Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
The Sentinel
"What is to become of those of us who pass your test?"

A: "You will go forth into this world, to seek out the Fate-stones of legend!!!"

Jacob
"I have a question! What exactly Is a fate-stone, and what is their lore?"

A: "Once upon a time...the Gods were idiots. The being they sprang forth from had finally succeeded in killing itself and in so doing, birthed them. It's leftover words were like tools of creation and weapons of destruction. Indeed the first gods knew these words and did fun things like kill one another, drive themselves mad, or make retarded animals. You get the picture. So having great ideas and wanting their own successors and creations to have access to doing the same things, they wrote these words down. On stone made from the calcified bones of their dead parent. Genius right? The bad ideas kind of stop here because almost all of the original gods are dead or inaccessible. Each word is hard to destroy, almost impossible and very dangerous. Many are thankfully lost but the few that remain would make things suck for the rest of us. I hope that helps!"

Eavesdropping spell:It works. Info to come later.

Pablo
"Anything, like 'What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?'"

A: "The answer is decay. That's how you'd fix that problem. It'll all break down then. Not sure why you'd want to end everything. You should have asked what the meaning of life is or something." Pater sketched out an equation on a piece of paper and hands it to you. "That would get you started, if you knew how to put it into practice."

Davos
"Where do I find my champion, the servant more perfect for me than any other man alive or dead?"

A: "If you make it out alive, look in the wastelands of Kell. You may meet your champion, if you play your cards right."

Gwendolyn
"Do you know if my people still live, or was my final mission in vain?"

A: "One still lives, and he was the only one to leave your world. He has entered this one. You may seek him out if you wish..."

Deishu
"Is it allowed for me, as the, Great Dragon to have a girlfriend?"

A: "Of course! The Great Dragon is free to make his own choices. Whether your people approve or disapprove is another matter. But there are no rules against it."

Ok. Feel free to react and interact. Waiting on DDwarf to post his question and then another big update :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Kan Deishu - Pater's Tower

Kan Deishu pumped the air. "Yessss!"

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Pater's Tower

Caleb chuckles at the dragon's exuberance.

"Well, at least someone got some good news, eh? Now we'll just have to get you set right up, lad."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Pater's Tower

The Wastelands of Kell. Davos etched that name into his memory. He would have to organize an expedition there as soon as possible. As he wondered just who or what he would find there, he overheard the dragon-man's response, and snorted. That he would need to ask the greatest wizard in the world if he was allowed to enjoy himself, was all Davos needed to know about him.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

The dragon-man snorted at the cowled man's comment. "There isn't anyone to be found here. Everyone, well, almost everyone seems to be a guy. That's...actually pretty weird now that I think about it. Do you know why that is?"

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

"It is rather strange, come to mention it. Whatever reasons there were for choosing us, though, are beyond me. But there's a few women about. Not too many, but some. And besides, who's to say it has to be someone in the Tower? Plenty of pretty girls out there in the world, right?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Pater - The banquet hall, Pater's Tower

Pater examines each of you for a moment. Then gives a little more information to the topic at hand. "There are men and women in the tower in equal measure. Perhaps you never noticed the females, but I sure have." He whistles.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Gwendolyn - The Banquet Hall, Pater's Tower

"Well, I anticipated this, but, well... I'll be in the corner crying, even though I can't anymore. Call me when the banquet is complete."

Gwendolyn didn't actually walk over to a corner, but set herself out of the way, but close by, so she could still listen in when Pater spoke. She crossed her arms, closed her 'eyes', and let out an exasperated sigh. For all intents and purposes, she might as well have been a statue, not moving.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Pablo - Pater's Tower

Perhaps he should have, and yet he kept that answer in mind. In the great universities of Arabardy there had been a school of thought that all things are subject to decay over time not merely organic matter, and even more esoteric notions such as time itself were not immune to this decay, something that they couldn't prove by the time he isolated himself, but who knows what may have changed. That could be useful.

Pablo then looked at the equation given before him and balked. It was almost an entire page long; complete with symbols he did not recognise, functions that looked almost impossible, and something about the page made his brow ache when he tried to look and read the entire thing at once. It was the most difficult mathematical question he has seen in his life, and the mere thought of it was enticing.

"... Challenge accepted."

>Pablo gained key item "The Impossible Question"
>Pablo gained key idea, "All Things Decay"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 17, 2015

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Jacob - Banquet Hall - Pater's Tower

Jacob blinked his eyes. Impossible power, and we would be sent....to hunt and gather it? He felt his breast swell with greed.

"How many words were there? Also, not really a Question, just conversation, but what's up with that poison you're drinking? What's the point of that?"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jacob looks over at Gwendolyn. He cuts is palm and lets blood fall to the ground.

"For the dead."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Pater - The Banquet Hall, Pater's Tower

Pater wiggles a finger at Jacob and winks. "Now now. I did say only one question didn't I?" Pater didn't seem distracted anymore but turned deadly serious. The pupils of his eyes were suddenly shaped like a cat's. Jacob could sense something hungry in the way he suddenly spoke next.

"The next question will cost you. If you are willing to pay the price. If you ask again, I will take it."

~Mystery~

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

"The Price? Pay The Price"

His voice sounds weird. His bones feel both like their lighter than the rest of his body, and like they were being dragged down. Why is his breath so ragged? Oh-oh

He takes out his knife and slams the butt into his plate, shattering it.

"I was Born paying tribute to the GREAT GOD PATER! My grandfather paid you his tongue! My father paid you his soul! My mother, my brothers. The spirit of my whole people broken and ground while their blood-lines where scattered into the wind....They paid you me." Here, he takes off his shirt. A number of scars, some in delicate and fanciful patterns, others in a dull scribble. He gestures at them with his knife. "Nine hundred years without rest, and without succor. I've paid, and paid, and paid, and Still you talk about what is owed."

He begins to feel weak, and his weakness makes him laugh as his hands tremble. This is Pater. He's so much more powerful than Jacob is. His anger is pointless. Any threats he'd make, even more so. He puts his shirt back on, but pulls up his left sleeve. He take his knife, and slashes himself thrice. He doubted Pater would take payment in blood, but it made him feel a modicum more in control in the situation. He knew it was an illusion, but it would help him keep a hold on himself.

He puts his knife away, and puts his palms flat on the table.

"How many fate-stones do you have?[E: And what are their names?]"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob pushes his luck

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 17, 2015

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Pater turns his head sideways. The tirade didn't seem to affect him at all. Faster than anyone could have imagined possible, Pater's hand suddenly thrusts out and Jacob is pierced by green lightning.

Jacob feels the pain of not only this moment but those of his ancestors and in a moment of clarity he is slammed with the pain of the history of anything and everything in the world. He can't bear it. He can't take it. And it is at this moment he feels...despair. It is then and only then that he knows the price he has paid for such a foolish question.

A piece of his soul.

"I possess none." Pater smiles sadly at Jacob.

When you recover, you and the others notice that a tattoo has appeared on your forehead. The mark of Yig.

When points are handed out. You will be misisng some. Luckily your soul will heal in time.

So long as Jacob bears this mark, no goodly race will have dealings with him but neither will they try and actively harm him unless he does so first. Attacking Jacob without cause may curse and infect them with the mark as well.

This doesn't apply to other PCs.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob lays still on the ground

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

He looks at Gwen with sadness in his eyes. He knew what it felt like to lose those you cared about. Good people. Family, friends, and loved ones.

But before he can make a move to go and console her, Jacob blows up. And he blows up big.

Caleb is on his feet in a flash, hand going for his belt of knives, when Jacob opens up his veins, and is subsequently struck by lightning from Pater's hands.

Once again, the Sentinel's hand is stayed. His grip on his knives loosens, his hand raises to brush through his silver-shot hair, and he sighs heavily.

"Well that was, er...right exciting."

He looks over the fallen Jacob. Sigils, scars, and a very practiced hand at opening himself up. Clearly, the man was a thaumaturge. Blood magic was all but forbidden in Balenstrand, and even his beloved Mina and her father only spoke of it in the most hushed tones.

"Curiouser and bloody curiouser. Pun intended. Now, I'm going to speak very carefully, so's not to ask any unnecessary questions, but, er...someone who opens up a vein, combined with cuts and scars like that, with this whole situation, strikes me as odd. Thaumaturgy isn't rightly too common, at least in my experience, but nothing else makes sense. So something, clearly, sparked a thaumaturge, like Jacob, to have an outburst. And this curious sigil on his forehead. I'd like to know the meaning, but I suspect we'll know soon enough. I suppose the next point of order, then, would potentially be any unasked questions and then our test."

Keeping a wary eye on Jacob, he squats down next to Gwen, speaking softly enough that only the two of them can hear.

"I understand your pain, and I am deeply, truly sorry for what you've lost, Gwen. Should you wish, I can...help you find the one you seek. I won't interfere, or otherwise get in the way, but I can do some looking.

I..." he pauses. Then he softly places a hand on the cold stone shoulder. "I know what it's like to lose those close to you," he says, easing the leather strap around his neck out of his cuirass, wedding band dangling from it. "And I'm here if you'd ever like to talk, or anything."

He stands, still wary of the prone Jacob, and tucks his thumb through his belt loop, fingers still close enough to snatch the knives from his belt if anything gets serious. He was sure that Pater didn't need protecting. But a sentinel is a protector, regardless of his charge.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Pater's Tower

As he continued to slowly enjoy the food presented before him by his two thralls, Davos kept a careful eye upon the goings on at the center of the room. The exchange had been most enlightening, combined with Pater's earlier answer it made the reason for their being here rather clear. Pater hadn't defeated Yig, he'd merely sealed him away. Based on his recent actions, Davos imagined that the seal was beginning to loosen. Thus Pater needed agents to seek the fate stones to finish the job he started a millennium ago. This little incident certainly added a certain urgency to their quest. All in all it was quite a bother. He'd have no choice but to help, it'd be hard to rule the world if Yig beat him to the punch, but nevertheless he wasn't particularly looking forward to expending a large amount of resources to find a fate stone, only to have to use it to reseal or destroy Yig. In between bites, Davos sighed. He supposed he couldn't be helped.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

As the sentinel moved away from him, Deishu decided to make use of the machine and chose a tea that he remembered the monks describing as 'meditative'. It poured out into a cup and was fresh and hot, although the heat didn't bother his body when he had assumed the partial avatar form so Deishu drunk it fairly quickly and then grimaced. It was bitter with a sickly sweet after taste. How was that even possible? He proceeded to poor out some plain water to wash away the taste and sat in a chair indolently and considered the others. Unlike some of the others in the room he did not think too hard on why they had been summoned. He did idly consider some of the other questions. Best follower? Location of Fate Stones? They seemed rather foolish questions. At least that fellow who had asked for the answer to life had more sense until he'd gotten whatever it was that he had. Why bother asking questions like that anyway, anything too introspective you had to figure out for yourself, he knew that much. You couldn't just teach people how to move, you could prepare them and help them condition their bodies but the movements between different forms and the flow of movement that came with control of your body was something you had to experience and learn for yourself.

He leaned back with one log across the other and waited for the last man to ask his question and for Pater to speak again.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Pater’s Tower, The Banquet Hall

The Adojurugani coughed and cleared his nostrils as some of the flour that smothered the room had made it up his nose and through to his throat. What that one human did - this Deishu - had not been helpful and he half-suspected that the scream came from that one human who may be in dire straits if not dead. It still stuck to him after they were in this new Hall. A disappointed frown drooped on his face as he still wanted to see if he had outwitted the wall. It did not matter that the information had already vanished from his head and could no longer recall how the fake wall worked, his self-imposed challenge had been taken away from him. He had pummeled this frustration down by getting as much of the flour off of him as possible. He took a seat, on one of the banquet tables, near that one dragon-human and one of the others who seemed to be intently reading over something. He’d take a couple of fruits and some beef - served much larger and more tender than what he was used to - and pocked a large green apple in his sack for later.

Beyond that false ‘test’ Xozo was confounded by Pater’s demeanour and his offer to answer any question The Cryptomancer had in mind. There were already a portion of the humans who had already given their questions - some more personal than others - but Xozo could not quite fathom what the purpose of this was, or what this had to do with the test that’s still hanging over their heads, especially as some of the questions have shed some light on what passing the test entails. The scowl had not left his face, it was not like he had suffered in that enclosure.

Jacob’s outburst, questions, and… display raised an eyebrow and now a new question came to mind, though he was not certain if is should be used on this. Then again a lot of what he had went through was not at all typical to his usual interaction - or lackthereof.

“Forgive, but much of your behavior seems strange Pater.” Xozo spoke up. “Why are you drinking this poison at such a time?”

Certain actions and details just beg for a question...

Time to ask a $64,000 question, and determine its value...

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 18, 2015

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Xozo:“Why are you drinking this poison at such a time?”

A: Pater frowns. "Oh. Well, I've been trying to die for a very long time." Pater's face takes on a slightly demonic look. His voice overlapped with another. A deep bass to Pater's light tone. "RUIN. The boy caused us RUIN." Pater shook his head as if clearing his thoughts. Normal again.

"Hmm. Now where was I? Oh yes, well even when I've succeeded I just end up back at 0. I resets after 1000. My failsafe for containing myself. Selves."

He looks irritated.

Sorry forgot about your question! A little more info because I did.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Gwendolyn's eyes remained closed, her entire face caught up in a frown. She responded to Caleb in a wistful tone, "Apologies, but you do not understand my pain, and I pray you never do. My entire life has been one of loss, but I am perfectly at ease with that. Everyone I knew back then had lost, least of all me. I'm not even upset that my people have been wiped out down to a man. We had failed so utterly that my people's legacy is a monstrosity borne of our minds and our hubris, no doubt set on devouring new worlds. My entire planet, lost. Can you imagine that? Maybe it will even find its way to this backwater land, and we can have a friendly chat. This body of mine is a testament to my cowardice in the face of death, and now, I can not even begin to conjure up that feeling you get in your heart when you just want to collapse onto your knees and let loose a cry of anguish. It is so strange, knowing how I should feel and act, but not actually feeling it. Yes... I pray you never come to understand how I feel now."

When she opened her eyes, she stretched out her arms, and interlocked her fingers to crack them. It seemed old habits died hard despite not actually having any bones to crack. "Thank you for your concern and your offer. I will think on it. Now if you'll excuse me, my medical services appear to be required. Again."

Checking up on Jacob's vitals. Can statues even feel pulses? How does this work?!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Gwen rose after speaking her piece, as matter-of-factly as you'd like. And Caleb felt sorrow for her. He wouldn't try to compare her tragedies to his own. All he could do was help her, if she'd have him.

As she strode over to Jacob, checking his vitals, Caleb had no choice but to dash in once more.

"Easy! Easy! That's a bit much pressure on his neck, innit? He's drawing breath quick enough, means his heart's still beating."

He looks on with concern, both for Gwen and for Jacob.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
(Between the Sentinel and Gwen, they see that Jacob's damage is not physical.)

Also none of Pater's answers are secret. Feel free to respond to the information.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

His eyes closed, he lay prone. To him, everything around him was a grey fog, and his ears were numb and full of cotton. Still, every word Pater said cut through it all, down to his flesh. When his voice changed, his body twitched as it failed to curl into a ball. He was still too injured for new thoughts to strike him.

He felt the Voice's hands, cold as ice around his neck. It Was Throttling The Life Out Of Him! He was too weak to move. He let himself die, and just like that the grip was gone. He felt himself being repositioned.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Lucien - Pater's Tower

Everyone seemed so sure of themselves. But no one seemed to be the real Foreman. Which was a shame, because even though he had no idea what that meant, he was happy to work hard and do whatever this foreman bloke would do if it got good food on his plate. Sizing up the rest of the crew, he turned back to Pater and spoke.

"Uh.. alright. I wanted to ask something smart, like what the test would be, but I think I'll settle for a simple one. Why. Why us. Why all of this?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Pater looks at Lucien and purses his lips. "You're not the first group of apprentices to make it this far. Some still don't pass the the final test. But there were others. They failed to accomplish the task, or are still trying." Pater starts drumming his fingers in the arm of his chair. "I think I've been in this cycle a while. Essentially I picked each of you becuase you have abilities and skills which may be the key to getting the Fate-stones. One of them may be the key to fixing this mess. When or if you pass, I will send you out into the world and pray that you get them in time."

Wistfully Pater looks out into the distance, his eyes sad. "It was a shame what we did to that boy...but-"

The dual voices speak in unison. "But I couldn't let YOU win."

<The soft sounds of a child crying fills your heads. Suddenly silenced.>

Pater claps his hands together as jovial as a circus performer. Normal as normal can be in this situation. "Would anyone like some fruit? Or desert?

^_______________________^

Last chance for reactions. Then we're moving on. Don't disappoint me pls k thx.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 18, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Pater's Tower

Davos scoffed mentally. Yig clearly wasn't as smart as he thought he was. He was a bit too blatant, and in doing so he had added a sense of urgency to Pater's mission. It was possible that it was a double bluff, but based on Yig's behavior thus far he felt that might be a bit too complicated for the demon to follow. Still, he had gotten something out of this experience at the least with the location of a powerful potential servant. He supposed he should be positive about this.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Two spirits in one body, a possession. Kan Deishu suddenly lamented his lack of skill and influence in the spiritual. Surely the Great Dragon would have been able to help with this situation. Was that why he had been chosen? It would make some sense given the immense powers of the Great Dragon. His normally unassailable self-confidence took a chink as he wondered about the enormity of the task and the fact that, whatever had been done, had managed to break the Great Wheel of Fate and bind it to the same one thousand years. Questions arose in his mind and he wondered about the cost of the answers.

Then he shook himself and his posture changed, more serious and tense.

"Why can we not just leave and do this for ourselves?" Deishu asked with some interest, hoping the question did not have some dreadful cost to his Karma. "Whether or not I can touch the elements or the world now will not change what has to be done and that I must do it. If Wu Xan is in danger, it is my duty as its Guardian to protect it."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Pater's face twitches. Robes flare out from his thin frame as he stands. Slamming his staff into the floor a wave of force almost knocks down everyone in the room. Suddenly Pater wasn't there and then suddenly he was standing next to Deishu.

His hands were a blur as he executed a perfect strike of the Karkun-jin style. A style that only had one true successor in the history of the world. Passed on from master to apprentice after the apprentice had slain the master. How had Pater learned it's secrets? The knowledge of the Great Dragon identified this even though Deishu had never heard of it in his lifespan.

This thought would have to wait. The pain in Deishu chest confused him. Pater's voice was apologetic but everyone heard him loud and clear as he held in his hand the spectral piece of Deishu's soul.

"The original progenitor of this universe set the rules. Not specifically but generally they are a pain in that they must be followed. Anyone that dares to state these ARE specific will be struck down. False prophets often find themselves taken care of by the grand design."

"The seekers will be tested."
"They will be broken and mended."
"They will rise and fall. "
"When they obtain what is sought, then may they hold the keys to their own fate.

Pater smiles sadly at Deishu . Red glowing lines begin etching themselves into every available surface on Deishu's body. Alien symbols not of this reality etch themselves into your skin.

When points are handed out. You will be misisng some. Luckily your soul will heal in time.

So long as Deishu has these tattoos, any foes he faces (if they live) will join forces with other foes Deishu has faced. This applies to any organizations or allegiances they have. However the more foes Deishu does defeat, the more his legend and reputation will grow. For good amongst those he champions and for ill against those he faces.

This doesn't apply to other PCs.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob opens his eyes. The fog of his despair was being beat back by adrenaline. Pater was doing it again. Swirling wind, and lights, and sounds, and that awful voice that cut through everything.

His heart was beating very fast. The test was coming. Nobody had thought to ask what it was, and it was coming. He groans as he tries to sit up. He feels tired and lank. Get it together. The violence has already begun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob tries to pull himself together E: for fluff

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 18, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Pater's Tower

Davos carefully puts down his fork, having enjoyed the assortment of foods on offer. He had dismissed his thralls to eat, and they had done so quickly and uncerimoniously before returning to his side. All that was left to do was to wait for the test to begin. There was no point in saying anything, especially with Yig in the room. Anything he might say would simply be an opening for Yig to attack, and unlike some of the others, Davos was not so foolish to to go blustering off about his plans in front of an extremely powerful demon. So, he simply sat and waited in silence. His expression carefully neutral.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Pain.

A small part of Deishu's mind was surprised, he had not been bested in so long and Pater had done so without question. He had even been presumptuous enough to assume himself physically the better of the old man. Why would he not have? All the other students studying the arts of combat had been his inferior and Kan Deishu had always been aware his real education was supposed to be spiritual and not physical. Until this time he had bettered every fighter and master he had fought. The power of a living god gave him great strength, speed and resilience, and he had always been an excellent student in the disciplines of the body. A prodigy. Unbeatable.

Clearly he had been mistaken and arrogant.

Another chink in his self-confidence appeared, but he had learned something and some vestige of wisdom formed in his temporarily clouded mind. Kan Deishu remained silent. After a few moments when he had recovered from the strike, he put his hands together and bowed respectfully to Pater in the manner of a student who has been taught a great lesson by his teacher. He had not only learned the obvious lesson taught here. The Great Dragon, protector of Wu Xan was a celestial being and bound by the rules that governed the heavens. To have learned some of them was also an important lesson, and one he needed to take to heart.

The dragon-man waited politely to be permitted to sit again.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 19, 2015

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel, Pater's Tower

"Bloody hell. This is getting right interesting."

He began to form a conjecture. If Pater lives 1000 lives, and is trying to kill himself to reset the cycle. And one of those voices joining in could potentially be Yig, possibly assimilated or bound?

It got curiouser and curiouser. He considered asking a question of Pater. Hell, he considered asking many. But still, he bit his tongue and valued his patience. All would become clear soon enough. He was sure of that much. And anything he didn't know immediately, he could deduce with time.

For now, he would wait. He steeled himself, preparing for the test, whatever it may be.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Pater's Tower

Davos stands, still a bit shaky after the blast and turns to the others. In a voice who's careful and practiced neutrality deftly covered his own fear and confusion at being in the presence of Yig as well as all of the confrontations he states, "Let's go before someone asks a question that gets us all killed."

Davos, realizing that some of his "colleages" might not have made the connection between questions and the escalating series of actions by Yig is trying to move people along out of here.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

"Too right. Let's just get to this test. The sooner we act, the sooner we can get to our purpose."

He bites his tongue, holding the thought before he can acrually add "As unpleasant as it may conclude to be."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob staggers over to the food service, still unsteady on his feet. He sees a big crystal bowl, full of undressed salad. He dumps the salad out, and puts it under the decanteur.

Bood. Human. Hot.

He opens the spigot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob accumulates blood

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

While it fills, Jacob thinks of all consumption rituals that he'd learned. Every society serious about blood magic had at least one consumption ceremony. They all did different things, but most of them required death, preparation, and privacy. The most he could manage here would be a partial regeneration. Still, he suspected he needed to be able to walk without falling if he was going to survive the test.The bowl was filled. He drags it out from under the decanteur, unable to lift it.

He takes everything off his torso, letting his clothes hang around his waste. He bites his thumb and runs it across his body. Upside down triangle on his face, horizontal lines around his mouth, one thick line tracing his throat down to his belly button. A spiral. Radiating lines. A strip across his eyes. \\

He closes his eyes, and murmurs prayers to the Goddess of the Pure Temple. 'Give me strength. Protect the sanctity of my blood in this torrent of sickness. Let me be healed and restored under the light of your burning knife, which cuts off what is foul and cleanses what it touches in that pain which makes clean.'

He continues to murmur as he cups his hands and brings them to his mouth, but those words were for them alone. He opens his eyes, and looks into his hands. The details of the consumption rituals vary across cultures but they all agree on one thing across the board. It's not good to consume often in the second stage. He sighs. He needs to regain his strength.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob tries to regain his strength for the test, not thinking of points, but only of recovering from the trauma of his soul ablation

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 19, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Gwendolyn rose as Jacob did and watched him with an eyebrow raised. Figuring he would end up dumping the blood over himself, she took a few steps back. The golem was no stranger to rituals, but when Jacob began drinking the blood instead, all Gwendolyn could say was, "Huh."

There certainly were all types of magic to be found around here. She watched Jacob intently, with a doctor's concern, while waiting for Pater to continue. She felt no need to rush him along, as it was not her place to do so.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Waiting on Pablo, Xozo, and Lucien. What are you going to do hot shots? What is in your character's minds and character. It's understandable to not want to ask anything. But IT IS A CHOICE. :) (DDwarf I can move along due to time issues.)

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

And here was the thaumaturge, gorging himself on blood. Caleb did not like where this was going. Scratch that - the Sentinel did not like where this was going.

The throwing knife eased out of his belt quietly enough, fitting neatly and discreetly in his hand. One flick of the wrist was all it would take to drop Jacob to the floor again. Or to knock the decanter out of his hands. For now, though, he'd settle for a warning.

"I'd mind my drinking were I you, thaumaturge," he says, voice a little growlier and raspier than his previous charming demeanor. "You made a poor move once. I wouldn't advise you make another."

The Sentinel was no idiot. He didn't have to be a genius to see the plan taking place here. The first step was a wound - the slash on the arm, the bitten-open thumb. Knowing he was a blood mage, then, made it almost a foregone conclusion - there had to be something in the works. A blood mage wouldn't begin imbibing vast quantities of the source of his power, after a violent outburst and the start of a ritual, just for shits and giggles. Whether it was a strike, or something else, he was still working on. But it behooved him to make his point now, before the situation devolved and he was forced to pit truesilver knives and razor-keen wits against blood-soaked power and forbidden magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Pater’s Tower, The Banquet Hall

The answers he got were… not at all what he was expecting. If it was not the second voice in the old man, it was the other non-human who seem afflicted with strange tattoos that appeared out of nowhere. If it were not either of those two, it was the voie that seemed to have came from within his own head. And the more Pater spoke the more that other voice spoke as well, and all of a sudden the weight of this test he had little idea to start on fell on him like a freshly killed bison. And yet a grin crept onto the Cryptomancer’s face. Part of him relished this challenge, welcomed this temporary change from his usual day-to-day schedule of plinking away at his Puzzle Sphere; the only regret is that he had to work this out in his head when so simple a challenge could have easily been spelled out.

And yet this was back before there were consequences; as strict as his people were to him as a child before he was initated, they did not kill him for failure. At least, judging by Pater’s sudden shift he felt like his life was in the balance if this test was ignored by him. Despite that he still felt… alive with this knowledge; he felt a purpose that called to him. Challenge me. The Cryptomancer could have sworn he heard. The fragments of knowledge that the old man gave, the conclusions that came from them - either by his mind, or by the rest of the people here, the new questions that spawned from the lens of understanding he had; Xozo’s mind swam with it. Challenge me.

His gaze turned up to gaze at the rest of the congregation, his peers. Gwendolyn, the human - Caleb - were gathered around Jacob as he was clearly enacting some kind of ritual, one with… blood? The only other nonhuman seemed to be standing as if he was awaiting… something. The rest seemed to be playing the audience as he was, possibly waiting for their chance to prove themselves as well, including one who seemed very intent on starting this test. The Cryptomancer asked himself how he paid no heed to that one. Most humans seem alike to him, but then there are people whose presence feels like a feather against the skin...

If Xozo was being honest, for most of his time he had forgotten to keep track of them all when they were all out, but now he noticed some missing faces; three of them...

Xozo shook his head vehemently, instead focusing on gently urging the nonhuman Deishu along.

“Excuse, but we should leave. We shall have more time to ourselves once we leave. Shall you join us?” He rasped out to the others, his gaze going specifically at Gwen, Caleb, and Jacob.

He knew better to ask where those other three humans are; if he just wasn’t looking hard enough, they’ll chime in soon enough; if he was then the old man took them away. Wait a minute...

"Farewell, Pater. May you find what you are looking for." He turned his head to look at the old man to pay respects. It was the polite thing to do all things being considered.

Xozo will try to move Deishu out of the building and help with the plan on leaving the building.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread