without knowing specifically how bad.
I have no further questions.

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. I needed to know more about Hog.

Short update, the next one might be too. Basketball zombies go away if you ignore them, right?

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 22, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Investigate!

Also wow our Olympian body sucks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Investigate him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No matter what happens, we need to keep our soul at this number for as long as possible, and that means no risks. Keep away.

nice.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
"I will answer your questions for 5% of your soul."
Nothing about topic you greedy jerk! :argh:

Besides I don't see how the other things could be classified as the 'same topic' while that question didn't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Investigate

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow not even a skill check, huh?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RBA Starblade posted:

Investigate!

Also wow our Olympian body sucks.

Our "Olympian body" was a point up from our initial strength of 1.

I wonder if that's even possible to win.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If the artist was going for a Hanna-Barbera style, they absolutely nailed it. Especially Satan. If there was an episode of Scooby-Doo involving Satan, that is what she'd look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
He said "For 5% of your soul i will answer your questions" And now suddenly he says that asking off topic questions cost an extra 5%? And he decides what is or is not off topic? This entity is an obvious scammer now, don't give it anything and don't trust it to follow through with any bargain!

• Locked thread